• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen 3900x bios settings

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard x570 aorus elite
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Memory G SKILL Tridentz neo 3600mhz
Video Card(s) rtx 2080 super gigabyte
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Power Supply 750 rog strix
Software win 10 pro
Hi everyone!!

I'm new to this forum.
I bought a new pc for gaming, 3d modelling and graphic design, rendering

CPU : Ryzen 9 3900x
Mobo : x570 aorus elite
Ram : G SKILL Tridentz neo 3600mhz
GPU : rtx 2080 super gigabyte
PSU : 750 rog strix
GPU cooler : Scythe fuma 2

I updated the bios and changed the Ram profile to get the 3600 speed.
But then I read that you have also to change the infinity fabric (to mantain the 1:1 ratio), and consequently the voltage...
.... and that is becoming a little to much for me. Is it worth doing only the ram profile change? or
maybe is better leave everything as out of the stock?
Is there a guide or suggestions for an easy overclock to lower voltage and temperature?
(that I think is safer than running the high x3900 stock temps)
I ve watched a lot of video and I ve assembled the pc by myself but I ve almost never used bios
so I m wondering if this worth the risk invalidating warrenty to increase cpu life time
and gain a better and more stable system...??

I ve also experimented some strange system shut down while playing steam game both using E: crucial mx500 ssd
and C: corsair mp600 (I think due to temp safe shutdown) solved changing to ryzer performance profile
in the win 10 power management and tweaking other value in there.....
I also have had this problem of system shutdown while playin steam on a dell xps with gtx1080 i7 8700k (not sure about cpu)
and was solved changing a value in the intel rapid storage app but somehow I can t install this one
on my new pc...it say : This platform is not supported or something like that... why??

thanks for your help and have a nice day

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Two questions come to mind.....

Did you install something like Ryzen Master, or have other software installed that shows current Infinity Fabric. It may have auto-tuned to follow the DOCP being activated for 3600MHz RAM speed. If not, go to BIOS and look around, it should state the current IF setting. I use Asus typically, and its all shown on the landing page when entering BIOS. RAM voltage changes when enabling DOCP, and with my Asus boards, I don't change any voltages for the Infinity Fabric to run what it should.

Do you do anything that warrants the all-core OC versus the "boost" AMD already uses?

As for lowering the voltage, it is pretty straight forward to locate the CPU voltage, and either set a static voltage or use the offsets, and lower it until instability is reached, or you see a failure to boost to what it should.

Realize that AMD CPUs run warm at idle, it is a given. As long as you are not thermal throttling with the CPU, it should be fine.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
But then I read that you have also to change the infinity fabric (to mantain the 1:1 ratio), and consequently the voltage...
.... and that is becoming a little to much for me. Is it worth doing only the ram profile change? or
maybe is better leave everything as out of the stock?
Is there a guide or suggestions for an easy overclock to lower voltage and temperature?
(that I think is safer than running the high x3900 stock temps)
I ve watched a lot of video and I ve assembled the pc by myself but I ve almost never used bios
so I m wondering if this worth the risk invalidating warrenty to increase cpu life time
and gain a better and more stable system...??

thanks for your help and have a nice day

You don't have to manually change the IF since you ARE running 3600mhz because the ratio gets set automatically.

There is no gain to lowering voltage and it's obviously not recommended by AMD. Just leave it at stock and read up on how to setup hwinfo in concert with afterburner/rtss for monitoring.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
Two questions come to mind.....

Did you install something like Ryzen Master, or have other software installed that shows current Infinity Fabric. It may have auto-tuned to follow the DOCP being activated for 3600MHz RAM speed. If not, go to BIOS and look around, it should state the current IF setting. I use Asus typically, and its all shown on the landing page when entering BIOS. RAM voltage changes when enabling DOCP, and with my Asus boards, I don't change any voltages for the Infinity Fabric to run what it should.

Do you do anything that warrants the all-core OC versus the "boost" AMD already uses?

As for lowering the voltage, it is pretty straight forward to locate the CPU voltage, and either set a static voltage or use the offsets, and lower it until instability is reached, or you see a failure to boost to what it should.

Realize that AMD CPUs run warm at idle, it is a given. As long as you are not thermal throttling with the CPU, it should be fine.
I haven't installed Ryzen Master..great that is auto-tuned just I don't know the value of IF so I can't check if it s ok,
is it the same of the ram? 3600??

Not really just work, play and that cpu boost is great but it continue to boost, stop and then boost again,
so maybe a more stable system with lover temp is better...I don t know..

How do I know if I m thermal throttling ?

ty

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I haven't installed Ryzen Master..great that is auto-tuned just I don't know the value of IF so I can't check if it s ok,
is it the same of the ram? 3600??

Not really just work, play and that cpu boost is great but it continue to boost, stop and then boost again,
so maybe a more stable system with lover temp is better...I don t know..

How do I know if I m thermal throttling ?

ty

Infinity Fabric will likely show you 1800, which is 1:1 with DDR4 single rate, not the doubled data rate. IE CPU-Z shows the ram at 1800 when its 3600MHz, your IF will show the same way.

Boost works on a few factors. Load, temperature, planet alignment for some.... it is designed to work that way, I wouldn't worry about fluctuations.

Thermal throttling is when the temperature of the CPU exceeds its shutoff point. In other words, under load the CPU will dial back the speed until the temperature cools, or you may see that you cannot hit the maximum boost due to temperature limits.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
You don't have to manually change the IF since you ARE running 3600mhz because the ratio gets set automatically.

There is no gain to lowering voltage and it's obviously not recommended by AMD. Just leave it at stock and read up on how to setup hwinfo in concert with afterburner/rtss for monitoring.

Thank you
ok I'll do that.. and what about those strange system shutdowns?

Infinity Fabric will likely show you 1800, which is 1:1 with DDR4 single rate, not the doubled data rate. IE CPU-Z shows the ram at 1800 when its 3600MHz, your IF will show the same way.

Boost works on a few factors. Load, temperature, planet alignment for some.... it is designed to work that way, I wouldn't worry about fluctuations.

Thermal throttling is when the temperature of the CPU exceeds its shutoff point. In other words, under load the CPU will dial back the speed until the temperature cools, or you may see that you cannot hit the maximum boost due to temperature limits.
ok thank you very much and what about those strange system shutdowns?
Why I can t install intel rapid storage app ?

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Try running Rivatuner and HWinfo64, and you should be able to set it up so you can see temps in game and set up logging so if it shutsdown the can check the log.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
Try running Rivatuner and HWinfo64, and you should be able to set it up so you can see temps in game and set up logging so if it shutsdown the can check the log.

thank you
if it will shut down again I will set these up

Hi
today I have run some blender benchmark
gpu ok compared to https://opendata.blender.org/

while doing first cpu bench I got a system shutdown..reebot, same as was appening with games so is not a ssd problem,
then I set a report with Hwinfo but that has never append again....
cpu 3900x almost doubled the time compared to https://opendata.blender.org/
and was running at 3.9 ghz during benchmarks...why so low??

I see also a red value in hwinfo :
Power reporting deviation (accuracy) at 80% during the 2nd bench, then during the 3rd bench went up to 90%.
What is that and has it something to do with the slow cpu speed?

Now I m using stock prism cpu cooler and waiting for the fuma 2, but I don t know if that will change
something about these bad benchmarks and these system shutdowns...
I m still trying to write a report when it crash.
thank you

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
I have got also complete system shutdown while playing
I tried to write hwinfo report and here is what I get..
Why can t I attach logging.CSV and report.LOG....(the files from hwinfo)

At the beginning I got almost instant system shutdown after
lunching a game, then I changed to ryzer performance profile
in the win 10 power management and things are going a little better
but I can t play for and hour without getting a reboot...

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Here's a thread on the red text your seeing, there are a few of them about.

That temp due to benchmarks or gaming ?, if gaming it's more of a issue than if it were a benchmark temp. There is a switch on that cooler to allow it to got faster too.

When you set the ram to 3600 did you set the voltage to 1.35v ?.

Could try running 1600 \ 3200 with the 1.35v dim voltages just to test it's stable or not.

What's the case you using and what kind of air flow does it have ?.

EDIT:

WOW shutdown pretty much right way, i would try dropping the fabric \ memory speed down to 1600 \ 3200 and see if it does it still.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
Here's a thread on the red text your seeing, there are a few of them about.

That temp due to benchmarks or gaming ?, if gaming it's more of a issue than if it were a benchmark temp. There is a switch on that cooler to allow it to got faster too.

When you set the ram to 3600 did you set the voltage to 1.35v ?.

Could try running 1600 \ 3200 with the 1.35v dim voltages just to test it's stable or not.

What's the case you using and what kind of air flow does it have ?.

EDIT:

WOW shutdown pretty much right way, i would try dropping the fabric \ memory speed down to 1600 \ 3200 and see if it does it still.

I still don t understand if is normal or not getting that red value...
that was a blender benchmark on cpu. In gaming I haven t see anything more than 80-82 ° far from 95°
no I din t change any voltage and infinite fabric has autoset to 1800
I have a silverstone RL06 case I think good air flow

Could try running 1600 \ 3200 with the 1.35v dim voltages just to test it's stable or not..did I validate warrenty by doing this?
or should I try to switch the stock cooler to spin faster and undo ram profile change in bios??
basically I go to bios and load optimal setting, save and exit...??

Yes I installed win10, install driver, update bios and set ram profile
and first game I run reboot system immediately

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
If the bios has been updated you should remove the cmos battery and reset the motherboard.

Yeah that pain in the ass to change switch on the cooler, change it to high if you have not already. Thankfully i noticed that before installing it.

Here's some more threads here on TPU about it.

What has this got to do with the warranty ?, not asking you to put uber amounts of volts in it. in fact asking you to just try running it at a slower speed to see if it's more stable.

I don't run my system on auto, after knowing i had a stable system i found out the lowest clocking core (4.3) and set it to 4.2 and cpu volts at 1.30v and lowered it with some trail and error (1.26)v.

At that time i did not mess with my memory i left it at default which was 2133, after i found the system was stable with above setting and i started doing the memory timings. Which is were the crazy shit really starts i think as using the boards\memory default 16,25,25,58,85 with the memory so i changed it and was not having any luck with what i was trying so i thought a reset all back to defaults but all memory setting were like before the reset so my mobo don't seem like it clears and that's with taking the battery out shorting it and unplugging it.

Two who maybe able help you are @TheLostSwede and @theoneandonlymrk

But what i would do is lower the fabric to 1600 and memory to 3200 and memory volts at 1.35v and see if the problem goes away, if not i be checking with another PSU ( as i kinda have a spare ).

Have you all so checked which slots the memory is plugged in too and gone by what the manual says ?.

Have you got enough cooling in your case ?.

Don't know if it be wise to go back to the old bios, that question is should be directed at the manufacture of the board.

Chances are they will ask you to remove the battery and short the pins on the board and up plug it for good measure, and it's worth a try how ever changing to a earlier bios don't sound like a good idea.

I mean make sure your ram voltage is on 1.35v, if the ram is already on 1.35 you could try bumping it up a bit see if that helps say like 1.37 and if that helps maybe try loosen the timings so they can run at their rated volts.

Is it running a bit cooler now with the cooler on high setting ?.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
If the bios has been updated you should remove the cmos battery and reset the motherboard.

Yeah that pain in the ass to change switch on the cooler, change it to high if you have not already. Thankfully i noticed that before installing it.

Here's some more threads here on TPU about it.

What has this got to do with the warranty ?, not asking you to put uber amounts of volts in it. in fact asking you to just try running it at a slower speed to see if it's more stable.

I don't run my system on auto, after knowing i had a stable system i found out the lowest clocking core (4.3) and set it to 4.2 and cpu volts at 1.30v and lowered it with some trail and error (1.26)v.

At that time i did not mess with my memory i left it at default which was 2133, after i found the system was stable with above setting and i started doing the memory timings. Which is were the crazy shit really starts i think as using the boards\memory default 16,25,25,58,85 with the memory so i changed it and was not having any luck with what i was trying so i thought a reset all back to defaults but all memory setting were like before the reset so my mobo don't seem like it clears and that's with taking the battery out shorting it and unplugging it.

Two who maybe able help you are @TheLostSwede and @theoneandonlymrk

But what i would do is lower the fabric to 1600 and memory to 3200 and memory volts at 1.35v and see if the problem goes away, if not i be checking with another PSU ( as i kinda have a spare ).

Have you all so checked which slots the memory is plugged in too and gone by what the manual says ?.

Have you got enough cooling in your case ?.
So I shouldn't have updated the bios...
I updated bios but I have a backup of the first one...can I reload that?

Sorry I understand, I was asking if lowering voltage and setting a fixed clock core speed may or not invalidate warrenty...?
Do you mean ram's memory volts at 1.35v ? How is called that value in bios?
I don t have another psu, unfortunately

Ram slot are A2 B2 as manual says

I ve switched that pretty thing on the prism cooler (by removing gpu) and now it spins very fast.
I ve loaded the optimal bios setting and tomorrow I ll test it again

I hope that the mobo isn t defective...I ve read about similar shutdowns caused by broken mobo
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/eyo0qc
I add a foto of my pc without a panel but do you think that my problem is the cooling??
thank you and have a nice night

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_223105.jpg
    IMG_20200627_223105.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 630
Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
Is it running a bit cooler now with the cooler on high setting ?.
for now with new cooler setting and stock bios setting, i ve only see a little cpu boost but temps seems ecual.
later i ll see if it shuts down again
changing to a earlier bios don't sound like a good idea
so is right to update bios??

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
for now with new cooler setting and stock bios setting, i ve only see a little cpu boost but temps seems ecual.
later i ll see if it shuts down again

so is right to update bios??

Newer bios should be better

Do you mean ram's memory volts at 1.35v ? How is called that value in bios?

Yes your memory voltage should be 1.350v, may need a little more if you have 4 sticks.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
Good morning
now ram are set to default profile..
if games or blenderbench cause reboot again should I try a static oc?
I ll set clocking core to 4.1 and cpu volts at 1.350v , are these the only two value to change? see image please
or should I change also the memory voltage to 1.350v even if now is set to default profile? Is it in the cpu/vram setting?
I have only two sticks

Attachments

• X570_AORUS.jpg
    X570_AORUS.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Should be able to leave the CPU on auto.

the memory should be set to 1.350v. have you ever had the memory on 1.350 ?.

Is this your screenshot ?, if you you have 4x8GB sticks in your system ?.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
Should be able to leave the CPU on auto.

the memory should be set to 1.350v. have you ever had the memory on 1.350 ?.

Is this your screenshot ?, if you you have 4x8GB sticks in your system ?.
Sorry this is not my screen shot, just an expample..
I did nothing in bios, only update and set ram profile

this is a shoot of my bios
so if I get system shutdowns again i ll set:
cpu clock control or cpu clock ratio on 41 is it ratio right?? (and then if pc is stable for a week can i try 4.2 ??)
cpu vcore to 1.3
and DRAM voltage to 1.35
??

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_125245.jpg
    IMG_20200628_125245.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
I would change the memory voltage to 1.350v and leave every thing else on auto.

Then see if every thing is running ok, if found running ok to change the ram speed to 3200 and the fabric to 1600, and if that is successful to try 3600 mem and 1800 fabric.

You have 4 sticks of ram in your system ?, i am asking as it says you have 32GB ram installed from what i can tell.

I believe you can take a screenshot from within the bios, i believe by pressing F1 will show the options.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
I have 2 ddr4 tridentz neo 3600 16gb
so is rigt 1.35 or should i put more?
and should i use amd perfomance or balanced profile in the power managemnt?
i m asking because it is the only other thing that i ve changed

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
1.35v for 2 sticks "should" be good. As for the power management i have used AMD's high performance and Win10's without issue.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
good! for now it seems to be working well!! WOW
i have also increased fan syst speed in bios of the exaust back fan

so if i want to increase ram speed i have to use always 1.35 for voltage?
i ll wait for the cooler to see if benchmark score increases because for now my
render time with cpu are almost doubled....

Thank you very much.. you saved me with that ram voltage thing
i ll let you know if i have other problems..
ty and have a nice evening

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Good to hear, the ram voltage is what they are designed for.

When you get your new cooler be very careful that you do not pull the CPU out with the cooler, yeah you should notice some improvement's when you get the new cooler.

Mine used to hit the 85-90c with the default cooler running Cinebench, with my new cooler i cannot get it over 74c even in a room ambient of 31c.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
Good to hear, the ram voltage is what they are designed for.

When you get your new cooler be very careful that you do not pull the CPU out with the cooler, yeah you should notice some improvement's when you get the new cooler.

Mine used to hit the 85-90c with the default cooler running Cinebench, with my new cooler i cannot get it over 74c even in a room ambient of 31c.
i ll watch some videos on how to do that...thank you for the advise
what cooler are you using? it seems doing its job
i don t understand why ram voltage isn t setting right at the beginning or in auto mode
so everytime i build a pc have i to set it manually ?
with both intel and amd cpu ??
if not pc won't work properly...wtf??

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooling Scythe fuma 2
Storage mp600
Display(s) dell
Case RL06
Software win 10 pro
hi
i have an update:
i can t set ram at 3600, the system shut down while rendering, i also try with more dram voltage but the problem appears again.
also i have installed new cpu cooler with better temp around 80° on load but no increase in benchmark. really strange..
cpu stay just under 4.00 ghz for all time long while rendering

so now i m using ram at 3200 and dram voltage at 1.35, cpu clock ratio 4.3 and cpu vcore at 1.31
with this setting i almost reach the score on blenderbench official page.
(again a little bit slower than aspcected but it is fine 110 sec of my pc against 100 on official page)
i m not been able to check the infinity fabric value cause i can t find it in bios but i hope it sets automatically.
am i ok with these settings or should i change something??

Last edited: