• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

replacement thermal pads/paste for laptop vrms?

wickit

For paste MX4 feels runny

For VRMs would there be any noticeable performance difference between pads rated at 6,8,12,13 wm/k?

Do we have any idea of the rating of OEM thermal pads?

I'm looking at these, never worked with any of these
Artic Pads (6wmk) $10
Grizzly Minus 8 (8 wmk) $15
Gelid Extreme (12wmk) $13
Thermalright Odyssey. (12.8wmk) $12 --- is this a real brand?

Advice please. Aside from the rating how are these different?

Last edited:
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
For TIM I suggest Thermalright TF-X, this TIM has very high viscosity, impossible to spread (so just put 5 grains of it on the die) but the thermal result is highly consistent.
For pads anything is fine, just make sure that the contact on VRAM and VRM are good.

wickit

For TIM I suggest Thermalright TF-X, this TIM has very high viscosity, impossible to spread (so just put 5 grains of it on the die) but the thermal result is highly consistent.
For pads anything is fine, just make sure that the contact on VRAM and VRM are good.
I want something dense enough to bleed like the no defunct OCZ Freeze. But still fairly easy to apply and won't dry out. Since the GPU and CPU heatinks is all one block, getting them to spread while mounting is a challenge.

I think TFX may be too hard? IDK

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
It took only 1 try for me with the TF-X. I put 5 blobs on the GPU die (2070 Super is fairly big at 545mm2) and 1 long blob on the CPU die, use hair dryer to heat the TIM up a little, mount the heatsink, tighten the screws then use the hair dryer for a few minute on top of the heatsink, then tighten the screws just a bit more.

So far my thermal results are very consistent across the CPU cores (<10C difference), GPU thermal is even better than Kryonaut.
If you can get the Kingpin KPx then definitely get that.

wickit

So far my thermal results are very consistent across the CPU cores (<10C difference), GPU thermal is even better than Kryonaut.
If you can get the Kingpin KPx then definitely get that.

ok TFX it is.

Kpx much thermalright tfx ($12 vs $20). I've used it in the past, I don't like it (specially for a laptop).

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
ok TFX it is.

Kpx much thermalright tfx ($12 vs $20). I've used it in the past, I don't like it (specially for a laptop).

Yeah here is my TS screen after 20 minute of gaming (Death Stranding)

ts.png

Maximum Core temp delta is 4C, if I max out the fans my CPU would be in the low 80C and max 70C for GPU, ambient temp 29C.
Highly pleased with the TF-X :D, though another user have had trouble applying this TIM correctly.

wickit

Yeah here is my TS screen after 20 minute of gaming (Death Stranding)...

...Maximum Core temp delta is 4C, if I max out the fans my CPU would be in the low 80C and max 70C for GPU, ambient temp 29C.
Highly pleased with the TF-X :D, though another user have had trouble applying this TIM correctly.
I don't how to read that or why its good. Im a ryzen gut with a locked bios and gpu. My verssion of thrott;e stop is disabling boost clocks

How do you like death stranding? It one of those games I cant bring myself to buy. It looks good but also looks like its 90% hiking simulstor.

Im not trying to squeeze every last bit of performance If I can cut down 6deg the thermal throttle stops, others with the same laptop reported; MX4 drops temps 12-15° any of the top 50 thermal paste will do that. MX2,MX4,CP7,NTH1 all pump out.`KPX and Kryonaut boil in 3months
This is why OCZ was the best, its density was as high as thick pasts, but its viscosity was as low as thin pastes. I bought microcenters last 4 tubes ever (in 2008).But the last tube of my 13 y.o TIM has been opened 4 years ago. No longer trustable. ...that's what my next thread will be.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I don't how to read that or why its good. Im a ryzen gut with a locked bios and gpu. My verssion of thrott;e stop is disabling boost clocks

How do you like death stranding? It one of those games I cant bring myself to buy. It looks good but also looks like its 90% hiking simulstor.

Im not trying to squeeze every last bit of performance If I can cut down 6deg the thermal throttle stops, others with the same laptop reported; MX4 drops temps 12-15° any of the top 50 thermal paste will do that. MX2,MX4,CP7,NTH1 all pump out.`KPX and Kryonaut boil in 3months
This is why OCZ was the best, its density was as high as thick pasts, but its viscosity was as low as thin pastes. I bought microcenters last 4 tubes ever (in 2008).But the last tube of my 13 y.o TIM has been opened 4 years ago. No longer trustable. ...that's what my next thread will be.

Yeah I have been using the TF-X for more than 3 months already and the result remain fantastic, no evidence of pumping out at all.

The first thing you will see when TIM pumping out is the that delta temp between cores are huge, something like 20C difference. Here my delta temp between hottest core and coolest core is 4C, which is fantastic.

I have had experienced Kryonaut pumping out first hand too, it looks like 1 core just decide to peak to 95C for some reason while the rest stay in the 70C.

Death stranding is a very odd game, I'm just using it to experiment with my laptop, not really playing it for real :p

wickit

The first thing you will see when TIM pumping out is the that delta temp between cores are huge, something like 20C difference. Here my delta temp between hottest core and coolest core is 4C, which is fantastic.

I have had experienced Kryonaut pumping out first hand too, it looks like 1 core just decide to peak to 95C for some reason while the rest stay in the 70C....

This is an MSI Ryzen laptop, there's no way to see per core temperature

...or undervolt the cpu, or under volt the gpu, or adjust gpu: clock speed/power limit/temp limit/ on the gpu, I can't even turn off CPPC to see if one core down clocks

Screenshot 3434.png

As it is, I have to disable boost to use the GPU ...doesn't effect fps while gaming, but disabling the gpu or boost both cripple video rendering.

wickit

And the seller sent me gelid thermal pads (what I ordered) gelid gc extreme thermal paste instead of TFX for some reason but I can keep it and the money back, so, serendipity I guess.

By the numbers... for years and years, 2 TIMs topped the charts tied for the top thermal performance.

1. AS5 was about $9 and had two warnings on their site:

a) 200 hours of "thermal cycling"
b) It is electrically capacative and , as stated on their site, could cause problems if it bridged 29 contacts.

2. Shin Etsu G751 was < $4 .. only issue here is

a) Vendors are now charging the same $8 for Shin Etsu for everybody else's

In later years, Thermal Grizzly came along and knicked everybpody else down a noitch or two.... originally they were $15 abut now, again same $8 as everyone else. Hard to argue against it as long as you avoid that bad batch that got thru QC.

Shin Etsi G751 i found was creat fr COus but when spreading over may occasions .... like 25 on some GFX cards, I found it lost its workability over time. We switched to Gelid Extreme ason the recommendation of EK Water blocks and found it worked well, The nice little application tool came in real handy on VRMs. If ya like thick IC Giamond actually requires you put it in warm water for a while before using ... at rum temps, it starts to lose its workability.

Of course, TIM is only a small part of gaming temps... laptop cooler designs are gernlly crap and peeps prefer light and skinny of cool. I was gaming last night on one of our custom build lappies custom lappies and temps GPU never broke 54C ... the heat sink is a huge copper thing ... huge and copper being things not often found in laptop cooler designs. This lappies weighs over 6 pounds. I ran Furmark on it the day it arrived... topped out at 69C. Im anxious to test one of these:

As for whats the difference, its like GFX cards ... the x80 is better than thr x70 which is better than the x60. The OEM ones probably have a thermal transfer rate of 1.5. Some sites seel OEM replacements such as for EK Water Blocks ... the one below is ashesive type specifically cut for ATI and laptop solutions

"The ATI 35mm x 15mm x 1.0 Original Thermal Adhesive Tape - 8 Pack can be used for most thermal applications. These pads can be used for 1.0mm laptop applications as well as VGA coolers and the like! Sold as an eight pack, these are easy to customize and cut with standard scissors to fit your needs. Easy peel end makes application easy. "

Common thermal Conductivity rates are:

1.5 W/mK
3.0 W/mK
5.0 W/mK
6.0 W/mK
7.0 W/mK
8.0 W/mK
11.0 W/mK
17.0 W/mK

On VRMS we like to use the Fujipoly (in bold) pads (dimensions in mm) :

A 1/4 Sheet (150 x 100 x 1.0 thick) ) pad will run you $16.99 at 6.0 W/mK
A 1/4 Sheet (150 x 100 x 1.0 thick) ) pad will run you $34.99 at 11.0 W/mK
A 1/4 Sheet (150 x 100 x 1.0 thick) ) pad will run you $89.99 at 17.0 W/mK

wickit

Wrapping up this post. None of the thermal pads broke removing the heatsink, so I left them alone for now. There was much more thermal paste around the cpu and gpu than on it, that took a long bit of cleaning. My cpu got an 12° drop average temperature, more importantly the max temp sits bellow 100°.
On blender the average clock speed across 8 cores went from 3200 to 3500.

My gpu temps only dropped 3° (hotspot went up 1°, which makes me think itll be good to replace all the thermal pads, they were all pretty squished)