• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game looks very smooth in recordings but not when I'm playing or recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I play it feels like 20 fps but when I'm recording it still feels like 20 fps except the recording looks like it was recorded in 4k. I really need help it's getting really annoying. It can't be screen tearing because no matter what I do with V-Sync it still lags and I don't see screen tearing and on valorant it tears when I have my fps capped. Anything would help. Running a 1650, i5-9300H 8GB it's the acer nitro 5 15.6"

System Name future xeon II
Processor DUAL SOCKET xeon e5 2686 v3 , 36c/72t, hacked all cores @3.5ghz, TDP limit hacked
Motherboard asrock rack ep2c612 ws
Cooling case fans,liquid corsair h100iv2 x2
Memory 96 gb ddr4 2133mhz gskill+corsair
Video Card(s) 2x 1080 sc acx3 SLI, @STOCK
Storage Hp ex950 2tb nvme+ adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb nvme+ sata ssd's+ spinners
Display(s) philips 40" bdm4065uc 4k @60
Case silverstone temjin tj07-b
Audio Device(s) sb Z
Power Supply corsair hx1200i
Mouse corsair m95 16 buttons
Keyboard microsoft internet keyboard pro
Software windows 10 x64 1903 ,enterprise
Benchmark Scores fire strike ultra- 10k time spy- 15k cpu z- 400/15000
weak cpu? bottlenecks? too little ram? or all of the above

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
They also posted this thread yesterday:

It can't be screen tearing because no matter what I do with V-Sync it still lags and I don't see screen tearing and on valorant it tears when I have my fps capped.
Which is it? You claim to not see tearing with VSync but then say it tears while playing Valorant. Sharing one of these recordings you speak of might help us diagnose your issue. In your Windows 10 Power and Sleep settings, are you set to high performance mode? Are you playing on the laptop while it is plugged in or on battery power?

Edit: You could also download LatencyMon and run that while gaming to see if that can give us a clue towards what's causing the stuttering

Last edited:
It can’t be a weak cpu or bottle neck because I tried playing on gpu and cpu alone, it gives you option and both had same issue but in recording it’s as if my game is at 4K smooth. 8gb should be ideal since while playing MC it only goes up to 5gb

They also posted this thread yesterday:

Which is it? You claim to not see tearing with VSync but then say it tears while playing Valorant. Sharing one of these recordings you speak of might help us diagnose your issue. In your Windows 10 Power and Sleep settings, are you set to high performance mode? Are you playing on the laptop while it is plugged in or on battery power?

Edit: You could also download LatencyMon and run that while gaming to see if that can give us a clue towards what's causing the stuttering
With vsyn there is only lines that run up when I make sharp moves but game is not smooth unless I record and look at the recording it shows it being smooth I’ll see the latencyMon as soon as I get home. I’m set on high performance and my game is plugged. Idk I’m so confused because it doesn’t lag in recording but when I’m playing it feels so bad

System Name Times Killer
Processor Rytzen 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H110 Extreme Performance AIO
Memory 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-38
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 3080 10gb +130/1200 / MSI RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X OC +180/+850
Storage 2 X 1TB WD blue 1X 4gb WB red 1x LG WH16NS40 16x blu-ray writer 1X 12TB WD Gold
Display(s) HP Omen X 27
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D W/ airflow kit
Audio Device(s) SoundblasterX AE-5 plus / Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Carsair 850-M
Mouse Logitech Proteus spectrum G502
Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
Software Windows 10 home
sounds to me like the encoding might be taking most of the cpu power.. try allocating half the cores to the game and half to the encoding....

System Name Times Killer
Processor Rytzen 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H110 Extreme Performance AIO
Memory 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-38
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 3080 10gb +130/1200 / MSI RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X OC +180/+850
Storage 2 X 1TB WD blue 1X 4gb WB red 1x LG WH16NS40 16x blu-ray writer 1X 12TB WD Gold
Display(s) HP Omen X 27
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D W/ airflow kit
Audio Device(s) SoundblasterX AE-5 plus / Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Carsair 850-M
Mouse Logitech Proteus spectrum G502
Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
Software Windows 10 home
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
It can’t be a weak cpu or bottle neck because I tried playing on gpu and cpu alone, it gives you option and both had same issue but in recording it’s as if my game is at 4K smooth. 8gb should be ideal since while playing MC it only goes up to 5gb
What do you mean play on GPU and CPU alone? You could be experiencing some CPU bottlenecking, as you mention in the other thread that your CPU usage spikes up to 100% sometimes while playing valorant. Are you always recording your gameplay? Does it also stutter when you're not recording? 8GB is not really ideal for gaming in 2020 - it's the bare minimum. Odds are that you're only running a single 8GB stick as well so you don't benefit from dual channel memory.
With vsyn there is only lines that run up when I make sharp moves but game is not smooth unless I record and look at the recording it shows it being smooth I’ll see the latencyMon as soon as I get home. I’m set on high performance and my game is plugged. Idk I’m so confused because it doesn’t lag in recording but when I’m playing it feels so bad
Are your drivers (chipset, VGA) up to date? There shouldn't be any tearing with Vsync on - try forcing Vsync through Nvidia Control Panel. Would be helpful if you could share a recording sample, ideally with an in-game overlay on that can show us usage numbers and performance metrics

What do you mean play on GPU and CPU alone? You could be experiencing some CPU bottlenecking, as you mention in the other thread that your CPU usage spikes up to 100% sometimes while playing valorant. Are you always recording your gameplay? Does it also stutter when you're not recording? 8GB is not really ideal for gaming in 2020 - it's the bare minimum. Odds are that you're only running a single 8GB stick as well so you don't benefit from dual channel memory.

Are your drivers (chipset, VGA) up to date? There shouldn't be any tearing with Vsync on - try forcing Vsync through Nvidia Control Panel. Would be helpful if you could share a recording sample, ideally with an in-game overlay on that can show us usage numbers and performance metrics
I am running one stick but does that mean I should get another stick of memory ? Would that help? The game is smooth in recording it's just I don't perceive it as smooth. I'm assuming it could be something wrong with my display? But it is a laptop and it was good for the first 2 weeks it shouldn't just all of a sudden go bad. And I got confused about the CPU and GPU using it individually.

sounds to me like the encoding might be taking most of the cpu power.. try allocating half the cores to the game and half to the encoding....
All the cores are going to the game so should I just uncheck half?

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
I am running one stick but does that mean I should get another stick of memory ? Would that help?
It would probably help, but I'm confident we can get this resolved without you having to buy more hardware. You're not memory limited (according to your reports in the other thread of 50-65% RAM utilization) so don't go shelling out for RAM.

I'm assuming it could be something wrong with my display?
I'm thinking this is a software/driver/settings issue, not a hardware one.

But it is a laptop and it was good for the first 2 weeks it shouldn't just all of a sudden go bad.
You mentioned first downloading Fortnite after having owned it for two weeks. Were you gaming on it in the first two weeks? How was performance then?

Again, are you always recording gameplay? Try gaming without any active recording and see if that helps. Closing any other background processes might help as well. Are drivers up to date? Here's the support page with driver downloads: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7964?b=1. Sharing some recording footage with usage numbers might help us figure this out quicker.

It would probably help, but I'm confident we can get this resolved without you having to buy more hardware. You're not memory limited (according to your reports in the other thread of 50-65% RAM utilization) so don't go shelling out for RAM.

You mentioned first downloading Fortnite after having owned it for two weeks. Were you gaming on it in the first two weeks? How was performance then?

Again, are you always recording gameplay? Try gaming without any active recording and see if that helps. Closing any other background processes might help as well. Are drivers up to date? Here's the support page with driver downloads: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7964?b=1. Sharing some recording footage with usage numbers might help us figure this out quicker.
I downloaded fortnite a week after I got my PC and it felt like 10 fps on 200 I was so confused. Then my other games were still good till I downloaded Valorant and saw that the game was not smooth and fps was high then I got worried. But MC was fine till a few days later MC turned to shit too. I've gone through device manager updated all of them and I have not downloaded the acer ones after I clean installed my PC because I thought that might be causing it. Should I use MSI Afterburner for the usage numbers?

my usage is wayyy higher on task manager at around 85 cpu and 90 gpu

it felt like 10 fps in the making

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
I've gone through device manager updated all of them and I have not downloaded the acer ones after I clean installed my PC because I thought that might be causing it.
I would make sure to at least get the chipset driver from the Acer site I linked and head to Nvidia's page ( https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/) and get the latest WHQL driver (451.48) after putting in your hardware information (GeForce, GeForce 16 Series (Notebooks), GeForce GTX 1650, Windows 10 64 Bit, English, Game Ready Driver)

While updating via Device Manager is convenient, I find Windows doesn't always do the best job of ensuring you get the newest driver.

Did you ever get around to using LatencyMon while gaming?

I would make sure to at least get the chipset driver from the Acer site I linked and head to Nvidia's page ( https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/) and get the latest WHQL driver (451.48) after putting in your hardware information (GeForce, GeForce 16 Series (Notebooks), GeForce GTX 1650, Windows 10 64 Bit, English, Game Ready Driver)

While updating via Device Manager is convenient, I find Windows doesn't always do the best job of ensuring you get the newest driver.

Did you ever get around to using LatencyMon while gaming?
I’ll get to the latency mon as soon as I’m back and you have no idea how much I appreciate the time you’re taking to help, thank you so much man!! I’ll update you as soon as possible

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
I’ll get to the latency mon as soon as I’m back and you have no idea how much I appreciate the time you’re taking to help, thank you so much man!! I’ll update you as soon as possible
Hey, don't thank me yet, we haven't really gotten anywhere. Happy to help!

Hey, don't thank me yet, we haven't really gotten anywhere. Happy to help!
Should I update the chipset driver though? It dates back to 2019

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:01:37 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: LAPTOP-5VDOFTMS
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 19041 (x64)
Hardware: Nitro AN515-54, Acer, CFL, Octavia_CFS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz
Logical processors: 8
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8029 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 240 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1107.60
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 13.520528

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 989.20
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 7.958060

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 417.42250
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.010913
Driver with highest ISR total time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.015198

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 12379
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1921.086667
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: tcpip.sys - TCP/IP Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.404554
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 451.48 , NVIDIA Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.912642

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 402314
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1069
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 2
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: epowerbutton_nb.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 7639
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 6391
Number of processes hit: 16

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 12.600584
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 31.230
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000261
CPU 0 ISR count: 47
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1109.4450
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 5.803779
CPU 0 DPC count: 298353
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.509108
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 79.3650
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.018283
CPU 1 ISR count: 2852
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 620.73750
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.640675
CPU 1 DPC count: 16127
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 2.140118
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 187.154167
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.064475
CPU 2 ISR count: 6643
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 745.5750
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.41890
CPU 2 DPC count: 17332
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.862396
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 417.42250
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.034934
CPU 3 ISR count: 2838
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 619.386667
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.049198
CPU 3 DPC count: 6215
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.443173
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 217.380
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.033295
CPU 4 DPC count: 7653
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.383482
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 147.214167
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.011259
CPU 5 DPC count: 4300
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.205201
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1921.086667
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.118532
CPU 6 DPC count: 52756
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.352982
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 261.941667
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.007631
CPU 7 DPC count: 649

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Should I update the chipset driver though? It dates back to 2019
I would imagine that Acer has kept the driver listings on it's product page up to date. You can check what the date on your current one is in Device Manager. It should be under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. If the driver date on your current one is older than the April 2019 date for the one on the Acer site, then I would update it.

I would imagine that Acer has kept the driver listings on it's product page up to date. You can check what the date on your current one is in Device Manager. It should be under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. If the driver date on your current one is older than the April 2019 date for the one on the Acer site, then I would update it.
okay

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
yep the driver I have is from 2018

I'm going to take a look at that thread once I finish up with drivers

I updated the driver but in Device manager it still shows that it's the 2018 version
Did you restart your PC? I assume you downloaded the chipset driver from the acer product support page and ran the files that were downloaded

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 417.42250
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1921.086667
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: tcpip.sys - TCP/IP Driver, Microsoft Corporation
I would update your audio driver, LAN driver, and your Wireless LAN drivers via that Acer support page.

Another potentially helpful thread to check out: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ame-rtx-2070-super-desperate-for-help.268765/

Try your best to ignore all the AMD vs. Intel and AMD vs. Nvidia spam in that one

bfkerek

You have got Acer Nitro 5 - AN515-54-77VS ? It has two videocards...
#1 the integraten in the CPU : Intel® UHD Graphics 630
#2 and the dedicated: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
- Maybe somehow you setup the weaker integrated GPU set as default, and the games won't use the dedicated GTX 1650?
You must setup to use the GTX 1650 to default "high performance GPU"
Switching to the dedicated Nvidia GPU
- First, open the Nvidia Control Panel. One way to do that is right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop and choosing Nvidia Control Panel from the menu.
- Navigate to 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings.
- Open the tab Program Settings and choose the game from the dropdown menu.
- Next, select the preferred graphics processor for this program from the second dropdown. Your Nvidia GPU should show as High performance Nvidia processor.

You have got Acer Nitro 5 - AN515-54-77VS ? It has two videocards...
#1 the integraten in the CPU : Intel® UHD Graphics 630
#2 and the dedicated: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
- Maybe somehow you setup the weaker integrated GPU set as default, and the games won't use the dedicated GTX 1650?
You must setup to use the GTX 1650 to default "high performance GPU"
Switching to the dedicated Nvidia GPU
- First, open the Nvidia Control Panel. One way to do that is right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop and choosing Nvidia Control Panel from the menu.
- Navigate to 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings.
- Open the tab Program Settings and choose the game from the dropdown menu.
- Next, select the preferred graphics processor for this program from the second dropdown. Your Nvidia GPU should show as High performance Nvidia processor.

I've done this I made sure my games were running on my Nvidia graphics card, even without it my game lags at high fps but comes out crystal clear on recordings

I would update your audio driver, LAN driver, and your Wireless LAN drivers via that Acer support page.

Another potentially helpful thread to check out: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ame-rtx-2070-super-desperate-for-help.268765/

Try your best to ignore all the AMD vs. Intel and AMD vs. Nvidia spam in that one
Will do

Status
Not open for further replies.