• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Modern case airflow vs giants of yesteryear, results... wow!

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
So, I decided to move my OC/tinker-with/tweak PC (9600k OCd to 5.233GHz @ 1.36v & 2 x GeForce 1070-8GB in SLI) into a 13 year old Cosmos 1000 that I refurbed over the last week or so (paint job, some panel modding, etc). For testing purposes, I set it up as such, airflow wise: a single bottom 120mm intake, a single rear 120mm exhaust, a single 120mm top exhaust. Three fans total.

Host case is a "modern" triple tempered glass RGB "errywhere" cube (Anidees Crystal AI Cube) with 4x120mm front intake, 4x120mm top exhaust, 1x120mm bottom intake , 1x80mm exhaust for the HDD cage.

All in all, 3 fans vs. 10 fans on the "modern" cube.

Observed results in the Cosmos 1000 were as such (oh boy!) (Cinebench R15 and 3DMark TimeSpy loops were used to warm up the hardware for 45 min a piece):

load CPU: 8C drop
idle CPU: 3C drop
load GPU top: 14c drop (!!!!!)
load GPU bottom: 12c drop (!!!!!)
PCH: 2C drop
VRM 6C drop

Yes, a 14C drop on the topmost video card!!! I was blown away a 13 year old case could do this with only 3x120mm fans. (albeit really good and somewhat loud 120mm fans, Kaze Ultra 133CFM non-RGB black brick looking things)

I blame the fact front glass pretty much chokes the intake on the host case (4x120mm front fans are pretty much drawing air from inside). Again, this is 90% of new cases on the market. The only viable intake on this cube is the bottom 120mm and that is choked off by the second GPU.

The latest move to "meshify" some of these modern tempered glass monstrosities seems prudent, but still differences I saw were major and I doubt adding $3 worth of plastic meshing up front as lame afterthought will fix what ultimately is poor design top-to-bottom (Entire supporting substructure of cases is tweaked, sometimes severely, to allow for better placement of thumbscrews or hinges for the tempered glass panels for instance.) I feel like modern cases need a major rethink and move towards airflow oriented design... that is if the Twitch-Fortnite-RGB-tempred-glass brigade will let us have it, since they are major group setting the trends nowadays. Sigh...

I blame the fact front glass pretty much chokes the intake on the host case (4x120mm front fans are pretty much drawing air from inside). Again, this is 90% of new cases on the market.
I'm not surprised. A lot of modern cases are pretentious beyond belief and almost entirely about form over function. One of the coolest running budget cases I've owned was a Rosewill Line M. How come? Because aside from the front fan not being starved of air, having 2x 120mm side fans blowing cold air directly onto the CPU, GPU & VRM's made a far bigger difference on temps in practise than "modern" front-only air intakes that are "balanced" to top exhausts. The "obsolete" top-mounted PSU design had reversible screw holes so that it could be flipped (facing upwards), so simply cutting a 120mm intake in the top of the case above the PSU with a Dremel and adding a magnetic dust filter on top meant that it too could suck cold air straight from outside of the top of the case, but also passive / fanless PSU's could directly vent hot air straight up and out of the top of the case (the best of both worlds whereas bottom-mounting is cr*p for fanless PSU's in any orientation). Top-mounted PSU also = the flexibility to use an SFX PSU (eg, Corsair SF450) with an ATX-SFX adaptor, gain a huge amount of space and solve the cable management problem by simply having naturally shorter 35-50cm cables "just right" for MATX/ITX that don't have an excess that needs hiding in the first place. Combined with a HDD mounting near the front 120mm intake, every component in the case (CPU, motherboard VRM, GPU, PSU and HDD) had cold air blowing directly onto it. Finally, it had those rare highly flexible things called "drive bays" which even if you don't own an optical drive today, still allow you to add newer USB ports (eg, USB 3.1 Gen 2 C or perhaps 2x extra fast charge ports that draw straight from the PSU via a SATA power cable so that 20-30w charge actually meant 20-30w).

So it's not uncommon to see £29 8 year old cases with drive bays and side air intakes that have better thermals and front USB connectivity than £99 8 week old overpriced pretentious tempered glass hotboxes, and if you listen carefully at night you can hear the latter quietly scream out "I don't want to be a greenhouse, please just drill some holes in the side of me to let some cold air in over the hottest components!!!"... ;)

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
120x38s are pretty good, I have 4 in my case right now, but when I was running my Z77 the cpu cooler was lower so I was able to run 6x 120x38s. I mostly ran them at 7v, 12v for benching or stressing :) I’ve got a new z77 board coming so hopefully she works, if so I’ll be slapping my other fans back in if I can. It’s an eatx board so I might have to move back to my Define R4 which would be a bummer. Hopefully I can make it work.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
3 intakes ,3 outs is all that's required unobstructed.
Some glass cases are better than others and just as important.
Some builds are better at cooling than others.

Don't get me wrong though a good case doesn't become a bad case with age within Reason ,EATX has been solid.
So has that case, I always wanted one but wouldn't part with the cash.

1. You can eliminate differences in air temps between top and bottom cards buy mounting a 120mm fan on the back of the HD cage blowoing beweteen the cards... or where one had historically been. You case is designed with a HD fan mount

2. Good description of the 3 fan case but lacking on "10 fans"

3. Normally, could improve things on the three fan situation:

Ideally, single bottom 120mm intake, a single rear 120mm exhaust, a single 120mm top exhaust, would be better served by single bottom 120mm intake, a single rear 120mm exhaust, a single 120mm front intake. But they don 't have a front fan mount Here's your issue.

a) Intake fans are limited by the intake air filters, once dusty, they can reduce air flow by up to 30-33 % ... general rule of them is to have 1/3 to 1.2 more intakes than exhausts. lets say your exhaust fans, w/o filters = 1.00 equivalent fans (EF) ... Let's be generous and say that you a bit anal about cleaning air filters and they never rop lower than 80%

Exhaust = 2 x 1.00 = 2.00 EF
Intake = 1 x 0.80 = 0.80

Since intake cfm must = exhaust cfm, that means 1.2 fans worth of air is getting in somewhere and that somewhere is mostly your rear grille and vented slot covers. Now what's back there ? Isn't that where your twin video cards exhaust ? And your 950 watt PSU ? Might not be bad on the workbench, but when typically placed on a desk with rear facing the wall, the hot exhaust from these components would surely be being sucked right back into the case. You can demonstrate this easily with a $39 garage band fog machine from Amazon

So if you're modding the case, adding 2 or 3 fan mounts , along the side down by PSU ==> HD cages would be ideal

Not enough info to address the 10 fan situation but I suspect, similar condition where hot exhaust is being recycled thru case.

BTW, I have never found a reason to use anything pushing more air than a 140 x 1200 rpm fan (well back in the 90s when rad fpi's were in to 30s, yes) ... I tend to use a lot of them (due to push / pull on rads) but they rarely break 650 rpm and are dead silent.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Someone obviously hasn't been following GamersNexus's year-long crusade against poor airflow designs. Still interesting to see, but in no way surprising.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
So, I decided to move my OC/tinker-with/tweak PC (9600k OCd to 5.233GHz @ 1.36v & 2 x GeForce 1070-8GB in SLI) into a 13 year old Cosmos 1000 that I refurbed over the last week or so (paint job, some panel modding, etc). For testing purposes, I set it up as such, airflow wise: a single bottom 120mm intake, a single rear 120mm exhaust, a single 120mm top exhaust. Three fans total.

Host case is a "modern" triple tempered glass RGB "errywhere" cube (Anidees Crystal AI Cube) with 4x120mm front intake, 4x120mm top exhaust, 1x120mm bottom intake , 1x80mm exhaust for the HDD cage.

All in all, 3 fans vs. 10 fans on the "modern" cube.

Observed results in the Cosmos 1000 were as such (oh boy!) (Cinebench R15 and 3DMark TimeSpy loops were used to warm up the hardware for 45 min a piece):

load CPU: 8C drop
idle CPU: 3C drop
load GPU top: 14c drop (!!!!!)
load GPU bottom: 12c drop (!!!!!)
PCH: 2C drop
VRM 6C drop

Yes, a 14C drop on the topmost video card!!! I was blown away a 13 year old case could do this with only 3x120mm fans. (albeit really good and somewhat loud 120mm fans, Kaze Ultra 133CFM non-RGB black brick looking things)

I blame the fact front glass pretty much chokes the intake on the host case (4x120mm front fans are pretty much drawing air from inside). Again, this is 90% of new cases on the market. The only viable intake on this cube is the bottom 120mm and that is choked off by the second GPU.

The latest move to "meshify" some of these modern tempered glass monstrosities seems prudent, but still differences I saw were major and I doubt adding $3 worth of plastic meshing up front as lame afterthought will fix what ultimately is poor design top-to-bottom (Entire supporting substructure of cases is tweaked, sometimes severely, to allow for better placement of thumbscrews or hinges for the tempered glass panels for instance.) I feel like modern cases need a major rethink and move towards airflow oriented design... that is if the Twitch-Fortnite-RGB-tempred-glass brigade will let us have it, since they are major group setting the trends nowadays. Sigh...

Basically the Cosmos 1000 was an experiment in negative fan pressure. You might of noticed a lot of dust collecting inside your case over the years of ownership. Thats down to negative pressure. Theres not enough air being pulled into the case with the one fan so air is being pulled inside the case from every nook and cranny that has access to the outside world from inside your case..

A better test would be to remove the top fan completely or reverse it and re-run all your tests. Even if you remove it, id say you'd probably get better temps as the airflow is more balanced

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
You can keep your ancient cases. You won't pry this Phanteks 719 from my grasp!

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
With all respect to these older cases people here love (I always wanted a Cosmos, and have fond memories of my Sonata), but there are plenty of good airflow cases on the market, and some of the efficiency improvements in chassis design and components alike allow for a lot less airflow with good thermals. If you look to thorough reviews, like GN, you’ll see cases like the Fractal Define series, which borrow a lot from the best of older/standard designs, don’t fare well against a lot of newer (especially mesh) designs.

Check out this oldie but goodie (yes, a tragedy what’s been done to SPCR). With a little planning you can get a lot out of very little.

Still, I agree with all of you — we need better designs more than we need more bling. I’m dying to replace my FT02 with something more compact, but few manufacturers even attempt to make ATX (or even mATX, really) cases under 40L, and I’m not ready to shell out to smaller shops if they haven’t been reviewed.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
With all respect to these older cases people here love (I always wanted a Cosmos, and have fond memories of my Sonata), but there are plenty of good airflow cases on the market, and some of the efficiency improvements in chassis design and components alike allow for a lot less airflow with good thermals. If you look to thorough reviews, like GN, you’ll see cases like the Fractal Define series, which borrow a lot from the best of older/standard designs, don’t fare well against a lot of newer (especially mesh) designs.

Check out this oldie but goodie (yes, a tragedy what’s been done to SPCR). With a little planning you can get a lot out of very little.

Still, I agree with all of you — we need better designs more than we need more bling. I’m dying to replace my FT02 with something more compact, but few manufacturers even attempt to make ATX (or even mATX, really) cases under 40L, and I’m not ready to shell out to smaller shops if they haven’t been reviewed.
Mainstream/large volume case makers generally don't care about making their designs compact - there are other things more important to them (such as RGB and tempered glass, sadly). If you want truly compact ATX the Cerberus X (designed by Chimaera Industries, manufactured and sold by Sliger) does that excellently and seems to cool pretty well despite its closed off front panel. There's also an upcoming case from Chimaera, the CX2 that is going to be cheaper (sub-$200 reportedly), supports eATX, has a mesh front, and is about 23L. For reference, that's 3L less volume than my NZXT H200i :D Both do come with some compromises though: you have to choose between being able to fit an ATX PSU or the ability to mount a decent air cooler, but there's ample room for radiators all around. Of course these days there are great SFX PSUs that can power any high-end gaming system or workstation in the mortal realm (barring 4-GPU hotboxes I guess).

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 64G G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
I'm on a PC at the moment that's in a modded Cosmos 1000 I got for $25 off Craigslist 10 years ago. I've done many things to it over the years for better airflow and last Fall I swapped furnace filters for the side panels. The 20x25x1 cheapos I get for 89 cents at the local hardware store fit perfectly. The 4790K @4.6Ghz is running at 83 degrees F and the XFX R9289X at 95 degrees F. Other than needing to blow the dust out of it every two months it's fantastic.

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I have an old Stacker STC-01 that you guys are making me want to put back in service :laugh:

It’s even got castor wheels:rockout:

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
The Cosmos 1000 wasn't even a great case for airflow compared to its contemporaries such as the HAF series. I owned a Cosmos 1000 for a few years, great looking case! I recommend getting a 3x5.25 fan adapter. I got mine from Mountain Mods. I ended up cutting a hole in the front door for it.
I also ran a 120mm fan on the side window (I had the rare side window kit, which I cut a hole in and ran a 120 Phobya fan grill to make it less ugly.). I don't know if I have a photo of the fan mounted on it.
After running a Cosmos 1000 for a few years, the overall size of that monster case started to bother me and I switched to the smallest ATX case I could find, a Lian Li PC A05. I liked that case so much I acquired a few others for some family builds.

Overall I find my Lian LI PC A05NB runs even cooler, its a tiny case with not much interior volume, but I have a top 140mm intake with a very powerful Yate Loon D14BH-12 (a 140cfm monster) and a rear exhaust Corsair SP120L which is fairly powerful, the result is the case exchanges its air volume with the room easily and heat doesn't build up.

Anyway, here is how I set up the front intake mod:

Last edited:
System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Mainstream/large volume case makers generally don't care about making their designs compact - there are other things more important to them (such as RGB and tempered glass, sadly). If you want truly compact ATX the Cerberus X (designed by Chimaera Industries, manufactured and sold by Sliger) does that excellently and seems to cool pretty well despite its closed off front panel. There's also an upcoming case from Chimaera, the CX2 that is going to be cheaper (sub-$200 reportedly), supports eATX, has a mesh front, and is about 23L. For reference, that's 3L less volume than my NZXT H200i :D Both do come with some compromises though: you have to choose between being able to fit an ATX PSU or the ability to mount a decent air cooler, but there's ample room for radiators all around. Of course these days there are great SFX PSUs that can power any high-end gaming system or workstation in the mortal realm (barring 4-GPU hotboxes I guess).
I’ve definitely looked into it, but I haven’t seen any reviews that mention thermals, although I admit that I haven’t looked at too many build logs. I saw one log reporting 95* on their 3700x with a NH-C14, but that may have been faulty reporting (according to the log). I didn’t bother to wade through the rest to find out if that was the case.

I’m a silence freak, too, so the small volume plus addition of filters (I am lazy) worries me, but, again, I don’t really know much about how well it performs. Curious to see some data.

I’ve long imagined a ~30L FT04 as my dream case (2 AP180’s and SFX, room for SSI-CEB boards, no HDDs), but have never gone further than sketches. I pitched it to the Silverstone rep over at OCN a few years ago, but they haven’t followed up with me yet for some reason. :p :kookoo: :rolleyes:

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Coolermaster HAF X, one of the best aircooling cases ive owned. 200mm fans were nice and quiet yet cooled every component well. Had to retire it due to wcing limitations.
STC-T01 was a great one as well @freeagent!
Still have both of them in my basement collecting dust along with the iconic lian li pc-65 aluminum that houses my retro c2q rig. 20yo case still looks great.
Like many have said the industry has for all intents flip flopped to form over function. There are still some really solid aircooled cases but the list get smaller and smaller.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Coolermaster HAF X, one of the best aircooling cases ive owned. 200mm fans were nice and quiet yet cooled every component well. Had to retire it due to wcing limitations.
STC-T01 was a great one as well @freeagent!
Still have both of them in my basement collecting dust along with the iconic lian li pc-65 aluminum that houses my retro c2q rig. 20yo case still looks great.
Like many have said the industry has for all intents flip flopped to form over function. There are still some really solid aircooled cases but the list get smaller and smaller.
PC-65 are still worth a good amount, real collectible.

I have now hit 31 years in building rigs. Case airflow management is one of my specialties. I refuse to use any of the modern day cases because of they think is adequate in cooling. I also refuse to listen to the advice of many of those Tech (influencers, really talking heads pushing product) sites on youtube.

I have a Coolermaster HAF X and someday I'll do a real old skool case mod to it, but by hands down favorite are the Corsair Carbide 400r and Corsair 500r as I get excellent cooling results with 3 fans. I have 3 in storage and that should last me for the rest of my life.

I am running hot components in my current rig, such as the MSI X570 A-Pro MB and the reference Rx5700 (Visiontek) video card.
My System Temps are on the average 15c degrees higher the ambient temperature of my room. My rig runs 16 hours per day.

My SSD and HDD run 1 to 3c degrees warmer than ambient room temperature.

My Video card temps varies but the hottest recorded was 74c degrees and the ambient temperature of the room at the time was 105f (40+c) degrees. My man cave gets hot in the summer as the sun hits the south facing almost all year around.

Currently I am watching a video and typing this up. The video card temps are 44c junction with a ambient room temperature of 31.4c degrees as of this typing.

The reason why I am giving the temp info on my rig is that there is a great deal of suspect misinformation by influencers to sell product on how cool their case, their cpu/gpu coolers to make a fast buck.

You do not need the current case trends nor cpu/gpu cooling trends.

What you need is honest accurate data to make a honest decision when making the build.

IMHO the current cases are not that good. You have to pay for your cooling performance what you got free 6 plus years ago.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Tempered glass cases are always going to be bad for airflow. Probably the best TG case for airflow is the Aquarius Plus which I have (a Lian Li Ripoff)
3x120mm bottom intake going directly to the GPU. 3x120mm side/front intake/exhaust. 3 top intake/exhaust and 1 rear exhaust.
This is a grand total of 10x 120mm fans! But, more importantly, the fans are going to the right places.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 64G G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
The Corsair Carbide 500R may be the perfect case for airflow and ease of modding. I have two and got them years ago when they were $59 after rebate on Newegg. That liftoff top panel makes externally mounting a radiator as easy as bolting it on after Dremeling slots for the hoses.

I'm not surprised. A lot of modern cases are pretentious beyond belief and almost entirely about form over function. One of the coolest running budget cases I've owned was a Rosewill Line M. How come? Because aside from the front fan not being starved of air, having 2x 120mm side fans blowing cold air directly onto the CPU, GPU & VRM's made a far bigger difference on temps in practise than "modern" front-only air intakes that are "balanced" to top exhausts. The "obsolete" top-mounted PSU design had reversible screw holes so that it could be flipped (facing upwards), so simply cutting a 120mm intake in the top of the case above the PSU with a Dremel and adding a magnetic dust filter on top meant that it too could suck cold air straight from outside of the top of the case, but also passive / fanless PSU's could directly vent hot air straight up and out of the top of the case (the best of both worlds whereas bottom-mounting is cr*p for fanless PSU's in any orientation). Top-mounted PSU also = the flexibility to use an SFX PSU (eg, Corsair SF450) with an ATX-SFX adaptor, gain a huge amount of space and solve the cable management problem by simply having naturally shorter 35-50cm cables "just right" for MATX/ITX that don't have an excess that needs hiding in the first place. Combined with a HDD mounting near the front 120mm intake, every component in the case (CPU, motherboard VRM, GPU, PSU and HDD) had cold air blowing directly onto it. Finally, it had those rare highly flexible things called "drive bays" which even if you don't own an optical drive today, still allow you to add newer USB ports (eg, USB 3.1 Gen 2 C or perhaps 2x extra fast charge ports that draw straight from the PSU via a SATA power cable so that 20-30w charge actually meant 20-30w).

So it's not uncommon to see £29 8 year old cases with drive bays and side air intakes that have better thermals and front USB connectivity than £99 8 week old overpriced pretentious tempered glass hotboxes, and if you listen carefully at night you can hear the latter quietly scream out "I don't want to be a greenhouse, please just drill some holes in the side of me to let some cold air in over the hottest components!!!"... ;)

You are right on the Rosewill. 3 weeks ago I did a care package rig for a friend of mine who needed a new computer, which was 9 years old. So I built one for free and that case for my friends build.

Drive bays as you have stated are really that important in all of my current builds.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
The one reason I've yet to get rid of my Silverstone RV02B-W it simply is the best air cooled case around as proved by Gamers Nexus

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Potential for what cooking your hardware with 80/92mm fans not only is it going to have poor airflow it's also going to sound like a jet engine there are much better full size towers around than this old timer
While there is merit with your comment I could work with this case.... If I need too. However as you have stated there are better cases that you can get for the flaws that I see in the case. Especially during the 2010- 2014 era. The case appears to have 3, 92mm fans (went to the site to take a look) on the lower front side to allow air to cool those old and hot hard drives.

Here is a vid on it.

What you need is honest accurate data to make a honest decision when making the build.
Check Gamers Nexus. You really shouldn't generalize about reviewers because there's people out there doing a really good job.