• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless Adapter Connects and Disconnects Repeatedly

TechnicGeek

I have an old HP Pavilion dv5000 series laptop with its native Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter. When trying to connect to any wireless access point it takes longer time to connect and when it connects, it stays connected for short time before it loses connection. It tries to reconnect, connects and disconnects. It happens repeatedly. See my video:

When it disconnects its wireless connection indicator turns off and after it turns on again it tries to reconnect. This laptop has Windows XP with latest service pack and latest wireless adapter drivers.

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
Do you have Bluetooth on or near a microwave? Those give constant connection drops.

System Name ASUS ROG STRIX G15
Processor i7-10750H @ 5 GHZ
Motherboard ASUS
Cooling 2 Fans and 7 Heat pipes
Memory 16GB 3200 MHZ Dual channel
Video Card(s) RTX 2060 Mobile
Storage 512 GB Intel 660p SDD
Display(s) 15" 144 HZ 1080p
Power Supply 230 watt charger
Mouse Standard With RGB
Keyboard Standard With RGB
Software Hwinfo
Benchmark Scores Too much for you to handle
First things first.
Upgrade your windows to windows 7 or 10.
Try uninstalling your drivers and then reinstalling them

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
First things first.
Upgrade your windows to windows 7 or 10.
Try uninstalling your drivers and then reinstalling them
There is a reason OP chose to keep WinXP, one of them likely cuz laptop is not powerful enough, even though I dunno it's spec. All my laptop/nettop runs on WinXP while this desktop I'm on dual-boot Win10 & WinXP.
Let not go down the road of needing to upgrade OS just yet for connection drops & take things slower & finding simpler solutions first.

TechnicGeek

Do you have Bluetooth on or near a microwave? Those give constant connection drops.

I do not have Bluetooth activated and microwave I have but it's 8 meters away in the kitchen. I have no Wi-Fi problems with other laptops.

I think the problem is hardware-based because that blue indicator of wireless connection should not blink at all. It is constant when W-Fi is on but as soon as it blinks, laptop loses Wi-Fi.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I've seen this all the time with these HP laptops. I guarantee the chipset is on the way out and one day soon you'll try to turn it on and just get a black screen. This problem is a cancer with this era of HP laptops and it always starts with flakey wireless. It's also why I won't buy HP laptops to this day.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I do not have Bluetooth activated and microwave I have but it's 8 meters away in the kitchen. I have no Wi-Fi problems with other laptops.

I think the problem is hardware-based because that blue indicator of wireless connection should not blink at all. It is constant when W-Fi is on but as soon as it blinks, laptop loses Wi-Fi.
If it's hardware-based, you could try using a USB WiFi adaptor dongle to make sure & find out if the issue lies with the laptop itself or the built-in WiFi adapter. They should be cheap, mine cost $8. You could also use it as a backup WiFi adapter. You might also want to invest in WiFi range extender for clean & stable WiFi connection. This one for me cost $10.

I've seen this all the time with these HP laptops. I guarantee the chipset is on the way out and one day soon you'll try to turn it on and just get a black screen. This problem is a cancer with this era of HP laptops and it always starts with flakey wireless. It's also why I won't buy HP laptops to this day.
If what @newtekie1 says is true, then OP might want to prepare for the worst for that laptop & backup all possible settings & data & hope that expiration day won't come anytime soon.

TechnicGeek

Mine was bought 16 years ago but you sound like this problem still haunts HP laptops these days.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Mine was bought 16 years ago but you sound like this problem still haunts HP laptops these days.

No, they fixed it. I won't buy their laptops because how how they handled the problem. They initially tried to say the problem could be solved by a firmware fix. But all the firmware fix did was crank the fan up to try to keep the chipset cooler. This made the laptops loud and didn't fix the problem, it only prolonged it long enough to get the laptops out of the warranty period. They quietly issues a recall on the laptops that was buried on their website only after losing a lawsuit about the problem. The recall was only offered for a year, then they erased any mention of it from the website. But in 2005-2010 I probably saw 4 or 5 of these laptops come in my shop a week dying or dead from this problem. The problem was caused by the same issue nVidia had at the time with their BGA chips. The heat cycles would cause the solder to begin to fail.

TechnicGeek

@newtekie1 That's interesting. Did not think HP can be that sneaky. They also removed drivers and software for their legacy products.

My laptop still has it's original firmware and I managed to find a few firmware updates on the internet. I wonder if I should take a shot at updating.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

Are those other Laptops newer models?
Remember old Wi-Fi cards had much less range than modern versions.
You could try updating the Wi-Fi card in that laptop for an improved version, the issue then would be finding one with the correct slot.
How far away from the source is it, is there any walls in the way that might interfere with the signal etc?

TechnicGeek

@Caring1 The other two are lenovo G560 from 2010 and Dell Latitude E6420 from 2011-2012.

The laptop in question is 2 meters from wireless router.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny