• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1st AMD build: Trouble finding compatible RAM Kit for ASUS X570 mobo

jmsalal

Hi all,

I'm having a really difficult time locating compatible RAM for an ASUS TUF X570-plus (Wi-Fi) motherboard.

I'm wanting to install a 64Gb/3200MHz kit, either 2 or 4 DIMMs, without overclocking. My overall issue is finding such a kit on the ASUS QVL. The only kit I can find in stock is 3600MHz, which I'd rather not pay for if the CPU (3900X) only handles 3200MHz. I've found some others, but most are Hynix chips, which I hear gives Ryzen builds grief. Corsair shows compatible kits, but every one has a specific Version #. I've also heard anecdotally that there's no way to know what version you'll get when you order, and I don't want to have to RMA.

Since this is my first AMD build, I'm apprehensive about choosing the right hardware. This may just be the nature of AMD vs Intel. My goal is to buy something that runs at advertised speeds at stock with a minimum of configuring (basic BIOS only). I have no experience with XMP or DOCP, and I'm not comfortable adjusting timings, latencies, or voltages. Will this be a major issue?

If anyone could offer advice on a good compatible "out-of-the-box" kit, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance!

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
Also, AMD's specification which is not available in motherboard dram configuration lists, can be found on memory vendors. The actual designation is 'AMP' contemporary to Intel's 'XMP', but you may find them enlisted for "memory for AMD systems".

Another point is that dram has seperate profiles, it will get you the same if not better better performance at faster timings. One distinct tertiary timing that really benefits system performance is tRFC.

jmsalal

DDR4-3600 is a good match for Ryzen 3000. Enable DOCP to use the XMP profile and it should run fine with a 1:1 infinity fabric ratio.
Thank you very much! I did a QVL check on the ASUS list but didn't see these listed. Is it as huge a consequence as what most reviewers make it out to be?

Looks like I need to research a bit more on RAM in general. Thanks again!

Last edited:
If you check the QVL for 32GB and 16GB kits of the same RAM, you should find them listed there. They rarely test the large-capacity kits.

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
Check my specs. Same board as yours, running 3600 ram nicely.

jmsalal

Also, AMD's specification which is not available in motherboard dram configuration lists, can be found on memory vendors. The actual designation is 'AMP' contemporary to Intel's 'XMP', but you may find them enlisted for "memory for AMD systems".

Another point is that dram has seperate profiles, it will get you the same if not better better performance at faster timings. One distinct tertiary timing that really benefits system performance is tRFC.
Wow! So I should hypothetically be able to visit Corsair, Crucial, G. Skill, etc, and find out if a specific kit is compatible with the motherboard (like a reverse QVL)? I've always taken the mobo QVLs as gospel with my Intel builds and never had an issue. To compound things more, I've heard that AMD-based setups are much pickier than Intel ones. I have much to learn lol. Thanks for the info!

If you check the QVL for 32GB and 16GB kits of the same RAM, you should find them listed there. They rarely test the large-capacity kits.
Ah, I see. That explains why so few were on the list. My understanding has been that it's a big gamble if a kit deviates from the QVL and want to have as few headaches and snags as possible. But, you're saying that if a 32 Gb kit of the same frequency and # of DIMMs is supported that a 64 Gb kit of the same brand and specs should work as well?

DDR4-3600 is a good match for Ryzen 3000. Enable DOCP to use the XMP profile and it should run fine with a 1:1 infinity fabric ratio.
I need to familiarize myself with an infinity fabric ratio. Thanks for the info!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Ah, I see. That explains why so few were on the list. My understanding has been that it's a big gamble if a kit deviates from the QVL and want to have as few headaches and snags as possible. But, you're saying that if a 32 Gb kit of the same frequency and # of DIMMs is supported that a 64 Gb kit of the same brand and specs should work as well?

I need to familiarize myself with an infinity fabric ratio. Thanks for the info!
A kit of 2 sticks is likely to be less hassle to set up than a set of 4.

Take it with a grain of salt, but from my research the RAM capacity is inconsequential in terms of compatibility (provided that your motherboard can accept the RAM capacity and speed). It hasn't affected my Ryzen build. When I got my 32GB kit it wasn't listed on the B550-F QVL, but they did list the 16GB version of the same memory. My preference was the 3600MHz 32GB kit and so I just went for it anyway. Haven't had a single hiccup in the week or so that I've been running it. If in doubt you could always double check with the RAM manufacturer.

Everyone recommends going with the 3600MHz memory and running the Infinity Fabric clock (FCLK) at a 50% ratio to the memory (i.e. 1800MHz). That's what I did too. In terms of latency, CL16 is preferable but I personally found that CL18 was much cheaper and only sacrifices a tiny performance margin.

jmsalal

Take it with a grain of salt, but from my research the RAM capacity is inconsequential in terms of compatibility (provided that your motherboard can accept the RAM capacity and speed). It hasn't affected my Ryzen build. When I got my 32GB kit it wasn't listed on the B550-F QVL, but they did list the 16GB version of the same memory. My preference was the 3600MHz 32GB kit and so I just went for it anyway. Haven't had a single hiccup in the week or so that I've been running it. If in doubt you could always double check with the RAM manufacturer.

Everyone recommends going with the 3600MHz memory and running the Infinity Fabric clock (FCLK) at a 50% ratio to the memory (i.e. 1800MHz). That's what I did too. In terms of latency, CL16 is preferable but I personally found that CL18 was much cheaper and only sacrifices a tiny performance margin.
Ah, ok. Sounds like a bit of a gamble may be in order, regardless. The info on Infinity Fabric makes sense. Sounds like the FLCK to memory speed ratio is the reverse of what my Intel BIOS had me do by setting the ULCK to 2x the RAM clock speed. Thanks!

A kit of 2 sticks is likely to be less hassle to set up than a set of 4.
I've seen mention of that: theoretically better to have 32x2 than 16x4. If that's the case, I may want to saturate the mobo to 128gb capacity with matching kits to help future-proof :)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the company "nomenclature" logic and how different companies bake the specs into the part numbers. Corsair is especially confusing, with reports of matching part numbers but different versions than those listed on the QVL. It seems impossible to know if a vendor will send the correct version, as it isn't typically listed online.

Hi all,

I'm having a really difficult time locating compatible RAM for an ASUS TUF X570-plus (Wi-Fi) motherboard.

I'm wanting to install a 64Gb/3200MHz kit, either 2 or 4 DIMMs, without overclocking. My overall issue is finding such a kit on the ASUS QVL. The only kit I can find in stock is 3600MHz, which I'd rather not pay for if the CPU (3900X) only handles 3200MHz. I've found some others, but most are Hynix chips, which I hear gives Ryzen builds grief. Corsair shows compatible kits, but every one has a specific Version #. I've also heard anecdotally that there's no way to know what version you'll get when you order, and I don't want to have to RMA.

Since this is my first AMD build, I'm apprehensive about choosing the right hardware. This may just be the nature of AMD vs Intel. My goal is to buy something that runs at advertised speeds at stock with a minimum of configuring (basic BIOS only). I have no experience with XMP or DOCP, and I'm not comfortable adjusting timings, latencies, or voltages. Will this be a major issue?

If anyone could offer advice on a good compatible "out-of-the-box" kit, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Does this look like a good safe bet?:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-27-01-17-50.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-27-01-17-50.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
That's a lot of ram my dude, just don't go in expecting to just toggle XMP and forget. You might have to do manual tunning, and not necessarily for timings, but for memory/controller voltages to achieve the desired results.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Does this look like a good safe bet?:
Sure does.
G.Skill are pretty safe with AMD, Neo is even better as they are meant to be designed for AMD systems.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
if ya can get some patriot viper steel - yes they are most times a steal. ok ya have more options then we in europe so there maybe cheaper ones.
good info here.
quote:
One remark though: as was the case with some Patriot, Apacer and Corsair kits, there is no QVL list on the manufacturer’s website this time as well. However, we haven’t encountered any problems, and the system booted with the memory running at 3600 MHz without any issues.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I'd avoid Corsair - It just seems everytime someone is having an issue with RAM they say "Corsair" is what they've got. I don't know what's up with that but I've seen alot of folks running Corsair sticks and having problems.

The G. Skill sticks shown (Trident Z Neo) are fine for what you have and should be good to go.
Patriot is a good choice as well, with either one of those you should be able to round out a nice build.

Your 3900x should be more than capable of handling 3600 sticks, probrably up to a set of 4000's at their rated speed TBH about it but also know the board plays a part in that to.
One I've got won't allow for higher RAM speeds, another board will let me crank them as high as I'd dare go (Or so it seems) so the board used will have a big impact on final RAM speeds seen.
The differences I've seen are with the same CPU and RAM sticks used between the two boards (ASRock X470 Tachi Ultimate - MSI X570 MEG ACE) with the MSI being the better of the two.

Last edited:

jmsalal

Sure does.
G.Skill are pretty safe with AMD, Neo is even better as they are meant to be designed for AMD systems.
Awesome! Thanks!

I'd avoid Corsair - It just seems everytime someone is having an issue with RAM they say "Corsair" is what they've got. I don't know what's up with that but I've seen alot of folks running Corsair sticks and having problems.

The G. Skill sticks shown (Trident Z Neo) are fine for what you have and should be good to go.
Patriot is a good choice as well, with either one of those you should be able to round out a nice build.

Your 3900x should be more than capable of handling 3600 sticks, probrably up to a set of 4000's at their rated speed TBH about it but also know the board plays a part in that to.
One I've got won't allow for higher RAM speeds, another board will let me crank them as high as I'd dare go (Or so it seems) so the board used will have a big impact on final RAM speeds seen.
The differences I've seen are with the same CPU and RAM sticks used between the two boards (ASRock X470 Tachi Ultimate - MSI X570 MEG ACE) with the MSI being the better of the two.
Fascinating that Corsair seems to have so much trouble. My Intel builds have done well with their RAM. Then again, AMD is a different animal from what I'm learning. I definitely want it jive with the hardware I put into the build.

if ya can get some patriot viper steel - yes they are most times a steal. ok ya have more options then we in europe so there maybe cheaper ones.
good info here.
quote:
One remark though: as was the case with some Patriot, Apacer and Corsair kits, there is no QVL list on the manufacturer’s website this time as well. However, we haven’t encountered any problems, and the system booted with the memory running at 3600 MHz without any issues.

Nice! Thanks for the recs!

That's a lot of ram my dude, just don't go in expecting to just toggle XMP and forget. You might have to do manual tunning, and not necessarily for timings, but for memory/controller voltages to achieve the desired results.
Ugh, sounds like a major headache waiting to happen.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

This has been posted before so...

I Use G.skill Flair X for my MSI A-PRO X570 motherboard.

I specifically went with 32 gigs G.Skill Flair X PC 3200, CL14 Ram because it equals in overall performance to PC 3600 CL 16 Memory and is slightly superior to PC 3600 CL18 ram

As far as I know, they are Samsung Chips are on the Flair X Ram and not the Hynix ones.

As I always stated.... check your motherboard for memory specs, but I had no issues with these sticks of ram. They were just plug and play for me. They should work for you.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I am using some Patriot Vipers 32GB ( PVS432G320C6K ), have worked flawlessly at 3200 and been able to push the too 3600 but i did notice they were getting a little on the warm side.

jmsalal

I am using some Patriot Vipers 32GB ( PVS432G320C6K ), have worked flawlessly at 3200 and been able to push the too 3600 but i did notice they were getting a little on the warm side.
Is that with the ASUS TUF 570x plus?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
All i was saying was my cheap ass ASRock X570 board ( same CPU ) runs above memory without a hitch. Although it is double sided and don't know if my motherboard would handle 64GB.

jmsalal

All i was saying was my cheap ass ASRock X570 board ( same CPU ) runs above memory without a hitch. Although it is double sided and don't know if my motherboard would handle 64GB.
Ah, got it. Thanks!

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
No problems with Hynix chips on my B450 board. Crucial, on the other hand, only likes to run in single channel. Though on my x370, I can get the crucial to 3600 no problem.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
So, as long as AMD validates a kit, the QVL isn't so important?
They probably are validated on either one of the test systems. I'll give an example, you'll select a FlareX model for an AMD build, and TridentX for an Intel build. Memory makers take you through those pages when you look for ram on their websites. That is what it is for.

When you match the model, all associated kits will work, but your motherboard may still not be strong enough since they have seperate vrms for ram. It might require a higher dram voltage, or a higher grade motherboard per se.