• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Responds to Criticism Surrounding the RTX 3080 Launch

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card went on sale last week, and practically its entire inventory was gone in sixty seconds. The NVIDIA GeForce store exclusively selling the Jewelry-like Founders Edition card was hit by sophisticated scalper bots originally designed for limited-edition apparel sales, and one scalper gloated on the web having picked up over three dozen cards to auction off on e-bay for tens of thousands in profit. Frustrated genuine buyers were left disenchanted with NVIDIA over the handling of the launch.

NVIDIA posted an FAQ on its GeForce blog attempting to explain much of the criticism surrounding its handling of the RTX 3080 launch. NVIDIA's main explanation appears to be an unprecedented market demand for its RTX 3080. The company claims that "The demand for the GeForce RTX 3080 was truly unprecedented. We and our partners underestimated it," NVIDIA says. On scalping, NVIDIA explained that while its store had certain anti-bot measures in place, they underestimated the sophistication of scalping bots this time around. NVIDIA also claims to have manually cancelled hundreds of orders suspected to have been placed using bots. "While individuals using bots may have shown images of email inboxes filled with confirmed orders, NVIDIA has cancelled hundreds of orders manually before they were able to ship."

Find other interesting answers by NVIDIA to FAQs below.

What happened? I was really excited for the GeForce RTX 3080, but the launch has made it near impossible to find one and this is really disappointing.
The demand for the GeForce RTX 3080 was truly unprecedented. We and our partners underestimated it.

Over 50 major global retailers had inventory on the day of launch. Our retail partners reported record traffic to their sites, in many cases exceeding Black Friday. This caused crashes, delays and other issues for their customers. We knew the GeForce RTX 3080 would be popular, but none of us expected that much traffic on the first day.

What's the overall GeForce RTX 3080 stock situation?
The GeForce RTX 3080 is in full production. We began shipping GPUs to our partners in August, and have been increasing the supply weekly. Partners are also ramping up capacity to meet the unprecedented demand. We understand that many gamers are unable to buy a GeForce RTX 3080 right now and we are doing everything we can to catch up quickly. Keep checking in with your favorite retailer to be notified of availability. You may use the GeForce RTX 3080 product finder to find available cards at local retailers.

Why does availability start with such low inventory? Why not wait until more cards are produced?
We have great supply - just not for this level of demand. It is typical for initial demand to exceed supply for our new GPUs. Our global network of partners are ramping as hard as they can to get the new GPUs to the more than 100 million GeForce gamers around the world. Our philosophy has always been to get the latest technology into the hands of gamers as fast as possible. As we race to build more GeForce RTX 3080s, we suggest not buying from opportunistic resellers who are attempting to take advantage of the current situation.

What changes are you making to the NVIDIA Store moving forward?
As with many other etailers, the NVIDIA Store was also overrun with malicious bots and resellers. To combat this challenge we have made the following changes: we moved our NVIDIA Store to a dedicated environment, with increased capacity and more bot protection. We updated the code to be more efficient on the server load. We integrated CAPTCHA to the checkout flow to help offset the use of bots. We implemented additional security protections to the store APIs. And more efforts are underway.

You said the NVIDIA store would have GeForce RTX 3080s at 6 a.m. on September 17th, why did the store immediately go from "notify me" to "out of stock"?
At 6 a.m. pacific we attempted to push the NVIDIA store live. Instantly, the NVIDIA store was inundated with over 10 times the traffic of our previous generation launch, which took our internal systems to a crawl and encountered an error preventing sales from starting properly at 6:00am pacific. We were able to resolve the issues and process orders later than planned.

I saw individuals who use bots/scripts celebrating the purchase of multiple GeForce RTX 3080 GPUs! Did bots get all of the available supply?
No. While individuals using bots may have shown images of email inboxes filled with confirmed orders, NVIDIA has cancelled hundreds of orders manually before they were able to ship.

Why did the NVIDIA Store not have any preventative measures in place to battle bots (i.e. CAPTCHA,etc)?
The NVIDIA Store had many behind-the-scenes security measures in place which proved sufficient for previous launches. This is the first time that we have seen bots at this scale and sophistication. Since launch, we have been quickly working on numerous security upgrades, including CAPTCHA. We will also continue to manually monitor purchases to help ensure cards get in the hands of legitimate consumers.

Why did NVIDIA send "Notify Me" emails knowing that RTX 3080 FE was out of stock?
We intended for "Notify Me" emails to go out at 6:00 a.m. with the targeted start of availability. Due to the extreme demand and site traffic, we were unable to properly process orders on time. The emails were held back until the errors were resolved later than morning. Still, inventory sold out very quickly, so we were sold out by time most people opened their emails. In retrospect, we should not have sent the "Notify Me" emails.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Gone in 60 seconds.
Do we blame Nicholas Cage for this?

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Well at least with the new measures hopefully the RTX 3090 and 3070 launches are better

System Name BUBSTER
Processor I7 13700K (6.1 GHZ XTU OC)
Motherboard Z690 Gigabyte Aorus Elite Pro
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360 RGB
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 4800MHz 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Super Dual OC
Storage Kingston KC 3000 PCIE4 1Tb + 2 Kingston KC 3000 1TB PCIE4 RAID 0 + 4 TB Crucial gen 4 +12 TB HDD
Display(s) Sony Bravia A85 j OLED
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB + Razr Taipan
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare Cherry MX Red + Corsair Gaming K65 lux RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64

D

Deleted member 185088

How about the huge difference in MSRP, why is it 699$ in the US and much more (on nVidia website) I saw up to 40% more, while if imported from the US (assuming it's in stock) it costs less, even though you have to pay tax, shipping and margin?

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
So Nvidia can develop complex AI hardware and the "most powerful GPUs", but can't stop some scalping bots or predict interest in a newly released card?

System Name BUBSTER
Processor I7 13700K (6.1 GHZ XTU OC)
Motherboard Z690 Gigabyte Aorus Elite Pro
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360 RGB
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 4800MHz 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Super Dual OC
Storage Kingston KC 3000 PCIE4 1Tb + 2 Kingston KC 3000 1TB PCIE4 RAID 0 + 4 TB Crucial gen 4 +12 TB HDD
Display(s) Sony Bravia A85 j OLED
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB + Razr Taipan
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare Cherry MX Red + Corsair Gaming K65 lux RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
let's hope Nvidia does it better with the launch of the other Ampere cards...and all the other companies Like AMD Sony...

Gone in 60 seconds.
Gone in 60 Seconds :) just like the Movie

I imagine we have to take their word now for bots being the sole reason most of us didn't even see the 3080 in stock in all 50 major retailers, let alone had a chance of buying it?

We're even worse customers than bots, world really doesn't need humans. :)

All is going according to plan, (artificial) scarcity will push the price of cards higher, and we will happily pay more just to have the chance of owning such a gem! And of course this will not go away after a month or two - cards have to hold their high value for two years.

Did Turing even had any sales or lowering of prices later on? Even 2080 held it's value when they launched a faster 2080 Super at the same price, and most of the cards available in Europe are NOW, two years after the launch priced higher than at beginning. Same goes for other cards in the lineup...

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Heh, I already called this a paper launch as they were released before they were available.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Its all parade. No need for 3080, stock of Turing is full.

I imagine we have to take their word now for bots being the sole reason most of us didn't even see the 3080 in stock in all 50 major retailers, let alone had a chance of buying it?

We're even worse customers than bots, world really doesn't need humans. :)

All is going according to plan, (artificial) scarcity will push the price of cards higher, and we will happily pay more just to have the chance of owning such a gem! And of course this will not go away after a month or two - cards have to hold their high value for two years.

Did Turing even had any sales or lowering of prices later on? Even 2080 held it's value when they launched a faster 2080 Super at the same price, and most of the cards available in Europe are NOW, two years after the launch priced higher than at beginning. Same goes for other cards in the lineup...

I'm done with hardware upgrading craze, i'm so happy to be out of it. This goes in pair with most modern games not catching my interest anymore. (growing too old ? i'm only 47 though...)

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Gone in 60 seconds.

Why refer to the remake instead of the original

It would be nice if nVidia would also stop pathetically charging $60-70 CAD shipping if you buy in Canada. A company that size can have a distributor in Canada for goodness sake.

If the Canadians would stop buying that might happen...

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
It's nice of them to bring their partners in on it. Partners were already leaking that availability will be very low a week in advance.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I feel a ruse with this "unprecedented" demand. NV went earlier with the launch the so called "paper launch" just to have it out in the public. Now they started shipping the Chips and GPUs and people willing to buy these cant due to very low quantities.

It would be nice if nVidia would also stop pathetically charging $60-70 CAD shipping if you buy in Canada. A company that size can have a distributor in Canada for goodness sake.

The shipping is where they make the real profit by over charging, you really think nvidia is paying 60-70 CAD for shipping when simultaneously sending thousands of cards to just Canada.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Gone in 60 seconds.
Nah - It was the "Eleanor-Bot" that's responsible for all the mayhem - Like me.

I do see Nvidia being at fault here but not entirely.
If they can do other measures like making sure all these orders aren't being shipped to the same address and so on that would be great but then again it's not like a group of people can't act together to get some or even "Hire" some folks just to place an order on your behalf.

I saw it coming and knew it was going to be a huge mess at launch with sky-high prices from scalpers trying to make a fortune by leveraging the available supply.

NVIDIA IS TO BLAME FOR THE SHORTAGE, THEY THEM SELF BOTCHED THE RELEASE, NOT THE SCALPS!!!

Even without the scalps stock was way to low compared to real market demand, they are now using the scalps as scapegoats and blame them to save face.

One retailer got over 20000 orders for the Zotac 3080 Trinity (you read that right, 20K orders) and that was for only one SKU from that retailer, does this sound like scalps botched the release.

(Zotac has gone out in a press release saying they are very sorry but they cannot even come close to filling the 20K orders of that one retailer even less the total world orders of the Zotac 3080 Trinity)

Reports suggest MORE THAN 20X higher demand than nvidia predicted for the 3000 series over the 2000 series, IF TRUE how can it even be possible to be that wrong.

How come they did not make proper research in time to predict real market demand, other companies do it, it now really looks like nvidia just winged it.

Also they are so paranoid and secretive til last second that they really have no possibility to prepare for a release with proper stock.

Why purposely keep partners in the dark til the last second so they have a hard time getting stock ready and shipped out to retail on release day.

Look at Sony and Microsoft, WORKING WITH RETAIL LONG IN ADVANCE releasing prices and taking pre-orders of PS5 and XSX up to 2 months in advance making it possible for them to predict proper demand in different parts of the world and have millions of units in stock available to fill those orders when release day comes.

NO, this screw up is ALL NVIDIA's own doing... they WINGED IT and don't get to blame anyone else but them self's!!!

wingedit.jpg

NOTE! I have now seen several retailers starting to increase prices with up to 12%, this a VERY BAD TREND NVIDIA MUST STOP and if nvidia does not magically produce more stock quickly prices will go up even further not only on 3080 BUT also on 3070 when it comes. With higher 3080 prices you will probably see increased prices of 3070 partner cards at release too.

What is even more disturbing is what my friend and marketing expert suggested to me, "nvidia has probably learned from the price chaos of the mining days, by knowing there is a massive market demand they created an artificial shortage by limiting release stock so they quickly could increase the prices and make more money." He said that IF nvidia increases the price of the Founders Edition's this was their plan all along.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard B550M Steel Legend
Cooling XPX (custom loop)
Memory 32GB 3200MHz cl16
Video Card(s) 3080 with Bykski block (custom loop)
Storage 980 Pro
Case Fractal 804
Power Supply Focus Plus Gold 750FX
Mouse G603
Keyboard G610 brown
Software yes, lots!
So will there be more FEs? Or was this a one time thing and now only partner AIBs are continued?

For me the hype train has passed for now. I was ready to buy a 3080 FE card but the whole situation really pissed me off. I would not pay more than the 700€ that were promised anyways.
Nvidia can give all the fake explanations they want but the fact is, they launched a product when they didnt have enough stock to even fill a tiny part of the market. I mean its not like there are some boards missing here and there, but in fact only maybe 1 in 10 or even 1 in 100 people who wanted one, got one. This is just bad and however nvidia tries to bend that fact it just stays bad.
So now I will at least wait for Red October and see what AMD has to offer.
This time I really hope RDNA2 is better than Ampere and all those people that went empty handed now, will get an "Ampere-Killer Radeon 6800 xt 16GB" for 650$ on October 28th :)

Last edited:
The solution to beating the bots is of course using bots yourself - forums are now full of tutorials on how to set up one.

I'm sure we're in this for a long time, situation will not magically improve and stores will not suddenly get their stocks and lower the inflated prices. I predict this will go on for months, and prices can get much higher, remember the great GPU shortage during cryptocraze in 2017?

I know it's not the same market, but Canon launched a high end mirrorles camera EOS R5 three months ago, with minimum stock and a story on how COVID in China and Japan impacted the production of cameras. Three months later and there are still no cameras available anywhere in Europe - you have to step in a waiting line and preorder with unknown date of delivery and that's a camera for 4385 EUR - that's 5150 USD...

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Yeah I wouldn't buy the FE model anyway, the VRAM thermal is supposedly very high, even >100C in one particular spot. I initially found the FLIR image of the 3080 FE to be a little worrying

Later it has been confirmed by Igor's Lab that the VRAM can reach 104C in one spot

A quick fix is putting some thermal pad on the back side of the PCB in that particular spot LOL

Seem like the OEM who make the FE model is still shoddy just like with the Turing launch.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Waiting for tuf, asus is back on track. But till december.

Processor Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard B550M Steel Legend
Cooling XPX (custom loop)
Memory 32GB 3200MHz cl16
Video Card(s) 3080 with Bykski block (custom loop)
Storage 980 Pro
Case Fractal 804
Power Supply Focus Plus Gold 750FX
Mouse G603
Keyboard G610 brown
Software yes, lots!
Yeah I wouldn't buy the FE model anyway, the VRAM thermal is supposedly very high, even >100C in one particular spot. I initially found the FLIR image of the 3080 FE to be a little worrying

Later it has been confirmed by Igor's Lab that the VRAM can reach 104C in one spot

A quick fix in putting some thermal pad on the back side of the PCB in that particular spot LOL

Seem like the OEM who make the FE model is still shoddy just like with the Turing launch.
And what exactly is the problem here? GDDR6X is supposed to have an internal Temp sensor so it that was to high, it would throttle or something. But since it doesn't, themps should be ok...

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
And what exactly is the problem here? GDDR6X is supposed to have an internal Temp sensor so it that was to high, it would throttle or something. But since it doesn't, themps should be ok...

GDDR6X have ECC built in, it won't crash at unstable clocks but you would lose performance

Anyway I don't want to discuss why running GDDR6X at 100C is not a good idea, it just obviously is. Unless you want to play space invaders.
The VRAM on the TUF version run at like 60C, Asus built a sophisticated secondary heatsinks just for the VRAM area, so yeah lower temp is always better.