• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Accessing BIOS settings other than at start up

RabidAnimal

Hello,

Does anyone have an alternative way of accessing the BIOS settings other than at start up? My machine goes from power on to blank screen to log on screen with no opportunity to access the MB settings. The MB is a Gigabyte Z270M-D3H.

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard msi mag x570 tomahawk
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240V2 / asiahorse fs9002 120mm fans
Memory 2 x 16gb g.skill trident z neo 3600
Video Card(s) msi gaming X 2070 super 8gb
Storage 1tb sabrent rocket nvme / 1tb samsung evo 860 sata ssd / 3tb Toshiba hdd
Display(s) lg ultragear 2560x1440 144hz 1ms 27"ips
Case nzxt h510i
Audio Device(s) logitech g635 / creative sound blaster
Power Supply evga supernova 750ga 80 plus gold
Mouse logitech g402 hyperion fury
Keyboard corsair k55
to be honest i have not used gigabyte boards but if you're on windows go to>
>start
>power
>restart
hold shift down when you click restart and it will give you a list of options one of them is trouble shoot then if you click that it should give you the option to restart and boot straight into bios

or you could just try holding the delete key as soon as you power your system on, that usually does the trick for me

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Hold down the SHIFT key while you click on the Restart button in the start menu, select Troubleshoot, Advanced options, UEFI firmware settings.

Or from elevated cmd.exe: shutdown /fw /r

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
My machine goes from power on to blank screen to log on screen
My system does the same, accessing the Bios is no different, as soon as the Num lock light appears on my keyboard I tap the Del key and gain access immediately If needed.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Start tapping Del repeatedly as soon as you power on or restart your PC.

A. Access BIOS using Settings
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Under the "Advanced startup" section, click the Restart now button.
  5. Click on Troubleshoot
  6. Click on Advanced options.
  7. Click the UEFI Firmware settings option.
  8. Click the Restart button.
B. Access BIOS using boot key option
  1. Press the Power button.
  2. See the screen splash to identify the key you must press to enter the firmware).
  3. Press the required key repeatedly until you enter the setup mode. Usually, you need to press the ESC, Delete, or one of the Function keys (F1, F2, F10, etc.).
C. Manufacturers oft provide utilities that let you access many BIOS settings from in the OS. You can even upgrade the BIOS from within your OS.

Now personally, I prefer a more hands on approach doing it in the standard way as it's just more familiar. And in the early days, there were issue and one could easily mess things up with these things. But in the last decade, while the rumors of horrible outcomes persist, I have not been able to document a problem in at least 7 or 8 years.

Gigabytes utility was called "Touch BIOS" at some point, after EasyTune .... not sure what it is called today.

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard msi mag x570 tomahawk
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240V2 / asiahorse fs9002 120mm fans
Memory 2 x 16gb g.skill trident z neo 3600
Video Card(s) msi gaming X 2070 super 8gb
Storage 1tb sabrent rocket nvme / 1tb samsung evo 860 sata ssd / 3tb Toshiba hdd
Display(s) lg ultragear 2560x1440 144hz 1ms 27"ips
Case nzxt h510i
Audio Device(s) logitech g635 / creative sound blaster
Power Supply evga supernova 750ga 80 plus gold
Mouse logitech g402 hyperion fury
Keyboard corsair k55
lol guys...he posted this saturday and hasn't been back. how many people do we need to answer the same question in the same way?

RabidAnimal

Many thanks to everyone (esp you Jay, hahaha) for the replies. I tried the num lock illuminating one and that didn't work and as for the other suggestions, I don't get the splash screen from the manufacturer, or even the list across the bottom for key options to access BIOS after POST (it's ESC for Gigabyte MBs), it just goes from blank to log on screen. never mind, I'll just keep messing with it until something happens and no doubt I'll be back for more help! :laugh: Cheers! :toast:

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Many thanks to everyone (esp you Jay, hahaha) for the replies. I tried the num lock illuminating one and that didn't work and as for the other suggestions, I don't get the splash screen from the manufacturer, or even the list across the bottom for key options to access BIOS after POST (it's ESC for Gigabyte MBs), it just goes from blank to log on screen. never mind, I'll just keep messing with it until something happens and no doubt I'll be back for more help! :laugh: Cheers! :toast:

You aren't going to get a splash screen with a modern PC, they are by default optimised to get from cold boot to Windows load as soon as possible, which means by default there is no splash screen or "press Del" prompt. But you can enable those from within the BIOS (obviously you have to get there first!).

What keyboard are you using? Most BIOSes will not work with wireless keyboards, some also do not play well with keyboards plugged into USB 3 ports. So for best experience use a wired keyboard plugged into a USB 2 port.

Regarding the Del key, you basically need to be tapping it repeatedly like a madman every second as soon as you click "Restart" in Windows. If that doesn't work your BIOS might use a different key (try F12).

As a last resort, you can try resetting your BIOS, which will generally cause the PC to stop and prompt you to enter the BIOS the next time it boots. But this should very much be a last resort.