• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Request Original Stock MSI RX 580 Gaming X 4GB BIOS

Hi, I just brought a second hand GPU MSI RX 580 gaming X 4GB from ebay, but the card crashes everytime I launch a 3D app on it, probably it could be a mining gpu with Modded Bios, the problem the specific bios is nowhere to be found (the one on TPU doesn't work either), I contacted MSI support but they refused to deliver STOCK BIOS (in fact MSI no longer deliver VBIOS for its GPUs as a new internal policy, pretty shame), so if someone has the same card, please send me a backup of the STOCK VBIOS, thanks in advance.

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6700XT Power Color Fighter 12gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
So if you already flash this bios and card acting the same maybe your GPU have some hardware malfunction......try underclocking the card memory and clock and see if that helps...gl

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I contacted MSI support but they refused to deliver STOCK BIOS (in fact MSI no longer deliver VBIOS for its GPUs as a new internal policy, pretty shame), so if someone has the same card, please send me a backup of the STOCK VBIOS, thanks in advance.

Wow what? Damn, if that's a company policy now then my next card will not be MSI...

PS - If all else fails, you could possibly edit the bios yourself. Find out who manufactures your vram, and look at the 8gb model's bios and copy the correct timings.

So if you already flash this bios and card acting the same maybe your GPU have some hardware malfunction......try underclocking the card memory and clock and see if that helps...gl

I already flashed this bios, I tried to tweak voltages and underclocking the card but the problem still the same, the card works fine in Desktop but when I launch any 3D app, it crashes, I used DDU to uninstall and re install drivers, I cleaned the registry, I even tried with Ubuntu it crashes when I launch WEBGL benchmark on firefox, the card seems in realy good condition with no rust , dust or whatever pretty as new, there is a seal on the screw so never opened, I doubt it was used for extensively for mining but we never know.

Something about the bios in TPU seems fishy since it's marked as not verified by TPU, I wondering if I could flash it with a Gigabyte Bios with the same specs and same memory (Elpida) but is a risky move

Wow what? Damn, if that's a company policy now then my next card will not be MSI...

PS - If all else fails, you could possibly edit the bios yourself. Find out who manufactures your vram, and look at the 8gb model's bios and copy the correct timings.

Sure pretty shame for MSI to go down this restrictive road, it's one of my favorite AIB but without adequate support, it's not worth it, Gigabyte for example still offering all VBIOS for download via their official website.

the problem is the 8GB model uses Samsung/hynix ram while the 4GB one uses Elpida's

Last edited:
Processor 5800x3d
Cooling Thermalright
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Keyboard EVGA Z15
There's a good chance that the bios has been messed with.

You know who made the ram, what you can do is look at the msi gaming x 8gb bios and copy the elpida timings. Or you can try copying the elpida timings from a different model (like the gigabyte) instead flashing a different bios. If going that route, just examine the timing and make sure they at least look the same... maybe you can post your current bios so people can see if its been modded?

edit: All 8gb used samsung/hynix? There maybe a elpida profile in their bios. Also if i'm not mistaken didn't the ARMOR models use the same PCB as gaming x? If so you can take a look at their bios maybe take the timings from the 4gb armor model

There's a good chance that the bios has been messed with.

You know who made the ram, what you can do is look at the msi gaming x 8gb bios and copy the elpida timings. Or you can try copying the elpida timings from a different model (like the gigabyte) instead flashing a different bios.

thanks, seems as a very reasonable solution, I'm gonna try it

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6700XT Power Color Fighter 12gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
I already flashed this bios, I tried to tweak voltages and underclocking the card but the problem still the same, the card works fine in Desktop but when I launch any 3D app, it crashes, I used DDU to uninstall and re install drivers, I cleaned the registry, I even tried with Ubuntu it crashes when I launch WEBGL benchmark on firefox, the card seems in realy good condition with no rust , dust or whatever pretty as new, there is a seal on the screw so never opened, I doubt it was used for extensively for mining but we never know.

Something about the bios in TPU seems fishy since it's marked as not verified by TPU, I wondering if I could flash it with a Gigabyte Bios with the same specs and same memory (Elpida) but is a risky move
Well...if you know what you doing sure you can try and force the bios flash from any other RX 580(4gb) but I doubt that will help and there is a possibility that you can brick that card or loose some of the display ports....why don't you just contact the owner and return that card instead?

Processor 5800x3d
Cooling Thermalright
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Well...if you know what you doing sure you can try and force the bios flash from any other RX 580(4gb) but I doubt that will help and there is a possibility that you can brick that card or loose some of the display ports....why don't you just contact the owner and return that card instead?

I doubt he will return the money if he sold the card knowing it was bios modded.

after I compared the Bios timings and Frequencies with other same specs cards from other vendors, the Bios on TPU seems pretty legit, I modified the Bios raised fan RPM and Power limit but in vain, I also tried to add Registry TdrDelay Key with 10 value, it worked for some users with the same problem but it didn't work for me, I used another windows 10 installation but the problem persist, really right now I'm more inclined toward a software issue with adrenalin drivers.

Processor 5800x3d
Cooling Thermalright
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Don't get your hopes up that this is a software issue. Compared to Navi, polaris is as stable as they come when it comes to drivers.

Did you see evidence that the bios that came with the card was modded? If so, at this point, you just can not rule out hardware failure. If it just crashes in games... seems like a significant amount of degradation has occured, i'm sorry.