• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

throttling due to GPU power!!!

MohamedOsama

Recently, i have a big problem on throttling on my dell laptop:
i7-4800mq
intel hd graphics 4600
amd radeon 8790m
i noticed throttling start when i play a game for about 30 minutes then throttle stop give me gpu power in red as the screen shot shows:
103081220_199754704529728_4398536753296369322_n.jpg
and i think it isn't due to the temprature as the cpu temp is acceptable!! 70-80 c and the d-gpu as well from 80-87
i will show screenshots on various windows of throttle stop
Screenshot_4.png
*limit reasons when the pc is idle*
Screenshot_3.png
*throttle stop main window when the pc is idle*
Screenshot_1.png
TPL window
Screenshot_2.png
FIVR Window
*Notes*:
_i detected this problem recently and i have the laptop for 2 years
_ i undervolted the cpu core and cache offset 55mv and disabled the turboboost but as isaid i detected the issue recently and thought that was a thermal issue so i got acooling pad and that helped alot in decreasing the tempratue but the throttling didnt disappear!
_i didnt update the system bios.
Iwill be really grateful if someone helped me solve that really annoying problem :(

MohamedOsama

I have noticed when i enable turboboost the limit reasons shows the followings(idle state):

Attachments

• Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 350

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
and disabled the turboboost
Do not disable Turbo Boost. That significantly reduces CPU performance. It is normal for mobile CPUs to throttle when heavily loaded.

when i enable turboboost the limit reasons shows the followings(idle state)
Any throttle flags appearing when your CPU is idle are not important. It looks like Limit Reasons is showing you that Turbo Boost is not being fully utilized which makes sense because your CPU is idle.

When you see GPU POWER in red in Limit Reasons, that is your Intel GPU that is throttling. If you are not using the Intel GPU when gaming then this is not important.

If you want to try and make this throttling flag go away, enter this into the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and restart ThrottleStop.

IGPU=32

That might allow the Intel GPU to use more power before throttling as long as this register is not locked.

EDP CURRENT across all 3 domains is usually caused by the PP0 Current Limit being set too low. On your computer, this value is locked so you cannot increase it or do anything about this type of throttling.

Your long and short turbo power limits are also locked. Use your laptop and stop worrying.

You can click on the Overclock box and increase your turbo ratio limits if you want your CPU to run faster. These Intel CPUs supported limited overclocking. A +400 MHz bump in CPU frequency was a nice gift from Intel but many laptops never bothered to use this feature. ThrottleStop allows any 4800MQ to take advantage of this Intel feature. Overclocking these CPUs is not some magic that ThrottleStop is doing. It is simply giving users access to what is already there, complements of Intel.

MohamedOsama

Do not disable Turbo Boost. That significantly reduces CPU performance. It is normal for mobile CPUs to throttle when heavily loaded.
Thank you for your reply :) ,I really didn't have to lock Turboboost.
If you want to try and make this throttling flag go away, enter this into the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and restart ThrottleStop.

IGPU=32

That might allow the Intel GPU to use more power before throttling as long as this register is not locked.
But excuse me, i would have to know where *throttlestop.ini configuration file* ,Do you mean that file in the screenshot?
Screenshot_13.png

You can click on the Overclock box and increase your turbo ratio limits if you want your CPU to run faster. These Intel CPUs supported limited overclocking. A +400 MHz bump in CPU frequency was a nice gift from Intel but many laptops never bothered to use this feature. ThrottleStop allows any 4800MQ to take advantage of this Intel feature. Overclocking these CPUs is not some magic that ThrottleStop is doing. It is simply giving users access to what is already there, complements of Intel.
I want to thank you much , I have benifited alot from the throttlestop software and i will tell all my friends having a laptop to download it to help them solve their throttling problems! :)

help plz ,i have the same problem.It showed the freaking GPU POWER limit and throttle my cpu.Temp are relatively fine .I did notice this recently and suffering from it.PLay some non-gpu demading is quite fine with League of legends , etc.But with some games heavier ( uses 100% power of dGPU) it show GPU POWEr limit in Throttlestop.Yea the same specs with that guy (dell e6540).Is this some bios problem or VRM getting overheat ?.Plz give me quick and short answer.

unclewebb

@ZOKKUN - Did you try following the advice in this thread before creating a new account?

IGPU=32

unclewebb

@ZOKKUN - Show some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup. There might be something that you forgot to set.

unclewebb

When ThrottleStop shows GPU POWER in red, that is the Intel GPU that is causing throttling.

Do you have a Nvidia GPU? If yes, go in the Options window and turn on Nvidia GPU monitoring. On the main screen, turn on the Log File option. Go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit your game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Attach your ThrottleStop log file to your next post so I can see how your laptop is running while gaming. The log file will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder.

ThrottleStop is setup OK. Not yet sure how to solve this problem.

When ThrottleStop shows GPU POWER in red, that is the Intel GPU that is causing throttling.

Do you have a Nvidia GPU? If yes, go in the Options window and turn on Nvidia GPU monitoring. On the main screen, turn on the Log File option. Go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit your game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Attach your ThrottleStop log file to your next post so I can see how your laptop is running while gaming. The log file will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder.

ThrottleStop is setup OK. Not yet sure how to solve this problem.

i have AMD GPU , that will work right ?

Attachments

• 2020-08-15.txt
    97.7 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:

unclewebb

Your Dell laptop has a severe throttling problem. Some idiot at Dell thinks it is OK to charge customers extra money for a 3500 MHz processor and then during normal use, throttle it so badly that it only runs at 800 MHz. That is disgusting. That is why I do not buy Dell laptops anymore. The log file clearly shows the multiplier going lower and lower and lower. That is not normal at all.

Here are a couple of things you can try. On the main screen of ThrottleStop, instead of the Balanced setting, change that to High Performance. In the FIVR window, change the Non Turbo Ratio from 0 to 1.

Run another log file and see if that makes any difference. Look under the MULTI column. That is the CPU multiplier. Based on your turbo ratio limits all set to 34, when the CPU is loaded, the multiplier should be 34. It should not be dropping down to 8.

After this test, if you are still having problems, try checking the Set Multiplier feature. You will probably not have to do this.

Your Dell laptop has a severe throttling problem. Some idiot at Dell thinks it is OK to charge customers extra money for a 3500 MHz processor and then during normal use, throttle it so badly that it only runs at 800 MHz. That is disgusting. That is why I do not buy Dell laptops anymore. The log file clearly shows the multiplier going lower and lower and lower. That is not normal at all.

Here are a couple of things you can try. On the main screen of ThrottleStop, instead of the Balanced setting, change that to High Performance. In the FIVR window, change the Non Turbo Ratio from 0 to 1.

Run another log file and see if that makes any difference. Look under the MULTI column. That is the CPU multiplier. Based on your turbo ratio limits all set to 34, when the CPU is loaded, the multiplier should be 34. It should not be dropping down to 8.

After this test, if you are still having problems, try checking the Set Multiplier feature. You will probably not have to do this.
From my sight , this is no thermal throttling but a power throttling .And because Dell messed up the bios and change it to a wrong value for the IGPU , and they might havee locked the value so i cant change it in the config file of throttlestop.The reason i came up with that because i had this problem recently and it never happened before when i first got the laptop.I also repaste the thermal paste ,cleaning ,etc.Temp are fine .I will do some of the couple things u said to see if the problem is solved

ok i do what u said and turned out pretty good !.The gpu power limit is still there but the cpu wont throttle do 0.8 ghz anymore but stays at solid 2.7 ghz base clock (when it shows gpu power limit ,my normal turbo boost 3.4 ghz drops to 2.7 ghz which is kindda waste of performance since temp is not high at all)

. I wish dell would do something with the bios so that i can fully use the turbo boost since the temp while in turbo boost is acceptable ( 85 degrees below)

unclewebb

On 4th Gen mobile CPUs, the power limits were usually locked by the BIOS. 47W / 58W and 28 seconds for the turbo time limit were the default values for your CPU.

Run another log file. You deleted your previous post so I am not sure if you made any progress or found some other throttling problem. With Dell laptops from this era it is like a game of whack-a-mole. Fix one type of throttling and another type begins.

On 4th Gen mobile CPUs, the power limits were usually locked by the BIOS. 47W / 58W and 28 seconds for the turbo time limit were the default values for your CPU.

Run another log file. You deleted your previous post so I am not sure if you made any progress or found some other throttling problem. With Dell laptops from this era it is like a game of whack-a-mole. Fix one type of throttling and another type begins.
Well i was not interested in those log files since i got the monitor from msi afterburner to check the temp and clock.The only two main limits i found in Throttlestop are GPU power and core power.The core power only happen a few times but gpu power is always

unclewebb

For a test, I set a 5W power limit for my Intel GPU. ThrottleStop shows GPU POWER as the reason for throttling. This is throttling the iGPU down to 550 MHz but this type of throttling does not throttle the CPU speed. Your computer has two different throttling problems. This type of throttling also does not throttle an AMD or Nvidia GPU.

Can you post a copy of your ThrottleStop.INI configuration file? You can copy and paste the information to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here or attach that file.

Run another log file while gaming. You said that you made progress from 800 MHz to 2700 MHz. That is good but your CPU should be running faster than that. If you want more help, post some more pictures of the changes you have made.

For a test, I set a 5W power limit for my Intel GPU. ThrottleStop shows GPU POWER as the reason for throttling. This is throttling the iGPU down to 550 MHz but this type of throttling does not throttle the CPU speed. Your computer has two different throttling problems. This type of throttling also does not throttle an AMD or Nvidia GPU.

Can you post a copy of your ThrottleStop.INI configuration file? You can copy and paste the information to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here or attach that file.

Run another log file while gaming. You said that you made progress from 800 MHz to 2700 MHz. That is good but your CPU should be running faster than that. If you want more help, post some more pictures of the changes you have made.
https://pastebin.com/XccR0e7r
That is my config file.Well i believe that changing the non turbo ratio to 1 made my cpu not to throttle down to 0.8 ghz , maybe a pic of it is unnecessary

ok my gpu power is no longer there and the clock in game are in turbo boost ( i did lower the ratio to 32 for less heat and some undervolting to -70 mV) . play cod black oops 2 with no problem .Finally some magic happened . LOL
Ps: neh that only happen to cod black oops 2.Euro truck sim 2 still has the freaking gpu power limit and cause some random lag spike in game(when i checked msi afterbuner, the dGPU's usage droped and came back on max randomly in gameplay).Well this is driving me crazy

Last edited:

unclewebb

Maybe your AMD GPU is throttling now. In the Options window, when you check the AMD GPU box, does that allow ThrottleStop to monitor your AMD GPU temperature? This feature only works on some AMD GPUs. Dell might have set the AMD GPU throttling temperature very low. Also check the Disable Chipset Throttle box when you are in the Options window.

Run a ThrottleStop log file while you are playing Euro Truck Sim 2 so I can see if there are any CPU throttling problems. The more information I have, the better chance I can recommend something that will solve your problem.

The problem you are having now sounds like an AMD driver issue. In game, your computer should always be using the AMD GPU. Have you tried a different GPU driver version?

Maybe your AMD GPU is throttling now. In the Options window, when you check the AMD GPU box, does that allow ThrottleStop to monitor your AMD GPU temperature? This feature only works on some AMD GPUs. Dell might have set the AMD GPU throttling temperature very low. Also check the Disable Chipset Throttle box when you are in the Options window.

Run a ThrottleStop log file while you are playing Euro Truck Sim 2 so I can see if there are any CPU throttling problems. The more information I have, the better chance I can recommend something that will solve your problem.

The problem you are having now sounds like an AMD driver issue. In game, your computer should always be using the AMD GPU. Have you tried a different GPU driver version?
1. In the option does have the AMD GPU and i already checked it but it only shows the amd gpu temp after in game.Hmm i did not check Disable chipset throttle so i will check that out.
2.In game the amd gpu does use 99% on heavy game but there is also the intel gpu work around 10% below
3.The amd gpu driver is installed by window update though .There is a driver for that by Dell but it quite old (2015).
Tks for staying with me the whole time

unclewebb

it only shows the amd gpu temp after in game.
When monitoring the GPU temp on a laptop, you do not want to wake the GPU up when sitting at the desktop. This would create more heat and power consumption which is not good, especially when running on battery power. ThrottleStop only samples the AMD GPU temp when the AMD GPU is being used. It tries not to wake the GPU up if it is in a low power state.

After you check that box, the GPU temp information will show up in the ThrottleStop log file. This extra information in the log file can make it easier to see if there is an AMD GPU problem. You will see the GPU temp drop significantly if the AMD GPU starts throttling in the middle of a game.

The AMD driver installed by Windows update might not be the best driver for your AMD GPU. There could be a newer driver on the AMD website that works better.

When monitoring the GPU temp on a laptop, you do not want to wake the GPU up when sitting at the desktop. This would create more heat and power consumption which is not good, especially when running on battery power. ThrottleStop only samples the AMD GPU temp when the AMD GPU is being used. It tries not to wake the GPU up if it is in a low power state.

After you check that box, the GPU temp information will show up in the ThrottleStop log file. This extra information in the log file can make it easier to see if there is an AMD GPU problem. You will see the GPU temp drop significantly if the AMD GPU starts throttling in the middle of a game.

The AMD driver installed by Windows update might not be the best driver for your AMD GPU. There could be a newer driver on the AMD website that works better.
Ok i will unistall by DDU and search for driver on amd website tomorrow ( it is 1 AM now )
Maybe ets 2 is kindda buggy ,because on black oops 2 is normal when use 100% gpu.Just MAYBE

https://pastebin.com/Neac8Fim here is my log file
After 10 mins in ETS 2 , Throttlestop gave 2 limit reason : Core Power and GPU Power

Ok i will unistall by DDU and search for driver on amd website tomorrow ( it is 1 AM now )
Maybe ets 2 is kindda buggy ,because on black oops 2 is normal when use 100% gpu.Just MAYBE

https://pastebin.com/Neac8Fim here is my log file
After 10 mins in ETS 2 , Throttlestop gave 2 limit reason : Core Power and GPU Power

Damn it , ok after play ETS 2 and Blak Opps ,for some freaking reason it showed GPU POWER and Core POWER ..Yesterday was not like that .Already update the driver from amd web .

Last edited:

unclewebb

Core Power in Limit Reasons and PP0 showing up in your log file are because of this setting.

Dell must be using this setting to throttle your CPU. In ThrottleStop, check the PP0 Power Limit box and change this from 0 to 58. Also check the Lock option. This will help prevent Dell from changing this value.

I can make my laptop throttle like crazy too if I set the PP0 Power Limit really low. Dell have some really funny engineers working for them.

In your log file it looked like your CPU and GPU were not running too bad before this latest throttling started. Once this is set, time to play another game and run another log file. It is going to be very satisfying if we ever get all of these throttling problems completely fixed.

Core Power in Limit Reasons and PP0 showing up in your log file are because of this setting.

Dell must be using this setting to throttle your CPU. In ThrottleStop, check the PP0 Power Limit box and change this from 0 to 58. Also check the Lock option. This will help prevent Dell from changing this value.

I can make my laptop throttle like crazy too if I set the PP0 Power Limit really low. Dell have some really funny engineers working for them.

In your log file it looked like your CPU and GPU were not running too bad before this latest throttling started. Once this is set, time to play another game and run another log file. It is going to be very satisfying if we ever get all of these throttling problems completely fixed.
i did not see that , hmm i will change it .Tks bro

well i changed it to 58 and lock it but it still show GPU POWER and Core POwer though :( and my cpu kept in 2.7 ghz base

unclewebb

2700 MHz is better than 800 MHz but it is still pretty disappointing. I wish I had a few more tricks to suggest but there is a separate power limit register that ThrottleStop cannot get to. This means that if Dell wants your laptop to throttle, it will throttle. No more Dell laptops for me.

I have a similar laptop from Lenovo with the slower 4700MQ compared to your 4800MQ. It can run at over 50W for up to 28 seconds before ultimately slowing down so it does not exceed its 47W power limit. That is normal. That is how these CPUs are supposed to run.

You should complain to Dell. They knowingly sold you a laptop with hardware components that you cannot possibly use at their rated specification. The 4800MQ has a 47W TDP rating. Your CPU is being deliberately throttled to 10W or less. It is like a car company charging you extra money for a V8 engine and then accidentally forgetting to put 6 of the pistons in the engine. That is a sick business practice. Next time you buy a laptop, if it is a Dell, remember that the rated specs are meaningless.