• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Showcases Two PlayStation 5 Console Versions, Platform-Exclusive Next Generation Games

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Personally I don't even remember when I've bought a console game as new. Skate 3 on X360 probably. These days I just buy old console games from ebay and everything digitally for PC.
I never bought a used console but I did sell my PS3/games though.

And when the PSN shuts down, all of your games will be gone. Those with physical discs will still be able to play their games...
It would take something catastrophic for PSN to shut down. And even if it did, you'd probably be able to download the games beforehand. All of my PS4 games are installed on the disk, so I'm all set there.
My approach to console gaming is a little different however. I don't expect to keep the games forever. I gave my PS2 away with all of the games. I sold my PS3 and most of the games. And I'll probably end up giving away my PS4 as well.
And PC works pretty much the same way, the majority is digital these days and if a digital store goes puff it might just take your games with it.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I never bought a used console but I did sell my PS3/games though.
My last console I've got as new was my first PS2 in 2002 :D (this one I have now is my fourth PS2)

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
It's more on publishers frankly, they're the ones demanding strict deadlines and forcing developers (most of which are in extremely precarious economic situations unlike a lot of publishers) to release things that ideally would get half a year or a full year more development to fix bugs and polish everything.

Cartridges could indeed be good, but that would be really expensive - let's say they go with a base x2 NVMe controller, and use HMB to make it DRAMless, that's still a significant cost compared to a $60 sales price even for 64GB of flash, let alone the 128GB or more that many games would need. Remember, they couldn't use the bargain-basement flash found in USB drives and low-end SD cards, it simply isn't fast enough.

That's true about first part.

Second part, was similar back in NES days I remember where cartridge was way too expensive. But they found a way to reduce overall costs. They can do it again. Hence the concept of mass production. They just went with CD cause it fit more at the time while being cheaper. They could find a way but they wont cause its expensive for them to do so. Its all about minimal costs. Like lack of originality in components for most part as all use same x86 processor and even GPU just clocked differently and or more CU's (well, playstation has some kind of proprietary function on their AMD cpu but not entirely sure what it is as I didn't read too far into it).

Im like Luther, I am an old duck too and just prefer the old days of consoles vs now. But that is just my opinion.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro

Second part, was similar back in NES days I remember where cartridge was way too expensive. But they found a way to reduce overall costs. They can do it again. Hence the concept of mass production. They just went with CD cause it fit more at the time while being cheaper. They could find a way but they wont cause its expensive for them to do so. Its all about minimal costs. Like lack of originality in components for most part as all use same x86 processor and even GPU just clocked differently and or more CU's (well, playstation has some kind of proprietary function on their AMD cpu but not entirely sure what it is as I didn't read too far into it).

Im like Luther, I am an old duck too and just prefer the old days of consoles vs now. But that is just my opinion.
There is a lot of wishful thinking in that statement. First off, "they found a way to reduce costs. They could do it again" - did they, though? Carts were always expensive, and disks have always been much cheaper. From what I remember, the biggest cost savings came from using less storage in the carts, which of course constrained development massively (especially for the N64 which was competing with the disk-based PS1). You will always be able to stamp a thin metal film and squeeze it between a few layers of plastic more cheaply than you are able to assemble a non-volatile silicon-based storage medium. That's just reality. I mean, I would love if someone came up with an affordable non-volatile storage medium that performed on par with flash, but... the storage industry spends billions in R&D on that every year (not to mention universities around the world), but flash is the best we've got, and any replacement is likely to be based on some exotic tech and thus very expensive at least to begin with (such as 3D Xpoint). Flash has a cost. A controller has a cost. A PCB has a cost. A casing has a cost. You can't just wish those away, and volume pricing only gets you so far.

As for it all being about minimal costs: have you seen how many game developers go bankrupt every year? How they struggle between projects? How beholden they are to publishers and platform holders? For developers, it's about survival, about still having a job. For publishers, it's (a lot) about profits - but even their margins wouldn't survive a $20 cost hike for physical games without also increasing game prices. And a $20 base cost for a high performance flash-based game cartridge of sufficient capacity is realistic.

And as for "lack of originality in components"? Are there any alternatives you know of? The computing industry has matured and consolidated massively in the past two decades. In the early 2000s a start-up could show up with some new tech and deliver revolutionary features or performance from seemingly nothing. That is not even remotely possible today, simply because things have developed far beyond that point. I guess they could have gone for an ARM-based CPU, but that would mean no backwards compatibility, and besides, ARM scales worse than X86 at high power. For GPUs, you have a handful of vendors making very similar designs with very similar featuresets - a necessity to support the standards put in place to allow for development. And only two vendors make high performance GPUs, and only one of them has a CPU product and is open for semi-custom work.

These aren't the Xbox/PS2 days when a new console could realistically bring with it new and revolutionary features, simply because coming up with new and revolutionary features is increasingly difficult as time goes by. Most vendors deliver the same featuresets, though mobile GPU vendors are a generation or two behind. Nvidia did something like this with RTX, but now AMD seems to have caught up within a single generation - and it's standardized too, through DXR. And while standards do bring conformity, they also bring ease of development, ultimately delivering better games as developers can spend more time making games and less time learning how to use new and weird tools. The PS2 and PS3 were both excellent illustrations of how promising hardware can be undermined by it being difficult to program for (well, the PS3 had a sub-par GPU, but it's CPU was supposed to be revolutionary, but mostly turned out to be terrible to write games for).

This is how technological development will always go. There is a finite amount of possible hardware configurations that will do what is needed, and a finite amount of possible new techniques to achieve this. The majority will be developed early, and as time goes on, development of new tech/features will slow, simply because the list of new possible solutions is both shorter and the things on that list are much more complex. There might come paradigm shift-shift-like developments that kick off a new wave of innovation (replacing silicon in transistors, for example), but we really haven't seen anything like that in computing since its inception. So expecting equally dramatic developments in a mature field of technology (current PCs and consoles) as in an immature one (say, NES and SNES era consoles) is naive and out of touch with reality. It simply isn't going to happen.

console 600$!
joystick150-200$!
games 75-100$

forget kids consoles and come PC world, where you are master andyou deside when you play games.
single game mode agenda!

:peace:

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
No doubt the cost for the cartridges would have been a lot to compete in storage space of the disk. But initially, cost was huge for third party developers simply because of nintendo's horrendous prices on licensing.

As for component base, well its obvious why they went with x86. Its just that now really, the difference is near non existent between the two besides of course exclusives. To which I say that with Xbox its even less of a need to buy cause most of if not all their games will be on PC anyway.

What I was really hoping for was some kind of Silent Hill game since Sony purchased it from Konami. Oh well.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro

Both RTX Turing/Ampere and RDNA 2 include hardware-accelerated raytracing cores for real-time raytracing which are semi-conductor industry's leading-edge designs. A large amount of TFLOPS from RT cores that can be used beyond graphics related raytracing such as audio and physics.

CELL's SPU software raytracing design approach is no match against designs from NVIDIA's RTX and AMD's RDNA 2 RT cores.

For PS5's DSP, AMD easily designed SPU like solution from its existing CU IP which is CU design without graphics hardware.

AMD and NVIDIA are specialized companies for math array technology companies that produce leading-edge GPUs for most price segments.

Intel is evolving into the world's number 3 GPU design house after NVIDIA and AMD.

My point, if there's something unique concept, PC world will assimilate it.

Last edited:

ARF

Both RTX Turing/Ampere and RDNA 2 include hardware-accelerated raytracing cores for real-time raytracing which are semi-conductor industry's leading-edge designs. A large amount of TFLOPS from RT cores that can be used beyond graphics related raytracing such as audio and physics.

CELL's SPU software raytracing design approach is no much against designs from NVIDIA's RTX and AMD's RDNA 2 RT cores.

For PS5's DSP, AMD easily designed SPU like solution from its existing CU IP which is CU design without graphics hardware.

Intel is evolving into the world's number 3 GPU design house after NVIDIA and AMD.

Given how poor the sound cards implementation is on the vast majority of mainboards, and users' poor headphones, especially those for gaming, it's kind of bizarre why the Audio is a target for development.

Yes, it should be, but the user base first must move to quality components and then the Audio quality should be considered.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro

CELL's SPU software raytracing design approach is no much against designs from NVIDIA's RTX and AMD's RDNA 2 RT cores.

Agree with most of that, except for the last part: what about ARM, Imagination, Qualcomm, Apple? Sure, the third for desktop PC GPUs, but there are plenty of GPU makers out there. It's probably the most contested field in high performance computing still.

Given how poor the sound cards implementation is on the vast majority of mainboards, and users' poor headphones, especially those for gaming, it's kind of bizarre why the Audio is a target for development.

Yes, it should be, but the user base first must move to quality components and then the Audio quality should be considered.
There's a lot that can still be done even if output quality is poor - directionality/spatiality, adapting audio better to headphones, more dynamic audio (where RT comes in; reflections and other interactions with geometry), etc. If the processing power is there this can all be done even on a potato sound output device with Koss Porta Pros. Will it be good? Of course not. Will it be better than what the same people have today? Obviously. And more importantly, these qualities can have much more of an effect on game immersion and world building than pure audio quality - even if that obviously also matters a lot.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
Agree with most of that, except for the last part: what about ARM, Imagination, Qualcomm, Apple? Sure, the third for desktop PC GPUs, but there are plenty of GPU makers out there. It's probably the most contested field in high performance computing still.
At desktop PC power level, ARM Mali, Imagination PowerVR and Qualcomm Adreno GPUs are inferior to Intel, AMD, NVIDIA.

Qualcomm Adreno GPU design is licensed from AMD in the 1st placed. LOL. Read https://www.electronicdesign.com/news/article/21754742/qualcomm-licenses-amd-graphics-core-ip

Adreno 6xx IGP has DirectX12 Feature 12_1 while AMD's RDNA 2 and NVIDIA's RTX have DirectX12 Feature 12_2 aka DirectX12 Ultimate.

ARM Mali GPU is a joke i.e. note why Samsung has licensed AMD's RDNA for mobile phones.

A GFXBench listing for the AMD RDNA architecture that will be used on future Samsung Exynos chips surpasses the current Qualcomm Adreno 650 in many of the synthetic benchmark tests. This Adreno GPU is the one used in the Snapdragon 865 which is already ahead of the race (except against Apple’s A13).

Apple's SoC and GPUs are pointless for 3rd party OEM/ODM vendors

Apple's hardware-accelerated raytracing.... LOL

For pure graphics power for Sony's usage, ARM Mali, Imagination PowerVR, Qualcomm Adreno and Apple A13 IGP solution are inferior AMD's RDNA 2 solution for PS5.

None of ARM Mali, Imagination PowerVR, Qualcomm Adreno 6xx and Apple A13 IGP solution will beat the power of PS4 let alone PS5.

For Windows 10 PC platform, DirectX12 Ultimate is important for real-time audio raytracing along with graphics raytracing.

Last edited:
System Name Gaming PC/ EDU PC/ HFS PC
Processor Intel i9-9900KF/ Dual Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate/ Dual Asrock X370 Proffesional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S/ Arctic Xtreme Freezer/ Ryzen Wraith Prysm RGB
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200/ 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000/ 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus / EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming
Storage Dual 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 6Tb 860 EVO/ 960 EVO 500GB + 18Tb R0/ 840EVO 250Gb + 16Tb R0
Display(s) Samsung 32" U32R590 Curved 3480x2160 / Samsung 32" LC32H711 Curved 2560x1440 Freesync
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830 NV Edition/ Dual Cooler Master 690 Advance II
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 SBX/ Creative X-Fi Titanium Pci-E/ On-board Realtek
Power Supply Triple Corsair Platinum HX850i
Mouse Logitech G7 WL / Logitech G903 Lightspeed / MS BT 8000
Keyboard Dual Logitech G19s
Software Win10 Pro
this design is much better than the original leaked one, which looked like an ugly space ship. This design is more clearer and minimalistic....

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Terrible design and the console is giant compared to the rest:

Based on this trend, the console would soon be the same size as a mid-tower PC. Well they are literally x86 PC with a fancy case and specialised OS anyway, so not surprised.

System Name Gaming PC/ EDU PC/ HFS PC
Processor Intel i9-9900KF/ Dual Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate/ Dual Asrock X370 Proffesional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S/ Arctic Xtreme Freezer/ Ryzen Wraith Prysm RGB
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200/ 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000/ 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus / EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming
Storage Dual 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 6Tb 860 EVO/ 960 EVO 500GB + 18Tb R0/ 840EVO 250Gb + 16Tb R0
Display(s) Samsung 32" U32R590 Curved 3480x2160 / Samsung 32" LC32H711 Curved 2560x1440 Freesync
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830 NV Edition/ Dual Cooler Master 690 Advance II
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 SBX/ Creative X-Fi Titanium Pci-E/ On-board Realtek
Power Supply Triple Corsair Platinum HX850i
Mouse Logitech G7 WL / Logitech G903 Lightspeed / MS BT 8000
Keyboard Dual Logitech G19s
Software Win10 Pro
Based on this trend, the console would soon be the same size as a mid-tower PC. Well they are literally x86 PC with a fancy case and specialised OS anyway, so not surprised.
well, you can't put powerful hardware ot tight spaces without overheat issues, it has to have a little space and a proper cooling, which demands bigger casing, so don't wonder why consoles are growing bigger...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Holy shit. Xbox eat your heart out... this is design, right here. Miles better than the previous version, too.

Damn that looks good... I see not everyone agrees :) But I like it... understated LED that you're not looking straight into, and the philosophy extends to the controller too. That wasn't the case before. It also looks straight up futuristic, could be a movie prop. Seems like a similar design approach to what Samsung does with its latest ultrawides. White with accent, curvy, smooth 'synthetic plating' look.

Also, blue led so it surely runs cooler than competition :pimp:

Bonus points for not looking like a bin, as well.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You're complementing the PS or trashing XSX :wtf:

XSX was already a trash can, so its not hard :D To each his own though. But I'm a smoker, I might mistake the XSX for my ashtray, not good.

Note I'm just commenting on the design of both, not specs or actual performance. I reckon the XSX might have its heat management in order just a tad better from the way its built.

Well tbf it's only one angle, haven't seen a complete rundown of both the latest gens so can't say whether I won't mistake the XSX for a bin either.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Well tbf it's only one angle, haven't seen a complete rundown of both the latest gens so can't say whether I won't mistake the XSX for a bin either.

Here you go, 2 seconds on DDG

I'd seriously be able to drop cig butt in there in some half drunk mood

1591962052205.png

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
At desktop PC power level, ARM Mali, Imagination PowerVR and Qualcomm Adreno GPUs are inferior to Intel, AMD, NVIDIA.

Qualcomm Adreno GPU design is licensed from AMD in the 1st placed. LOL. Read https://www.electronicdesign.com/news/article/21754742/qualcomm-licenses-amd-graphics-core-ip

Adreno 6xx IGP has DirectX12 Feature 12_1 while AMD's RDNA 2 and NVIDIA's RTX have DirectX12 Feature 12_2 aka DirectX12 Ultimate.

ARM Mali GPU is a joke i.e. note why Samsung has licensed AMD's RDNA for mobile phones.

A GFXBench listing for the AMD RDNA architecture that will be used on future Samsung Exynos chips surpasses the current Qualcomm Adreno 650 in many of the synthetic benchmark tests. This Adreno GPU is the one used in the Snapdragon 865 which is already ahead of the race (except against Apple’s A13).

Apple's SoC and GPUs are pointless for 3rd party OEM/ODM vendors

Apple's hardware-accelerated raytracing.... LOL

For pure graphics power for Sony's usage, ARM Mali, Imagination PowerVR, Qualcomm Adreno and Apple A13 IGP solution are inferior AMD's RDNA 2 solution for PS5.

None of ARM Mali, Imagination PowerVR, Qualcomm Adreno 6xx and Apple A13 IGP solution will beat the power of PS4 let alone PS5.
None of that relates to what I said, nor to your initial statement - they are still "GPU design houses" by any reasonable definition of that term.

Also, nice "hey, you don't know anything" flex with "LOL Adreno is even based on an AMD design" stuff - not only is that common knowledge to anyone interested in GPUs, but it has no bearing on my point. AMD sold the Adreno design to Qualcomm in 2009 after all, and I'm willing to bet quite a lot that there has been significant design work done for those GPUs since then. So even if the basis was AMD (well, actually Imageon, bought by ATI, which was then bought by AMD), Qualcomm is nonetheless a GPU design house.

Holy shit. Xbox eat your heart out... this is design, right here. Miles better than the previous version, too.

Damn that looks good... I see not everyone agrees :) But I like it... understated LED that you're not looking straight into, and the philosophy extends to the controller too. That wasn't the case before. It also looks straight up futuristic, could be a movie prop. Seems like a similar design approach to what Samsung does with its latest ultrawides. White with accent, curvy, smooth 'synthetic plating' look.

Also, blue led so it surely runs cooler than competition :pimp:

Bonus points for not looking like a bin, as well.
"Looking like a movie prop", especially when said movie is likely to be a low-budget B-rate pulp sci-fi job, is not that great a compliment. Most people don't want tacky "hey look ma, I drew a spaceship" designs in their living rooms. This looks cheap, tacky, and woefully poorly thought through. Combined with the (massive!) size (see previous post in this thread), this is going to be a problem for a lot of people.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
"Looking like a movie prop", especially when said movie is likely to be a low-budget B-rate pulp sci-fi job, is not that great a compliment. Most people don't want tacky "hey look ma, I drew a spaceship" designs in their living rooms. This looks cheap, tacky, and woefully poorly thought through. Combined with the (massive!) size (see previous post in this thread), this is going to be a problem for a lot of people.

Here's the sort of design in my mind when I saw that PS ;) Wink wink

Do agree though, XSX is much easier to fit in any living room and not look like that sore thumb.
But for teenage bedroom with fancy lights? This fits right in. Yep you got me... I like those fancy lights too, to some degree :p

1591962335030.png

I drew a spaceship" designs in their living rooms.
Hey speak for yourself, I literally drew spaceships for a couple of years in middle(?) school using the shuttle images on our notebooks (the writing variety) & all up to scale with precision instruments of the time :pimp:

Space was & still is a topic close to heart, ever so often I kill time on YT with PBS spacetime videos.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the design. I can't tell but it looks like cheap plastic.
Hopefully it will not be plastic housing...

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hey speak about yourself, I literally drew spaceships for fun for a couple of years in middle(?) school using the shuttle images on our notebooks (the writing variety) & all up to scale with precision instruments of the time :pimp:

Space was & still is a topic close to heart, ever so often I kill time on YT with PBS spacetime videos.
Yes, but as an adult, have you built models based on those drawings and featured them prominently in your living room? I didn't think so ;)

Here's the sort of design in my mind when I saw that PS ;) Wink wink

Do agree though, XSX is much easier to fit in any living room and not look like that sore thumb.
But for teenage bedroom with fancy lights? This fits right in. Yep you got me... I like those fancy lights too, to some degree :p

View attachment 158712
I guess if you meld that with this, you do indeed have something looking like the PS5 :D

I can absolutely enjoy some over the top designs, but this just goes way beyond that and plants both feet + its ass directly in a heaping pile of "tacky". The design style is squarely mid-2000s, the shiny white plastic will look poor in real life compared to renders, the flowy shape will stand out next to anything and thus just emphasize the size of this thing, and the blue LED just screams "hey, I'm 13 years old!" There are many possible points on the axis between "bland and boring" and "over-the-top tacky", yet this seems to have aimed squarely for the latter pole. I don't think the XSX is the best design ever either, but at least it has some subtlety to it.

Not a fan of the design. I can't tell but it looks like cheap plastic.
Hopefully it will not be plastic housing...
All consoles have plastic housings. Anything else is far too expensive. Plastic shell, steel inner cage to ensure rigidity and RF compliance.