• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I NEED HELP! black screen with livekernelevent (141) AGAIN

Hey guys,

so once I made a thread like this and someone told me to rma the card, so I did (I did it because I was getting livekernelevent141). Then they told me the gpu was faulty and they swapped it for a new one. And now I am getting the livekernelevent 141 again...im running out of options and I need help really bad :(

specs :

GPU : Asrock rx 5600 xt challenger d 6g oc (bios updated)
CPU : Ryzen 5 2600x
MOBO : gigabyte b450m ds3-h
RAM : G.skill aegis ddr4-3200mhz 16gb (F4-3200C16D-16GIS) and btw I changed the voltage to 1.36 instead of 1.35, because games were crashing with 1.35
PSU : GIGABYTE p650b

and I found this in a crash dump, idk if it will be any help :

VIDEO_MINIPORT_FAILED_LIVEDUMP (1b0)

and yesterday I got :

VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Stress test all of your hardware.

Scan or viruses and possible miners.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
did ya ever try to run your ram at lower mhz like default because if it crashes at 1,35volt it will not be fully stable at 1,36v !
whats your soc volt at?
there is more to ram overclocking then push more volts

did ya ever try to run your ram at lower mhz like default because if it crashes at 1,35volt it will not be fully stable at 1,36v !
whats your soc volt at?
there is more to ram overclocking then push more volts
It crashes even without xmp profile enabled so I dont think that ram is the problem here, and I got this error : VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141), and it looks like it has to do something with gpu but I could be wrong : /

and soc voltage is at default I didnt change anything there only ram voltage

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
At this stage you wanna start swapping parts out find a friend that has a spare GPu, ram & power supply you could borrow and swap them in one at a time to test till it stops crashing. though 141 code. Normally in windows logs 141 means power loss or sudden loss of power from bad shutdown etc etc.

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard Asus Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4, Anidees Aureola Duo 140mm case fans
Memory GSkill Trident Z Royal
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE
Storage Samsung 970Evo Boot drive, WD Black 6TB
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z, Kanto Yu4 and Sub8
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G3
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
Maybe a corrupt driver installation? If you haven't already I would try uninstalling the vga drivers with ddu in safe mode. Then boot back into OS and install the latest drivers.

Or maybe corrupted system files. Do the following to check
  • Right-click on Start and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
  • Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and then press Enter. This will fix any corruptions that it finds.
  • Type SFC /Scannow on the prompt, and then press Enter. This scan will repair system files.

At this stage you wanna start swapping parts out find a friend that has a spare GPu, ram & power supply you could borrow and swap them in one at a time to test till it stops crashing. though 141 code. Normally in windows logs 141 means power loss or sudden loss of power from bad shutdown etc etc.
idk if this will be any help, but first game lagged for like a second and then I have seen something like white noise (on monitor) and sound went like : zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
and then the sound stopped and I got no signal on monitor. And I forgot to mention, that when the screen lost signal, every fan in my case was spinning and led lights were turned on as well

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
idk if this will be any help, but first game lagged for like a second and then I have seen something like white noise (on monitor) and sound went like : zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
and then the sound stopped and I got no signal on monitor. And I forgot to mention, that when the screen lost signal, every fan in my case was spinning and led lights were turned on as well

This could also mean that the CPU or GPU is unstable and unable to hold its clocks. We wont know which ones which till you start swapping parts out and testing. Since you've already RMA'd the graphics card id say try swapping out the RAM first or test them with one module plugged in at a time with MEMTEST86 or play a game for a while.

Also 2nd gen Ryzen is notoriously picky with ram and i went through at least 3 different sets of ram before I had a set that ran stable with a machine I was building for a client.

Due to the headache with memory compatibility. enabling XMP might also be counter productive as XMP was primarily an intel thing. Sometimes enabling XMP will cause 2nd Gen Ryzen to be unstable so go into your bios and manually enter in the specifications of your ram. Check that your ram is on the Motherboard manufacturers QVL list.

Your power supply is supposedly an OK one. Not great but not terrible either so i dont think that could be the cause. Nothing you can do but just rule each part out by process of elimination till you find out whats faulty.

This could also mean that the CPU or GPU is unstable and unable to hold its clocks. We wont know which ones which till you start swapping parts out and testing. Since you've already RMA'd the graphics card id say try swapping out the RAM first or test them with one module plugged in at a time with MEMTEST86 or play a game for a while.

Also 2nd gen Ryzen is notoriously picky with ram and i went through at least 3 different sets of ram before I had a set that ran stable with a machine I was building for a client.

Due to the headache with memory compatibility. enabling XMP might also be counter productive as XMP was primarily an intel thing. Sometimes enabling XMP will cause 2nd Gen Ryzen to be unstable so go into your bios and manually enter in the specifications of your ram. Check that your ram is on the Motherboard manufacturers QVL list.

Your power supply is supposedly an OK one. Not great but not terrible either so i dont think that could be the cause. Nothing you can do but just rule each part out by process of elimination till you find out whats faulty.
Ok, Im going to try it.
Btw, is it ok if my ram has the QVL list (on its website) and my mobo is listed on it?

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah that's fine

Yeah that's fine

sooo

the worst problem is that its crashing randomly

today it crashed like after one hour of playing and sometimes it crashes even when I just start the game and another time it goes without crashes for 2 hours straight
and I always get the VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)

I even tried to set the frequency and timings manually on the ram but it still crashes

and temps are alright btw

I just dont know what to do at this point :(

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
@OxGeNiD - what have you tried so far in terms of troubleshooting?

So if I understand correctly you had the 141 error and rma'd the vga card to the manufacturer. They found the card was defective and sent you a replacement and now the new one is doing the exact same thing? If that is the case I think its possible that your power supply or mobo might be causing your vga to go bad. First, if possible try your graphics card in another system and if you get the 141 error then the replacement card is pooched and will need to be rma'd again. I would do this first before trying another graphics card in your system.

Have you tried running Memtest? Remember to test each dimm separately.

Last edited:
@OxGeNiD - what have you tried so far in terms of troubleshooting?
I RMA,d the gpu

I ran RAM on 2133mhz

stress tested cpu and ram

I tried changing the hdmi cable

I tried reinstalling the gpu drivers like 100x times

I tried scanning for corrupted files and viruses

I tried changing the ram voltage

I even tried turning off options like fast boot and changing power plans...

And I tried changing the monitor

And I tried unconnecting the gpu and then connecting it back

This could also mean that the CPU or GPU is unstable and unable to hold its clocks.

And I noticed that when I play CS:GO it never crashes, maybe its because of my gpu staying at low % usage

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
And I noticed that when I play CS:GO it never crashes, maybe its because of my gpu staying at low % usage
This has me thinking your psu may not be supplying enough juice to the card. Is it a modular psu? Can you try a different pcie cable? Or different pcie connector on the psu?

Have you tried putting the card in a different slot on the mobo?

This has me thinking your psu may not be supplying enough juice to the card. Is it a modular psu? Can you try a different pcie cable? Or different pcie connector on the psu?

its non-modular i think, and im going to try those two things later
Motherboard bios up to date?
yes it is

and btw I talked too soon, it crashed even when playing csgo and now I got BSOD with error code : VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
D

Deleted member 193596

Hey guys,

so once I made a thread like this and someone told me to rma the card, so I did (I did it because I was getting livekernelevent141). Then they told me the gpu was faulty and they swapped it for a new one. And now I am getting the livekernelevent 141 again...im running out of options and I need help really bad :(

specs :

GPU : Asrock rx 5600 xt challenger d 6g oc (bios updated)
CPU : Ryzen 5 2600x
MOBO : gigabyte b450m ds3-h
RAM : G.skill aegis ddr4-3200mhz 16gb (F4-3200C16D-16GIS) and btw I changed the voltage to 1.36 instead of 1.35, because games were crashing with 1.35
PSU : GIGABYTE p650b

and I found this in a crash dump, idk if it will be any help :

VIDEO_MINIPORT_FAILED_LIVEDUMP (1b0)

and yesterday I got :

VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)

i am disappointed how everybody ignores the fact that this is just the AMD Experience with NAVI.
there is probably no hardware issue, no ram issue, no cpu or Mobo issue...

It's just the absolute BS Driver experience that AMD delivers here.

the drivers are fundamentally broken and your hardware is 99.9% fine.

especially because i have the exact same Bluescreens with all of my 4 AMD Cards.
and all my Nvidia cards work perfectly fine (1050 ti, 1060, 1070, 1080 Ti, 1660 Ti, 2070 Super and 2080 Ti)

Does your pc has sufficient cooling? Also which version of OS?
VIDEO_TRD_FAILURE can occure for various reasons, here is the reasons :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../debugger/bug-check-0x116---video-tdr-failure Try to diagnose those.
My gpu goes MAX 74 degrees on full load, but usually its at 70 degrees

It looks like my only option is to run memtest to check if my memory is faulty but ive heard that it could take hours...

i am disappointed how everybody ignores the fact that this is just the AMD Experience with NAVI.

especially because i have the exact same Bluescreens with all of my 4 AMD Cards.
and all my Nvidia cards work perfectly fine (1050 ti, 1060, 1070, 1080 Ti, 1660 Ti, 2070 Super and 2080 Ti)
I just hope you are not right...

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I had a similar problem with my 5600XT pulse from Sapphire. Random crashes in Unigine and games. Base clocks were 1750Mhz core and 1500Mhz vmem. No matter what I did it had been crashing randomly.
My medicine was swapping the PSU from an old Corsair AXi 760W to a Seasonic 750W GOLD. After that (without any computer components tweaks all set as always) all gone. Now I run it 1750/1750 Core/Vmem. No more crashes, black screens or such. I ran Unigine for 10h straight and nothing happened. I'd try that.

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home

At first I thought the issues were software or driver related too but that was before I realized he had done an RMA. If crappy drivers were the problem then the manufacturer would have tested the card and found no issues with the RMA and they would have returned the original card. Instead they found something defective with it and replaced his card.

And now that he is having the same issues with the replacement card that tells me that another system component is the cause of the problems. Could be a psu gone bad, maybe a faulty card slot on the mobo or the mobo itself.

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
@OxGeNiD - are you able to test the 5600 in another system?

@OxGeNiD - are you able to test the 5600 in another system?
no

I had a similar problem with my 5600XT pulse from Sapphire. Random crashes in Unigine and games. Base clocks were 1750Mhz core and 1500Mhz vmem. No matter what I did it had been crashing randomly.
My medicine was swapping the PSU from an old Corsair AXi 760W to a Seasonic 750W GOLD. After that (without any computer components tweaks all set as always) all gone. Now I run it 1750/1750 Core/Vmem. No more crashes, black screens or such. I ran Unigine for 10h straight and nothing happened. I'd try that.
I dont have just spare money laying around and waiting for me to buy a new psu with them...

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
Ok, first I suggest trying the 5600 in another slot on the mobo and run some games and benchmarks. If that doesn't work you could try removing one stick of ram and run games and benches again. Then do the same with the other stick of ram.