• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can you RMA a used (second user) graphics card (MSI specific)?

System Name My HTPC Games Build
Processor Ryzen 5 2600 Hex Core 12 Thread CPU
Motherboard ASUS AB350 Gaming Socket AM4
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400MHZ (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI 6GB
Storage Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe 1.92TB PCIE SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB SSD M.2 (SATA MODE)
Display(s) Digihome 55" UHD TV via Yamaha RV-V377 Receiver
Case Cooler Master Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Motherboard/GPU (No Sound Card)
Power Supply Corsair CX850M 850 Watt
Mouse Logitech K400
Keyboard Logitech K400
Software Windows 10 Professional
I recently purchased a used MSI GTX1660 Super 6GB DDR6 graphics card, that was purchased within the last year by the original owner. It worked fine initially, but stopped displaying at all within a month. I would normally return it to the seller for a refund, but am at loathe to in the current market, as getting a replacement for the same price will be impossible.

I was advised (by the seller) that RMA replacement might be possible for it since it is in perfect physical condition and not modified or misused in anyway. It still has the sticker and serial number is not obscured. I have seen other similar threads where other people have said MSI will replace a card with only the serial number from the card required, but such information was a couple of years old and may not apply to my location (I am in the UK, but the only reports I see are from USA customers).

Can anyone advise on how likely it is that the card would be accepted for RMA from myself, or would being the second owner of the card invalidate the warranty? Apart from the serial number, is there any other information I could ask the original seller for that might help me have a request accepted?

Secondly, for anyone that has done a RMA recently, are they able to replace the card, if needed, or are the current shortages likely to result in big delays or even denied RMA claims being more likely?

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
why are you asking here? you should ask MSI customer support....what is the worst thing that can happen....they say no? if the card isn't working it's not like you have anything to lose.

warranties are not usually tied to the owner, they are tied to the product through serial numbers for example.

good example, I bought a used xbox 360 off ebay in like ~2006 and got the dreaded red ring of death a bit later. the system was still under warranty, it didn't matter I didn't purchase it directly from Microsoft or Best Buy or where ever. I was able to send it in no problem. Of course, this example was about a super widespread issue impacting a large % of users. the issue you're having needs to be covered by the warranty for them to accept a return. they will surely ask you to jump through some hoops before actually accepting you to return it. "test this" "check that" "is it plugged in?" type of standard patronizing crap like any of their generic solutions ever fix someones issue

Storage Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe 1.92TB PCIE SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB SSD M.2 (SATA MODE)
Mouse Logitech K400
Keyboard Logitech K400
Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect, and gather other peoples opinions who had been in a similar position, before doing it myself, see if there are any pitfalls to avoid and get an idea of if it's even worth trying. From what you say it's at least worth a go...

Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard x570 Extreme 4
Cooling Deepcool AK620 Digital
Memory 2x16 Crucial 3200 Mhz
Video Card(s) 4070 SUPER FE
Storage 500 GB WD SN750 / 870 Evo 500 GB / Kingston 480 GB SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34 aw3418dw / ROG Swift pg27q
Case Corsair 3000D
Power Supply Seasonic V3 1000w
Mouse Model O
Keyboard GMMK Pro w/ SP Magic Girls
Software WIndows 10 Pro
I recently purchased a used MSI GTX1660 Super 6GB DDR6 graphics card, that was purchased within the last year by the original owner. It worked fine initially, but stopped displaying at all within a month. I would normally return it to the seller for a refund, but am at loathe to in the current market, as getting a replacement for the same price will be impossible.

I was advised (by the seller) that RMA replacement might be possible for it since it is in perfect physical condition and not modified or misused in anyway. It still has the sticker and serial number is not obscured. I have seen other similar threads where other people have said MSI will replace a card with only the serial number from the card required, but such information was a couple of years old and may not apply to my location (I am in the UK, but the only reports I see are from USA customers).

Can anyone advise on how likely it is that the card would be accepted for RMA from myself, or would being the second owner of the card invalidate the warranty? Apart from the serial number, is there any other information I could ask the original seller for that might help me have a request accepted?

Secondly, for anyone that has done a RMA recently, are they able to replace the card, if needed, or are the current shortages likely to result in big delays or even denied RMA claims being more likely?
This seems alittle fishy to me that they would suggest RMA it instead of here is your refund. My guess is they noticed it having issues but it still worked so they sold it. I would get my money back before you can't get a refund incase RMAing it doesn't work other either so you are not stuck with a dead card and no money.

This seems alittle fishy to me that they would suggest RMA it instead of here is your refund. My guess is they noticed it having issues but it still worked so they sold it. I would get my money back before you can't get a refund incase RMAing it doesn't work other either so you are not stuck with a dead card and no money.
Try registering the serial number on your MSI account and if it allows you too then you might be in luck for an RMA. Looks like 3 years is still their standard product warranty.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Here in the USA, MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte (not meant to be an exhaustive list) all warranty their cards 3 years from date of manufacturer or date of sale.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASROCK B550 Phantom Gaming ITX
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) LG 32UP83A
Case SSUPD Meshroom S
Audio Device(s) Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-1000
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
I checked on this within the last month or so. For MSI (in the USA at least), if you upload an invoice from an authorized reseller, they will start the 3 year warranty at date of sale. If you do not upload or provide an invoice from an authorized reseller, they will start the 3 year warranty based off date of manufacturing. So you should be fine as long as the card is legitimate, however, I encourage you to look on their website on your own to confirm.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
I do know that MSI has a world wide warranty but it depends on the item. And some companies need a invoice in order to do any RMA. Getting a invoice is simple, google "invoice" and you can make a simple invoice and you can upload it to MSI if they ask for it, I know that EVGA will always ask for a invoice.
I dont have any experience in RMAing a MSI gpu but lots of EVGA GPUs.
Talk to MSI in getting a RMA and fast, your time to return the item might be ending.
Creating a fake invoice (receipt) is probably considered to be fraud in most places. I say this as someone with experience in servicing electronics and professionally handling RMAs.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
The warranty depends on the card, not the owner. Otherwise sellers of used cards won't be advertising them under warranty. As long as it is under warranty, MSI is responsible of making it work properly.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
The warranty depends on the card, not the owner. Otherwise sellers of used cards won't be advertising them under warranty. As long as it is under warranty, MSI is responsible of making it work properly.
Because some hardware companies do not allow transfer of warranties and the ones that do require you to register it. People lie all the time when selling cards. EVGA for example requires registering the card to transfer it plus a sales receipt from the second hand purchase . This is with GPUs and motherboards. Now hard drives and memory are a different matter for some reason.

To the OP, check MSIs website,

Oh and any sales samples are not covered under warranty

Now sometimes you can just call them and ask nicely, if you get the right person maybe they will warranty it. I've had this happen too.

Last edited:
Creating a fake invoice (receipt) is probably considered to be fraud in most places. I say this as someone with experience in servicing electronics and professionally handling RMAs.

If we kept receipt for everything we buy, well you know what a mess that could be. Being honest & truthful is always the best way forward.. If you bought the card second hand, just tell them invoice not accessible.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Had a similar issue with an MSI Radeon VII i purchased off eBay 12 months ago. Came up with Code 43 so I contacted (MSI Australia) and they said the serial number was covered by a 12 month warranty. Or was it 36, Can remember now.. : (

Anyhow they replaced it with a 2080 Super because they didn't manufacture Radeon VII's any more.

So, the serial number will tell you whether or not it will be covered by MSI's internal warranty.

Mouse Logitech K400
Keyboard Logitech K400
Hope they replace mine with a 2080 Super too :laugh: