• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" Processor Detailed Some More

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel at a January 11, 2021 online media event (which we live-blogged here) revealed more information about its 11th Generation Core "Rocket Lake-S" desktop processor family. These chips succeed the 10th Gen Core "Comet Lake-S," and are built on the same Socket LGA1200 package, retaining backwards compatibility with Intel 400-series chipset motherboards with firmware updates; and native support with the upcoming Intel 500-series chipset motherboards. Intel in its media event confirmed that the top Core i9-11900K is an 8-core/16-thread processor, which will deliver the highest PC gaming performance possible when it comes out.

In its media event, Intel revealed a side-by-side comparison of the i9-11900K with a machine powered by the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core processor, where it's shown offering a mostly mid-single-digit-percentage performance lead over the AMD chip. In the "Metro Exodus" benchmark prominently highlighted in the Intel event, the i9-11900K is shown offering an average frame-rate of 156.54 FPS compared to 147.43 FPS of the 5900X (a 6.17% gain). VideoCardz tweeted a leaked Intel presentation slide with many more game test results where Intel compared the two chips. Intel's play with marketing "Rocket Lake-S" to gamers and PC enthusiasts will hence ride on the back of gaming performance leadership, and future-proofing against the new wave of productivity apps that leverage AI deep-learning, as "Rocket Lake-S" features DLBoost VNNI extensions that accelerate deep-learning neural-net building, training, and AI inference performance.

Intel's presentation also revealed the first die-shot of the "Rocket Lake-S" silicon, which reveals that it physically only features 8 CPU cores. The die appears visibly wide than that of an 8-core or 10-core "Comet Lake" or "Coffee Lake Refresh" dies; and slightly longer than the 8-core "Coffee Lake Refresh," which probably explains why Intel capped out at 8 cores with the LGA1200 package. The "Cypress Cove" CPU cores are visibly larger than "Skylake", bearing in mind that the "Rocket Lake-S" is built on existing 14 nm process, so it's possible to compare core sizes given the identical transistor densities. The cores feature larger caches, given that Intel has enlarged the dedicated L2 cache per core to 512 KB, up from 256 KB on "Skylake." The shared L3 cache is still 16 MB.

It's also worth noting that the uncore area of the die, which features its memory controllers and main PCIe switching fabric, is noticeably larger than that of "Skylake" thru "Comet Lake" dies. This is due to the switch to PCI-Express Gen 4.0, and the processor putting out 28 PCIe lanes as opposed to just 20 on the "Comet Lake-S." That's 16 lanes toward PEG, 4 toward a CPU-attached NVMe slot, and 8 toward the DMI chipset bus (compared to just 4 on the older platforms). The memory controllers could be largely unchanged since the platform features the same dual-channel DDR4 memory interface. Elsewhere across the die, we see the new Gen12 Xe-LP iGPU, which unless we're mistaken, is slightly smaller in area than the Gen9.5 iGPUs. This variant of the Iris Xe iGPU is much smaller (in functionality, not die-area) than the one you'd find in 11th Gen Core "Tiger Lake" mobile processors, as it features half the number of execution units (48, compared to 96 on the "Tiger Lake").

In its call, Intel still hasn't revealed availability of the 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S," although several PC motherboard makers have gone on record to mention a "late March 2021" release.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
Intel still puts iGPUs into their higher end gaming SKUs... why? What good do they possibly serve? I'm convinced at this point that they're purely just marketing fluff, not for consumers but for for clueless product managers at systems integrators who when they decide between AMD or Intel, see the flashy iGPU numbers and decide to go with Intel because they think it has a feature that AMD Zen 3 lacks. Think about it, has anyone heard anyone complain that Zen 3 doesn't have an integrated GPU so far?

If Intel would ditch that useless die space taken up by their unnecessary iGPUs, maybe they could have more than 8 cores again. Even if those numbers are perfectly accurate, given what we know about how poorly multi threaded games currently are, who is going to give up 4 cores for 2-8% at 1080P, when at 4K those numbers will be much tighter and you'll also have 4 fewer cores for your entire system.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Intel still puts iGPUs into their higher end gaming SKUs... why? What good do they possibly serve? I'm convinced at this point that they're purely just marketing fluff, not for consumers but for for clueless product managers at systems integrators who when they decide between AMD or Intel, see the flashy iGPU numbers and decide to go with Intel because they think it has a feature that AMD Zen 3 lacks. Think about it, has anyone heard anyone complain that Zen 3 doesn't have an integrated GPU so far?

If Intel would ditch that useless die space taken up by their unnecessary iGPUs, maybe they could have more than 8 cores again.

Actually the iGPUs are pretty nice in Intel chips for a workstation PC where all you care about is CPU performance. Where as with AMD it all ends up being more expensive because you need a dedicated GPU with those, and really low end GPUs ($100 or cheaper) just dont even exist anymore.

Ive build a few rigs for people in the last year where they really dont need a GPU that will do much more than let them run multiple monitors and so I went with Intel 6 and 8 core CPUs.

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Actually the iGPUs are pretty nice in Intel chips for a workstation PC where all you care about is CPU performance. Where as with AMD it all ends up being more expensive because you need a dedicated GPU with those, and really low end GPUs ($100 or cheaper) just dont even exist anymore.

Ive build a few rigs for people in the last year where they really dont need a GPU that will do much more than let them run multiple monitors and so I went with Intel 6 and 8 core CPUs.

So have I, but I still ended up having to add on a cheap Quadro or Firepro card to support a 3rd monitor. I just don't think there are that many situations where they make enough sense to gimp the entire line of SKUs for the few use cases that need them.

Edit: I will admit, to Intel's credit, that I don't run a massive multi billion dollar company so their engineers probably know something I don't, but let's not overlook the fact that the only reason these are 8 core parts and not 12+ is that iGPU, which will be completely useless to a lot of readers here. And I can't remember the last time I saw a PC with a high end desktop CPU at Costco etc that didn't also have a Radeon or Geforce card.

"Intel in its media event confirmed that the top Core i9-11900K is an 8-core/16-thread processor, which will deliver the highest PC gaming performance possible when it comes out."

If this is Intel's wording, it makes me question the gains over both amd and previous Intel chips. Specifically the word" possible" instead of something like "ever" or "to date".

But I could also e reading too much into it. Time will tell.

Actually the iGPUs are pretty nice in Intel chips for a workstation PC where all you care about is CPU performance.
No not really, for workstations an IGP is pretty much useless. As for GPU, I can easily get one for dedicated (video) output for less than $50 not to mention the IGP actually restricts the thermals of such a chip even if only marginally.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
No not really, for workstations an IGP is pretty much useless. As for GPU, I can easily get one for dedicated (video) output for less than $50 not to mention the IGP actually restricts the thermals of such a chip even if only marginally.

I guess that depends on a workstation. For someone like my father who is a power systems manager and software developer on the side, all he needs is a system to compile code, etc and run a max of 2 monitors, one of which is a massive 34" ultrawide and he perfectly satisfied with the 6 Core intel chip and the iGPU.

That's true for the most part, horses for courses I guess but then you mentioned this part ~
workstation PC where all you care about is CPU performance.
In that IMO the die space is wasted on the IGP, ideally I'd prefer the IGP to be always there (just as a failsafe) but not use any power or space :p

vedler

Edit: I will admit, to Intel's credit, that I don't run a massive multi billion dollar company so their engineers probably know something I don't, but let's not overlook the fact that the only reason these are 8 core parts and not 12+ is that iGPU, which will be completely useless to a lot of readers here. And I can't remember the last time I saw a PC with a high end desktop CPU at Costco etc that didn't also have a Radeon or Geforce card.

It's possible that its easier to manufacture the CPUs if they all follow similar specifications, including the presence of the iGPU. Time will tell if it's about cutting costs or if they are in the process upgrading rest of the production lines for something completely new.

That's true, a big reason why AMD has been so successful with Zen ~ they can just churn out a dozen different combinations with the chiplet design & a slightly tweaked I/O die.

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
The iGPU did make sense back with Sandy Bridge when NVENC wasn't a thing yet, and getting fast "good enough quality" video encoding was actually useful. I used it a few times but it was still pretty useless to me since I don't do much with video. Today though, if you're actually doing any kind of encoding you're probably using a dedicated GPU. Like most features, it started out being useful but Intel's Marketing team has held an iron grip over the engineering side it seems, because the feature is mostly useless at the high end, yet the marketing slides are pretending it's still 2011.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Meh also new chipsets and motherboards for a deadend platform.
It's ironic though, they finally put out a half decent chipset with more lanes than ever and it's too late lol.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
That's true, a big reason why AMD has been so successful with Zen ~ they can just churn out a dozen different combinations with the chiplet design & a slightly tweaked I/O die.
AMD could have included a very basic iGPU on their I/O die, without any 3D or video acceleretion. It would still be an useful addition for many users ... and yet, they didn't think of that.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Probably see a Zen3+/XT refresh released on a 7nm+ node that will neutralize this with a commiserate $50 (or more) drop in the current lineup, it makes perfect sense. When Zen3 was released, I was wondering why it was produced on the same exact 7nm node as Zen2 when there were better ones available, and it seems that the simple answer was because it didn't have to be produced on an improved 7nm node to beat intel. AMD could therefore charge more while maintaining the same exact costs and raise their profit margin. It would also allow them to have the option of dropping the $50 increase later to stay competitive (really loose nothing for all intents and purposes) and have the option of a 7nm+ node in their back pocket to edge intel out again with an XT refresh. I truly think this is going to happen.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Probably see a Zen3+/XT refresh released on a 7nm+ node that will neutralize this with a commiserate $50 (or more) drop in the current lineup.....
Commensurate.

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big

If Intel would ditch that useless die space taken up by their unnecessary iGPUs, maybe they could have more than 8 cores again. Even if those numbers are perfectly accurate, given what we know about how poorly multi threaded games currently are, who is going to give up 4 cores for 2-8% at 1080P, when at 4K those numbers will be much tighter and you'll also have 4 fewer cores for your entire system.
Because those dies will likely also end up in high end laptops, which need iGPUs.

D

Deleted member 24505

personally, i find the iGPU pretty useful. I destroyed a video card, and used the iGPU till i got another one. With AMD I would not have been able to use the PC at all. I have also used My dedicated GPU for games on my monitor, and had a film playing via the igpu on the big screen tv at the same time in the past.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
My main concern is that they are comparing the 11900K to a 5900X. 5900X is a $550 CPU MSRP. Does this also mean the 11900K will be $550?

I would hope Intel would undercut that price point given the lower multi-core ability of 11900K vs 5900X. 8 cores is fine for gaming and the vast majority of users, but if a 12 core is at the same price with similar single thread performance and better multi-thread, it would be kind of a no-brainer to go for the 5900X.

OFC, if RKL is actually available, that's going to be a big win.