• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black screen / system freezing while gaming.

RedzoneDj

Hi All,

I built my PC around 10 months ago and I am now having some problems with it for the past month.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yTThyk - My PC

I often get a black screen followed by a restart while gaming. My PC will also Freeze completely and remain un-responsive until I forcefully restart it via the power button.

Temps seem to me normal while gaming, nothing out of the ordinary. My idle CPU temp however is around 40 - 50 which is a little on the high side in my opinion... but while gaming we get to 70 to 80 max.
I have run extensive anti virus and malware searches and cleaned my computer thoroughly.
I have also run a windows memory diagnostic with 0 issues highlighted.
I have run Heavy Load Stress test and the computer seems to be fine while doing this.
I have taken my PC apart and cleaned any dust and checked fan obstructions and ensured all cables are firmly connected.

Only when I play games such as Warzone, Fortnite etc I get these issues...

I am completely at a loss, I have requested Amazon send me a new graphics card but it held up without issues during the stress test so I am not even sure this is the issue.
After restart the Even Viewer shows Kernal Power error which can indicate a sudden loss of power (I think?) so maybe I am now thinking it could be the PSU.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Are you measuring the CPU temps in the Bios or with software?
40 - 50C is high for idle temps in my opinion.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I have seen reviews where people have had issues with that particular power supply. I would honestly swap that out first. Get a good seasonic unit

RedzoneDj

Are you measuring the CPU temps in the Bios or with software?
40 - 50C is high for idle temps in my opinion.
Using software for monitoring Idle CPU Temps. I thought the same also!

I have seen reviews where people have had issues with that particular power supply. I would honestly swap that out first. Get a good seasonic unit
Really? I was not aware of this! Thank you I will probably order a replacement while it is still within warranty and later on purchase a new one.

Thank you for the response.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Really? I was not aware of this! Thank you I will probably order a replacement while it is still within warranty and later on purchase a new one.

Thank you for the response.

I hope you mean youre ordering a DIFFERENT unit and not the same one. The thing to do now is order a different power supply and test it with your current set up then send the faulty one back to your retailer for a replacement unit. You should still be covered under shop warranty. When the retailer send you back a replacement. you can sell it to recover some of the costs for a better unit.

RedzoneDj

I hope you mean youre ordering a DIFFERENT unit and not the same one. The thing to do now is order a different power supply and test it with your current set up then send the faulty one back to your retailer for a replacement unit. You should still be covered under shop warranty. When the retailer send you back a replacement. you can sell it to recover some of the costs for a better unit.
Sorry I made a mistake with the Power Supply on PC Part Picker. I actually have the Corsair TX750M - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020131-UK-TX750M-Semi-Modular-Supply/dp/B06X9K8TK6

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hmm, That changes things in that case. The TX series is supposed to be a good series from corsair. I have had a google and found some people having similar issues with the B450 platform. Some say they started getting problems when they updated their bios to a newer version.

Id still query that power supply though. if you can borrow one from a friend, that might help a lot.

Try running your ram in different slots or run them one module at a time just to trouble shoot.

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
Do you oc your ram?
I occasionally get bios freezes\reset at start up due to changes in ram, but mine's a shitty kit anyway...

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
if ya ask some peeps in this forum here i think they would give the corsair ram a little fault.
try without xmp

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Memtest64 or anything to stress your memory. My bet's on corsair kit causing issues.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Similar issues here:
Including a build I just did.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
Ryzen's very picky with it's ram it seems...

RedzoneDj

Hmm, That changes things in that case. The TX series is supposed to be a good series from corsair. I have had a google and found some people having similar issues with the B450 platform. Some say they started getting problems when they updated their bios to a newer version.

Id still query that power supply though. if you can borrow one from a friend, that might help a lot.

Try running your ram in different slots or run them one module at a time just to trouble shoot.
Thank you I will try this to see if it helps at all. My BIOS have been the same since I got the PC... I have read similar issues relating to outdated drivers etc so it's entirely possible. When I run a bench mark at max power everything seems to be fine but when gaming specifically is when I have an issue.

Memtest64 or anything to stress your memory. My bet's on corsair kit causing issues.
I tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic - Assuming Memtest is more thorough?

I don't really know how to Mem test properly... I will have a look at a guide on this.

Thank you for commenting.

Do you oc your ram?
I occasionally get bios freezes\reset at start up due to changes in ram, but mine's a shitty kit anyway...
I don't at all. I have seen a few other comments on this regarding Corsair RAM sticks... This could be the fault also.

I guess while all my stuff is in Warranty I should start replacing asap to find the issue...

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
In before @TheLostSwede gets here - xmp is an Intel standard. There's no guarantees that it will work without problems on an AMD platform.

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
You'll find most issues with ram on ryzen are with corsair lpx sticks which surprise surprise the op has, my bets on the ram also

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
My idle CPU temp however is around 40 - 50 which is a little on the high side in my opinion...
It is a bit warm but not hot by any means. And it is your peak temps that matter. What is your ambient (room) temp? Is your room air conditioned?

I have seen reviews where people have had issues with that particular power supply.
Oh? Got a link? And what kind of issues? I only ask because while Rosewill is not really known for making top-shelf products, many of their PSUs have received some surprisingly good reviews on the professional review sites. I personally don't pay attention to "user" reviews unless there are many that report the exact same problem. This is because sadly, many quality devices are down-rated because it was missing a part, it was the wrong color, the post office delivered it a day late, the box looked like it fell off the UPS truck, or FedEx delivered it next door. And also, there have been reports where people working for competing brands have posted bogus bad reviews. :mad: :( :mad:

That said I always want to ensure I am providing good, clean stable power when troubleshooting any hardware issue. So for sure, as FreedomEclipse suggested, I too recommend you beg, borrow or steal a known good PSU from someone and swap it in to see what happens - before just buying a new one. While the Corsair TX series has a pretty good reputation, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, even the best makers will occasionally make a unit that fails prematurely.

RedzoneDj

It is a bit warm but not hot by any means. And it is your peak temps that matter. What is your ambient (room) temp? Is your room air conditioned?

Oh? Got a link? And what kind of issues? I only ask because while Rosewill is not really known for making top-shelf products, many of their PSUs have received some surprisingly good reviews on the professional review sites. I personally don't pay attention to "user" reviews unless there are many that report the exact same problem. This is because sadly, many quality devices are down-rated because it was missing a part, it was the wrong color, the post office delivered it a day late, the box looked like it fell off the UPS truck, or FedEx delivered it next door. And also, there have been reports where people working for competing brands have posted bogus bad reviews. :mad: :( :mad:

That said I always want to ensure I am providing good, clean stable power when troubleshooting any hardware issue. So for sure, as FreedomEclipse suggested, I too recommend you beg, borrow or steal a known good PSU from someone and swap it in to see what happens - before just buying a new one. While the Corsair TX series has a pretty good reputation, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, even the best makers will occasionally make a unit that fails prematurely.
Thank you for your response. Room does get stuffy at times, unfortunately no Air Conditioning! It has been Hot here in the UK over the past few days so this could explain it being slightly warmer.
While my PSU is in Warranty, I might as well get them to send me out a new one... The issue I have is sometimes i can have hour long gaming sessions with no restart at all and other times i can be playing for 10 mins or after just booting a game and I will experience a freeze followed by restart or just a random restart. It happens frequently but It has good and bad days which confused me even more as it makes it more difficult to trigger so I struggle to narrow down what part might be causing the problem specifically.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

"Worked well, Till it didnt"

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
"Worked well, Till it didnt"
Well, that certainly is not good but that hardly defines what went wrong. There were only 9 reviews total with 4 getting 4 and 5 starts. Then you look at the same supply from Amazon and there are 95 reviews with 92% of them rating 4 or 5 stars. This just illustrates my point that user reviews are not reliable. :(

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
I have that same Corsair memory kit. It would not even POST with XMP on my 1800X or 3800X. I ended up buying this G.Skill Flare X kit instead, works flawlessly.

Recently my sons gaming rig died so I gave him my old 1800X and motherboard. I was able to manually tweak the Corsair kit and it seems to be holding up (4 or 5 months now without issues). I think I ended up cranking up the voltage from 1.35 to something like 1.45 to get it stable at 3200.

You can try running it with XMP off and see if that fixes the issues.

Also what build of Windows 10 are you running? 2004 is still very buggy...

RedzoneDj

I have that same Corsair memory kit. It would not even POST with XMP on my 1800X or 3800X. I ended up buying this G.Skill Flare X kit instead, works flawlessly.

Recently my sons gaming rig died so I gave him my old 1800X and motherboard. I was able to manually tweak the Corsair kit and it seems to be holding up (4 or 5 months now without issues). I think I ended up cranking up the voltage from 1.35 to something like 1.45 to get it stable at 3200.

Oh dear... Looks like I didn't do my homework properly because XMP is not something I have heard of until now. My general question would be why all of a sudden now? The PC has been running perfectly normal up until recently, now the RAM decides it doesnt want to work properly with my processor... seems strange indeed!

2004 Windows 10 still...

Also, would you recommend this for me to swap over? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-F4...89:G-Skill&s=computers&sr=1-1&ts_id=430511031

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Oh dear... Looks like I didn't do my homework properly because XMP is not something I have heard of until now. My general question would be why all of a sudden now? The PC has been running perfectly normal up until recently, now the RAM decides it doesnt want to work properly with my processor... seems strange indeed!

2004 Windows 10 still...

Also, would you recommend this for me to swap over? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-F4-3200C16D-16GTZR-Trident-PC4-25600-Channel/dp/B01MTDEYHU/ref=sr_1_1?c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Computer+Memory&qid=1600277211&refinements=p_89:G-Skill&s=computers&sr=1-1&ts_id=430511031

Try the G.Skill neo, they are tailored for ryzen...
But check on your motherboard manual or manufacture's for the model you want to buy...

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Thank you, I will take a look at those!
I haven't heard of the G.Skill neo series, I chose the flare X for the same reason made for Ryzen compatibility. If it is indeed made for Ryzen compatibility it might be a good idea.

Of note it's not that G.Skill has some special sauce for Ryzen it's just what I used and I know works well. Corsair makes great RAM but the LPX series seems to have Ryzen issues.

2004 Windows 10 still...

Also, would you recommend this for me to swap over? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-F4-3200C16D-16GTZR-Trident-PC4-25600-Channel/dp/B01MTDEYHU/ref=sr_1_1?c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Computer+Memory&qid=1600277211&refinements=p_89:G-Skill&s=computers&sr=1-1&ts_id=430511031
So one the first question, that is a difficult to narrow down because there are so many things it could be. Component wear, higher room temperatures than before, software updates / patches, driver updates, application updates, data corruption, so many things...

If you didn't know what XMP is then you probably didn't enable it... That means if your RAM is having issues it might be at JEDEC defaults which is really bad if it is rated for 3200.

I'm leaning towards power issue now since the RAM is running at default speeds no XMP, that RAM should be fine at default speeds even with the Corsair LPX XMP issues. The thing is your system's weak point is that power supply. 600 Watts is fine but maybe in a better brand. Rosewill is basically a generic brand and with power supplies that matters in my personal experience.

Get a Seasonic or one of the better quality Corsair or EVGA units.