• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC KEEPS RANDOMLY RESTARTING I NEED HELP!

Lowbotomized

So my pc keeps restarting everytime I get on a game or I’m on google chrome, I’ve tried changing my psu, I’ve monitored my temps, I’ve tested each ram stick, Ive cleaned my pc, and still does the same thing Idk what else to do.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
List all your system components, and settings used during gaming, hopefully someone can then assist you.

System Name My PC
Processor AMD 2700 x @ 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming
Cooling Zalman CNPS20X
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE
Storage Adata Ultimate SU800
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A
Audio Device(s) Logitech G51
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX, 80+ Gold, 550W
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121
does it restart or bsod?

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
just list the spec first, could be from hardware, heat etc

Reactions: Rei
As others have mentioned: Specs?

My take:
1. Have you tried Optimized Defaults in BIOS or are you currently OC'ing?
2. Try using WhoCrashed to see if the BSOD dump holds any clues as to what caused the fault

Lowbotomized

List all your system components, and settings used during gaming, hopefully someone can then assist you.
As others have mentioned: Specs?

My take:
1. Have you tried Optimized Defaults in BIOS or are you currently OC'ing?
2. Try using WhoCrashed to see if the BSOD dump holds any clues as to what caused the fault
does it restart or bsod?
just list the spec first, could be from hardware, heat etc
I think The problem is my processor overheating, even though my temps look normal up until it restarts, I tried installing a liquid cooler I had laying around to fix it but after I did that my temps were way higher than before so idk what to do, I’m going to try to take it somewhere to get it fixed but my specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
Rtx 2060
Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram 16 GB
B450 Tomahawk

I think The problem is my processor overheating, even though my temps look normal up until it restarts, I tried installing a liquid cooler I had laying around to fix it but after I did that my temps were way higher than before so idk what to do, I’m going to try to take it somewhere to get it fixed but my specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
Rtx 2060
Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram 16 GB
B450 Tomahawk
This might be a voltage problem. Show us some pictures of your bios, specifically the screen that displays CPU voltage settings. Some motherboard makers have been setting the default voltage for Ryzen CPU's a bit too high which results in overheating and instabilities.

Lowbotomized

This might be a voltage problem. Show us some pictures of your bios, specifically the screen that displays CPU voltage settings. Some motherboard makers have been setting the default voltage for Ryzen CPU's a bit too high which results in overheating and instabilities.
This screen ?

Attachments

• F0E9D6B8-C1D2-43DB-BF2E-CC96FCF73491.jpeg
    F0E9D6B8-C1D2-43DB-BF2E-CC96FCF73491.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 347
System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I would update the BIOS and see if that improves voltages and stability.

This screen ?
Yup, that's it and that's the problem. I don't care what the internet says, in my experience Ryzen 3000 series CPUs do not work well with voltage that high.Try setting that voltage down to 1.375v or as close as your bios will let you. You should see an improvement in stability. Chime back in if you have any issues and we'll tweak from there.
EDIT;
@Caring1 is correct, your bios is a bit out of dated but shouldn't be the main problem. It couldn't hurt to update it, but with stability issues you don't want to do so until you can get things stable. The reason for this is that if your system locks up during a BIOS update, your motherboard will be bricked. So let's work on getting things stable first.

When we've done that, go here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
and grab the 7C02v39 update.

Last edited:

Lowbotomized

Yup, that's it and that's the problem. I don't care what the internet says, in my experience Ryzen 3000 series CPUs do not work well with voltage that high.Try setting that voltage down to 1.375v or as close as your bios will let you. You should see an improvement in stability. Chime back in if you have any issues and we'll tweak from there.
EDIT;
@Caring1 is correct, your bios is a bit out of dated but shouldn't be the main problem. It couldn't hurt to update it, but with stability issues you don't want to do so until you can get things stable. The reason for this is that if your system locks up during a BIOS update, your motherboard will be bricked. So let's work on getting things stable first.

When we've done that, go here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
and grab the 7C02v39 update.
I appreciate you guys dearly, I had a feeling it had something to do with the voltage but I couldn’t ever figure out anything to do and I couldn’t find anything on the internet about it being the voltage so I just reverted back to the problem being the cooler, I appreciate you guys, is there anyway you can tell me how to set the Voltage down in a very easy manner ?

I appreciate you guys dearly, I had a feeling it had something to do with the voltage but I couldn’t ever figure out anything to do and I couldn’t find anything on the internet about it being the voltage so I just reverted back to the problem being the cooler, I appreciate you guys, is there anyway you can tell me how to set the Voltage down in a very easy manner ?
In the bios you should be able to find the cpu vcore setting and adjust it down. You'll have to click on the "Advanced" tab up at the top of the screen you took a picture of. Should be easy to find from there.

Lowbotomized

In the bios you should be able to find the cpu vcore setting and adjust it down. You'll have to click on the "Advanced" tab up at the top of the screen you took a picture of. Should be easy to find from there.
After I select override mode then change the number to “1.3750 V” nothing happens to the number above it, it just stays at “1.474 V” i have no clue what I’m doing

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
After I select override mode then change the number to “1.3750 V” nothing happens to the number above it, it just stays at “1.474 V” i have no clue what I’m doing
Different B450 from MSI but similar Bios.
MSI bios_29-copy.jpg

Did you select "Save & Exit" after?

Different B450 from MSI but similar Bios.
View attachment 178337
Did you select "Save & Exit" after?
@Lowbotomized
Using the above screenshot, look down near the bottom. Under the "Voltage Setting" listing you can see "CPU Core Voltage" and then to the right the setting is on "Auto". Click on Auto and change it to "Manual". You should then be able to change the setting down. Then you have to save the changes by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner. The bios should ask if you want to save changes, click yes and the system will reboot. Try it and let us know how it goes.

Lowbotomized

@Lowbotomized
Using the above screenshot, look down near the bottom. Under the "Voltage Setting" listing you can see "CPU Core Voltage" and then to the right the setting is on "Auto". Click on Auto and change it to "Manual". You should then be able to change the setting down. Then you have to save the changes by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner. The bios should ask if you want to save changes, click yes and the system will reboot. Try it and let us know how it goes.
no stability yet, it’s still restarting everytime

This is within windows, and would me using an extension cord play into it?

This is within windows, and would me using an extension cord play into it?
As long as it is a properly grounded cord rated for at least 1500w and you're not running 100ft of it, no.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
A high voltage in the BIOS can also be a result of the Percision boost kicking in. It does it on my Tomahawk with everything on auto be it a update, CLR- CMOS, and defaults loaded.

Lowbotomized

A high voltage in the BIOS can also be a result of the Percision boost kicking in. It does it on my Tomahawk with everything on auto be it a update, CLR- CMOS, and defaults loaded.
Meaning I have to turn precision boost off or what? I don’t really know what your saying

As long as it is a properly grounded cord rated for at least 1500w and you're not running 100ft of it, no.
I’ve changed it again, and it’s still resetting unfortunately

System Name CS Prime
Processor i7-5775C @4ghz eDRAM @ 2ghz
Motherboard Z97 Sabertooth USB 3.1 Mk1
Cooling Corsair H90
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3L @ 2ghz x2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080
Storage 512GB NVMe MyDigitalSSD BPXP, 4TB SATA WD Blue
Display(s) Q900RB
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-X3700H
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 650
Mouse MX Master
Keyboard MX Keys
System Name CS Prime
Processor i7-5775C @4ghz eDRAM @ 2ghz
Motherboard Z97 Sabertooth USB 3.1 Mk1
Cooling Corsair H90
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3L @ 2ghz x2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080
Storage 512GB NVMe MyDigitalSSD BPXP, 4TB SATA WD Blue
Display(s) Q900RB
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-X3700H
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 650
Mouse MX Master
Keyboard MX Keys
Trying loading BIOS defaults, didn't see that above. So when you say shuts down, you mean it freezes? Loses video output and screen turns off? Fans turns off?

Lowbotomized

BIOS defaults? And yea it freezes or whatever, then my screen goes black, and it stays on the black screen the whole time and all my lights on my pc stay on and my fans stay on

Trying loading BIOS defaults, didn't see that above. So when you say shuts down, you mean it freezes? Loses video output and screen turns off? Fans turns off?