• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tips on transporting matx pc on a plane?

So im planning to move out in a couple of weeks and i have a 27inch monitor with a matx pc that i'm bringing with me. My old build was a matx case as well and i transported it safely over the plane as well but that was with a ryzen stock cooler. So now i'm using a 240mm aio id cooling zoomflow 240x. Do i need to take off the aio? I didnt take off the ryzen stock cooler back then. I'm planning to use the original pc box with everything in it except the gpu. I'm going to put the gpu back to its original box. I have no hdd as well so i think i should be okay. As for the monitor, i have no idea how do i transport the money. I brought back a 24inch monitor before but that was because it could fit in my luggage this 27 inch cant. Oh yeah i forgot to mention, these will be checked in luggage so no hand carry.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I am assuming youre shipping this pc.
Ive shipped many pc’s with both custom water cooling & aio’s installed. Either can be done safely, as long as you ship/pack it smart.

i always filled the inside of the pc with crumpled news paper, or certain types of plastic or foam that is not static producing. Cardboard also works. The point it to secure heavy things like video cards, as well as things that might shift with momentum.
A easy cheat, is to watch a few unboxing videos of prebuilt pc’s, then you can see what is done by them to ship safely

you basically want to fill all empty space, with shock absorbing material, & box it well

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
AIO coolers should be fine inside, just fill up all the empty space inside the case and pack it with enough foam so it can withstand several times of falling.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So im planning to move out in a couple of weeks and i have a 27inch monitor with a matx pc that i'm bringing with me. My old build was a matx case as well and i transported it safely over the plane as well but that was with a ryzen stock cooler. So now i'm using a 240mm aio id cooling zoomflow 240x. Do i need to take off the aio? I didnt take off the ryzen stock cooler back then. I'm planning to use the original pc box with everything in it except the gpu. I'm going to put the gpu back to its original box. I have no hdd as well so i think i should be okay. As for the monitor, i have no idea how do i transport the money. I brought back a 24inch monitor before but that was because it could fit in my luggage this 27 inch cant. Oh yeah i forgot to mention, these will be checked in luggage so no hand carry.

if it were me, I would take out the cooler, gpu, any parts that can move, i'd even take out the ram. you can leave cpu in its arm socket with the lever down keeping it secure.

i'd then just wrap my clothes around the other pc parts, that way they don't take up to much luggage space with separate packaging material. i mean how hard it is it to buy a cheap screwdriver and put everything back once you are moved in safely wherever you going. i wouldn't risk it otherwise, also not sure but planes may not allow AIO coolers, unless its the undercarriage story, even then I am not sure... you may have to mail the AIO separately

i live on the side of better safe than sorry... so yeah i wouldn't risk leaving it all attached personally, especially if the plan gets bad turbulence or something.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
With no hdd and gpu in its own box it sounds safe to me, put I love Baggage Handlers stickers/tags on your cpu bag and prepare it to be dropped hard a few times (pad it with your clothes like someone mentioned). If you put the stickers on they're less likely to throw it hard as they rush to load everything.

Monitor is my only concern, do you have some extra plastic that can help shield the screen from an impact or a hard case it fits in? It's probably better to sell it and buy another where you're going because the screens are very sensitive to physical impact.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
With no hdd and gpu in its own box it sounds safe to me, put I love Baggage Handlers stickers/tags on your cpu bag and prepare it to be dropped hard a few times (pad it with your clothes like someone mentioned). If you put the stickers on they're less likely to throw it hard as they rush to load everything.

Monitor is my only concern, do you have some extra plastic that can help shield the screen from an impact or a hard case it fits in? It's probably better to sell it and buy another where you're going because the screens are very sensitive to physical impact.

if he has an undercarriage luggage he could wrap a bunch of clothes around it, if its right in the middle surrounded by nothing but clothes tightly it should be fine.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
You haven't provided any specs whatsoever. Kinda important when talking about taking desktops on air travel. What/how big is this mATX case - is it a 19L Cerberus or a 41L Define Mini? You say it'll be checked luggage, so reason to need to take AIO off then, since you're not dealing with carry-on fluids restrictions (and even then it's not as much of an issue nowadays). Frankly an AIO is preferable to a gigantic air cooler for transportation purposes.

But really, if you value your PC you'll need to treat it like a company would ship a prebuilt, and take the same precautions. Take heavy triple-slot GPUs out, or use those expanding InstaPak padding / "airbags" to ensure that all the empty space inside the case is filled. I'd package it like a prebuilt as well. Do all of the above precautions to protect the inside of the computer, then use the mATX case's original box with the original styrofoam packaging, fill it to make sure there's no empty space/wiggle room inside the cardboard box.

If this case is as big as I'm guessing it is, I really wouldn't just throw it in a suitcase and wrap it with clothes and towels. As a carry-on? Sure. As checked baggage? That's not going to make an ounce of difference in protection unless there's a 1-foot thick layer of towels in there.

At least on the SFF scene, having to check your PC in as checked luggage, without proper packaging, whether intentionally or unintentionally (when you don't plan ahead and it doesn't qualify as a carry-on) basically means to expect your PC to be damaged. There are things that baggage handlers do, that not even a properly kitted out Pelican case can save a computer from.

As for a monitor as large as a 27", I'd do the same - fully packaged into the original box and checked in as such. Smaller monitor you could conceivably throw into a bag - 27" is on the large side for that.

Communicate to the baggage/check-in agent what is in the box and the importance of handling it with care. If you throw either the PC or monitor into a suitcase, this will not be something they can help you with. Should be no issue with the proper markings, heads up to airline employees, and fragile stickers, as it'll be clearly identifiable as a monitor from the box, just as properly packaging the PC itself would allow employees and handlers to clearly recognize what's in the box.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
if it were me, I would take out the cooler, gpu, any parts that can move, i'd even take out the ram. you can leave cpu in its arm socket with the lever down keeping it secure.

i'd then just wrap my clothes around the other pc parts, that way they don't take up to much luggage space with separate packaging material. i mean how hard it is it to buy a cheap screwdriver and put everything back once you are moved in safely wherever you going. i wouldn't risk it otherwise, also not sure but planes may not allow AIO coolers, unless its the undercarriage story, even then I am not sure... you may have to mail the AIO separately

i live on the side of better safe than sorry... so yeah i wouldn't risk leaving it all attached personally, especially if the plan gets bad turbulence or something.

Well except for the cloths part, maybe if he got his hands on some anti static bags first.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Well except for the cloths part, maybe if he got his hands on some anti static bags first.

Aye, this do be true. I didn't think of that, I still keep all of that stuff for all my cards so I think it just comes to naturally to me when they are in storage or whatever to do so.

I am assuming youre shipping this pc.
Ive shipped many pc’s with both custom water cooling & aio’s installed. Either can be done safely, as long as you ship/pack it smart.

i always filled the inside of the pc with crumpled news paper, or certain types of plastic or foam that is not static producing. Cardboard also works. The point it to secure heavy things like video cards, as well as things that might shift with momentum.
A easy cheat, is to watch a few unboxing videos of prebuilt pc’s, then you can see what is done by them to ship safely

you basically want to fill all empty space, with shock absorbing material, & box it well
Thanks for this tip, i might use some newspaper then

AIO coolers should be fine inside, just fill up all the empty space inside the case and pack it with enough foam so it can withstand several times of falling.

if he has an undercarriage luggage he could wrap a bunch of clothes around it, if its right in the middle surrounded by nothing but clothes tightly it should be fine.
Im planning to put the pc in the case box with it's original foam. It's not the hard polystyrene foam, it's the other softer foam. I'm not sure how to describe it lol. Fill the empty spaces with anything i can find like bubble wraps and papers. Then finally, bubble wrap the whole box itself. Does that sound okay?

You haven't provided any specs whatsoever. Kinda important when talking about taking desktops on air travel. What/how big is this mATX case - is it a 19L Cerberus or a 41L Define Mini? You say it'll be checked luggage, so reason to need to take AIO off then, since you're not dealing with carry-on fluids restrictions (and even then it's not as much of an issue nowadays). Frankly an AIO is preferable to a gigantic air cooler for transportation purposes.

But really, if you value your PC you'll need to treat it like a company would ship a prebuilt, and take the same precautions. Take heavy triple-slot GPUs out, or use those expanding InstaPak padding / "airbags" to ensure that all the empty space inside the case is filled. I'd package it like a prebuilt as well. Do all of the above precautions to protect the inside of the computer, then use the mATX case's original box with the original styrofoam packaging, fill it to make sure there's no empty space/wiggle room inside the cardboard box.

If this case is as big as I'm guessing it is, I really wouldn't just throw it in a suitcase and wrap it with clothes and towels. As a carry-on? Sure. As checked baggage? That's not going to make an ounce of difference in protection unless there's a 1-foot thick layer of towels in there.

At least on the SFF scene, having to check your PC in as checked luggage, without proper packaging, whether intentionally or unintentionally (when you don't plan ahead and it doesn't qualify as a carry-on) basically means to expect your PC to be damaged. There are things that baggage handlers do, that not even a properly kitted out Pelican case can save a computer from.

As for a monitor as large as a 27", I'd do the same - fully packaged into the original box and checked in as such. Smaller monitor you could conceivably throw into a bag - 27" is on the large side for that.

Communicate to the baggage/check-in agent what is in the box and the importance of handling it with care. If you throw either the PC or monitor into a suitcase, this will not be something they can help you with. Should be no issue with the proper markings, heads up to airline employees, and fragile stickers, as it'll be clearly identifiable as a monitor from the box, just as properly packaging the PC itself would allow employees and handlers to clearly recognize what's in the box.
My bad. Here's my specs.
Tecware Forge M Stealth matx case
Corsair cx550m
Id cooling zoomflow 240x aio
Patriot viper 8gb 3200mhz ram
Asus tuf b550m mobo
ryzen 5 3600

This is the link for my case. I dont think i can just shove it into a luggage lol

Space Lynx

Astronaut
do what you want, I wouldn't risk it. there is still lots of moving around going on, i would at least remove the AIO cooler and gpu and wrap them up in anti static stuff and then surround them with clothes tightly...

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Im planning to put the pc in the case box with it's original foam. It's not the hard polystyrene foam, it's the other softer foam. I'm not sure how to describe it lol. Fill the empty spaces with anything i can find like bubble wraps and papers. Then finally, bubble wrap the whole box itself. Does that sound okay?

My bad. Here's my specs.
Tecware Forge M Stealth matx case
Corsair cx550m
Id cooling zoomflow 240x aio
Patriot viper 8gb 3200mhz ram
Asus tuf b550m mobo
ryzen 5 3600

This is the link for my case. I dont think i can just shove it into a luggage lol

Good call on shipping in the box, but use proper padding inside the computer. InstaPak like I mentioned, or those inflatable packaging air bags that come in a roll. Although I don't know if bubble wrapping the box is necessary or helpful (lol).

The case looks reasonably compact. Is it feasible to bring it as a carry-on using something like this (Amazon.com: CURMIO Desktop Computer Travel Bag, Carrying Case for Computer Tower PC Chassis, Keyboard, Cable and Mouse, Bag Only, Black: Computers & Accessories)? It's rare for airlines to have generous weight/dimensions limits for carry-ons, but they definitely exist (e.g. British Airways).

Are you flying domestically/regionally, or are you "moving out" overseas? If this is a long trip and you reckon you may have to make a return trip, it's probably a much better idea to consider a upgrade/sidegrade to a ITX motherboard and a smaller case that you can put in a backpack.

Good call on shipping in the box, but use proper padding inside the computer. InstaPak like I mentioned, or those inflatable packaging air bags that come in a roll. Although I don't know if bubble wrapping the box is necessary or helpful (lol).

The case looks reasonably compact. Is it feasible to bring it as a carry-on using something like this (Amazon.com: CURMIO Desktop Computer Travel Bag, Carrying Case for Computer Tower PC Chassis, Keyboard, Cable and Mouse, Bag Only, Black: Computers & Accessories)? It's rare for airlines to have generous weight/dimensions limits for carry-ons, but they definitely exist (e.g. British Airways).

Are you flying domestically/regionally, or are you "moving out" overseas? If this is a long trip and you reckon you may have to make a return trip, it's probably a much better idea to consider a upgrade/sidegrade to a ITX motherboard and a smaller case that you can put in a backpack.
Wow that carry on looks interesting. I'll search for it on my local shopping sites. But instapak is quite expensive here so ill use some papers to substitute it. I'm just moving out to my university. It might be a while till i return here so i dont think ill sidegrade to an itx build because im very sensitive about thermals. As for the airlines, i have no idea since i'm in southeast asia. There is a limit to 7kg hand carry but they never checked it so i dont think im willing to risk it in case they happen to check on that day. Thanks for the help so far

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Wow that carry on looks interesting. I'll search for it on my local shopping sites. But instapak is quite expensive here so ill use some papers to substitute it. I'm just moving out to my university. It might be a while till i return here so i dont think ill sidegrade to an itx build because im very sensitive about thermals. As for the airlines, i have no idea since i'm in southeast asia. There is a limit to 7kg hand carry but they never checked it so i dont think im willing to risk it in case they happen to check on that day. Thanks for the help so far

Seems like you're thinking based on circa 2014 understanding of ITX case thermals...lol. A Cooler Master NR200 is a breezy ITX case that isn't too big and isn't very expensive either. You can probably get something cheap like this, which I have for my NCASE M1 and HT5, (Accu-Case F4 Par Bag (adj.com)) for carrying it. The major board vendors seem to still be making their B450 ITX boards, which are all more than suitable for a 3600, which in itself will easily run just fine on even the stock Wraith Stealth.

7kg is too restrictive, I'm thinking something more along the lines of BA's 23kg limit, of which you will probably need every ounce for a desktop. Are you just moving within Asia, or overseas?

Seems like you're thinking based on circa 2014 understanding of ITX case thermals...lol. A Cooler Master NR200 is a breezy ITX case that isn't too big and isn't very expensive either. You can probably get something cheap like this, which I have for my NCASE M1 and HT5, (Accu-Case F4 Par Bag (adj.com)) for carrying it. The major board vendors seem to still be making their B450 ITX boards, which are all more than suitable for a 3600, which in itself will easily run just fine on even the stock Wraith Stealth.

7kg is too restrictive, I'm thinking something more along the lines of BA's 23kg limit, of which you will probably need every ounce for a desktop. Are you just moving within Asia, or overseas?
Im moving from east malaysia to west malaysia so basically same country but over the ocean. I think my best option here is to pack them well in their original box and check in as cargo on the plane

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
When I moved to Norway I had my mid-tower as my carry on...hauling it around airports wasn’t ideal but I knew it was at least safe.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Sadly i don't think i can carry them as carry on. Rip
Yeah this was almost 20 years ago now They opened it up, swabbed it etc and sent me on my way. But I mean laptops get through they just made me turn it on. At least my case fit in the overhead compartment yours would be a breeze.