• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/3090 Founders Edition Sales Limited to BestBuy in the US

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Nvidia have a BIG problem

Prices are going up and more and more retailers are increasing prices of 3080 due to the shortage.

Nvidia's conundrum is that they cannot increase the price of 3080 FE and 3090 FE while selling on their own webpage since the RRP is $699 and $1499

SO HOW DO YOU SOLVE THIS!

Simple, you stop selling on your own website and outsource to a BIG retail chain like BestBuy.

Now they can just blame increased cost of distribution and BestBuy can raise the price as they see fit.

WILL BE VERY INTERESTING TO WATCH if BestBuy will keep RRP or raise the price.

If there is and price increase for 3080 FE and 3090 FE you know why they moved the sales to BestBuy.
Nvidia get much higher margins on direct sales. They gain nothing extra from overpriced cards at retailers.

So it's true then? Moore's Law is dead's leaker was right all along. NVidia is artificially rising prices of Ampere by intentionally creating bottleneck on the supply side. This greedy Nvidia plan has been rumored out a month before release and now we can see it unfolding in real time. Jensen is the master of milking shit out of FOMO consumers while still keeping good appearance.

Even the biggest EU tech retailers (Mindfactory, MediaMarkt) don't have preorder option for 3080/90. Zero hits on "3080" in price on EU's search engines. What a joke of a launch :(
I don't subscribe to "conspiracy theories" and ridiculous claims, neither should you. His claims were debunked the moment several AiB partners launched card at the same MSRP as the founders edition. Nvidia doesn't earn anything extra from overpriced AiB cards either, so the idea is just fundamentally flawed. You should just accept the fact that the demand is historically high, Newegg claims it was crazier than black friday, for a single product. This happened for a mixture of several reasons;
- The enthusiast gaming market is growing steadily
- Many buyers skipped Turing
- Covid-19 has accelerated the demand for gaming in general
Don't forget that Turing and Pascal were hardly in stock anywhere for 2-3 months, yet moved record volumes. Neither Ampere, Turing nor Pascal have been failed launches, doing better first quarter sales every time. Just because you can't find one in stock the first week doesn't make it a failure.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
It's clear a big die will have to go away at some point, but Idk whether the way forward is decided already.
You do it by not adding superfluous parts to the GPU, like tensor cores and RT cores. The 3090 is practically 3x the size and transistor count of a 5700 XT with 2x the performance. FP32 performance is through the roof, which is nice on the face of it, assuming that you're constrained by compute (the 3080 and 3090 are not.) If you look at AMD's Vega chips, they were a lot like nVidia's card now; a lot of compute and a lot of texturing capacity, but not a whole lot of pixel pumping power (which you really want when pushing out a lot of frames at high resolutions.)

nVidia sort of improved this by having more ROPs and TMUs which is nice, but all of this extra hardware is going to limit max clock speeds, so it's not as much of a gain as it could have been.

Speculation is a dangerous thing but for me, I think what we're going to see is nVidia and AMD literally switching places when it comes to GPU design. nVidia has traditional kept their GPUs more simple and pushed higher clocks whereas AMD typically had a wider execution pipeline and a lot of bells and whistles that made the GPUs fast on paper. I think what we're going to end up seeing is AMD releasing a GPU that's similar to the 3080s gaming performance, but with a die that's closer to 500mm^2 as opposed to nVidia's 630mm^2 or whatever GA102 is. That means more clocking potential and better yields.

Yes, the dread of every company: having their products sell above MSRP :wtf:

It's telling your POV is that of your favourite company and not that of a consumer. The post you quoted was pointing out this is a scummy move that affects buyers. Who cares if it's bad or not for Nvidia.

Take off your green baseball cap and socks for once, it's verging on shilling at this point.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Either include your source/prove or just stop spreading Nvidia's lies and bs

share.png

This was posted 3 days ago, way ahead of any publicity, from a venerable user too. Well of course I just heard from someone, who just heard from someone, so I don't know the authenticity of that.
The fact remain though is that Best Buy got all the stock of 3080/3090 FE, 10 000 is not an unrealistic number. And yeah...they are gone

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
View attachment 171584

This was posted 3 days ago, way ahead of any publicity, from a venerable user too. Well of course I just heard from someone, who just heard from someone, so I don't know the authenticity of that.
The fact remain though is that Best Buy got all the stock of 3080/3090 FE, 10 000 is not an unrealistic number. And yeah...they are gone
10,000 total for the whole us domestic best buying public, I am not surprised they're sold out.
And hearing from someone who heard from someone who posted on a thread will never be a Fact.

Ever. ..

Unsurprisingly Nvidia FE cards are not about, conspiracy or not , it Was to be expected.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
10,000 total for the whole us domestic best buying public, I am not surprised they're sold out.
And hearing from someone who heard from someone who posted on a thread will never be a Fact.

Ever. ..
Unsurprisingly Nvidia FE cards are not about, conspiracy or not , it Was to be expected.

Why do you care when you are not buying Nvidia anyway ? Nvidia making bank cause you heartache ?

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Why do you care when you are not buying Nvidia anyway ? Nvidia making bank cause you heartache ?
Why do you Assume I care, you don't get that I can disagree with what your saying?!, your claiming that a forum post and some guy saying it makes a fact, it doesn't.
What that fact is or was is irrelevant.

And in my post there was no negative slant put on Nvidia at all, how do you see one?.

And finally you Assume to know what I am buying, Fooooolish in the extreme.

See my systems, do mine look as biased to team red as your suggestion(or yours now I looked), should I have checked your system specs alongside your posting point?!(yes, clarity on your posting history found)

Last edited:
View attachment 171584

Your proof is a post saying "someone said .." ..nothing here is different from your post.

Nvidia get much higher margins on direct sales. They gain nothing extra from overpriced cards at retailers.

I don't subscribe to "conspiracy theories" and ridiculous claims, neither should you. His claims were debunked the moment several AiB partners launched card at the same MSRP as the founders edition. Nvidia doesn't earn anything extra from overpriced AiB cards either, so the idea is just fundamentally flawed. You should just accept the fact that the demand is historically high, Newegg claims it was crazier than black friday, for a single product. This happened for a mixture of several reasons;
- The enthusiast gaming market is growing steadily
- Many buyers skipped Turing
- Covid-19 has accelerated the demand for gaming in general
Don't forget that Turing and Pascal were hardly in stock anywhere for 2-3 months, yet moved record volumes. Neither Ampere, Turing nor Pascal have been failed launches, doing better first quarter sales every time. Just because you can't find one in stock the first week doesn't make it a failure.
AİB partners and retailers can't decide prices by themselves, the must get approval from Nvidia. The overpricing isn't caused of AİB partners and retailers. İt is directly from nvidia. You are claiming that many buyers skipped the 2xxx serious? Why then the prices went %50 higher? Either because there were high demand (as Nivida and their fans claims) or because Nvidia increased the prices and the announcement prices were never true. Just like 3xxx series. Nvidia will do everything to increase the announced prices even higher than 2xxx.
Just stop fooling yourself and accept the truth.

Last edited:
Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
AİB partners and retailers can't decide prices by themselves, the must get approval from Nvidia. The overpricing isn't caused of AİB partners and retailers. İt is directly from nvidia. You are claiming that many buyers skipped the 2xxx serious? Why then the prices went %50 higher? Either because there were high demand (as Nivida and their fans claims) or because Nvidia increased the prices and the announcement prices were never true. Just like 3xxx series. Nvidia will do everything to increase the announced prices even higher than 2xxx.
Just stop fooling yourself and accept the truth.

Oh boy you haven't seen the mining era have you. Retailers were happily selling RX 580 for 500usd+ a pop.
Doesn't matter how much supply there is, when demand exceed supply, price gouging is only a natural outcome.
Don't like it ? don't buy it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
AİB partners and retailers can't decide prices by themselves, the must get approval from Nvidia. The overpricing isn't caused of AİB partners and retailers.
You must be kidding. Beyond Nvidia recently demanding AiBs offering at least one model at the same MSRP, AiBs, wholesalers and retailers are free to price as they wish.

There is no reason to buy hardware with inflated prices. There are numerous stores which offers backorders, place one order there and wait in line if you want a card, don't support those less serious retailers charging a premium for desperate buyers.

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
View attachment 171584

I don't know about the numbers available in question (actually none of us do), but I got my FE that same day from BB without even trying. I got on during a break at work and the 'add to cart' button was up. No bot, no browser extension required. UPS sent tracking over the weekend confirming delivery 10/13 and my Watchdogs/GFN came in an email this morning as well. Maybe I coincidentally got on at the exact second that they went live? I doubt it, who knows.... But I did stay around after my order went through and watched their site as the FE's ended up going and then Gigabyte Vision came in/went out of stock. It was over the course of maybe 10 minutes or so from the time I got on, but definitely was not a case of the button switching from "notify" to "out of stock" instantly like we have seen everywhere since launch. This leads me to believe that they at least had a sizable amount on hand.

I don't subscribe to "conspiracy theories" and ridiculous claims, neither should you. His claims were debunked the moment several AiB partners launched card at the same MSRP as the founders edition. Nvidia doesn't earn anything extra from overpriced AiB cards either, so the idea is just fundamentally flawed. You should just accept the fact that the demand is historically high, Newegg claims it was crazier than black friday, for a single product.
I saw that NewEgg post as well. Then there is this:
And that is a single brand, on a single website. (not to mention probably the LEAST desirable 30xx series brand available)

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
some OCN member asked Best Buy staff and they said Best Buy received 10 000 cards, still a pretty good number of cards there
Well, at 977 stores, that is 10.23541453428864 FE cards per store. :wtf:

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Well, at 977 stores, that is 10.23541453428864 FE cards per store. :wtf:

Only online purchase. I think they don't have the time to ship 10 cards to each store :D.

Last edited:
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Only online purchase. I think they don't have the time to ship 10 cards to each store :D.
Probably, no definitely not worth it , shipping direct to buyers does make sense in tight supply from one company( a bit dubious for the other shops trying to make money)
As for scalpers etc, I doubt anything tech related would ever warrant me buying off a scalper, I would do without, alternate or whatever I had too including just waiting to avoid doing so, and honestly think everyone should just do that but, it's their money, if people are willing to pay over the odds, and more than you to own something like a 3080 or 90, then fair enough, it's their money, and it's also fine some other guy makes some money off him.
For those without, and I'm there a lot, tough shit this Is the capitalist system we built , I can't buy a Ferrari , yaught or ATM even a home , tough shit, deal with it as you must.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Just a summary from some of the major retailers in Poland:
morele.net - 9 partner 3080's, all for "pre-order", all limited to 1 unit per customer
x-kom.pl - 13 partner 3080's, all with "delivery expected soon", all limited to 1 unit per customer
RTV EURO AGD - 4 partner 3080's, all "temporarily unavailable"
komputronik.pl - 17 partner 3080's, all "temporarily unavailable"

3 of those retailers are specifically listed on Nvidia's website.

System Name Jewel
Processor Intel i9 9900 3.1GHz
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Noctua U12 Chromax
Memory GSKill 2x16 GB modules @ 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS/NVIDIA rtx 4070 12 GB
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Lenovo 23" 1920x1080p--it refuses to die
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Black/Black glass
Audio Device(s) Built-in w/Creative Gigaworks T 40 series !! speakers
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova G2 Gold 650 watts
Mouse Logitech G300 wired
Keyboard Razer Huntsman mini RGB w/optical switches
Software Windows 10 | Windows 11 Insiders Beta channel | separate drives
Benchmark Scores Passmark: 9732 Unigine Superposition: 9612 InfinityBench: A-
As of today, Best Buy is sold out completely. Again! It was offering both Founders Editions via its online store only. You can't go to its brick and mortar stores for these any more either, it seems. Here is its current statement regarding the Founders cards:
bestbuyfounders cards.PNG

Micro Center also has an online setup.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It's telling your POV is that of your favourite company and not that of a consumer. The post you quoted was pointing out this is a scummy move that affects buyers. Who cares if it's bad or not for Nvidia.

Take off your green baseball cap and socks for once, it's verging on shilling at this point.
It's also telling you'll accept anything, no matter how far fetched, to paint someone bad. Now can we, please, move on?

(I've posted my POV as a consumer: MSRPs are already too high. It would seem there are enough consumers that disagree, these fly from the shelves at current price. Spread conspiracies about Nvidia to whoever will listen to you wont fix that.)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This is what happens when you produce GPUs with absolutely gargantuan dies. Yields suck so supply is low and you need to crank the price up to compensate. This isn't rocket science. I'm not sure if nVidia wasn't paying attention, but Intel tried doing this with CPUs and it's backfiring. I wonder what makes nVidia think that they can do it with GPUs and be successful.

All rich men who wear leather jackets suffer from a condition known as Hubris.

edit: for those of you wondering, yes that was sarcasm. I like the Nvidia CEO, not as much as I like Lisa Su, but he is still awesome.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
This is a lie. As always with nGreedia.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Ya'll are a bunch of whiners. If you want one, keep checking Best Buy, they sell for $699 when in stock. NOT above msrp.

Its not a scam like some of the lunatics in this thread.

Just have some patience damn.
Not everybody is from US bro... Here in Japan the prices are usually +50% more. Crazy.

kingDR

Nvidia have a BIG problem

Prices are going up and more and more retailers are increasing prices of 3080 due to the shortage.

Nvidia's conundrum is that they cannot increase the price of 3080 FE and 3090 FE while selling on their own webpage since the RRP is $699 and $1499

SO HOW DO YOU SOLVE THIS!

Simple, you stop selling on your own website and outsource to a BIG retail chain like BestBuy.

Now they can just blame increased cost of distribution and BestBuy can raise the price as they see fit.

WILL BE VERY INTERESTING TO WATCH if BestBuy will keep RRP or raise the price.

If there is and price increase for 3080 FE and 3090 FE you know why they moved the sales to BestBuy.

1602591974423.png