• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3080 coil whine asus vs. Evga?

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
So now that a few lucky people have been able to get these card and play with them for a few weeks.

How does these cards suffer from coil Whine, what are people's experiences with that.

I have only read/watch reviews of asus tuf/strix and evga FTW 3 ultra card as these has the option for that 450 watt tgp bios. I do overclock and benchmark, so not being power limit while not breaking warranty is important to me. But I have come to realize asus cards even throw it seems to have a bullet prof desing, suffering from coil whine in a few reviews it has been mentioned and I just can't stand coil whine.

So now I ask owners of rtx 3080 that has asus tuf/strix and evga FTW 3 cards. What are your personal experiences with coil whine on these models?

People's answers will be a great help to deside my final choice of card. Mostly I like asus best for board design and the over engineer coling design. But it also seems asus card can suffer from coil whine.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Autocorrect tore your post up..oof!

Anyway, nothing here on my 3080 strix.

That said, just because one has it, or doesn't, doesn't mean others will have it, or not. So even if you figure card A has the least chance, yours might still do it. OTOH, you may get one from the others that doesn't.

Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Autocorrect tore your post up..oof!

Anyway, nothing here on my 3080 strix.

That said, just because one has it, or doesn't, doesn't mean others will have it, or not. So even if you figure card A has the least chance, yours might still do it. OTOH, you may get one from the others that doesn't.

Yeah English is no my main language.

Good to know about strix.

You are right about that no cards are the same. Even in the same models. Just as there different gpu quality on how high they can clock to, there will also be different factors on coil whine. But by getting other owners opinions, that can hopefully minimize the chance of getting a "bad" card. I can't stand coil whine. It's a horrible sound and as I try to make my next pc as silent as possible. Coil whine will just be even more noticeable when the rest of the pc is silent.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock

cancel077

I have the TUF OC version. At first the coil whine was very noticeable. I could hear it buzz through the case. After a few days of use (gaming + benchmarking) the coil whine subsided and I can no longer hear it with the case closed. There is still a very slight whine but I can only hear it if I put my ear next to a case opening. The coil whine only happens under load of course.

Comparing to my EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, the coil whine is now less of that card.

I am using RM850x for my power supply.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
normally only in very high frames per second scenarios.
good test is 3dmark2001 because of 999 fps on newer cards.

I have the TUF OC version. At first the coil whine was very noticeable. I could hear it buzz through the case. After a few days of use (gaming + benchmarking) the coil whine subsided and I can no longer hear it with the case closed. There is still a very slight whine but I can only hear it if I put my ear next to a case opening. The coil whine only happens under load of course.

Thanks that's good to know.

normally only in very high frames per second scenarios.
good test is 3dmark2001 because of 999 fps on newer cards.

Yeah many cards coil whine when there is high fps being made. That can example happen under load screen in games that is not fps limit while loading.

Bit here i specifically ask under normal fps like 60 to 200 fps range. Not 1000 fps+

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
According to my experience coil whine could be related to the PSU.
My Gigabyte 2070 Super was giving coil whine with my previous Corsair CV650. Not very strong but still noticeable at high loads like gaming.
I recently upgraded to an EVGA Supernova G3 750W in order to be ready for a 3080/6800XT in the next few months and the coil whine completely disappeared.

cancel077

According to my experience coil whine could be related to the PSU.
My Gigabyte 2070 Super was giving coil whine with my previous Corsair CV650. Not very strong but still noticeable at high loads like gaming.
I recently upgraded to an EVGA Supernova G3 750W in order to be ready for a 3080/6800XT in the next few months and the coil whine completely disappeared.

Yes and no of course. Sometimes it can be the psu, sometimes it can be the gpu or both.

In my case I'm using an corsair RM850x, which is far from cheap and is a good PSU. I don't think I should spend more money on a more expensive PSU where mine is a good unit. Also for my case, the coil whine did subside so it was definitely a GPU issue. But the real question is, if I do use a different PSU would I completely remove the whine? That I will never know since im not spending extra money just to to find out lol

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
Yes and no of course. Sometimes it can be the psu, sometimes it can be the gpu or both.

In my case I'm using an corsair RM850x, which is far from cheap and is a good PSU. I don't think I should spend more money on a more expensive PSU where mine is a good unit. Also for my case, the coil whine did subside so it was definitely a GPU issue. But the real question is, if I do use a different PSU would I completely remove the whine? That I will never know since im not spending extra money just to to find out lol
Yep. You cannot say until you try it. The RM850X is a good PSU, on the same level of my G3, so it hardly is the issue

Rbk_3

Just got my Tuf and I have the same PSU. It has pretty bad coil whine. Was yours similar to this? COD is locked to 140fps in the menu but sounds the same in game locked to same framerate so I am not at some crazy high framerates.

D

Deleted member 193596

my 3080 has insane coilwhine with a EVGA GQ 750W Gold
and zero coilwhine with an actually good PSU (Dark Power Pro 11 Platinum)

Corsair PSUs are all crap except the AX (i) series.

Rbk_3

my 3080 has insane coilwhine with a EVGA GQ 750W Gold
and zero coilwhine with an actually good PSU (Dark Power Pro 11 Platinum)

Corsair PSUs are all crap except the AX (i) series.

I would love to see you back that claim up. The RMx 850 is one of the higher rated PSUs and is in the A tier. Anyway definitely wasn't my PSU. I was able to get an MSI Trio X and no coil whine whatsoever.

cancel077

Just got my Tuf and I have the same PSU. It has pretty bad coil whine. Was yours similar to this? COD is locked to 140fps in the menu but sounds the same in game locked to same framerate so I am not at some crazy high framerates.

Mine was/is similar to yours yeah. I just saw your latest post saying you changed it so I guess it doesn't matter. Sorry for not replying earlier.

I can load cod warzone, lock it at 144 and record you the sound if you still wish. Recording sound vs what you actually hear in real life might be different though. I still have it but again with my case closed it's not that noticeable. Similar to my old evga gtx 1070 FTW (and I had a different PSU). At times during very high loads, it does get loud but it really depends on the type of load which is weird (mostly stressing) . Normal gaming it's fine.

I would love to see you back that claim up. The RMx 850 is one of the higher rated PSUs and is in the A tier. Anyway definitely wasn't my PSU. I was able to get an MSI Trio X and no coil whine whatsoever.

How do you find the msi performing compared to the TUF? Power limit still exists? Still hard to OC because of the power limit? Temperature is warmer as the benchmarks? It's not like there is a point of OCing these cards anyway for a 1-3% gain but still wondering (unless you didn't bother).

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Mine was/is similar to yours yeah. I just saw your latest post saying you changed it so I guess it doesn't matter. Sorry for not replying earlier.

I can load cod warzone, lock it at 144 and record you the sound if you still wish. Recording sound vs what you actually hear in real life might be different though. I still have it but again with my case closed it's not that noticeable. Similar to my old evga gtx 1070 FTW (and I had a different PSU). At times during very high loads, it does get loud but it really depends on the type of load which is weird (mostly stressing) . Normal gaming it's fine.

How do you find the msi performing compared to the TUF? Power limit still exists? Still hard to OC because of the power limit? Temperature is warmer as the benchmarks? It's not like there is a point of OCing these cards anyway for a 1-3% gain but still wondering (unless you didn't bother).

I flashed the low temp bios which puts it on par with the Tuf for temp noise levels. They basically have the exact same noise normalized cooling. Power limit is actually lower on the MSI, it only goes to 102 vs 110 on the TUF.

I can't find an apples to apples comparison but here is my 2 best time spy scores. Interestingly the TUF out clocks it by about 50 but the scores are basically the same. Those were just me messing around with custom voltages and clocks. Could do a lot more tinkering.

I had tried to run a stock bench of Port Royal on both last night but something messed up and I must not have fully reset the settings because those are not stock clocks and memory speeds on the TUF. That was the first test I ran after putting the TUF back in and I thought afterburner reset everything but looks like it didn't.

I do think the TUF has the potential to perform better when I get it dialled in. I did a custom curve of .95V 2010MHZ and it passed time spy but the same thing on the Trio X didn't get through the bench. It got through on .975V and 1995MHZ

Last edited:

cancel077

I flashed the low temp bios which puts it on par with the Tuf for temp noise levels. They basically have the exact same noise normalized cooling. Power limit is actually lower on the MSI, it only goes to 102 vs 110 on the TUF.

I can't find an apples to apples comparison but here is my 2 best time spy scores. Interestingly the TUF out clocks it by about 50 but the scores are basically the same. Those were just me messing around with custom voltages and clocks. Could do a lot more tinkering.

I had tried to run a stock bench of Port Royal on both last night but something messed up and I must not have fully reset the settings because those are not stock clocks and memory speeds on the TUF. That was the first test I ran after putting the TUF back in and I thought afterburner reset everything but looks like it didn't.

I do think the TUF has the potential to perform better when I get it dialled in. I did a custom curve of .95V 2010MHZ and it passed time spy but the same thing on the Trio X didn't get through the bench. It got through on .975V and 1995MHZ

Interesting.. I'm surprised the trio x has lower power limit especially since it's a 3x8 pin. But I guess msi didn't provide a bios update to 450W like evga. I'm sure they will in the future, and you'll easily able to OC it.

At the end, they all perform similarly. Unless you watercool it, there's almost no point in OCing in my opinion.

My TUF when it doesn't reach the power limit is usually at around 1980 mhz stock, gets to 2025mhz (whether in stock core clock or OC mode, it doesn't really make a difference). When it hits power limit, it drops to low 1900s.

This coil whine although seem to be a common issue with Asus, is also common with many other cards including the trio x, according to lots of posts on reddit and other forums I have seen. Seems like you lucked out .

Rbk_3

Interesting.. I'm surprised the trio x has lower power limit especially since it's a 3x8 pin. But I guess msi didn't provide a bios update to 450W like evga. I'm sure they will in the future, and you'll easily able to OC it.

At the end, they all perform similarly. Unless you watercool it, there's almost no point in OCing in my opinion.

My TUF when it doesn't reach the power limit is usually at around 1980 mhz stock, gets to 2025mhz (whether in stock core clock or OC mode, it doesn't really make a difference). When it hits power limit, it drops to low 1900s.

This coil whine although seen to be a common issue with Asus, is also common with many other cards including the trio x, according to lots of posts on reddit and other forums I have seen. Seems like you lucked out .
You able to do a stock Time Spy ? I just want to compare to mine.

This wouldn't be stock, correct?

Clock frequency 2,070 MHz (1,440 MHz)
Average clock frequency 1,965 MHz

cancel077

You able to do a stock Time Spy ? I just want to compare to mine.

Yeah I'll do it when I'm on the PC tonight or later on the day, I'll post it for you! I'm on a ryzen 5 3600 though, I find my overall scores usually lower. Not sure if it bottlenecks the performance or not, or if people just overclock their GPUs purely for test scores.

Rbk_3

Yeah I'll do it when I'm on the PC tonight or later on the day, I'll post it for you! I'm on a ryzen 5 3600 though, I find my overall scores usually lower. Not sure if it bottlenecks the performance or not, or if people just overclock their GPUs purely for test scores.

Mainly want to look at the Graphics score not the total score. I really am just interested in seeing what your clocks do.

cancel077

Mainly want to look at the Graphics score not the total score. I really am just interested in seeing what your clocks do.

No problem! I'll send you the link later today whenever I get on for sure!

Actually here are 2 tests I have done within the last month. I don't remember the settings on this. I think one is overclocked by +50 mhz and /or I still have gsync on for one (which can reduce results). But scores are similar nonetheless.

For your core frequency of 2070mhz. I'm not sure if that's what your card is set to or just the highest it reached, but if it's what it is set to, I don't think that's "stock". It may have been overclocked. Your average clock speed is also way higher. I wonder if it's a cpu factor or not.

My friend had a ventus 3x and his scores are similar to mine and he had a ryzen 7 3700x.

I'm going to retry the tests again next year when I upgrade to the Ryzen 5000 series.

Last edited: