• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can someone explain to me why manufacturing is the culprit of Intel's woes?

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Talk to me like a noob. I just watched Cold Fusion's take on Intel, and the conclusion is that he lays the blame on Intel trying to juggle manufacturing and design. That dropping this might solve problems. This doesn't make any sense to me. Intel's manufacturing is still done with cheaper labor. It's not like they're necessarily paying higher costs than TSMC. This conclusion to break up Intel seems suspect and with ulterior motives. And it's bad enough that this has already happened to multiple American computer companies (AMD included). Wasn't it the old AMD CEO himself who once said, "Real men have fabs"?

I can definitely get behind the idea that Intel has been (extremely) wasteful in R&D and incompetent over the years (and as a result of the incompetence, abusive in covering it up), but manufacturing being a problem specifically? It doesn't make any sense.

Sorry if this is the wrong section to ask this question.

Intel - From Inventors of the CPU to Laughing Stock [Part 1] - YouTube

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Real men have fabs
:rockout:
That explains why Intel is still able to squeeze so much out of 14nm. Imagine what's possible with a shrink to 7nm and beyond, if they continue to juggle both. AMD can't juggle both out of necessity.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
:rockout:
That explains why Intel is still able to squeeze so much out of 14nm. Imagine what's possible with a shrink to 7nm and beyond, if they continue to juggle both. AMD can't juggle both out of necessity.
I moved to AMD for now, but yeah... Respect.

Semiconductor fabrication is not done with cheap labor. They are literally building chips with transistors with light at the physical limits of physics. Intel, TSMC, Samsung are all at the cutting edge of science and manufacturing. The only cheap labor is the dude putting the chip in the box.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Semiconductor fabrication is not done with cheap labor. They are literally building chips with transistors with light at the physical limits of physics. Intel, TSMC, Samsung are all at the cutting edge of science and manufacturing. The only cheap labor is the dude putting the chip in the box.
Sorry, I meant relatively. Intel still goes overseas for much of it (right?), even if it's in house.

Sorry, I meant relatively. Intel still goes overseas for much of it (right?), even if it's in house.
Relative to what? These are highly desirable, high paying jobs that states and countries compete over to have in their economies. Intel does have fabs outside of the US but the vast majority is located here and I think all the cutting edge stuff is here.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Relative to what? These are highly desirable, high paying jobs that states and countries compete over to have in their economies. Intel does have fabs outside of the US but the vast majority is located here and I think all the cutting edge stuff is here.
They move around.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It isn't about the cost of labor, it's about the cost of R&D and refinement of a process. Intel still can't get good yields on anything below 14nm. This means their production is limited on their 10nm node, which is why we haven't seen 10nm desktop processors.

I don't think splitting Intel into chip design and chip manufacture would help this any though.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Thanks for pointing it out. I did a comparison and some positions at TSMC are actually earning a little more, surprisingly. But I'm even more confused now.

Talk to me like a noob. I just watched Cold Fusion's take on Intel, and the conclusion is that he lays the blame on Intel trying to juggle manufacturing and design. That dropping this might solve problems. This doesn't make any sense to me. Intel's manufacturing is still done with cheaper labor. It's not like they're necessarily paying higher costs than TSMC. This conclusion to break up Intel seems suspect and with ulterior motives. And it's bad enough that this has already happened to multiple American computer companies (AMD included). Wasn't it the old AMD CEO himself who once said, "Real men have fabs"?

I can definitely get behind the idea that Intel has been (extremely) wasteful in R&D and incompetent over the years (and as a result of the incompetence, abusive in covering it up), but manufacturing being a problem specifically? It doesn't make any sense.

Sorry if this is the wrong section to ask this question.

Intel - From Inventors of the CPU to Laughing Stock [Part 1] - YouTube
Main reason is probably Krzanich (sry if i mispelled his name), he ruined almost everything. He fired good, expierienced, software, hardware engineers and hire young, inexperienced ones instead. He blew away the software side too and, kinda everything for short term financial gains...
How is the proverb: dont change what works, now he did not accept this...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Making cutting edge chips is one of the hardest, most complex and most expensive things you can do. If Intel indeed has a long history of mismanagement and general "brain drain" it's not strange at all they are lagging behind. And it's a long game, you can't chase those quartely reports forever.

And it's hard to know exactly what happens at Intel, or any semiconductor company.

Last edited:
Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
It's all about yields. If you pay 40 million for a lightbulb (otherwise known as an EUV source), 90 million for a single EUV lens and billions for a single production line you need to ensure return of investment. Companies like TSMC can juggle between processes and methods of optimization because they manufacture for many different clients with different needs. Intel, as a singular client for their own manufacturing, doesn't have this luxury. They have a very limited number of product lines and they have to make it work. In other words, if TSMC has a process line which is not yet perfectly optimized for high performance parts, they can use it for clients who don't need absolutely highest quality. Intel can't do this, they really need to get their yields high to be profitable. That's why there is some talk of Intel selling it's manufacturing ability to others, but we probably won't see this happening soon.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
They need some of that good old fashioned corporate espionage action to see how the "other" guys are doing things :D

The world has gone soft its not like the movies :p

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
They need some of that good old fashioned corporate espionage action to see how the "other" guys are doing things :D

The world has gone soft its not like the movies :p
That happened with Samsung and TSMC actually :D

JDMAN

I saw an explanation of Intel's difficulty... but I don't remember what article I was reading.

The author suggested that AMD using the chiplet design vs. Intel using a single chip for all cores is the issue. Four years ago, 4-6 physical cores was the max on mainstream processors. Anything more was lower frequency, server class chips, expensive and low volume. But AMD created a 'core gap' with their Ryzen line, making 6-8 physical cores mainstream, while lowering process from 14 nm to 7nm.

The article pointed out that the single chip design results in significantly higher failure rates as the core count rises. If even a single core fails spec, the entire processor fails. AMD, by using 2 and 4 core chiplets, can scale up core count without increasing the loss due to defects.

Add to it trying to move to a new, smaller process, Intel is probably suffering from an unacceptable defect rate in their 10nm process, making it cost prohibitive... or at least uncompetitive with AMD. The article did point out that the chiplet design has drawbacks, specifically with DRAM, on Zen and Zen+, but Zen 2's changes to the on-chip memory controller appear to have made significant improvement in that area.

I suppose intel could sell the partially defective chips as lower clock speed and/or lower core count chips, but the production cost is the same as with the working chips and they will have to be sold at much lower price / margin.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Your joking right, these machines cost 5/10 billion ,you choose wisely who goes near it in any way.
Doesn't matter where, the people be on the ball, they have more balls in the air then Any other chip company if you count sub divisions.
And owned devices.
They hit the walls AMD dodged with chiplets, the uncore ,all other parts of the CPU that aren't core's don't scale as well without great efforts, plus intel evolved technology in other directions that could yet vindicate their direction like emib, big little GPU , advanced memory types.

Last edited: