• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX2080 Strix records video with artifacts.

Boltyanskiy

Hi, guys. I have a problem with my RTX2080. The problem appeared after six months of use, and since then, it has been in the same state. I mean, I can play all games without artifacts on my screen, but I can't record them, though I work with video editing. I have to use the x264 codec to record video with my Ryzen 5 3600. At the approximate period when the problem appeared, I used MSI afterburner to overclock the card (Idk, +50-100 GPU clock, I experimented), and I remember that I had visual bugs during the drivers installation (upgrade). But after restarting my PC, the bugs were gone. I hope you can help with my problem.

What I already tried and what didn't help.

1. I tried to use my GPU on another PC.
  2. Reinstalling drivers (clean uninstalling too)
  3. Reinstalling Windows 10 (tried Windows 7 too)
  4. Switching the BIOS mode on GPU.

I think the last thing that I didn't try is reinstalling GPU's BIOS.
What do you think? Thanks in advance for your response.

I attached the screenshot from Mud Runner video, so you can see the artifats. I must add that it doesn't matter if the GPU is loaded or not. There are artifacts even if I record desktop.

Attachments

• photo_2020-11-27_22-26-53.jpg
    photo_2020-11-27_22-26-53.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 110
Did you try to undervolt the GPU ? also try to lower the GPU and vRAM frequency by say 100Mhz and see if you still get that problem. Also did you try with another monitor or a TV and another DP/HDMI port and cable ?

Boltyanskiy

does it happen when you drop the GPU by a 100 Mhz and the memory by let's say 500?
It does. Artifacts appear on the recorded video. But I tried -502 GPU and -502 Memory (it's maximum in MSI afterburner) and I can't catch artifacting with my eyes. But this is not the solution, because with those frequencies I can't get decent FPS in 1440p.
800$ card (2019) with one of the best cooling system and I'm having this weird problem. I would've given up if it stopped working, but it works. I play Cyberpunk, it's loaded up to 90-95%, temperature is 70. I don't know what is wrong with recording.

Did you try to undervolt the GPU ? also try to lower the GPU and vRAM frequency by say 100Mhz and see if you still get that problem. Also did you try with another monitor or a TV and another DP/HDMI port and cable ?
I tried everything you mentioned except for undervolting. I don't know why, but MSI afterburner doesn't allow me to edit the voltage curve, though I enabled all the associated settings.

D

Deleted member 193596

It does. Artifacts appear on the recorded video. But I tried -502 GPU and -502 Memory (it's maximum in MSI afterburner) and I can't catch artifacting with my eyes. But this is not the solution, because with those frequencies I can't get decent FPS in 1440p.
800$ card (2019) with one of the best cooling system and I'm having this weird problem. I would've given up if it stopped working, but it works. I play Cyberpunk, it's loaded up to 90-95%, temperature is 70. I don't know what is wrong with recording.

I tried everything you mentioned except for undervolting. I don't know why, but MSI afterburner doesn't allow me to edit the voltage curve, though I enabled all the associated settings.
well that does not matter.. if the card is stable it is stable.

sounds more like something defective.
i'd RMA it (if they can provide a replacement card since it is so hard to get cards in many parts of the world)
if not i'd just keep using it (maybe somewhere in the future you'll randomly find a fix for it. or it's a driver issue.. who knows)

D

Deleted member 193596

What does it mean? I bought this card in my local market, I had only 1 year warranty :)
what do you mean with "local market"?

did you bought it from a retailer or used/private?

ASUS has a 3 year warranty

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
what recording software are you using?

if youre using shadow play, try using a different capture program to see if the shadow play function is the issue. you already have Afterburner, set the recording function & test to see if the artifacts appear still

dont mess with the bios

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
I bought it new but in my country there are no official retailers.
Reach out to the card manufacturer's support (MSI, EVGA, Asus, etc).

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
^^ is a good idea, IF you have a receipt. but im getting the impression this cards origins are 'shady'

Boltyanskiy

what recording software are you using?

if youre using shadow play, try using a different capture program to see if the shadow play function is the issue. you already have Afterburner, set the recording function & test to see if the artifacts appear still

dont mess with the bios
I use different recording sowtware : Bandicam, OBS, Shadowplay - it doesn't matter. If I choose NVENC or h264 GPU mode, I get artifacts. If I record h264 CPU or x264 - everything is fine, but my CPU is pretty weak for recording in good quality.

^^ is a good idea, IF you have a receipt. but im getting the impression this cards origins are 'shady'
Man, it's not shady. I'm from Uzbekistan, there are no official stores from vendors like ASUS or something. I have box, documentation and everything. The box was sealed when I bought it.
But, as I said, this is not official retailer that's why the seller gives 1 year warrany for GPU and write on the warranty list the date when warranty expires. And yes, they don't give the receipts. That's how we live :rolleyes:

I asked ASUS about this problem, they said "try your GPU in another PC". I did it - it didn't help. I don't think they will help me :)

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
I asked ASUS about this problem, they said "try your GPU in another PC". I did it - it didn't help. I don't think they will help me :)
That's just an initial troubleshooting step. Report back to them that trying in a different PC didn't help. While I'm not exactly sure how it works in other countries, even if the card is no longer covered under manufacturer warranty, you would think they'd at least be able to diagnose the problem for you and potentially fix it for a price.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
I use different recording sowtware : Bandicam, OBS, Shadowplay - it doesn't matter. If I choose NVENC or h264 GPU mode, I get artifacts. If I record h264 CPU or x264 - everything is fine, but my CPU is pretty weak for recording in good quality.

Man, it's not shady. I'm from Uzbekistan, there are no official stores from vendors like ASUS or something. I have box, documentation and everything.
I'm afraid that for CPU encoding, it will require at least a Ryzen 7 3700X. (or at least a previous gen 8C/16T Ryzen)