• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2070 Super Ventus OC Power Limit

fgpu

MSI Afterburner shows only 100% on Power Limit slider. I found on this site a vbios for Ventus OC:
Showing the power limit "Adj. Range: -42%, +12% "
How can I flash that firmware?

thatguydave

I have a MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC GP as well and I've wondered that exact same thing myself. I know the card puts out 235w on it's own out of the box (according to GPU-Z and other literature).

Could it be that the power slider in Afterburner is maxed at 100% due to the card already putting out extra power already? That is an honest question I have because it's the only way I can understand why the power slider maxes out at 100%.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM

fgpu

Thank you for your reply. I do not have too much experience with GPU overclocking. But it seems your "GP" version is specified as 235W and my non-GP version is 215W according to the MSI page. I planned to watercool that card with AIO. Maybe my non-GP card is not capable of giving more power due to some electronics component limitation. Now I am wondering if that model is a wise choice for me. I still can return that card, and exchange for something more powerful like a GP model.

thatguydave

I have wondered what the 'GP' stands for, and I suspect 'Greater Power'. Do you know about

I am quite happy with my 2070S Ventus GP OC.
Thank you for your reply. I do not have too much experience with GPU overclocking. But it seems your "GP" version is specified as 235W and my non-GP version is 215W according to the MSI page. I planned to watercool that card with AIO. Maybe my non-GP card is not capable of giving more power due to some electronics component limitation. Now I am wondering if that model is a wise choice for me. I still can return that card, and exchange for something more powerful like a GP model.

I have wondered what the 'GP' stands for and I suspect 'Greater Power'. Check your power usage during a benchmark in GPU-Z under the tab 'Sensors'. Double check what your max wattage is, and if it stays around 215w that'll be you topped out for power at that. Just to reiterate, the power bar in Afterburner is maxed at 100% for my 2070S Ventus GP OC but I do get 235w... Don't be surprised if you see a 100% maxed out power adjustment bar.

I am quite happy with my 2070S Ventus GP OC though. The gaming performance is great at 4k/60 fps (2160 resolution, mostly high settings). It has narrowly beat my 1080ti in benchmarks too! I'm usually not on the side of giving advice (I'm usually asking for help! ) but you'd be wise to consider doing a return/swap for the GP OC model. Hopefully the cost is the same!

Are you wanting to do an AIO cooler install right away/out of the box? I had the EXACT same idea for my GPU, but I decided to wait until after the warranty period. I just installed a Kraken G12 on a 1080ti Gaming X. I have yet to test it, but it looks so cool!

fgpu

Are you wanting to do an AIO cooler install right away/out of the box? I had the EXACT same idea for my GPU, but I decided to wait until after the warranty period.
You read in my mind, or.. ? :) For me the warranty period is also a concern. And yes I plan to do that right away cause I want to use that card for folding at home 24/7 with high utilization. I am trying to double rethink the right GPU for that purpose. My retailer confirmed I will lose warranty after mounting the G12 cooling solution. I read some companies allow repasting GPUs without losing warranty, so it must depend on the country I think. In my case taking off the heatsink will void the warranty. And taking off the heatsink would be similar to losing warranty by reflashing I think.

thatguydave

In my case taking off the heatsink will void the warranty. And taking off the heatsink would be similar to losing warranty by reflashing I think.

I wondered about flashing new bios voiding warranty, my assumption is yes. It would be allowing the card to go beyond it's designed purpose. Are you able to get the 2070S Ventus GP OC? Same cost?

Warranties are peace of mind that you are affording yourself.

fgpu

The best price for the Ventus GP I found is 8% higher than my non-GP version.

I also did a test with my card. I set up fan speed manually to 100% and open the FurMark stress test. HWinfo shows me GPU Power fluctuations between:
- Idle : 14.5W - 15.5W
- Stress : 211W - 216.5W
HwInfo also shows me something like "Performance Limit - Power = Yes" all other limits are reported as "No".

From the wall the difference between idle and stress is about 235W. Adding idle power about 17W gives 252W total from the wall. PSU efficiency around 90% @ 50% load gives 226.8W total power consumption of the card if my calculations are valid.

fgpu

nvflash shows my GPU has a different PCI Device ID 10DE,1EC7. The VBIOS from first post with unlocked power is specified as 10DE,1E84 (that would be the OC GP version as well).

In case of folding@home card with 10DE,1EC7 gets a different project assignment than 10DE,1E84. Even if the overall performance should be comparable I think it is considered as a 'slower' GPU. Need to reconsider option to switch that card for GP model.

thatguydave

I would imagine the 235w power rating has something to do with it.

I am still very pleased with my card. I am able to do 1440p/60fps gaming with all ultra settings, 4k/60fps on mostly high settings. Forza Horizon 4, Doom Eternal, Modern Warfare (new). I do have great air flow which may help maintain the higher performance. I have been looking at prices of 2080 Super cards, but the performance of the 2070 Super Ventus GP OC is just solid for me that I hesitate to buy any other GPU.

I hope you can make the exchange to the GP card. Are they still available for you?

Also, my card can hit a power limit and voltage limit too. Frankly, I feel that is not an entirely bad thing given I am aware that it is drawing as many resources as it can handle to do the job. And it is good to know that it is providing maximum value! At least that is how I see things. :)

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
nvflash shows my GPU has a different PCI Device ID 10DE,1EC7. The VBIOS from first post with unlocked power is specified as 10DE,1E84 (that would be the OC GP version as well).

In case of folding@home card with 10DE,1EC7 gets a different project assignment than 10DE,1E84. Even if the overall performance should be comparable I think it is considered as a 'slower' GPU. Need to reconsider option to switch that card for GP model.

If you want to try one, backup the original, and see if its your card according to these guidelines.

gozzima

Hi,
I just checked my MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC (bought in November 2019) :
- Device ID : 10DE 1E84
- vBIOS : 90.04.76.40.4C
- Power Drawn under load : ~215 W in average, peaks at 228 W (but frequency reduced just after peaks)
When I use the test feature of MSI After Burner, it reaches 1950 MHz and says that limitation is due to power.
In practice under load, core freq is often reduced below 1950 MHz due to power regulation.

It looks that previous version of MSI vBIOS 90.04.76.40.19 has the Power Limit set to 240.0 W despite target stays 215 W.

I just gave it a try just to see if I can get more power with this original vBIOS : Yes, it is now regulating around 240 W !
In addition, MSI Afterburner new OC curve now reaches 2025 MHz !

fgpu, you should give it a try ;)

Screenshot:

GPU-ZNew.gif
TDP.gif

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASUS X570 TUF
Cooling Cougar Aura WC 240mm
Memory 32 GB 3200Mhz CL15
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 TUF Shunt modded - RTX 3060Ti EVGA XC (will shunt mod) - RTX 2080Ti Zotac AMP! Extreme
I found a BIOS that has a much higher Power Limit (280W vs 240W) coming from a GPU board with same output types and same PCIe power configuration :
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/216682/inno3d-rtx2070super-8192-190728
But it is a watercooled IChill board...
Has anyone already tested it on an aircooled board ?
I did on my Ventus GP 2070S when I had it.

Basically the fans spin really slow lol, you have to change the fans for WC or some 120mm fans (I did that when I had it)

gozzima

Just tested the ASUS 2070 Super Dual Evo OC BIOS which has a Power Limit to 258 W and the same number & types of outputs and PCIe power lines as recommended here.
It works flawlessly and I can see the power increase effective in GPU-Z.
Not tested yet in game but it looks promising.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASUS X570 TUF
Cooling Cougar Aura WC 240mm
Memory 32 GB 3200Mhz CL15
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 TUF Shunt modded - RTX 3060Ti EVGA XC (will shunt mod) - RTX 2080Ti Zotac AMP! Extreme
Just tested the ASUS 2070 Super Dual Evo OC BIOS which has a Power Limit to 258 W and the same number & types of outputs and PCIe power lines as recommended here.
It works flawlessly and I can see the power increase effective in GPU-Z.
Not tested yet in game but it looks promising.
My best VBIOS result when I had a 2070S Ventus GP was the Galax Hall of fame VBIOS, samsung VRAM is a must tho.

This is the post I made when I had the 2070S https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-300w-vbios-info-in-post.274548/#post-4403178

gozzima

Ok thanks Panchovix !
As I have Micro VRAM and do not intend to install WC on my GPU, I will keep for the moment Asus Super Dual Evo OC BIOS.
It seems to work fine for me without changing the voltage (just used Afterburner OC NVAPI) :
- under folding@home : ~255 W and GPU clock around 1980 - 2024 MHz / VRAM 1800 MHz
- under CoD Black Ops CW : ~250 W and GPU clock around 1965 MHz / VRAM 1800 MHz

Last edited: