• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Sells 3.4 Million PlayStation 5 Units in First Month with 18 Million Target in 2021

Sony has sold 3.4 million PlayStation 5 units in the four weeks following its release, this puts it ahead of the PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch for their first month sales. The Xbox Series X/S from Microsoft is currently estimated to have sold slightly over 2 million units however as with both consoles this is a supply issue and not a demand one. The main reason for Sony's lead in shipments is their early production start meaning they had more units on hand for release. Sony is targeting 16.8 - 18 million PlayStation 5 shipments in 2021 topping the PlayStation 4 and making it the company's most successful launch to date.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I think they would have sold slightly better if there were sufficient stock, especially the next gen consoles got released during the festive season.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Its a bit of a hollow victory tbh because most of the units sold probably ended up in the hands of scalpers rather than being sold directly to people who would immediately unbox it and start gaming on it as soon as they got it home.

There is no way of telling how many more units scalpers have in stock or how many units they will continue to acquire till people find a way to stop it happening or at least cut down the amount that are bought by bots before the average joe can even drop it in his basket.

Its not even a reason to brag about because the console isnt in the hands of your core audience and those that do have it are few and far between or paid well over the odds to have one.

bluetriangleclock

The PS5 is going to easily outsell the Xbox Series X/S simply because PC gamers don't see the point of buying an Xbox Series X/S since they already have a PC. There's too much overlap. Halo is no longer exclusive to the Xbox consoles.

Microsoft will get killed by Sony in the console market and by Valve on the PC. Lol.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
The PS5 is going to easily outsell the Xbox Series X/S simply because PC gamers don't see the point of buying an Xbox Series X/S since they already have a PC. There's too much overlap. Halo is no longer exclusive to the Xbox consoles.

Microsoft will get killed by Sony in the console market and by Valve on the PC. Lol.

The purpose of Xbox now is to allow people who want to play PC games but can't afford to, a comfortable (couch and user interface), and cheap way to experience PC gaming.... In a nut shell. They are more aimed at software than the hardware (but the hardware is good in it) and a Xbox Series s is a great price too. Also with Bethesda being sold to Microsoft, that's a major studio with great IP in their hands.

Sony.... Since they more or less sold off to Sony of America entertainment, I just don't care much for their games so far.

Reactions: Rei
System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
The purpose of Xbox now is to allow people who want to play PC games but can't afford to, a comfortable (couch and user interface), and cheap way to experience PC gaming.... In a nut shell. They are more aimed at software than the hardware (but the hardware is good in it) and a Xbox Series s is a great price too. Also with Bethesda being sold to Microsoft, that's a major studio with great IP in their hands.

Sony.... Since they more or less sold off to Sony of America entertainment, I just don't care much for their games so far.

And there is the other point on the PS's side that it's trying to innovate in small things that has great impact on the feeling of gameplay. The PS controller has evolved hard generation by generation while the XSx's controller is pretty much the same as the XOx's was. I mean, with the PS2 controller came the rumble, with the PS3 controller came the analog triggers, with the PS4 controller we welcomed the touch panel and the PS5's controller brougt the profilable analog triggers and switched the 'rumble' from the two rumble motor to an inverse speaker-core with flying magnets inside stationary coils which can be driven a more subtle.

I miss these thing on the side of Microsoft. The little things that makes you to better feel the games you play. I really hope that now that SONY is committed to bring their exclussive IPs to PC, there might be a chance they bring the support of theres sublte features wit those too. And I also hope Nacon will make a custom wireless PS5/PC controller wit these features but with XBOX layout and extra buttons... :D

Processor Haswell-E - i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS X99S
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Palit Super JetStream 980Ti
Storage SSD: 512GB [Crucial MX100] HDD: 34TB [4 x 6TB WD Blue, 2 x 5TB Seagate External]
Display(s) Acer ProDesigner BM320 4K
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair RM750x

If Microsoft had any sense they'd combine the two. They don't need to be in the console war with SONY, their exclusives and studio's have ensured they've won that ever since the PS3, even with the bad launches and inferior consoles.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
With 3 million scalped by bots :shadedshu:

Well, scalping is driven by those who bought the scalped ones, so it's hart to blame the "scalpers" for applying capitalism...

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
And there is the other point on the PS's side that it's trying to innovate in small things that has great impact on the feeling of gameplay. The PS controller has evolved hard generation by generation while the XSx's controller is pretty much the same as the XOx's was. I mean, with the PS2 controller came the rumble, with the PS3 controller came the analog triggers, with the PS4 controller we welcomed the touch panel and the PS5's controller brougt the profilable analog triggers and switched the 'rumble' from the two rumble motor to an inverse speaker-core with flying magnets inside stationary coils which can be driven a more subtle.

I miss these thing on the side of Microsoft. The little things that makes you to better feel the games you play. I really hope that now that SONY is committed to bring their exclussive IPs to PC, there might be a chance they bring the support of theres sublte features wit those too. And I also hope Nacon will make a custom wireless PS5/PC controller wit these features but with XBOX layout and extra buttons... :D
It's not like Microsoft didn't tried a thing with the rumble motors in the triggers...but the devs don't seems to care about them, (and even less on PC there's only a few windows store games that are using them).
The issue when each console makers are doing their own thing is that it's also more work for the devs. (Besides exclusive title) IIrc the sixaxis DualShock 3 wasn't used at his full potential outside of a few exclusive games.

I'm looking at the switch and realise that Nintendo is hard carrying the console full potential. When was the last time that a third-party dev tried to do something that isn't vanilla control wise? There's lots of studies showing that using more "natural", more "sensibility" in the interaction with a game enhance the engagement, and the emotional impact, but unless everyone agrees to to dump the classic controller in favor of something closer to a Joy-Con, devs will keep making games meant to be played in a vanilla way :sleep:

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?

You forgot Kinect , and don't forget Sony try to replicate with PS Move and PS Eye but they fail. Nintendo Wii's nunchuck and WiiMote done better than both combined.
The first analog trigger and rumble ( another add on puru-puru pack beside VMU) was in Sega Dreamcast controller, date back 1998.
Sony still hold majority of market because they came from Japan, and Japan had a habit that they don't release game outside their domestic product. Any JRPG fan can relate.

It's not like Microsoft didn't tried a thing with the rumble motors in the triggers...but the devs don't seems to care about them, (and even less on PC there's only a few windows store games that are using them).
The issue when each console makers are doing their own thing is that it's also more work for the devs. (Besides exclusive title) IIrc the sixaxis DualShock 3 wasn't used at his full potential outside of a few exclusive games.

I'm looking at the switch and realise that Nintendo is hard carrying the console full potential. When was the last time that a third-party dev tried to do something that isn't vanilla control wise? There's lots of studies showing that using more "natural", more "sensibility" in the interaction with a game enhance the engagement, and the emotional impact, but unless everyone agrees to to dump the classic controller in favor of something closer to a Joy-Con, devs will keep making games meant to be played in a vanilla way :sleep:

Switch may had potential, in their recent launch Mario Kart live they demonstrated their capability, make an AR hybrid game. Really looked fun and engaging. Maybe Nintendo take a different approach from both console giant. I'm almost tempted to try, but the price too sting for my wallet :p

I had owned a playstation cafe, ps3 times. Have to say, playstation had best controllers, but those controllers broke a lot. I probably spent a small fortune on replacing them and or paying a guy to fix it.

System Name Xbox Series S
Processor AMD Zen2 8 core 3.6 GHz
Memory 10GB GDDR6
Video Card(s) RDNA2 with 20 CUs
Storage 512Gb SSD NVMe Internal + 8TB WD Black USB External
Display(s) Acer VG270U P 2k
rootkits anit my thing, man.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro

I use Xbox 360 on my PC and I can't ask more from a controller to be honest. When I want more immersion I put on my VR headset and together with the FFB from the buttkicker and the steering wheel makes for a very nice immersed experience.
I think/hope that VR is the future but there will be always room for your typical TV/Monitor gaming experience. Alyx is AWESOME in VR but there are 3rd person action games that I would rather play on TV with the xbox controller in my hand like Tomb Raider series or sports game like PES.

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
Sold where ??? I can't find one in any store...

System Name Little Girl
Processor Intel Q9650 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte x48 DQ6
Cooling liquid cooling
Memory 4gb (2x2) OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD6950 unlock to Asus 6970 specs
Storage Crucial CT128M225 128gb SSD
Display(s) Acer 27" LCD @ 2048x1152
Case DIY (spit & glue, ducktape, cardboard)
Audio Device(s) On-board HD Audio
Power Supply ABS Tagan 850w
Software Win7 64bit
Yea they did sell... To Scalper!

ixi

If Microsoft had any sense they'd combine the two. They don't need to be in the console war with SONY, their exclusives and studio's have ensured they've won that ever since the PS3, even with the bad launches and inferior consoles.
They won, how?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Oh yeah, a new console launched.

Nearly forgot about it

System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
Not missing much, first year is always slow and short on games on new consoles.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
The first analog trigger and rumble ( another add on puru-puru pack beside VMU) was in Sega Dreamcast controller, date back 1998.
Sony still hold majority of market because they came from Japan, and Japan had a habit that they don't release game outside their domestic product. Any JRPG fan can relate.

I believe those features first appeared on the PSX and N64 and those belonged to the generation of consoles preceding the Dreamcast.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Wake me when I can buy a PS5 online easily at MSRP from reputable dealers.

Until then this is all academic to most of us.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I had owned a playstation cafe, ps3 times. Have to say, playstation had best controllers, but those controllers broke a lot. I probably spent a small fortune on replacing them and or paying a guy to fix it.
F me you don't want to know about Atari controllers!!

• Haha