• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CD Projekt Red Hack: Red Engine, Multiple Games' Source Code Sold by Hackers

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
As if CD Projekt Red needed any more problems on their plate that weren't of their own creation, it seems that the hackers who recently infiltrated the company's infrastructure have turned out a profit on sensitive data. After source code for CD Projekt Red's Red Engine, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, and Gwent were stolen from the company's servers, the company announced they had gone to the relevant authorities, and that they wouldn't negotiate with the data terrorists. Now, according to Cybersecurity company Kela, the hackers have de-listed their auction for the data - after requiring a starting bid of $1 million, and expecting $7 million for the entire package.

The deal apparently went through, with a condition that bars the hackers from re-selling the data to any other parties. It remains to be seen whether or not the thieves will abide by their word and the conditions reportedly set upon the sale. Of course, it is in the realm of possibility that CD Projekt Red themselves acquired the data anonymously so as to protect their corporate and technology interests - one can only imagine the repercussions of the company's efforts being exposed this way. And despite any ill sentiment that can be levied at the company for the state of Cyberpunk 2077's last-gen versions, I'd say that respect for the company's developers and team should have us all on their side on this one.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
"And despite any ill sentiment that can be levied at the company for the state of Cyberpunk 2077's last-gen versions, I'd say that respect for the company's developers and team should have us all on their side on this one."

yeaaahhhhhh no, I dont even care about the last-gen versions, that is so beyond unacceptable its pathetic, all anyone had to do was start the game up 1 afternoon to figure out it was not ready for release but apperently that was too much work, better cash in on those pre-orders and dont release a new trailer that actually represented to lack of content it has, not even a shadow of the promisses.

Imagine though this being some eleborate scheme to create some sympathy by them being the victims and then have modders go ham on teh source code to fix the game for them, ez money for no effort.

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
Was it though?

We know that there was an auction but there's no evidence anyone actually bought it. Could just be these hackers trying to save face.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Was it though?

We know that there was an auction but there's no evidence anyone actually bought it. Could just be these hackers trying to save face.

Im sure there are 'Agents' who work on the behalf of big publishers and developers who would of had them bid for the source code. Whats a few million to companies like Activision or EA? Its not even a bonus for one of their executives.

Unless the forensic team can track down the hackers and who bought the source code. We'll see more witcher like and mini games like gwent in some 4-6 years time from now after whoever has it has had time to deep dive into it and mine it for information.

Though Ive been told that the sale was made on the basis that the data wouldnt be traded or sold to anyone else be it an individual or corporation so it has to be kept private. The buyer could also make copies and sell it on again.

espionage happens. Just recently Intel opened a lawsuit against a former employee who used to work in their marketing department had access to a lot of sensitive information and data and sold it or attempted to sell it to microsoft or some other company.

I know its very cloak and dagger stuff but a lot happens and of course competitors want advantages over each other and the source code to one of the best games ever made will probably help them even if they dont copy and paste elements from it into their own game.

Last edited:
System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Though Ive been told that the sale was made on the basis that the data wouldnt be traded or sold to anyone else be it an individual or corporation so it has to be kept private. The buyer could also make copies and sell it on again.
I find that promise to be quite laughable. Honor among thieves? Right, lol.

Exactly. Given the data was illegally obtained and that the seller was almost certainly paid anonymously, what's the seller going to do to "enforce" it, go public, sue the buyer and promptly get arrested for the hack in the first place?... For the same reason, the conspiracy rumours that the buyer was secretly CDPR trying to keep it from leaking out don't make much sense as there's nothing to stop the seller (who probably has multiple backups) from selling it multiple times (as hackers of credit card databases have done in the past) after pocketing any payment from CDPR. Not paying up is the only sane move CDPR can make, and I'm more inclined to believe the conspiracy that the hacker faked a "sale" to save face as some are saying (well, unless the buyer was from a certain Asian country with notoriously poor IP protection looking to create an internal market for the Cyberpunk equivalent of this. If we see SinoPunk 2077 pop up over the next few weeks, we'll know for sure... :D

Last edited:

They obviously have their nose out of joint and want to dish out a copious amount of punishment. That's exactly what a terrorist is, and that's exactly why you can't negotiate with them. They're a bottomless pit of threats that can never be satisfied and will never stand by their word.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Exactly. Given the data was illegally obtained and that the seller was almost certainly paid anonymously, what's the seller going to do to "enforce" it, go public, sue the buyer and promptly get arrested for the hack in the first place?... For the same reason, the conspiracy rumours that the buyer was secretly CDPR trying to keep it from leaking out don't make much sense as there's nothing to stop the seller (who probably has multiple backups) from selling it multiple times (as hackers of credit card databases have done in the past) after pocketing any payment from CDPR. Not paying up is the only sane move CDPR can make, and I'm more inclined to believe the conspiracy that the hacker faked a "sale" to save face as some are saying (well, unless the buyer was from a certain Asian country with notoriously poor IP protection looking to create an internal market for the Cyberpunk equivalent of this. If we see SinoPunk 2077 pop up over the next few weeks, we'll know for sure... :D

Well the question falls down to *WHO* bought the source code. I very much doubt that an official parties like EA or Activision would buy it just to sell it on for profit let alone want anyone know that they have it. Same goes for the other players in the game dev space. Im sure everyone wants to know what makes Witcher games tick. individuals are more likely to sell it on for profit though.

secondly, CDPR does not have a patent on whatever mechanics or features in Witcher games so even if similarities were to appear in games further on down the line. CDPR cant really sue for plagiarism.

Anyway, i am unaware if there were any contract that was signed that sealed the deal but either way, the code is out there.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I wonder if we'll get chinese games with stolen code, or if malware will target their games now (via mods, or any network code they have)

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I dont what all the fluff is about, there was no real ground breaking new code changing hands. People put hard work in to make 2077 what it is. I see all this in one person/team that might be out to make some cloned game off the stolen code with add tweaks. There is no real value in the code, only value is to those that want it. Even if the code is released to the public, what can they really do with it? cheat? :banghead:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The deal apparently went through, with a condition that bars the hackers from re-selling the data to any other parties.

Or what? :wtf:

Low quality post by JAB Creations
Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
yeaaahhhhhh no, I dont ... apperently ... dont... promisses. ... eleborate ... teh ... ez .

Who else loathes it when 12 year olds who can't use spellcheckers are the first in comments?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
It would be interesting for objective parties to see how much optimization was left on the table for other platforms.

Technically the guarantors are suppose to enforce, but this one is not known for enforcing anything other than ensure anonymity of both party.

Processor Intel I9-9900K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling NZXT Kraken x62v2
Memory 4x8GB G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz CL14
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP + Alphacool Eiswolf 240 GPX Pro
Storage ADATA 1TB XPG SX8200 Pro + Intel 16GB Optane Memory 16GB M.2 + WD Blue 4TB
Display(s) Samsung CRG9 32:9 + Samsung S34J55W 21:9 + Samsung S24B300 16:9
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 850W Gold
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
Correct me if i'm wrong but,
In code they stole, the only thing i think is really valuable on those games is the NPC Artificial Intelligence and the Physics and it's not that interesting for Cyberpunk 2077, the very simple Npc AI is lackbuster, if someone stole Rockstar AI, that would be much more.
The code behind talent trees(incomplete :\ ), weapon gameplay, driving cars, the props, the buildings, it's all basic stuff for any Triple A game to be used for a future project.

There's also something i want to know, about this code,

Can the people who bought it make games based on the engine used for those games? or is the RedEngine 3 it's separate thing?
I'm asking because if it's the same thing then it's not only AI but visual graphic techniques that can also be used.

I can't imagine there being anything interesting about this source to competing developers. The Witcher 3 is not revolutionary in its gameplay, cp2077 is buggy as heck and poorly optimised, Gwent is Gwent. These games (particularly Witcher 3) succeed due to subject matter, quest content and context... None of which are 'hidden' in the source.

If I was CDPR I would just make sure there aren't glaring security holes and carry on.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Who else loathes it when 12 year olds who can't use spellcheckers are the first in comments?
There is a "spellchecker" build into this website?

What is different between copy of games which we buy in shops for $xx or cheap and "codes" of game which is offering for billions?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
What is different between copy of games which we buy in shops for $xx or cheap and "codes" of game which is offering for billions?
source code, simplifying its the human language version before it gets converted into faster running files, that humans cant make sense of.
go open an .exe in word and see how much sense you can make out of it

ixi

I dont what all the fluff is about, there was no real ground breaking new code changing hands. People put hard work in to make 2077 what it is. I see all this in one person/team that might be out to make some cloned game off the stolen code with add tweaks. There is no real value in the code, only value is to those that want it. Even if the code is released to the public, what can they really do with it? cheat? :banghead:

Hard work? - maybe.

Good/Quality outcome? - No.

You can't compare cb 2077 to gta v.

GTA V was made in 4.5 or 5 years while cb 2077 was made in 8 years and was trash and is trash.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?

I don't mean to undermine anything, but source code useful for specific project only, unless buyer got some project "similar" and in line with Red Engine. Big player doens't want that, they have to spent extra time and effort for disassemble and debugging. Some indie games or small start up might interested, but then again most of them are focusing on mobile games.

source code, simplifying its the human language version before it gets converted into faster running files, that humans cant make sense of.
go open an .exe in word and see how much sense you can make out of it
What is reasons for it's price? What is the benefit for someone who bought the source code of a game for millions of dollars. How could he recoup his investment?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
GTA V was made in 4.5 or 5 years while cb 2077 was made in 8 years
time spent developing does not matter, the end product does. Time is by no means any way judge a game.