• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crashing when gaming

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory 16GB HyperX 3200 MHz
Storage Intel 545s 512GB SSD, WD HD 1TB
Display(s) Philips 226e9qhab
Case Cooler Master K380
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W
Software Windows 10
So my previous RX 590 GPU was getting me crashes I did an RMA and I got a refund.
Got a 5700 XT now a month later with the same issue. Literally, I was just playing minecraft with a friend since his laptop can't do anything better, my screen went black, got a loud noise and my pc restarted.
I doubt I got two bad gpus in a row with the same issue from a completely different manufacturer.
I have no idea what to do now, I'm just sick of this....
And don't tell me reinstall this or that because I did many, many times already including drivers, windows...
I also checked all temperatures while gaming (cpu,mobo,gpu) and they were more than acceptable.

Crashed in Tomb Raider(2013), Devil may cry V and now even minecraft.
CPU: R7 2700X
GPU: 5700 XT PowerColor Red Dragon
MOBO: B450 Tomahawk Max
PSU: SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W

Should I try updating BIOS? Resseting CMOS? Another PCIE slot? Removing ram sticks?

Processor RYZEN 7 3700X
Motherboard ASROCK B550M-HDV
Cooling STOCK Prism Cooler
Memory Ballistix BLS2K8G4D30AESBK 16GB Sport LT 3000 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 THICC II Pro
Storage Crucial 256Gb SSD
Case Corsair 230T Graphite
Power Supply ANTEC 850W
Software Windows 10 Pro
You should update to the latest BIOS for starters. How long did your 5700 XT work before you started getting crashes again? I'm suspecting a recent windows update might be the cause. Check GPU-Z and verify that it's showing your actual GPU's specs. If it only shows a generic name. There might be an issue with driver not reporting to OS what is installed. A system restore might help go back to a time where your system was stable and running good. Then from this point, you can troubleshoot. What is causing the crash. I know this process is tedious, annoying. But, I have the same issues with AMD 5000 series GPU's not running well with current drivers.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
You should update to the latest BIOS for starters. How long did your 5700 XT work before you started getting crashes again? I'm suspecting a recent windows update might be the cause. Check GPU-Z and verify that it's showing your actual GPU's specs. If it only shows a generic name. There might be an issue with driver not reporting to OS what is installed. A system restore might help go back to a time where your system was stable and running good. Then from this point, you can troubleshoot. What is causing the crash. I know this process is tedious, annoying. But, I have the same issues with AMD 5000 series GPU's not running well with current drivers.
It all looks good in GPU Z, crashes started like a week after I got it.
I have reinstalled windows since then so no point in doing a restore point.
I will update to the latest MOBO bios and I will see if anything changes.

Also It doesn't crash as bad as my previous gpu, and it doesn't get artifacts.

Win+R -> 'eventvwr.msc' (launches the Event Viewer), does it show you anything (Event Type Critical) about the crashes?
eventvwr.png

event2.png

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Look at event viewer for errors on that day of the crash.

Processor RYZEN 7 3700X
Motherboard ASROCK B550M-HDV
Cooling STOCK Prism Cooler
Memory Ballistix BLS2K8G4D30AESBK 16GB Sport LT 3000 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 THICC II Pro
Storage Crucial 256Gb SSD
Case Corsair 230T Graphite
Power Supply ANTEC 850W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Cool. Make sure that OS does NOT automatically install "optional Drivers". We both have similar system. Although you system is much better.
Mine
CPU: R7 2700X
GPU: XFX R290X, Water cooled
MOBO: ASUS B450, Prime, with latest BIOS
MEM: 16GB, DDR-4, 3000mhz
Radeon Adrenaline: 20.9.2 installed

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Win+R -> 'eventvwr.msc' (launches the Event Viewer), does it show you anything (Event Type Critical) about the crashes?
View attachment 172137
View attachment 172138
Yes, just Kernel-Power.
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Just realised that sometimes GPU-related issues are considered Errors, not Critical so you may want to check that too
However if there's Kernel-Power related Criticals it all points to some kind of a power delivery issue (system drawing more power than the PSU can handle, for instance) so you may want to debug that first (replace your PSU, shit like that).

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Just realised that sometimes GPU-related issues are considered Errors, not Critical so you may want to check that too
However if there's Kernel-Power related Criticals it all points to some kind of a power delivery issue (system drawing more power than the PSU can handle, for instance) so you may want to debug that first (replace your PSU, shit like that).

In errors I found "Session "PerfDiag Logger" failed to start, The previous system shutdown was unexpected., Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0,
The Audiosrv service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not start due to a logon failure.,
The SbieSvc service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. "

Well, unfortunately I'm not in a position rn where I'm able to just change my psu especially since this one was't cheap in the first place. I will see what I can do.
Also since I built it and it's my first time It's possible I did something wrong. I will take it to a pc shop to clean it from dust and everything and if possible make them update the bios since I don't want to mess up and brick it.
And also thank you for the advice. I will update the situation.

Just remembered this:

That's probably your problem - you will in all likeliness need a new PSU.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Just remembered this:

That's probably your problem - you will in all likeliness need a new PSU.
Well then it should happen during any heavy load on the gpu, but it seems to do it only in games.
I moved it to another PCIE slot. But I will put on furmark or something for a couple hours then..

You may be able to RMA your PSU:
A few users have reported possible compatibility issues between pre-January 2018 FOCUS PLUS (v1) power supplies and certain brands of GPU models during heavy gaming / GPU utilization. This may result in a black screen or random reboot of the system. If you experience such occurrences, please contact support@seasonic.com and we will test your power supply and take necessary action to rectify any possible issues.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
You may be able to RMA your PSU:

I put the card in the other PCIE slot and so far no crashes. I also replugged some cables just in case.
Got to play a decent amount of Death Stranding and CSGO.
However the second PCIE slot does bottleneck the gpu by like 20-40%
And also ran unigine heaven and a bunch of stress test on the cpu and gpu for a couple hours at the same time so I think that eliminates the PSU.
Maybe the cables and the gpu just needed reseating, I will have to test more and update the situation.

System Name Zabanya
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Asus X570 Strix-E
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2x 16 GB G Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Seagate Firecuda 520 2 TB, , 2x 18 TB, 3x 20 TB = total 88,71 TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850, LG C1 55 OLED
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX NR-646, RHA L1 DACAMP, Sennheiser HD-599
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Mouse Roccat Kone XP
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
The problem with the Focus was with the FX version aka the Focus V1 which was later fixed and the FX version itself was replaced by the GX/PX aka V2 version which did not have the problem either
The OP has a PX so its not that problem

The PSU can still be broken but its not the compatibility problem
its been almost 3 years now and people are still going on about a problem that was fixed long ago you cant even buy a Focus FX/V1 in most places anymore its long been EOL

I put the card in the other PCIE slot and so far no crashes. I also replugged some cables just in case.
Got to play a decent amount of Death Stranding and CSGO.
However the second PCIE slot does bottleneck the gpu by like 20-40%
And also ran unigine heaven and a bunch of stress test on the cpu and gpu for a couple hours at the same time so I think that eliminates the PSU.
Maybe the cables and the gpu just needed reseating, I will have to test more and update the situation.
Reduction in performance usually leads to a reduction in power draw which in turn may lead to the GPU remain in the safe areas of power draw and improve stability.
I mean, if you're willing to live with up to 40% reduction in performance be my guest.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Reduction in performance usually leads to a reduction in power draw which in turn may lead to the GPU remain in the safe areas of power draw and improve stability.
I mean, if you're willing to live with up to 40% reduction in performance be my guest.
But I crashed even in minecraft which for sure doesn't draw 190W from the GPU like other games.
I'm just testing it in this slot, of course I will put it back in the X16 slot.
This is a hard issue to troubleshoot because it's not like it crashes easly, It's very random I have to try everything I can.
Might crash after 30 minutes, or might crash once in a week.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Give us exact specs of your memory kit. DDR 4 3000 MHz isn't enough.
Random restarts when gaming might be result of memory settings not being stable, especially if you're using xmp on AMD platform. It doesn't have to be psu. Get Memtest64 and run it for few hours. Make sure you close all the programs running in the background so it will use as much memory as possible.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Random restarts when gaming might be result of memory settings not being stable, especially if you're using xmp on AMD platform. It doesn't have to be psu. Get Memtest64 and run it for few hours. Make sure you close all the programs running in the background so it will use as much memory as possible.
HyperX Predator 2x8 3200MHz DDR4 CL16
HX432C16PB3K2/16

Alright.

No errors in memtest.

Have you measured/tracked your power consumption when playing Minecraft (Something like Afterburner's probably enough - or w/e you'd use for AMD)? You'd be surprised at how much even something like Minecraft can load your GPU (esp if you disable vsync) ...

In any case, a known issue exists with this specific model of Focus, so imo it'd be fairly safe to assume that this is the problem especially given that all the data points to a power-delivery issue (memory-related issues usually BSOD and would thus generate something in the event log).
Also, the issue here is the Focus' overzealous transient overvoltage or -current (don't really remember which, forgot all my EE shit lmao) protection that shuts it down on some higher-performance GPUs (GPU load is rarely, if ever constant during gaming - you may switch from a very light to a very intensive game at a moment's notice, and back again which in turn leads to different load levels and power draw and thus transients).
Admittedly this would still happen even on a PCIe-bottlenecked scenario so there's that too.

However, I would still suggest you to contact Seasonic support as they may be able to help you. I would also recommend you to test your system (unchanged) with a known good PSU, but that may not be something available to you. (Try visiting/asking a repair shop, maybe?)

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Have you measured/tracked your power consumption when playing Minecraft (Something like Afterburner's probably enough - or w/e you'd use for AMD)? You'd be surprised at how much even something like Minecraft can load your GPU (esp if you disable vsync) ...

In any case, a known issue exists with this specific model of Focus, so imo it'd be fairly safe to assume that this is the problem especially given that all the data points to a power-delivery issue (memory-related issues usually BSOD and would thus generate something in the event log).
Also, the issue here is the Focus' overzealous transient overvoltage or -current (don't really remember which, forgot all my EE shit lmao) protection that shuts it down on some higher-performance GPUs (GPU load is rarely, if ever constant during gaming - you may switch from a very light to a very intensive game at a moment's notice, and back again which in turn leads to different load levels and power draw and thus transients).
Admittedly this would still happen even on a PCIe-bottlenecked scenario so there's that too.

However, I would still suggest you to contact Seasonic support as they may be able to help you. I would also recommend you to test your system (unchanged) with a known good PSU, but that may not be something available to you. (Try visiting/asking a repair shop, maybe?)
In modded minecraft(around 150 mods) and 300+ fps.
Whole 50-60W in game, in pause screen 100-150W, but it didn't crash in the pause screen.
But alright I will contact SeaSonic.
For the past few days I played Death Stranding and finished Tomb Raider, games which did draw around 160-170W and no crashes.
I put it back in the first X16 slot, I will test more.

Reply from seasonic: "Your serial number is from new revision and shouldn't encounter any issue. Any chance to try your PSU and its cables in another computer? It may be possible that PSU got issue (not related to high transient load) and that will trigger safety. Maybe make some more tests and if needed, RMA it either with your seller, our distributor... "

Last edited:
Interesting. Good to have ruled that out tho.
Could be an issue with the PCIe slot then (damaged, or just badly/wrongly plugged in).

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Well, It seems to run well in games now except.
I'm having complete system restarts when working in blender. Not rendering but just modelling something or anything really, my screen goes black and then it restarts.
I figured out it isn't RAM. I will test another PSU. Also updated the bios.

EDIT, couple hours later:
Well, as I assumed. It's not the PSU.
Which leaves the GPU, CPU and motherboard.

Last edited:
System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
So, I just tested my GPU in another PC and it doesn't even go past boot/bios screen.(Keep in mind this system used only an APU until this) Like it shows MSI's pro series logo and it starts loading windows and later just no signal. But I can go into the BIOS settings fine.
Why is this happening? It works (almost fine, some issues) on my pc and not booting in another pc.
It could also be due to the motherboard?

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Also happened yesterday, in photoshop(yeah, blackscreen full system crash, restart)
And for the first time I got these errors:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

---------------------------------------------

Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

----------------------------------------------

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 8

All three at the same time, after the crash.