• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I cleaned and lubed my mouse... lol

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
So, over the years I have returned many, many mice under warranty because of the left button going bad. Generally this meant it would start to double-click when it wasn't supposed to, but sometimes it wouldn't actuate at all.

My current mouse just started doing this and Logitech recommended cleaning the mouse and making sure there is no debris under the plastic piece you actually press on.

I was able to pry it up with a thin blade and blew air in there and it started working fine again, but about a month later it started double-clicking again.

Tonight, I took the mouse apart entirely and cleaned it thoroughly and the problem remained.

I glanced over and noticed I had a can of DeoxIt D5 electronics cleaner/lubricant on my desk that I had used on some switches in a new mechanical keyboard that were double and triple-clicking (which worked really well btw). So, I opened the mouse back up, sprayed the switches (did both sides for good measure) and closed it up.

For about the first five minutes it seemed like it didn't work, but then the mouse started working perfectly.

So there you have it. A quick tip that might restore your wonky mouse before having to replace a switch or the entire mouse. I wish I would have known about this like 10 RMA's ago. lol

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This still is likely only a temporary solution. It is more likely the switch components are simply worn due to friction and/or the return spring is weak from use. No cleaner can undo that sort of damage.

It also seems apparent you need to lighten up with your button pressings. You are supposed to lightly press the mouse buttons, not thump them with hammer hits. ;)

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
This still is likely only a temporary solution. It is more likely the switch components are simply worn due to friction and/or the return spring is weak from use. No cleaner can undo that sort of damage.
I understand what you're saying, but I've use the "really expensive" electronics cleaner from a electronics supply house here in Houston, and I don't know if the expensive stuff is better, but when I spray it under the mouse buttons, work them a little then let it dry out good, I don't have to do it again for around 8 months to a year.

I use "Caig Labs DN5S-6N DeoxIT D-Series Contact Cleaner & Rejuvenator".

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
All mice that have started double clicking on me the switch had to be replaced, it's awesome that it worked and be concerned that how it's getting so dirty inside the mouse as we live in a dusty area and the solution has never been that easy.

But right with you on mech keyboards as i get that issue ever 6 month or so.

D

Deleted member 191766

DeoxIt D5 electronics cleaner/lubricant on my desk that I had used on some switches in a new mechanical keyboard that were double and triple-clicking (which worked really well btw). So, I opened the mouse back up, sprayed the switches (did both sides for good measure) and closed it up.

For about the first five minutes it seemed like it didn't work, but then the mouse started working perfectly.

I use silicone oil, it seems to last and does not need repeating.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
You can get new switches for your mouse (Omron is a common example) if you are willing to do a bit of soldering.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I understand what you're saying, but I've use the "really expensive" electronics cleaner from a electronics supply house here in Houston, and I don't know if the expensive stuff is better, but when I spray it under the mouse buttons, work them a little then let it dry out good, I don't have to do it again for around 8 months to a year.
I suppose it all depends on your environment. It would seem yours is really dusty, and/or you may have 4-legged critters shedding hair and dander, or there may be smokers or other smoke/oily residues in the air. In that scenario, a good contact cleaner may be all that is needed as the switch mechanism is simply full of crud and grime.

But if the switch mechanism is actually worn due to wear and tear, no amount of even the best contact cleaner is going to repair the worn metal or plastic parts, or restore lost tension to the return spring. :(
I use silicone oil, it seems to last and does not need repeating.
Sorry but that's not a good idea. Silicone oil is an excellent lubricant (I use it on the tracks of my garage door opener) but as our friend Bing Google quickly shows, it is also an excellent "insulator". You don't want any insulator to get between the electrical contacts of a switch. And since computer mice are not intended for outdoor, all weather use, those switches are not sealed. So I do not recommend the use of silicone oils. If you have used it on electrical contacts, I recommend you get some real electrical contact cleaner and hope it cleanly removes the silicone oils. I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner is also good.
You can get new switches for your mouse (Omron is a common example) if you are willing to do a bit of soldering.
And as seen here, most have just 3 contacts to desolder then solder. My problem has always been disassembling the mouse without breaking a retaining clip - for those mice that snap together. I guess I just don't know how to strategically place my tongue. :( And with mice that use screws, often the screws to open it up are under the mouse feet/pads/skates. Removing the feet typically destroys the feet and not all mice have available replacements. :(

how it's getting so dirty inside the mouse
Yeah, especially since the OP said he has had to replace "many many mice under warranty". Most mice have just 1 year, 2 if lucky, warranty periods. I don't recall any mouse I've encountered have the switches go bad during normal use in that short of time (while still under warranty). They either broke within the first month or so, or long after the warranty expired. But of course, I don't represent the world. YMMV.

D

Deleted member 191766

Sorry but that's not a good idea. Silicone oil is an excellent lubricant (I use it on the tracks of my garage door opener) but as our friend Bing Google quickly shows, it is also an excellent "insulator". You don't want any insulator to get between the electrical contacts of a switch.

Quantum tunneling

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Quantum tunneling
:rolleyes:
I don't know what that is supposed to mean. If you mean the electrons can still make it through - nonsense. If anything, the silicone oil is what will make it through because it has excellent spreading capabilities and will work its way over, under, around and through to coat (and insulate) the contacts. Silicone oil was never meant to "clean" anything or "lubricate" electrical contacts.

As seen here, it has "superior dielectric properties".

If you don't agree, please go argue with Bing Google. Not with me, or here.

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
Also, I used to buy those cheap "$8.00" ones at Micro Center, I started buying the over $20.00 ones, mostly MS Mouse, and they do seem to last longer.

I suppose it all depends on your environment. It would seem yours is really dusty, and/or you may have 4-legged critters shedding hair and dander, or there may be smokers or other smoke/oily residues in the air. In that scenario, a good contact cleaner may be all that is needed as the switch mechanism is simply full of crud and grime.
O, you forgot the humidity... :eek:

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
O, you forgot the humidity...
:oops: Actually, I didn't which makes my embarrassment even worse. You see, I grew up in Arizona and New Mexico where typically humidity is not a problem (except in monsoon season). I also spent some time in "West" Texas where humidity is not too bad. I saw your "Duke" avatar and Texas location and totally forgot about "East" Texas where it can be like wearing a wet wool blanket in the bayous of Southern Mississippi in the summer time (wear I lived for awhile too).

Humidity actually helps keep dust at bay, but can also promote corrosion. So yeah, good point there.

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro

It also seems apparent you need to lighten up with your button pressings. You are supposed to lightly press the mouse buttons, not thump them with hammer hits. ;)
I'm not that hard on them. The mouse is going to be five years old next month. I blame this. lol

I use "Caig Labs DN5S-6N DeoxIT D-Series Contact Cleaner & Rejuvenator".
Yeah, that's the same stuff. I believe the lubricant in it is mineral oil but don't quote me on that.
All mice that have started double clicking on me the switch had to be replaced, it's awesome that it worked and be concerned that how it's getting so dirty inside the mouse as we live in a dusty area and the solution has never been that easy.

But right with you on mech keyboards as i get that issue ever 6 month or so.
The mouse is five years old, plus my desk isn't always the picture of cleanliness. lol

That keyboard thing really ticks me off. I sent one back because so many keys were doing it right out of the box, then the replacement did the same and I threw the damn thing away. Got a new one (different make and model) and it did the same but not as bad, and that's when I decided to try the Deoxit.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Please stick to the topic at hand and stop with the back and forth and attempts to make yourself superior to someone else.