• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD going insane?

RealPerson15

I posted previously about my PC shutting itself down for no reason but that stopped happening and I'm grateful for the help. Now my PC has been acting strange again: it stayed on after I turned it off, with all the lights and fans in the PC on but no signal on the screen. I tried deactivating fast boot to fix that, but I don't know if that worked because Zi haven't had the chance to turn it off properly. First I tried rebooting, and it got stuck on the blue reboot screen. Then my desktop sort of crashed when I tried to right click on a file, and again I turned off the PC by holding the power button. Then I tried to open my HHD (the os is on an SSD but I also have an almost empty HHD for storage) and it didn't open, the "your pc" window stopped responding. Turned off the PC again from the power button. Also, my recycle bin is not opening. I can delete files, but can't access the bin. No response whatsoever when I click it. What the hell is going on?

Edit: I mean HDD not HHD. Also, I forgot to mention everything on the pc works absolutely fine except when it doesn't.

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
Sounds like a corrupted OS to me. Might have to do a clean reinstall Windows.

RealPerson15

Ok, I'll try that. Also my recycle bin just opened after 15 minutes of clicking on it and it crashed

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
Ok, I'll try that. Also my recycle bin just opened after 15 minutes of clicking on it and it crashed
I think you should wait for a while & get a 2nd opinion on what other more professional technician have to say before you reinstall though.

RealPerson15

Ok, I'm not planning on reinstalling right now, just using a Windows reset tool I got sent. It should reset windows without having to delete any files. (not a virus I found on the internet don't worry)

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok, I'm not planning on reinstalling right now, just using a Windows reset tool I got sent. It should reset windows without having to delete any files. (not a virus I found on the internet don't worry)
You don't need a tool for that if you're running Windows 10 it has the ability built in

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Could be a loose cable connection? Vibrations of the boot causing it to come "disconnected"....worth a try swapping cables to see before rewriting.

1. Reset all BIOS settingts to default; examine BIOS for all connected storage devices.

2. Run the usual Windows checks like chkdsk and sfc / scannow

3. Try an Windows repair.

RealPerson15

Alright here's a little update. I hadn't read the comment about resetting the BIOS. I tried windows repair and it did nothing at all, so I decided to format everything. But when I booted the windows install thingy from the USB, it wasn't loading. So I thought, oh well maybe it wasn't the OS' fault. I had to turn off the PC by pressing the power button, not much choice there.
Now I tried turning my pc on and I can't even get to the first screen where it shows what motherboard you're using. Also my computer is doing three beeps, the first one long and the following two shorter. This is a new low for me.

edit: not doing the three beeps anymore. Turns out there were a lot of extra partitions on the computer for some reason. I'll keep you updated

edit 2: computer now fades to black when booting normally, it does so while windows shows your username and it's supposed to be loading. Pressing ctrl alt canc and trying to boot up task manager goes back to the black screen.
Also, about examining the BIOS for connected storage devices: I'm not exactly sure how to do that, but I can view the "boot devices": the HDD is not showing up here. Neither is the USB I'm using to (try to) install windows. But when I go to "boot menu" instead of "setup" I can see them, and that's how I tried to run the windows installer.

Also I guess this isn't really related to "memory" anymore. It's more like total organ failure.

Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
first is check the cables, sometimes cables can get loose a little
2nd reset your bios, just pull the battery and make some coffe then plug it back
3rd clean the memory slot/ ram contact area, sometimes weird things happened from the ram

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
In my experience, Windows repair is useless, restore points often aren't found and Windows reset takes ten times longer than a clean install. None of which are worth it over a simple clean install, which should take no longer than ten minutes on an SSD.
On the other hand, if you have a spare drive, disconnect the SSD you mentioned and try a clean install on the spare. That way, you can eliminate the SSD as the cause, or not.
Are you using Media Creation Tool to prepare the pendrive?

RealPerson15

Yes, im using media creation tool. I also used it to install windows initially and it worked just fine. I'll try the solutions you proposed

I should add that it's more likely that there's something wrong with the HDD. It doesn't show up on the boot devices and the PC would freeze when I tried to open it. It was also showing like eight or nine partitions for some reason. But again, I'll see what happens

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
could be from the HDD itself, just try swapping the cable or the sata port
and try to turn on without the HDD, if you can turn on only on SSD and it's good, your HDD is going bad

RealPerson15

Big update: I unplugged the HDD and it works just fine now, like nothing ever happened. I only unplugged two thingies that were attached to the HDD, I didn't change anything else.

I'm just going to pretend that this makes perfect sense. I'll be doing further tests to see if my HDD works. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Rei
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Big update: I unplugged the HDD and it works just fine now, like nothing ever happened. I only unplugged two thingies that were attached to the HDD, I didn't change anything else.

I'm just going to pretend that this makes perfect sense. I'll be doing further tests to see if my HDD works. Thanks for the help.
Some HDDs can exhibit quirks after a while. I had one in my Sister's build and could not understand why her PSU died. I ordered a new one and was surprised to see the same thing happen (Thanks Amazon returns). Thankfully I did see a little spark coming from the HDD when I tried to power the 2nd PSU so I was able to determine that the SATA cord had been compromised and caused the short. Unfortunately the HDD is now dead.

Reactions: Rei