• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ClockTuner for Ryzen Version 1.1 Released

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yuri "1usmus" Bubliy released the latest version of ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR), a utility for perfecting an AMD Ryzen-powered PC overclock. CTR lets you easily implement the most optimal clock, voltage, timing, and memory settings for your desktop, and squeezed out levels of performance previously not thought possible, with users reporting double-digit percentage performance gains for practically free.

Version 1.1 introduces a handful new features. For starters, the app's user interface comes with a separate profile management page, which can be accessed by clicking on the "profile management" button. It's now easier to reset the settings. Tool-tips across the app have been improved. CTR 1.1 also introduces additional internal checks to ensure a frequency step up doesn't run into voltage droop. Improvements have been made to the app's engine to ensure the correct commands are sent to the registers, and the "check stability" function.

DOWNLOAD: Clock Tuner for AMD Ryzen

The change-log follows.

• The profile management buttons have moved to a separate page, which can be accessed by pressing the "PROFILE MANAGEMENT" button. The user now has 2 slot profiles to which he can record the results of the current experiment or make manual corrections.
  • A button has been added to reset the settings and pop-up tooltips have been added. The log has been slightly transformed and additional information can be displayed in it, which will allow the user to solve problems on his own without resorting to forum discussions. As an additional help, a button-link to the English video guide has been added to CTR 1.1 (Russian video guide will be added soon). It is located in the "ABOUT & HELP" tab.
  • In "Settings mode" user can include additional settings, which will be useful only for advanced users. That is, we have the concept of CTR in 2 clicks (DIAGNOSTIC - START).
  • CTR 1.1 got a new engine with some additional rules. Now, before making a step to a higher frequency, CTR checks the current frequency with reduced voltage relative to the reference one. In most cases, this can prevent BSOD during the frequency step or high Vdroop. It also helps to prevent the system from false pitch to a higher frequency if the CCX is on the edge of instability.
  • Another important advantage of the new CTR 1.1 engine is the new, secure method of controlling the frequency and voltage of the processor. This will protect user systems from sending incorrect commands to registers.
  • The load level of stress tests has been corrected for all processors and all modes. Now uses a more loyal value of FFT, which can protect the system from BSOD.
  • Load Line Calibration level requirements have been revised and thanks to the new CTR rules you can use LLC in Auto mode (in most cases you will not need to use LLC Mode 3). This also means that ASRock and Gigabyte motherboards are fully supported.
  • "Enhance accuracy" is a system of additional frequency step crushing using voltage. Depending on the reference voltage value, the CTR selects the optimal number of extra steps. Yes, the "tuning" process becomes longer, but the results are more accurate.
  • The diagnostic mode has received a number of improvements. Step time was increased and stress load was corrected using FFT. This significantly reduced the probability of BSOD. The evaluation of the cooling system allows to automatically offer the user the optimal mode. It can be an undervolting mode or an overclocking mode with the current PPT level saved. That is, if you use a BOX cooler, you will be automatically offered an undervolt mode, which has a chance to reduce the processor temperature in the load up to 15 degrees (and reduce the noise level).
  • The system of penalties for creating the final profile was redesigned. Now the penalty will depend on the maximum processor temperature during the diagnostics as well as the current Vdroop level. This allows the profile to have some additional stability reserve.
  • "Autoshare stats" allows you to send the result of successful system tuning to the server. The report contains all the information available on the "BENCHMARK" tab. After sending the result to the user, the window with the stored results on the server will automatically open. Access to the results is open for everyone.
  • "CHECK STABILITY" is an opportunity to check the system for stability. Basic time is 10 minutes if "Enhance accuracy" option is enabled - 20 minutes. If an error is found - the stress test will be stopped immediately. You may not be afraid to leave CTR unattended.
  • EDC, TDC, PPT and Max temperature values are corrected. Now the CTR protection system will not react so hard on user experiments.
  • Note. EDC, TDC, PPT and Max temperature values do not apply to PBO or telemetry settings, do not affect the CPU protection system and do not affect system performance.
  • The last important innovation is the ability to use CTR without SMT.
  • And, of course, numerous bugs have been fixed. Improved support for Ryzen 3 3100, Ryzen 5 3500 and Ryzen 5 3500X processors.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Since the way of tuning for gains get through the chiplets, no need for the tool to exist for Zen and Zen+. Great effort from the dev. Many will use and benefit from it. Kudos! :clap::toast:

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No love for Zen and Zen+ :(

PBO features this uses don't exist for Zen 1 and +.

So you'll likely never see this backported.

System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG E670X ACE
Cooling Corsair Cappelix H150i
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Video Card(s) AMD RX7900XTX
Storage 120TB HDD + 3x 2TB SSD RAID, External - 390 TB Various HDD drives
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI 4 + SteelSeries Arctis Pro USB
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse SteelSeries Rival710
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
Love it.
My Threadripper 3960X gained 1000 points in CB20 for free (within the same power envelope). 12900 vs 13876 points.

Dux

I fail to see what is this program supposed to accomplish? Whenever i used it, it just lowered my CPU frequency and added a shitload of voltage. Ryzen master auto OC has set my CPU to 4.2GHz and 1.1V. 100% stable. This program sets it to 4075MHz and 1.250V. And ofc my CB20 score iss lower when this thing underclocks and overvolts my CPU.

I fail to see what is this program supposed to accomplish? Whenever i used it, it just lowered my CPU frequency and added a shitload of voltage. Ryzen master auto OC has set my CPU to 4.2GHz and 1.1V. 100% stable. This program sets it to 4075MHz and 1.250V. And ofc my CB20 score iss lower when this thing underclocks and overvolts my CPU.
Might be because you didn't tailor LLC level to its specifications?

I don't get these programs, though, if they don't reflect how pbo works and only affectsmanual oc.

Dux

Might be because you didn't tailor LLC level to its specifications?

I don't get these programs, though, if they don't reflect how pbo works and only affectsmanual oc.
"Load Line Calibration level requirements have been revised and thanks to the new CTR rules you can use LLC in Auto mode (in most cases you will not need to use LLC Mode 3). This also means that ASRock and Gigabyte motherboards are fully supported."

"Load Line Calibration level requirements have been revised and thanks to the new CTR rules you can use LLC in Auto mode (in most cases you will not need to use LLC Mode 3). This also means that ASRock and Gigabyte motherboards are fully supported."
Well, doesn't say improved. You can omit LLC, that does not necessitate vdroop is mitigated. You can scale your power stability irregardless of the latest feature level, if you value stability over novelty.

I'm sure the app works great for some. My system is overall faster without it using PBO+ on my 3960x w/fclk at 1866 and RAM at 3733. System is not stable with those settings and CTR but is rock solid at those settings without CTR.
You lose a lot of single-core boost headroom in my experience with CTR v1.0 but will try again with 1.1

Taotaisei

R5-3600 PBO wouldn't get past 4.15 ghz. Using 1.0b3 I was able to get 4.3 on both ccx at 1.275v and 67c using avx light. Definitely useful for me. I look forward to trying CTR 1.1 to see if it offers better or if I can get a better 1.3v.

Any suggestions on limits I should set? I'm running a Hyper 212 Black so better than stock but obviously not a big cooler or AIO.

R5-3600 PBO wouldn't get past 4.15 ghz. Using 1.0b3 I was able to get 4.3 on both ccx at 1.275v and 67c using avx light. Definitely useful for me. I look forward to trying CTR 1.1 to see if it offers better or if I can get a better 1.3v.

Any suggestions on limits I should set? I'm running a Hyper 212 Black so better than stock but obviously not a big cooler or AIO.
You might not be able to tell, but FID control doesn't let you overclock past your current rating above the temperature trigger zone. If you are above PPT/voltage>tdc, the chip doesn't clock further. It doesn't matter in manual mode or not, FID keeps it in line. You can either decrease the voltage, the llc level or the temperature for tdc, all the way up to constant edc current levels. Again, 4.15GHz is just how you approached things, this isn't a fixed solution.

Taotaisei

You might not be able to tell, but FID control doesn't let you overclock past your current rating above the temperature trigger zone. If you are above PPT/voltage>tdc, the chip doesn't clock further. It doesn't matter in manual mode or not, FID keeps it in line. You can either decrease the voltage, the llc level or the temperature for tdc, all the way up to constant edc current levels. Again, 4.15GHz is just how you approached things, this isn't a fixed solution.

Apologies but I'm not 100% sure what you said. If it helps, I didn't try any manual oc. I just left it baseline with PBO and auto OC on. From what I read RAM oc was typically more impactful anyways. So I spent 8+ hours upping frequency and tightening timings. It was quite fun and informative, but also a pain I'd likely not do again.

Then I just used CTR to do the CPU part. I honestly feel like this program was purpose built for people like me. A little bump to performance for those with little time or simply can't understand.

Apologies but I'm not 100% sure what you said. If it helps, I didn't try any manual oc. I just left it baseline with PBO and auto OC on. From what I read RAM oc was typically more impactful anyways. So I spent 8+ hours upping frequency and tightening timings. It was quite fun and informative, but also a pain I'd likely not do again.

Then I just used CTR to do the CPU part. I honestly feel like this program was purpose built for people like me. A little bump to performance for those with little time or simply can't understand.
If you were doing it according to pbo, these mean more in that case. Be sure to overclock tertiary dram timings with motherboard automatic setup while setting trfc yourself. It matters a lot.
You cannot use pbo to full extent if you cannot cool your cpu, I agree in that sense clocktuner is easier in that case; though how safe I wonder. You would be better served sticking to defaults imo. We have plenty of users, buildzoid included, who have egregiously fried their chips(he didn't even pay attention to how his motherboard was reporting high-load voltage levels). I see no fun in that for a couple of months of unsupervised electromigration.

I give a bunch of cpu cooler examples here. Yours is like a mini 34.

Dux

I searched and searched in my MSI X570 motherboard BIOS, but i can't find anything called LLC or Load Line Calibration. Maybe it is called something else on MSI BIOS? I did find some other interesting stuff while digging around. Like auto reduction of memory latency (which actually works according to AIDA64), and some settings that give better score in certain benching programs. Like cinebench, aida and others. It actually says in BIOS in which programs, and then you pick one. But...LLC is nowhere to be found.

Edit. I searched on MSI site and they seem to have it only under intel MBO's.
Edit 2. I did find it. Set it to 3 as recommended. Idk is this AMD thing with them being notorious for their garbage drivers, but now my CPU is superovervoltaged and clock reduced. I was able to set 4.2GHHz and 1.1V on core manually. Super stable. Now this program recommends 3950MHz and 1.275V. And auto OC in Ryzen Master Recommends 1.475V!!! for 4.3GHz. Somehow, for whatever black magic reason, even after setting LLC back to auto, that magical 4.2GHz with 1.1V is impossible.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
how much settings ya have Mr.DuxCro for LLC ? is 3 max?
normally i take 75% so if there is a 1 to 10 setting like in asus bios i would take 7 or 8 so that for Example 1,250 volt is circa 1,225 under load.

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
PBO features this uses don't exist for Zen 1 and +.

So you'll likely never see this backported.
As far as I know pbo has nothing to do with what this app is doing

normally i take 75% so if there is a 1 to 10 setting like in asus bios i would take 7 or 8 so that for Example 1,250 volt is circa 1,225 under load.
In Asus bios I have just 5 levels of LLC. All of the asus X570 and B550 have 5 levels...

I'm sure the app works great for some. My system is overall faster without it using PBO+ on my 3960x w/fclk at 1866 and RAM at 3733. System is not stable with those settings and CTR but is rock solid at those settings without CTR.
You lose a lot of single-core boost headroom in my experience with CTR v1.0 but will try again with 1.1
Well 3960X is a totally different beast, but I can say for sure I’ve got an improvement on my 3900X.
CB20 went from 7200-ish to 7700, which is great.

single thread lost ? There is nothing single threaded nowadays, not even notepad ;)
by the way I went from 524 to 510 points CB20 single thread, so I wouldn’t call it “a lot” of damage.
I’m using CCX1 and CCX2 @ 4400 MHz and CCX3 and CCX4 @ 4200 MHz, at 1.250 V on a silver sample 3900X

Dux

8 settings

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I haven't tried this yet as it seems to focus on reaching max clocks. Does it optimise for efficiency too?

Let's say I'm happy with my 3900X but don't like the voltage and subsequent temperature spikes that are applied to reach 4.6GHz by default. I don't want to underclock but I'm wondering if there's an fast and easy way to find the undervolt sweet spot.

I haven't tried this yet as it seems to focus on reaching max clocks. Does it optimise for efficiency too?

Let's say I'm happy with my 3900X but don't like the voltage and subsequent temperature spikes that are applied to reach 4.6GHz by default. I don't want to underclock but I'm wondering if there's an fast and easy way to find the undervolt sweet spot.

My fast and easy way to find a completely stable underclock :
Set undervolt offset for example 0.050V
Test with Prime95 Small FFT's (second option) AVX all enabled and let it run through all FFT sizes.
If you don't have a core that crashes it's stable.
Rinse and repeat (with bigger undervolt offsets until it gets unstable).
Don't go more than 0.100V undervolt, even before that you will lose boostspeeds.
I run 0.050V undervolt myself.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
My fast and easy way to find a completely stable underclock :
Set undervolt offset for example 0.050V
Test with Prime95 Small FFT's (second option) AVX all enabled and let it run through all FFT sizes.
If you don't have a core that crashes it's stable.
Rinse and repeat (with bigger undervolt offsets until it gets unstable).
Don't go more than 0.100V undervolt, even before that you will lose boostspeeds.
I run 0.050V undervolt myself.
I run a -0.100V offset so runs between 1.28-1.35 with t odd 1.4 peak on my 3700X. While I haven’t had any luck running this without crashing and despite it saying I have a Golden Sample. The actual test voltages are pretty low. Someone pointed out the obvious I should raise the reference test voltage a little and see if I can get it to finish without crashing.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
As far as I know pbo has nothing to do with what this app is doing

This App is using the same mechanisms that PBO does to adjust things on the fly.

It's literally a soft mod for PBO. It changes the clock/volt/frequency tables of PB/PBO.