• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help undervolting i7-9750H

elenemigos

Hi, can someone help me out with this? I am getting EDP OTHER an PL2 in power limits. And if someone knows how to activate the log could give me some advice. Thanks!

1.png

Here are my TS settings.

2.png

3.png

4.png

Last edited:
To avoid EDP Other on all 3 rings, increase the PP0 Current Limit from 130 to 140 or 150. To eliminate PL2 limit, increase Turbo Boost Short Power Max. It's now 75, try 90.
There is a checkbox for the LogFile - lower left on the main screen (You might want to check the More Data option too, for more data written per second).
In addition - don't limit your Speed Shift EPP to 114. Try "zero" and if all is good, there's no need to lower it. Try also higher voltage offsets for the Core. Ratio Core:Cache - 2:1 should work well. All other settings look good. Make some test with TSBench and if no errors are recorded - that's it.

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Set TDP Level Control to zero and push OK. After that, open the TPL window up again and clear the check mark. Do not follow any guide that recommends setting this to 1.

The log files will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log to your next post.

I am not a fan of More Data. It creates "too much information" for me to read through. :)

Edit - It is the Intel GPU and iGPU Unslice that should probably be synced. The Intel GPU and System Agent do not need to be set equal. Having said that, there is probably no reason to be under volting the Intel GPU. This is not being used when gaming so what is the point?

Your PROCHOT (thermal throttling) temperature is set much lower than the Intel recommended value of 100°C. Open up the Options window and have a look for a lock icon beside the PROCHOT Offset feature. If this is not locked, try setting PROCHOT Offset to at the most 3. The manufacturer that decided to set this to 8 is being very conservative. (aka. cowardly)
Intel CPUs run hot. It is not a big deal. Intel is well aware of this. That is why they set PROCHOT Offset to 0 so their CPUs can thermal throttle at 100°C.

Last edited:

elenemigos

Thank you so much for your responses, guys. I gotta say that before read your answers I was tweaking my TS with this configs from another thread and also applied yours :)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-settings-in-throttlestop.266422/post-4307364

I copied all the same settings but in my case i have an Acer Helios 300, same processor (i79750H) and a gtx 1660ti. No more EDP or PL1/PL2 notifications but... when running Cinebench 20 almost to the final of the render PL1 (CORE) and EDP other (RING) appears and glows red for a seconds then become yellow. What could it be and what you recommend to change? Here I attached all my new config and a log after running cinebench 20.

Attachments

• settings1.png
    settings1.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,105
  • settings2.png
    settings2.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,135
  • settings3.png
    settings3.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,080
  • settings4.png
    settings4.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 981
  • settings5.png
    settings5.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 983
  • 2020-07-12.txt
    40.2 KB · Views: 209
  • cinebench20.png
    cinebench20.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,037
Last edited:
Make sure you're running your laptop at Windows Power Settings in Performance mode. Awesome temp and very good scores in CB20 by the way.

elenemigos

Make sure you're running your laptop at Windows Power Settings in Performance mode. Awesome temp and very good scores in CB20 by the way.
Hi, thanks for your advice. I am currently running this mode? Is this the right one?

performanc.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Is this the right one?
Yes.

Here is what your log file shows. For the first 60% of your Cinebench run, power consumption is hitting a max of about 65W and the CPU is maintaining the maximum multiplier which is 40.00 when all 6 cores are active. At 12:37:03, you start to see some throttling and PL1 shows up in the far right column. PL1 is the long term turbo power limit. The power consumption column shows that this power limit has dropped to approximately 56W. This is what is causing your CPU to slow down a little. In Limit Reasons, when PL1 in core goes red, you typically see EDP OTHER in the RING column go red at the exact same time. When this happens, PL1 is the cause.

You have the long term turbo power limit set to 80W in ThrottleStop. That is good but the problem is that some laptops will set a lower long term turbo power limit internally. The CPU will look at what ThrottleStop wants and it will look at what Acer wants and it will use the lower turbo power limit. It looks like Acer has set a long term power limit of 56W internally and there is no easy way to get beyond this.

Some Clevo laptops are left completely unlocked so what ThrottleStop requests is used without any complaints. Many OEM laptops from Acer, Dell, HP, etc. use an internal power limit which prevents a user from getting maximum performance out of their CPU. The good news is that the 9750H has a 45W TDP rating and Acer was reasonably generous and is allowing you to run it at 56W. Some of the competition firmly lock their laptops with the 9750H CPU down to 45W long term.

Enjoy your laptop. It is running really well. With unlocked power limits you could get a little more out of it but not that much. Your Cinebench R20 score is looking good. Most games are not as demanding as Cinebench. When plugged in, you will rarely if ever notice any throttling during real world use.

elenemigos

Yes.

Here is what your log file shows. For the first 60% of your Cinebench run, power consumption is hitting a max of about 65W and the CPU is maintaining the maximum multiplier which is 40.00 when all 6 cores are active. At 12:37:03, you start to see some throttling and PL1 shows up in the far right column. PL1 is the long term turbo power limit. The power consumption column shows that this power limit has dropped to approximately 56W. This is what is causing your CPU to slow down a little. In Limit Reasons, when PL1 in core goes red, you typically see EDP OTHER in the RING column go red at the exact same time. When this happens, PL1 is the cause.

You have the long term turbo power limit set to 80W in ThrottleStop. That is good but the problem is that some laptops will set a lower long term turbo power limit internally. The CPU will look at what ThrottleStop wants and it will look at what Acer wants and it will use the lower turbo power limit. It looks like Acer has set a long term power limit of 56W internally and there is no easy way to get beyond this.

Some Clevo laptops are left completely unlocked so what ThrottleStop requests is used without any complaints. Many OEM laptops from Acer, Dell, HP, etc. use an internal power limit which prevents a user from getting maximum performance out of their CPU. The good news is that the 9750H has a 45W TDP rating and Acer was reasonably generous and is allowing you to run it at 56W. Some of the competition firmly lock their laptops with the 9750H CPU down to 45W long term.

Enjoy your laptop. It is running really well. With unlocked power limits you could get a little more out of it but not that much. Your Cinebench R20 score is looking good. Most games are not as demanding as Cinebench. When plugged in, you will rarely if ever notice any throttling during real world use.
Thank you so much for the answer. This confirms that my Acer has a power limiting stock and for that reason PL appears when running the cinebench 20 test. Again thanks for your time and the kindly answers i got from you and @AOne. You helped me a lot, really ☺️✌️

palaiokostas69

Thank you so much for your responses, guys. I gotta say that before read your answers I was tweaking my TS with this configs from another thread and also applied yours :)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-settings-in-throttlestop.266422/post-4307364

I copied all the same settings but in my case i have an Acer Helios 300, same processor (i79750H) and a gtx 1660ti. No more EDP or PL1/PL2 notifications but... when running Cinebench 20 almost to the final of the render PL1 (CORE) and EDP other (RING) appears and glows red for a seconds then become yellow. What could it be and what you recommend to change? Here I attached all my new config and a log after running cinebench 20Could
Could i ask please how its posible to set you PL1/PL2 values? Because i have Predator 300 ph315-52 and i downgrade my BIOS version from v1.12 to v1.6 but stil looks like that my PL1/PL2 are fixed from my BIOS to 45watts.