• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG Launches 38WN95C-W Monitor: 38" Nano IPS, QHD+, 144 Hz - 170 Hz, 1 ms, Adaptive-Sync, 2300R, VESA DisplayHDR 600

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
LG today launched their new 38WN95C-W monitor, right alongside a more barebones offering (38WN95C-G) and a gaming-oriented cousin, the 38WN95C-B. Differences are small between the three, so we'll get into the nitty-gritty with the 38WN95C-W. This monitor features a 38" Nano IPS panel with a quoted 1 ms response time, which offers what LG calls QHD+ (3840 x 1600) resolution and an up to 170 Hz refresh rate (via overclocking through the monitor's own OSD; the original, non-overclocked refresh rate stands at a still very respectable 144 Hz). The monitor supports Active-Sync technologies in the form of AMD's FreeSync and NVIDIA's G-Sync via the now ubiquitous "G-Sync Compatible" program, albeit with a VRR range set between 48 Hz and 144 Hz) with LFC (Low Framerate Compensation). There's a 1000:1 contrast ratio, a VESA DisplayHDR 600 certification (activated in lieu of the typical 450 cd/m² brightness) and 98% DCI-P3 colour gamut coverage.

The monitor offers tilt and height adjustment, a 100mm VESA mount, and I/O is taken care of by 1x Thunderbolt 3 (high speed USB-C with DP Alt mode and PD), 1x DP 1.4, 2x HDMI 2.0 ports, 2x USB 3.0 ports (plus upstream), and 1x 3.5 mm headphone jack (besides the usual 2x 2 W speakers). The 'G' model lacks the Thunderbolt 3 port and additional HDMI 2.0 port of this model. The 38WN95C-G's only difference to this monitor is the lack of the ThunderBolt port and only 1x HDMI 2.0. The gaming-centric version, the 38WN95C-B, further cuts the built-in speakers - but offers an RGB ring for added bling. The LG 38WN95C-W is already available for pre-order with prices starting at $1,599.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
I'm interested in the G version, if only to see pricing. LG's pricing on their 38" range has been stratopherically high (as in I bought a 65" LG OLED for the same price high). 38" is a good size (I'm typing on the 75hz version of it now), but twice the price of a high refresh 34" panel is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
that is a hell of a lot of money... might as well just buy the new LG 2020 48" OLED at that point, pass. this doesn't even have HDMI 2.1. the LG has that plus native 120hz 4k and gsync compatible (and its cheaper than this and better picture quality... do I need to keep going on?) if you need 21:9 this bad buy something else cheaper and use the rest of the money to save for that OLED

QDOT or QDEF equivalent? It is left for the imagination.
Though, I highly regard pairing QDOT with IPS is very much important. It cannot have enough of contrast.

that is a hell of a lot of money...
It works like a charm it seems to me. 450lux is quite out of the ordinary. You have to see it in person. With respect to QDEF, QDOT is better, imo. You get more spectral variation with QDOT, it doesn't procure the same wavelength at all luminosities. The colour of the wavelength band changes according to the luma profile. It is not as intense, but more native.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
QDOT or QDEF equivalent? It is left for the imagination.
Though, I highly regard pairing QDOT with IPS is very much important. It cannot have enough of contrast.

It works like a charm it seems to me. 450lux is quite out of the ordinary. You have to see it in person. With respect to QDEF, QDOT is better, imo. You get more spectral variation with QDOT, it doesn't procure the same wavelength at all luminosities. The colour of the wavelength band changes according to the luma profile. It is not as intense, but more native.

no idea what you mean by 450 lux or qdef, does this monitor have qdef? qdot is samsung only correct? so i am guessing this is qdef

no idea what you mean by 450 lux or qdef, does this monitor have qdef? qdot is samsung only correct? so i am guessing this is qdef
You are a good pal, that is correct.
I'm just using my past knowledge on nexus 7 vs. amazon kindle fire hd at displaymate.com.
Lux is very important. It is what markets these products. It is hard to push more light out of the same transistor transmittance window. Each of these are essentially miniature led diodes. You get degredation of the anode – much like batteries and cpus wearing out. The fundamental problem thus is how far you can charge the leds. It isn't all that much if you want reliability. If I were to enable 550lux over my nexus 7, the screen would lose brightness over time.

Also, this suits ips since it is the most light filtering technology and va doesn't translate well to mobile factor scaling, however the benefits are still there. If they did 5500 contrast ratio before, they would easily top that with this tech.
It is in the backplane guide, like a fresnel lens, but 3d nanodots speckled around. It is quite remarkable. I haven't seen this good display of nanotech anywhere.
I wish my display's waveguide had it. It is like having igzo, or you know those sharp 321 displays – but better.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
qdot is samsung only correct?

Quantom Dot is basically an industry standard with many names depending on brand. It's really just an additional particle/film added to the TFT display that glows more brightly when exposed to the backlight.

Think of it this way: They can't fix the grey blacks any better than they already have, so they are raising contrast ratio a different way: By making the bright points brighter.

This goes hand in hand with ltps and also the fresnel grooves that mimic the carapace found on the light organ of a firefly. As it turns out, light bounces back upon a dark medium. It becomes easier to break up the recoiling rays and guide them when presenting fiberoptic ends for it to break through its medium.
PS: for all I know there is a sum of 3 technologies upon this layer. Qdot is the fiberoptic cylindrical pillars of equal height and length. LTPS is the discontinuous layer formation(the more crystals there is, the merrier it gets). There is one other which I have not heard about which is slanted grooves. Afaik, these haven't been used in lcds since they are primarily a led tech.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Quantom Dot is basically an industry standard with many names depending on brand. It's really just an additional particle/film added to the TFT display that glows more brightly when exposed to the backlight.

Think of it this way: They can't fix the grey blacks any better than they already have, so they are raising contrast ratio a different way: By making the bright points brighter.
This is why I hate Quantum dot TVs.
Meeting the HDR contrast spec by searing out your retinas is not a good way to do HDR.

This is why I hate Quantum dot TVs.
Meeting the HDR contrast spec by searing out your retinas is not a good way to do HDR.
Must be the gamma. You can flatten gamma if screen brightness can go much higher.

System Name The Baconator
Processor Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-790FX
Cooling Zalman 9900 CPU Cooler
Memory 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 5870
Storage OS: WD 300Gb @ 10,000rpm. Storage: 2 x 1Tb @ 7,200rpm
Display(s) ASUS 27" LED 1080p Monitor
Case Cooler Master Sniper Medium Tower
Audio Device(s) MoBo Integrated
Power Supply Corsair PSU 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Been wanting to upgrade my 34" 21:9 Acer for one of these for a while, but at this rate, I might as well keep on waiting.
Perhaps next year's will bring the VESA-1000 certification, HDMI 2.1, and perhaps a less ridiculous price tag.... Well, one can hope.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
lol at that price ill rather get a 49/55X900H, which is native 120 and has VRR,
color gamut and calibrated out of the box its even decent for editing (consumer) stuff.
and turning off most processing when gaming, does reduce input lag to what i had on a 60Hz moni i had a few years back.