• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Copper anti seize grease as thermal paste?

I gave this experiment one more attempt to see if I could get any different results.

I found out that one of my favourite oil brands Penrite has a product called Copper Eze. This stuff looks much more like the Kopr-Kote where it's a bronze paste in appearance, rather than the Devon Stop-Seize I used that's almost totally black with some metallic fleck instead.

Unfortunately Copper Eze is a failure too, long story short. It's actually the most terrible thermal paste substitute I've tried to date. It idles at 50C and hits 100C the instant you put a load on it. A normal idle is in the low 30's. I was more hopeful with this one because it apparently uses zinc oxide (found in thermal paste), proving once again that chemistry makes absolutely no bloody sense whatsoever.

I also tried both thick and thinner-than-a-bee's-dick applications but it doesn't really make a difference. The thinner application might be a few degrees cooler but I can't verify when the CPU can't handle a 100% load for more than a few seconds.

I'd say.. Cooler Master Hyper 212 for the win. Excellent cooling, inexpensive. Win.

Cooler Master 212 is okay but it has a really weak clip-on mounting system that doesn't support the tower cooler properly. I was kind of disappointed when I got mine. Unless it's mounted in a system where the motherboard is laying flat it would be good, although that's pretty uncommon.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I gave this experiment one more attempt to see if I could get any different results.

I found out that one of my favourite oil brands Penrite has a product called Copper Eze. This stuff looks much more like the Kopr-Kote where it's a bronze paste in appearance, rather than the Devon Stop-Seize I used that's almost totally black with some metallic fleck instead.

Unfortunately Copper Eze is a failure too, long story short. It's actually the most terrible thermal paste substitute I've tried to date. It idles at 50C and hits 100C the instant you put a load on it. A normal idle is in the low 30's. I was more hopeful with this one because it apparently uses zinc oxide (found in thermal paste), proving once again that chemistry makes absolutely no bloody sense whatsoever.
Try a Spheerol HTB grease, it's dropping point is usually rated around 180C for a quality brand and is non conductive and non corrosive.

Here are my temps, with my profile set to extreme, with this first at idle with programs and my browser with a bunch of tabs open running:

FurIdle.jpg

This is with FurMark running, in 720P for over 5 Min, and as you can see, the temps are perfect, using my HSF set up, picture below:
FurBurn.jpg

110171934_306881057124696_3678512121752839962_n.jpg

necros

try corrosion block grease, its designed by learjet no copper or anything like that in it. but doesnt melt its also dialectric, been using it for the last 3 years in my main machine. which is a amd fx 9790, i am one of those people who if curious about anything in life will spend probably 50 hours at least researching everything. thermal grease is still pretty much a standard grease but because says thermal they charge you more. so many things are just standard cheap stuff but as soon as you say it is for one thing only up goes the price.

yup
Ive tried Dielectric grease in the past, when thats all I had on hand, but stuff I used had a very low melting point, and would turn to soup between the hs and cpu. This stuff stays just fine, no signs of drying up, no liquid after a while, no nutting, just keeps my cpu cool, and Im happy with that.

try corrosion block grease, its designed by learjet no copper or anything like that in it. but doesnt melt its also dialectric, been using it for the last 3 years in my main machine. which is a amd fx 9790, i am one of those people who if curious about anything in life will spend probably 50 hours at least researching everything. thermal grease is still pretty much a standard grease but because says thermal they charge you more. so many things are just standard cheap stuff but as soon as you say it is for one thing only up goes the price.
Got a brand or product name & number?

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
That site makes some claims I would love to test. See the following;

Can't find any thermal property declarations however.

They seem swimming at the sea of basic industrial applications and they have poor humor regarding advertisement of them self's.

Electrical Uses
Corrosion Block has the ability to remove moisture, combined with its excellent penetrating and strong dielectric properties, have brought a number of electronics 'back from the dead' with just one application.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
They seem swimming at the sea of basic industrial applications and they have poor humor regarding advertisement of them self's.

Not sure what you are trying to say. You are aware they actually make jet airplanes, right? Maybe not reading you correctly, but you sound critical of their engineering expertise.

thermal grease is still pretty much a standard grease but because says thermal they charge you more. so many things are just standard cheap stuff but as soon as you say it is for one thing only up goes the price.

I don't subscribe to such a cynical way of thinking.
Certainly you get products that overlap in their applications to an extent, but from my engineering experience there is no single "universal" product that can work effectively in different applications that have different sets of performance requirements.
Even the various requirements for greasing lubrication has led to the existence of many different grease products using totally unrelated chemistries. In my shed I've got high temp wheel bearing grease, molybdenum disulphide grease, graphite grease, heavy duty tack grease, marine grease, silicone grease, rubber grease and lanolin wool grease.
There's no such thing as a standard grease, and just because they're all called "grease" doesn't mean they're all the same shit.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Cooler Master 212 is okay but it has a really weak clip-on mounting system that doesn't support the tower cooler properly. I was kind of disappointed when I got mine. Unless it's mounted in a system where the motherboard is laying flat it would be good, although that's pretty uncommon.
The newer Hyper 212 mounting hardware is more refined/easier to get on, and it doesn’t wiggle around. It’s a firm hold on the heatspreader.

I’m using this one.

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
I don't subscribe to such a cynical way of thinking.
Certainly you get products that overlap in their applications to an extent, but from my engineering experience there is no single "universal" product that can work effectively in different applications that have different sets of performance requirements.
Even the various requirements for greasing lubrication has led to the existence of many different grease products using totally unrelated chemistries. In my shed I've got high temp wheel bearing grease, molybdenum disulphide grease, graphite grease, heavy duty tack grease, marine grease, silicone grease, rubber grease and lanolin wool grease.
There's no such thing as a standard grease, and just because they're all called "grease" doesn't mean they're all the same shit.

I totally agree with you, but there is allot brain-cells poisoning happening due YouTube Fake gurus and the young people they do become easy victims by choice.
How many they know that in automotive industry (their own motorcycle or car or electric bicycle ) they are potted electronics in to a box which has thermal grease too, this never be replaced ? This made to last for ever = 30 years or more.

Computing started with CPU with cooling system mounting with metal clips, next generation was using plastic clips, next generation using BIG plastic Pins.
And some one with a single VGA this having metal screws instead of clips he become high opinionated by thinking that there is only one mechanical way keeping a cooling system in place.

Some others think that thermal paste this must staying fluid for ever, there is no such thing, thermal paste this is solid material and portion of oil this added as assistance when this is applied.
Any way, the less experienced always will have narrow vision and when they will become mature they will laugh by their own past made comments.

Personally I was never though that TPU project - website, this will last that long over time due the nature of internet.
If some one uses the search he will find past contribution of knowledge produced by valuable experiences.
But such way of investigation this is time consuming and it can not help any one seeking for fast answers.

Sisyfos

This was an interesting thread to read. I came by it, because I was doing some maintenance on my living room PC and noticed that I need to remove the heatsink to clean it properly and I had no thermal compound at home (that I could find). I have copper paste that I have bought for my car some years back and I searched online if that could be of use. Anyhow, brief experience so far is that temps dropped by 20 degrees Celsius (it was DIRTY and the old compound was almost non-existent when I took out the heatsink). Anyhow, so far so good. I will look into it to see if the performance degrades and I will hopefully at that point have some thermal compound available at hand then.

This was an interesting thread to read. I came by it, because I was doing some maintenance on my living room PC and noticed that I need to remove the heatsink to clean it properly and I had no thermal compound at home (that I could find). I have copper paste that I have bought for my car some years back and I searched online if that could be of use. Anyhow, brief experience so far is that temps dropped by 20 degrees Celsius (it was DIRTY and the old compound was almost non-existent when I took out the heatsink). Anyhow, so far so good. I will look into it to see if the performance degrades and I will hopefully at that point have some thermal compound available at hand then.
Thank you for your input... Let us know how this goes.

Shoog

I upgraded my heatsink because I was seeing unacceptable temps with my stock Intel cooler and running handbrake. My combination copper slip and ground graphite past was still quite fluid after about a year of use when I took it off. I replaced it with stock silver grease but have little doubt that my copper slip graphite mix would have remained servicable for many years if I had have left it in place.

However the only empirical test of copper slip vs silver paste I came across showed that copper slip was inferior overall so i would tend to reserve it for emergency short to medium term use.

Shoog

Sisyfos

Attachment doesnt work on my end, getting a opps page ;)
Ah, maybe it bugged as I changed the screenshot in edit. Current: 29,5 celsius, min 17,5 and max 41,5 celsius and processor is AMD A8-3870 running at 3 Ghz (living room pc).

Well its been a few days only so far, but for this low powered CPU it is looking really promising. So far this is how the temps have been normally (current/min/max):
View attachment 168179
Not sure what software you are using, but it looks like it has a "trial" period. Below are two completely free utilities that will provide great functionality without any hassles.

Well its been a few days only so far, but for this low powered CPU it is looking really promising. So far this is how the temps have been normally (current/min/max):
View attachment 168179

If your minimum temperature is 17.5c, then your room temperature must be lower than this. Isn't that a little cold for the human body.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
If your minimum temperature is 17.5c, then your room temperature must be lower than this. Isn't that a little cold for the human body.

Colder outside weather and an open window close to the computer. I've met people who installed wooden panels in the windows to funnel outside air directly into the computer case (-10 - -30C).

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Is there an issue with galvanic corrosion when using electrically conductive thermal grease, be it liquid metal or copper.
there is always some form of dissimilar metal corrosion, some types are more noticeable than others, which is why you need "preservatives" ( for lack of a better word ) mixed in with normal conductive pastes.