• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI allegedly attempts to pay off a Youtuber not to post a negative review

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Fascinating how all the "where is the evidence, all we have seen is a few claims with no backing" people seemed to disappear once this was corroborated by other (highly trustworthy) sources.

I've never bought an MSI product (they just never seem to fit my wants, always seem to be either too much or too little of something), and this definitely isn't making that any more likely in the future. Sounds like the company culture needs a scrubbing. Preferably with the kind of detergent that's effective at removing bad managers and executives.

What's even more ridiculous is that those wannabe lawyers act like this type of shit doesn't happen everyday. And then as you wrote when the proof comes out corroborated by peers, they go silent. It's really insane that these companies threaten reviewers regularly. smh

I am of the opinion that a laptop and gaming do not mix. For that reason I use a thin laptop for field work and the desktop at the shop for gaming.

Thermal management in a laptop is an exercise in futility

System Name Dual Socket HP z820 Workstation
Processor Twin Intel Xeon E5 2673 v2 OEM processors (thats a total of 16C/32T)
Motherboard HP Dual Socket Motherboard
Cooling Stock HP liquid cooling
Memory 64GB Registered ECC memory kit (octal channel memory on this rig)
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
Storage 2 x 512GB SSD in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 23" 75Hz Gaming monitors 1080P x2
Case Brushed Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Integrated (5.1)
Power Supply HP 1125W Stock PSU
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
The MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X is totally sick. No doubt about it, it's one of the best GPUs on the market at this time.

-It runs cooler than any other 5700 XT
-It runs quieter than any other 5700 XT
-This is nearly impossible, to combine both attributes listed above
-The backplate is lukewarm, never really gets higher than 90*F (even after heavy gaming)

For example, the backplate on my RX 580 ran at about 150-160*F, huge difference and huge impact on temps.

For me, MSI is the clear choice. They make quality products and you are missing out on the best hardware on the market if you shut the door on them.

EDIT: Not saying all MSI products are great, so take my message with a grain of salt. But if you weed through this, and through the product marketplace, you will find that their super high end products are very competitive and very respectable in terms of performance.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
What's even more ridiculous is that those wannabe lawyers act like this type of shit doesn't happen everyday. And then as you wrote when the proof comes out corroborated by peers, they go silent. It's really insane that these companies threaten reviewers regularly. smh
That's what gets me. We all know how corporate culture can be... the types of games they will play for that bottom line. I'm all for 'innocent until proven guilty.' But with this sort of thing already being prevalent, it's not like it's a HUGE stretch that it would happen again. Most people assume it's happening all of the time. Does anybody not have misgivings about trusting mainstream reviews of products in highly competitive markets? But suddenly accusations surface and the credibility of the claims are immediately doubted. Meanwhile, you can go read a top 10 list for any type of product out there that is actually just a promotional article. I'd say that's more the norm. There are major incentives on both sides. It's pretty much guaranteed to be exploited. In other news, water is wet and fire is hot.

When you don't know, it's a question of motives. You ask where it's coming from, and what they would gain from smearing MSI. It's a big risk for a reviewer to take. They don't just make accusations like that for clout or whatever. Nobody wants to be sued for defamation. Especially when your whole business depends on maintaining a consistent level of integrity. I'm sure many times reviewers do take low-key bribes and engage in shill-like behavior. But to do the opposite and say you were bribed when you weren't doesn't serve you. It puts you in the hotseat. Nobody wants to be in that hotseat. I'm sure many people on the inside saw this and hoped not to get involved for that very reason. I mean, if you watch the GN video, Steve spends a lot of time talking about past dealings they never mentioned before. Generally the smart thing to do in their position would be to not take it and not speak of it. Path of least resistance. To go against that suggests pretty big issues... to the point where simple avoidance is no longer favorable. The last thing anybody in their business wants to be known for is unfairly stepping on toes. Other vendors may look at it and think it could be them next. Fair or not, that's the game.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
At the end of the day, people are still gonna buy what works for them. MSI does make some good products. Big picture, if you only buy from honest companies, you aren't buying anything.

Be nice to see that change a little, though.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The fact that Tech Jesus just ripped MSI a new one, with email evidence of this behaviour going back half a decade, pretty much nailed the coffin shut.

This is very much an east Asian culture thing, whereby criticism of any sort is seen as taboo (the concept of "constructive criticism" essentially doesn't exist in those cultures, it's why they react so negatively). MSI could easily fix this by hiring PR people who are willing to actually engage with reviewers and get their feedback relayed to engineering so as to make a better product, but they choose not to. And that choice has consequences.

The MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X is totally sick. No doubt about it, it's one of the best GPUs on the market at this time.

-It runs cooler than any other 5700 XT
-It runs quieter than any other 5700 XT
-This is nearly impossible, to combine both attributes listed above
-The backplate is lukewarm, never really gets higher than 90*F (even after heavy gaming)

For example, the backplate on my RX 580 ran at about 150-160*F, huge difference and huge impact on temps.

For me, MSI is the clear choice. They make quality products and you are missing out on the best hardware on the market if you shut the door on them.

EDIT: Not saying all MSI products are great, so take my message with a grain of salt. But if you weed through this, and through the product marketplace, you will find that their super high end products are very competitive and very respectable in terms of performance.

How much is MSI paying you for that?

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
How much is MSI paying you for that?

Ummmm.... this is a little awkward.

1596314707043.png

Techpowerup is the source :)

IDLE
1596314258078.png

UNDER LOAD
1596314316020.png

Direct quote from Techpowerup review:

Gaming noise levels are much improved over the AMD reference card and better than what we've seen on most other RX 5700 XT custom designs. What I would also highlight here is that MSI achieves the lowest temperature of all tested Navi cards while still being the second quietest.

MSI's cooler not only looks gorgeous but also delivers the best temperatures we've seen on any Navi card so far. With only 70°C at full load, the card runs so much cooler than the reference design, it's hard to believe both are built upon the same GPU chip. Noise levels are excellent, too, reaching 32 dBA in heavy gaming. This is the second-best noise result of all custom Navi cards we've tested so far, and MSI achieves that with just a single BIOS—no switching to a "quiet" BIOS required (which often runs the card at lower clocks or power limit). I have to compliment MSI for this approach as it gives gamers the best settings right out of the box. On top of that, MSI's Dragon Center App has a "silent mode" you can enable, if you choose to install that software. As expected, MSI includes the idle-fan-stop feature with the Gaming X, which completely shuts off the fans during idle, desktop work, Internet browsing, and light gaming.

Care to read more, you can see it here and according to techpowerup, it's a pretty good video card.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Ummmm.... this is a little awkward.

View attachment 164244

Techpowerup is the source :)

IDLE
View attachment 164242

UNDER LOAD
View attachment 164243

Direct quote from Techpowerup review:

Care to read more, you can see it here and according to techpowerup, it's a pretty good video card.

And what, exactly, does any of that have to do with this thread?

Zip.
Zilch.
Nil.
Nada.

There's only one conceivable reason why, in a negative thread about a company, someone would come along and post ridiculously positive things about one of that company's products. It's called astroturfing, and you're way too obvious.

So I'll ask again: how much is MSI paying you?

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro

Zip.
Zilch.
Nil.
Nada.

There's only one conceivable reason why, in a negative thread about a company, someone would come along and post ridiculously positive things about one of that company's products. It's called astroturfing, and you're way too obvious.

Damage control much???

ROFLCOPTER I said the card ran cooler and quieter than pretty much any other 5700 XT... if you can recall that, I posted it about 22 minutes ago. Then you asked how much MSI was paying me to say that...

Then I posted results that proves I was correct, and my information was accurate, from the very same people who run the forum you are posting on right now LOL

Sounds like you need to read it again... if you dare!

Why not ask Techpowerup how much they are getting paid by MSI? LOL

Low quality post by Arctucas
System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Can I get paid?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Fascinating how all the "where is the evidence, all we have seen is a few claims with no backing" people seemed to disappear once this was corroborated by other (highly trustworthy) sources.
Why is that fascinating? If they asked for evidence, and were presented with evidence, would they be expected to stick around and deny that evidence?

Zip.
Zilch.
Nil.
Nada.
Agreed.

MSI makes 100s a products at any given point in time. Just because some don't meet rigorous testing/review standards, that does not mean all would fail. As Steve in that GN video correctly points out, a good reviewer, one with integrity will point out the good with the bad. And he did.

@storm-chaser - you’re convinced your sample-size-of-one example of a good renders moot the whole point. It doesn't. It just shows that one product got a good review. But that has absolutely nothing to do with MSI's attempted strong-arm tactics over negative comments results received in other reviews.

CONCLUSION - the integrity of the company behind the product is certainly a key factor (or should be) in any purchase decision - regardless the quality of their products.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Damage control much???

ROFLCOPTER I said the card ran cooler and quieter than pretty much any other 5700 XT... if you can recall that, I posted it about 22 minutes ago. Then you asked how much MSI was paying me to say that...

Then I posted results that proves I was correct, and my information was accurate, from the very same people who run the forum you are posting on right now LOL

Sounds like you need to read it again... if you dare!

Why not ask Techpowerup how much they are getting paid by MSI? LOL
Because that review wasn't given under the context that MSI uses coercion tactics in order to get favorable reviews. Nobody actually thinks you're shilling here, nor that the TPU review was paid-off. Just pointing out that it's weird to be in a conversation about MSI's now corroborated dishonesty just to speak well of their products. The TPU review isn't relating itself to claims of shady deals. You are, simply by including your points about the quality of MSI products you've used in this specific conversation. In the former, foul play isn't implicit - it's just a review with some benchmarks. It went well, so that was pointed out. No here or there and no reason to suspect that TPU was bought out. Whereas the implications of what you're saying is that MSI's bad-faith actions are irrelevant because the product is good, neglecting that none of this discussion would be on the table if the product was ALWAYS good. So it comes off as negating MSI's attempts at dishonesty in order to sing thier praises.

I mean, how else are people supposed to react, you know? This is like if someone committed murder and you wanted to talk about how good their burgers were. It's not about what they did right, but what they did wrong, and changing the focus to what they did right comes off like you think the wrong is permissible because the right better suits you.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
And what, exactly, does any of that have to do with this thread? ============= talking about the quality and performance of the
Zip.
Zilch.
Nil.
Nada.

Zip.
Zilch.
Nil.
Nada.
Someone was bashing MSI pretty bad back there. So I posted the specs on my 5700XT Gaming x, so I wanted to relate my experience with the card is GOOD

I'm still proud of my MSI Z97 gaming 5 mobo / i7 4790k, this going strong after 4-5 years (5 years already !?)

And this summer i'm having plenty of fun with my MSI GP73 Leopard 8RE gaming laptop (playing demanding games such as Doom, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, Assetto Corsa, Control, Antigraviator and so on....) Throttlestop even managed to give this i7 8750H an extra performance bump.

tldnr; owning 2 MSI products, me happy camper for the past 5 years.

Last edited:
Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why is that fascinating? If they asked for evidence, and were presented with evidence, would they be expected to stick around and deny that evidence?

Agreed.

MSI makes 100s a products at any given point in time. Just because some don't meet rigorous testing/review standards, that does not mean all would fail. As Steve in that GN video correctly points out, a good reviewer, one with integrity will point out the good with the bad. And he did.

@storm-chaser - you’re convinced your sample-size-of-one example of a good renders moot the whole point. It doesn't. It just shows that one product got a good review. But that has absolutely nothing to do with MSI's attempted strong-arm tactics over negative comments results received in other reviews.

CONCLUSION - the integrity of the company behind the product is certainly a key factor (or should be) in any purchase decision - regardless the quality of their products.

Look I will be honest. I dont know a whole bunch about the MSI's strong airm tacktics
can you flll me in?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Look I will be honest. I dont know a whole bunch about the MSI's strong airm tacktics
can you flll me in?
Did you watch that video? Are you following this thread? I guess that would be a no and no. :(

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Did you watch that video? Are you following this thread? I guess that would be a no and no. :(
Just begginners :) I saw that one question and just had to respond to it.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
The RTX 2060 GamingZ has been a great GPU card, and the B450 Tomahawk. I take issue with MSI not willing to listen to constructive criticism when there is glaring issues with their product.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Do I feel bad for buying two MSI B450 Mobo's and an RTX 2070 Super recently...........Nope.
Underhanded tactics come in all flavours where money is concerned.
Indeed, but when you're caught with your hand in the cookie jar, an example has to be set. To do otherwise is basically passively condoning it. Just because it happens all of the time doesn't mean it should be accepted when it pops out in the open.

Of course there is no responsibility on the part of customers. No reason to feel guilt for buying their products if the products work for you. That is the point of the exchange. Whether or not you want to buy their products is a personal choice that I don't think anyone else can really make for you or rightly hold against you.

But nor is that grounds for dismissal of repeated bad-faith behavior. "Everybody's doing it." ain't gonna cut it. If we stopped prosecuting people caught committing common crimes simply because they are common, what happens to the standard for behavior in our society? If anything, that is the best reason for making an example out of that behavior. When a situation is out of control, passively abiding it only makes it worse. People may still buy thier products, but it's still worth talking about. They still deserve the hit to their reputation. Others do the same and get away with it, no doubt. But it can't be proven. In this case, the wrongdoings are blatant and grounds for trial by public opinion at a minimum. They ought to feel the heat for this. Maybe it will motivate them to make better products instead.

Think of it this way... this is behavior that ultimately hurts me and you, it hurts the industry, it hurts reviewers. If you still buy the products that's fine, but lets not pretend like it's fine and dandy that companies conduct themselves in a way that leaves the consumer mislead with a lower quality product than they expected and diminished trust in the markets they support. I don't care how many people do it and get away with it. It's never okay. If caught, there should still be a price to pay. Companies who do this and reviewers who go along are basically stealing from us. That they have good products too is meaningless, because they'll just as easily try to pawn crap on you as they will sell you something that's actually worth it. One doesn't cancel out the other. They may have been straight-up with you, but they ripped off the next guy. No reason why that couldn't have been you.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
MSI seems to be improving a lot of their hardware, my MSI X570 Tomahawk for example is number 1 sought after mobo right now and for good reason. MSI I listened to all the complaints and fixed them. Competition is fierce, they got a little desperate on communication side of things. As long as they don't do it again I have no issue with them.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
MSI seems to be improving a lot of their hardware, my MSI X570 Tomahawk for example is number 1 sought after mobo right now and for good reason. MSI I listened to all the complaints and fixed them. Competition is fierce, they got a little desperate on communication side of things. As long as they don't do it again I have no issue with them.
That's the ultimate takeway I think. They can and should improve. We've seen companies turn around before. MSI already has plenty going for it. No need for these tactics. Hopefully they now see that it's the wrong choice.