• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple's Rumored Mixed-Reality Headset To Include Dual 8K Displays & Cost 3,000 USD

Dux

It's Apple, so ofc it's expensive. On Apple products the thing that you pay the most is the brand. Which hipsters and posers think gives them some social status.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have you priced out a laptop to use for work with 64GB of ram and a half decent GPU? Your options are basically a 16" MacBook Pro or a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation and the Precision is more expensive than the MBP for a similar loadout, not to mention is bigger, heavier, and has worse battery life (forget my opinions about using nVidia.) Not to mention you have to pay a lot more for Dell's service than for AppleCare. I'd love to hear your explanation for how I'm a sheep though, if you're going to make wide reaching claims like that. ;)

The thing I like about Apple is that out of all the devices I've used, they're the ones that typically "just work" the best and when I use a device for my job, I can't be fiddling with it because a kernel update did something dumb or because bleeding edge mesa broke my system. It needs to just work. This isn't something everyone needs, particularly if your main consideration is gaming, but I wouldn't call people sheep just because you don't have the same needs or budget as others.

With that said:

I'd like to make an amendment to this. Forum Guidelines clearly state:

If you consider yourself a sheep by all means, you clearly only read up to "Apple sheep" before getting butthurt (not saying you are but that is how you comment reads) because it sounds like if you are pricing out something like so and comparing to similar products you clearly have a need for it and are not "has an Apple logo and it is expensive they need to have it regardless of what it does." But anyway, if the shoe fits.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
If you consider yourself a sheep by all means, you clearly only read up to "Apple sheep" before butthurt (not saying you are but that is how you comment reads) because it sounds like if you are pricing out something like so and comparing to similar products you clearly have a need for it and are not "has an Apple logo and it is expensive they need to have it regardless of what it does." But anyway, if the shoe fits.
My point is that you're making assumptions about the people who buy a product which isn't necessarily true. I don't know anyone who has bought an Apple product simply because it's Apple. I think this is a narrative that people like to perpetuate more than actually being true.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
My point is that you're making assumptions about the which isn't necessarily true. I don't know anyone who has bought an Apple product simply because it's Apple. I think this is a narrative that people like to perpetuate more than actually being true.

And not necessarily false either, because I know people who are like that, worked at an office 6 years ago where that was precisely the case. It was practically a cult.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
And not necessarily false either, because I know people who are like that, worked at an office 6 years ago where that was precisely the case. It was practically a cult.
That's unfortunate. I like my devices, but I wouldn't rant about them day and night.

Remember: when apple push; the push allows others to follow. So this is good when it comes to hardware production and dominant design (to some degree)
NO! APPLE BAD!

So none of them looked at Android phones and maybe just didn't like them? "Like a cult" sounds exactly like what Aquinus was referring to. That there's a myth/narrative out there that people can't decide on their own what to buy. That they simply follow the logo like literal Zombies....

Who are you actually kidding with this? You're acting like people can't look up how Android looks and works in two minutes. Or like they haven't seen an Android phone before. It's not like there are many alternatives ffs. And especially: It's not like Android/Windows/Linux is somehow magically better! That's just grandstanding bullshit that is narcissistic. I'm gonna call it tech-narcissism.

Yes, people pay more for Apple products. Because they think they're actually better and because there aren't that many alternatives! That's really it! Acting like there is more to it and that people are joining the "Apple cult" is just stupid hogwash. Maybe... just maybe, people like better things and are willing to pay more for them.

Seriously, arguing that Apple is too expensive is just as bad/cringy as arguing that Android/Windows/Linux are the best operating systems. Just stop.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
NO! APPLE BAD!

So none of them looked at Android phones and maybe just didn't like them? "Like a cult" sounds exactly like what Aquinus was referring to. That there's a myth/narrative out there that people can't decide on their own what to buy. That they simply follow the logo like literal Zombies....

Who are you actually kidding with this? You're acting like people can't look up how Android looks and works in two minutes. Or like they haven't seen an Android phone before. It's not like there are many alternatives ffs. And especially: It's not like Android/Windows/Linux is somehow magically better! That's just grandstanding bullshit that is narcissistic. I'm gonna call it tech-narcissism.

Yes, people pay more for Apple products. Because they think they're actually better and because there aren't that many alternatives! That's really it! Acting like there is more to it and that people are joining the "Apple cult" is just stupid hogwash. Maybe... just maybe, people like better things and are willing to pay more for them.

Seriously, arguing that Apple is too expensive is just as bad/cringy as arguing that Android/Windows/Linux are the best operating systems. Just stop.

How about you just stop, I said what I said not targeting anyone specifically but YOU two decided that you want to be offended by what I said. I never said they were too expensive, no one said it here. I pointed out that there is a significant group who are superficial/shallow and do not care about the price and will buy it as long it has an Apple logo and it is expensive in order to portray some image. Not reading someone comment and making an interjection that way off and has it all wrong is cringey. For real, where am I acting like android is superior and so exalted that the common person could not understand how it works?

System Name La Machina
Processor AMD Ryzen 2700
Motherboard ASUS B450 TUF mATX
Cooling EVO 212
Memory Corsair 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) RX 560
Storage Some SSD here, some old spinning stuff there
Display(s) 4k Samsung TV and an Asus Pro Art 231
Case Some microatx Antec
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic 600W maybe?
What is the purpose of this product, the focus of it, the end goal?
For streaming videos?
For digital meetings?
For gaming?
For linking up with Musk's Neuralink to help create the first Matrix - Matrix 1.0?
For designing a Ready Player One reality?
It's all for prawn. Just prawn.

System Name DaBeast! DaBeast2!
Processor AMD AM4 Ryzen 9 5900X 12C24T/AMD AM4 RYZEN 9 3900X 12C/24T
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme/Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360/Thermalright PA 120 SE
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16/2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX 24GB/Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT 16GB
Storage 500GB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe PCIe 4x4 + 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe PCIe 4x4 + TG Cardea Zero Z NVMe PCIe 4x4
Display(s) Samsung LC49HG90DMEX 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2/Acer XR341CK 75Hz 21:9 Freesync
Case CoolerMaster H500M/SOLDAM XR-1
Audio Device(s) iFi Micro iDSD BL + Philips Fidelio B97/FostexHP-A4 + LG SP8YA
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum/Enermax MAXREVO 1500
Mouse Logitech G703/Logitech G603 WL
Keyboard Logitech G613/Keychron K2
Software Win11 Pro/Win11 Pro
That price is not set in stone, I estimate, by launch day, it will be closer to $1k
You sure? This from a company that sells the Mac Pro's wheels for $400.....I think you've set the bar too low. I'd not at all be surprised if their VR headset exceeds $3k simply because they have iSheeps who'd buy anything at inflated price simply because it's Apple.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
You sure? This from a company that sells the Mac Pro's wheels for $400.....I think you've set the bar too low. I'd not at all be surprised if their VR headset exceeds $3k simply because they have iSheeps who'd buy anything at inflated price simply because it's Apple.
I'm sure there are people who have similar opinions of people who spend in excess of $1k on a GPU, particularly if it's out of brand loyalty or to just simply have "the best" regardless of price or the cost of feeding the scalpers. The only difference is which side of the fence you're on.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I'm sure there are people who have similar opinions of people who spend in excess of $1k on a GPU, particularly if it's out of brand loyalty or to just simply have "the best" regardless of price or the cost of feeding the scalpers. The only difference is which side of the fence you're on.
Not really, there are vast differences between a pc enthusiast and what appears to be the typical Apple user, and that's leaving alone features offered , pliability and the fact that pre scalper apple already hit quite the premium on price.
Imagine if scalpers Could work apple over the prices would set records.
As for the Op I am not buying , seems a bit expensive but if aimed at hololense not that expensive for business use for example.
The only plus to me is that tech boundaries pushed might inspire others to do similar,. For cheaper.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) X570
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm radiator
Memory Thermaltake ToughRAM RGB, 64GB DDR4, 3600MHz CL18, Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Asus TUF GeForce RTX™ 3090
Storage Adata XPG GAMMIX S50, 2TB, NVMe, M.2 SSD
Display(s) Dell G3223Q 32", 4K UHD, 144Hz, FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Audio Device(s) Logitech G433 USB DAC
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 21H2
That price is not set in stone, I estimate, by launch day, it will be closer to $1k
You mean 10k? The cheapest 4K display I can currently buy is currently $210 + tax. The Oculus Quest 2 has 4k resolution, but half for each eye, and it starts from $300. In theory. In practice, due to scalpers and low availability, I can only buy one for $600 + tax. So, the VR headset is between 43% and 186% more expensive than the cheapest display with a similar resolution. If I go to 8K, the cheapest display I can find is $2000 + tax. But, for the Apple thing, you would need two. So that brings you to $4000. Then, you add 43% to 186% to that, and you get something that costs between $5700 and $11400. Then, on top of that, you have to add the Apple tax ;)