• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling i5-8259U macbook pro 2018

Pumuckl

Learned about ThrottleStop and really want to help my macbook with cooling, tried lots of different things with no success. Using bootcamp on a macbook pro 2018 https://support.apple.com/kb/SP775?locale=en_US

While gaming I get up to 100 Celsius
FIVR.pngTPL.pngOptions.pngMain.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@Pumuckl The ThrottleStop FIVR window shows at the top, FIVR Control - Locked. That means you cannot change the voltage of your CPU.

Macbook's tend to have second rate cooling. Not much you can do about that.

On the main screen you have checked Speed Shift EPP. This will only work if you first go into the TPL window and enable Speed Shift. Once enabled you should see SST on the main screen. Then you can adjust the EPP value to control your CPU. You can also adjust the Speed Shift Max value if you are interested in slowing down your overheating CPU.

Pumuckl

@Pumuckl The ThrottleStop FIVR window shows at the top, FIVR Control - Locked. That means you cannot change the voltage of your CPU.

Macbook's tend to have second rate cooling. Not much you can do about that.

On the main screen you have checked Speed Shift EPP. This will only work if you first go into the TPL window and enable Speed Shift. Once enabled you should see SST on the main screen. Then you can adjust the EPP value to control your CPU. You can also adjust the Speed Shift Max value if you are interested in slowing down your overheating CPU.

Thank you for your fast response. Added the changes you suggested. Would you say the other settings I have fit well or should I adjust something some more? I took these settings from another forum post that had a similar cpu, but not on mac. Would changing the Speed Shift Max benefit while gaming?

unclewebb

Would you say the other settings I have fit well
What other changes did you make? The voltage changes you made should be reset to zero since they do not work when a CPU is locked.

Would changing the Speed Shift Max benefit while gaming?
If your CPU is running too hot, some users lower the Speed Shift Max value. The Speed Shift Range box will show you what the Minimum and Maximum are for this setting. Reducing Speed Shift Max will slow down the CPU, reduce power consumption and reduces heat. Less performance but less heat. You cannot get maximum performance out of this CPU because of the heat issues. Lowering the CPU multiplier or lowering the turbo power limits is the only way you can control your CPU. Having the long term turbo power limit set to 39W is not going to work. Long term your heatsink cannot dissipate 39W so your CPU will thermal throttle and slow down. The 8259U has a 28W TDP. I am not sure if the heatsink in your Mac can keep this CPU cool at this level. Be prepared to reduce this so your CPU is not constantly overheating and thermal throttling. You will get more consistent performance if your CPU is not constantly bouncing off the thermal throttling temperature (100°C).

Pumuckl

Having the long term turbo power limit set to 39W is not going to work. Long term your heatsink cannot dissipate 39W so your CPU will thermal throttle and slow down. The 8259U has a 28W TDP. I am not sure if the heatsink in your Mac can keep this CPU cool at this level. Be prepared to reduce this so your CPU is not constantly overheating and thermal throttling. You will get more consistent performance if your CPU is not constantly bouncing off the thermal throttling temperature (100°C).
Made those changes, thank you again. Since I've made these changes the average temperature has gone from 90 to 75 so already some positive results. What would you recommend I set the long term power limits too? 28? It doesn't seem like I need to change the Speed Shift Max at all if I can get a consistent temperature with the current changes.

unclewebb

90°C is OK. You want to avoid it constantly hitting 100°C where throttling begins. Throttling has the CPU constantly bouncing back and forth between full speed and 800 MHz. This happens rapidly but still best to avoid this happening at all.

Try running your CPU at the default 28W. This is the rated TDP for your processor. Your laptop should be able to dissipate this much heat without thermal throttling. Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop. When finished gaming, look in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. This will be an accurate record of your CPU performance and temperatures. Looking at this data is the best way to judge if your CPU is operating properly. Attach a log file to your next post or copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and I will have a look at your numbers.

Pumuckl

I believe I just turned on the log, hopefully it works, will play some games right now. To change the CPU back to 28W do I change the value of the Turbo Boost Long Power Max to 28?

unclewebb

To change the CPU back to 28W do I change the value of the Turbo Boost Long Power Max to 28?
Yes.

Put both limits at 28W and do some testing. It looks like that is about all your heatsink can handle. Maybe slightly less. The very similar 8250U comes with a 15W TDP rating. These CPUs run great at increased power limits but only if the heatsink and fan can dissipate the heat.

Pumuckl

There is the log file. Changed the W while playing if there is a sudden change. Also added images of the things I changed. I hope that's what you meant by changing the Wattage. Not sure if you know anything about this but randomly my headset won't get any sound and the only way to fix it is by re-plugging it.
New Main.pngNewTPL.png

Attachments

• 2020-11-28.txt
    69.8 KB · Views: 46

unclewebb

@Pumuckl - Why did you check Disable Turbo? That reduces CPU performance significantly. If you need to reduce the CPU speed to control heat, you are better off reducing the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. A Max setting of 30 will get you 3000 MHz. That might be a better compromise without reducing CPU performance as much. A Max setting of 32 might be OK too.

Not sure what is wrong with your headset. Perhaps the driver you are using has a problem.

Pumuckl

Not sure why I did that honestly. Turned it off now. Also, guessing that my limits are correct now. Will try changing the speed shift max to 30 instead of 255. Will send another log soon. Again, thank you so much for all your support so far, I would not be able to do this without your assistance.

The average temperature has gone up a bit. The max went from 78C earlier to now 95C. My game has also been crashing now, not sure what caused this.

Attachments

• 2020-11-28.txt
    33.8 KB · Views: 45

unclewebb

If your game runs fine at a slower speed then I guess you will have to slow your CPU down. Try a Speed Shift Max value of 28 or go back and Disable Turbo again.

Pumuckl

Reached 100C again sadly, going to try disabling Turbo again to see if that did actually work.
TPL.png

Turned disable turbo on again and it's definitely running a lot better.
New Main.png

Attachments

• 2020-11-28.txt
    125.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2020-11-28.txt
    239.6 KB · Views: 42