• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Launches Playstation Bug Bounty Program

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Thanks to the report of ZDnet, we have information that Sony has launched a bug bounty program for its Playstation console. Sony will pay security researches upwards of $50K for a bug they discover. Of course, there are smaller rewards and it depends on what type of bug is discovered. The starting amount for the bug bounty program is $100. The area of bug exploits includes Playstation Network, the PlayStation 4 console itself, and the PS4 operating system. The bug bounty program is going to be available and managed through the HackerOne platform, where multiple companies like PayPal, Slack, etc. keep track of bugs and offer rewards for them. You can check out the Playstation bug bounty program here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
If amd did that I'd get a 5700 and quit my job

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Sounds like they're attempting to pay off those who would discover, and otherwise release, jailbreaking methods.

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Amen, i have had so many issues with my 5700 since i bought it in December. Always hoping the "Next" driver update fixes issues..
Always brings new ones.
hoping-the-next-leap-was-the-leap-home.jpg

:laugh:

Sorry, your comment reminded me..

Seems a little late for this. All the sudden they care about bugs..

System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
Sounds like they're attempting to pay off those who would discover, and otherwise release, jailbreaking methods.

Well, yeah. But it's also a way for white-hat security researchers to make money so it's a win-win either way. I'm surprised it took Sony this long to start doing bug bounties, it's incredibly irresponsible not to.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

This.
Sony has always been against folks "Tampering" with the consoles they make whether it's beneficial to the end user or not. One example goes way back to the days of the original PSX consoles that have a port on the back of it where a GameShark can be plugged in.
They didn't like it because folks "Could" hack the system with one of those and so on (And that's probrably true BTW) but was also about ignoring the wishes of just guys that wanted a bit of help at times with games. The eventually released the console version with no rear port and that's when the CD version of the GameShark was done and even with that they still tried to stop it.

Another example of something that could be of benefit to the end user they refuse to allow is a simple swap of the BD drive for another if one happens to fail.
You can't just replace it with another working unit, I know with a PS3 it's called "Remarrying" the drive to the system and takes alot of skill and honestly a bit of hacking to do. If they would make an allowance for such situations it woudn't be so bad but it is what it is by their own decision.

I have one right now that works aside from the BD drive but cannot fix it completely because of this lockout that's just beyond stupid - It's actual arrogance on Sony's part. The aim is either for you to pay them to fix it or just buy another unit/upgrade to a newer one.

Sony has a history of not being consumer-friendly in this way and although I can understand efforts against piracy, leaving the end user stuck with no way to fix a console in simple need of a BD drive swap isn't part of it yet they do this anyway.
I am not an advocate of hacking nor do it myself and don't even have the skills to try it but I do know how to fix stuff when it breaks.

Obviously there are going to be those dumb enough to participate, get paid a few measly bucks and let Sony continue this lockout.
Essentially it's Sony paying hackers for them to allow them and everyone else to be stuck once again in this kind of situation.

This.
Sony has always been against folks "Tampering" with the consoles they make whether it's beneficial to the end user or not. One example goes way back to the days of the original PSX consoles that have a port on the back of it where a GameShark can be plugged in.
They didn't like it because folks "Could" hack the system with one of those and so on (And that's probrably true BTW) but was also about ignoring the wishes of just guys that wanted a bit of help at times with games. The eventually released the console version with no rear port and that's when the CD version of the GameShark was done and even with that they still tried to stop it.

Another example of something that could be of benefit to the end user they refuse to allow is a simple swap of the BD drive for another if one happens to fail.
You can't just replace it with another working unit, I know with a PS3 it's called "Remarrying" the drive to the system and takes alot of skill and honestly a bit of hacking to do. If they would make an allowance for such situations it woudn't be so bad but it is what it is by their own decision.

I have one right now that works aside from the BD drive but cannot fix it completely because of this lockout that's just beyond stupid - It's actual arrogance on Sony's part. The aim is either for you to pay them to fix it or just buy another unit/upgrade to a newer one.

Sony has a history of not being consumer-friendly in this way and although I can understand efforts against piracy, leaving the end user stuck with no way to fix a console in simple need of a BD drive swap isn't part of it yet they do this anyway.
I am not an advocate of hacking nor do it myself and don't even have the skills to try it but I do know how to fix stuff when it breaks.

Obviously there are going to be those dumb enough to participate, get paid a few measly bucks and let Sony continue this lockout.
Essentially it's Sony paying hackers for them to allow them and everyone else to be stuck once again in this kind of situation.
The ps3 bluray drive isn't that hard.
You take the logic board from broken drive and swap it out for the logic board in New drive.
I've done a few.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
This.

Purpose for rear port in original PSX was to added MPEG playback capability, thus in form of "Movie Card". But hacker found another purpose for "memory editor", and GameShark was born. First jailbreak for PlayStation 1 if I remembered correctly, was to swap original disc with burned CD game. Modchip is another step up, they bypasses all the dial needed and store it in ROM . Later Sony removed SCART connector in the back of console in slimmer version.
Same thing happened for PS2, hacker were utilizing available USB port to mimicking disc swap techniques were on PSX, but that methods is hit or miss. Later on we had modchip Modbo already invading console and Sony take legal action against them. In slim version however, hacker are able to create automatic Memory Card script that allow homebrew app to launch in boot after Sony remove SUB and firewire in slimmer version.
These forged same techniques for PS3, as earlier jailbreak was to mimicking Service JIG that utilizing USB port.
For PS4 hacker attempted browser attack just like PS Vita, but still not come into fruition :D

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
The ps3 bluray drive isn't that hard.
You take the logic board from broken drive and swap it out for the logic board in New drive.
I've done a few.
If you have the original board in working condition and the drive didn't faile due to an issue with it, you're OK but if it was due to that kind of problem you're screwed.
You can check around, you'll see a ton of these consoles that work but the drives have failed or don't even have it anymore - That's where the fun starts. I've got several drives that work, several boards that's OK but can't get anything to "Go" because I don't have a way to make it work short of remarrying these together and I can't do that either.
Don't have any of the stuff or the technical skill/know-how to do it.

Purpose for rear port in original PSX was to added MPEG playback capability, thus in form of "Movie Card". But hacker found another purpose for "memory editor", and GameShark was born. First jailbreak for PlayStation 1 if I remembered correctly, was to swap original disc with burned CD game. Modchip is another step up, they bypasses all the dial needed and store it in ROM . Later Sony removed SCART connector in the back of console in slimmer version.
Same thing happened for PS2, hacker were utilizing available USB port to mimicking disc swap techniques were on PSX, but that methods is hit or miss. Later on we had modchip Modbo already invading console and Sony take legal action against them. In slim version however, hacker are able to create automatic Memory Card script that allow homebrew app to launch in boot after Sony remove SUB and firewire in slimmer version.
These forged same techniques for PS3, as earlier jailbreak was to mimicking Service JIG that utilizing USB port.
For PS4 hacker attempted browser attack just like PS Vita, but still not come into fruition :D

Gee, you seem to know alot about this..... :D
I still have the GameSharks in both, module and disk form for my consoles and they still work fine.
One is a standard and the other is one that you can figure out/create new codes with by experimenting with it if you want. Also have a V-Mem module in working order as well.