• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Damaged 5900X & AiO plating after TG Kryonaut

Such warning should appear in the grease package!

Put this to inform customer he using it at his own risk.

And they are not so micro, as mine, rdwing and others pics showed..
It seems like i explained it not carefully enough. With micro scratches im referring to scratches which are mostly not even visible and are on most coolers even if they are fresh out of the box. If you look at a bottom of a cooler they are never 100% plain, more like 99,8%, you will always see some rings on them. The scratches you are facing are a whole different category, but are still not affecting the performance in any way.

Jannik - Thermal Grizzly

I still assume had the product wouldn't cause friction, the oxides are in suspension in a viscous state. The only explanation is fast curing "evaporation" like it happens with diamond pastes, though it ought to accompany a loss of conductance and tim failure upon its discovery.

rdwing

Well I can confirm that I did hear from Jannik. I guess there is some problems from TG email servers to gmail. I really suggest looking at better email service. Sounds like this will get resolved finally. Thanks,

xdk

To update the case, I finally received compensation offer from Thermal Grizzly, but that is unappropiate low value, so I waiting for the response.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
can i ask what do you expect to get ?
we dont know the offer so ?

i mean serious it will not affect your cpu nor the cooling performance-that is not to say it sucks that it happened.

Last edited:
System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
To update the case, I finally received compensation offer from Thermal Grizzly, but that is unappropiate low value, so I waiting for the response.
If i were you i wouldnt share any compensation offer publicly. Otherwise you will leave yourself open to being judged unfairly.
Just my 2c.

xdk

If i were you i wouldnt share any compensation offer publicly. Otherwise you will leave yourself open to being judged unfairly.
Just my 2c.
Of course, just wanted to update that TG Support reacted and started work to resolve this.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
seems like your are blowing this a bit out of proportion

sounds like the shop you bought it from sold you old stock and didn't adhere to the recall

the last cases I have seen of this where over a year ago and where also due to people getting ahold of old stock

there has been a handful of cases of this its not a wide spread issue and only affected a few thousand units pre-recall

the issue is purely cosmetic anyway does TG owe you some compensation, Probly
should they pay to replace your cooler and cpu FUCK NO

and this situation is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT then IC-Diamond the issue with IC-Diamond wasn't so much the damaged caused but the entirely childish and unprofessional manner it was handled,
as well the the ceo of the dam company coming here and having a complete Streisand monument meltdown

Last edited:

xdk

I want to add, that I didn't receive together with compensation offer any apology word or they didn't express regret for what their product caused, which is rather unusual in such cases, and their compensation offer was unappropiate low, just like take some $$ and stay quiet, I have a feeling TG doesn't feel very guilty for their premium product, and that now they working to proof in their way that was not Kryo fault, instead of send appropiate compensations to end this. They said sthg about "internal tests" and "many scams after bad batch", so Im almost sure that soon they'll post some "proofs" from laboratory environemt that Kryonaut couldn't cause damage posted here and there etc. etc. But I wasn't asked to hire for tests my Kryonaut tube, my CPU and rest of my hardware so. Interesting if I predicted them and with what they will come back.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
All they really owe you is a replacement thermal paste

cosmetic damage is not that big a deal, unlike the IC diamond you havent had the serial numbers gouged out or anything - and as they said, they've had a lot of scammers do exactly this make a few scratches and demand large sums of money

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I want to add, that I didn't receive together with compensation offer any apology word or they didn't express regret for what their product caused, which is rather unusual in such cases, and their compensation offer was unappropiate low, just like take some $$ and stay quiet, I have a feeling TG doesn't feel very guilty for their premium product, and that now they working to proof in their way that was not Kryo fault, instead of send appropiate compensations to end this. They said sthg about "internal tests" and "many scams after bad batch", so Im almost sure that soon they'll post some "proofs" from laboratory environemt that Kryonaut couldn't cause damage posted here and there etc. etc. But I wasn't asked to hire for tests my Kryonaut tube, my CPU and rest of my hardware so. Interesting if I predicted them and with what they will come back.
see now you are just speculating. thing is borderline disparaging remarks do not strengthen your case only weaken it

you keep mentioning the offer was inappropriately low much was the offer exactly ?. because you are giving the impression of somebody that is not looking for fair compensation but looking to profit off the situation

my honest opinion is that thermal grizzly did the best they could with the recall and its up to the retailer to ensure that the stock is sent back to them and not out to customers
I promise you they never even bothered to check there stock for recalled units and send them back

also there is certain people that do take advantage of stuff like this and attempt to get the manufacture to pay for damage not related to there product.
I mean after all how do you prove that the product in question caused the damage.
how do you prove that the guy with the IHS that looks like it was attacked by a rabid badger was accually using your product and not sandpaper

xdk

All they really owe you is a replacement thermal paste

cosmetic damage is not that big a deal, unlike the IC diamond you havent had the serial numbers gouged out or anything - and as they said, they've had a lot of scammers do exactly this make a few scratches and demand large sums of money
Replacement thermal paste because? So agree its failed? So no, technically and literally zero warning what it can do. Or it's not suppose do to it. So, theoretically, new replacement paste and damaged hardware. I have in the a$$ u think its cosmetic, i see it IRL, i didnt agrees for that and wouldnt happen with different grease. Simple. Sad but True my TG friend.

@OneMore the sandpaper doesn't make the pitting u should see on the pics, what is odd they look very simillar in other threads "Kryonaut scratching".

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I got news for you all thermal-paste is somewhat abrasive if it wasn't it would not work very well as thermal paste :)90% of all the compounds used in thermal paste are either silica, ceramic or metallic

I would accept the money and upgrade to liquid metal. There. Everyone's happy.

xdk

I got news for you all thermal-paste is somewhat abrasive if it wasn't it would not work very well as thermal paste :)90% of all the compounds used in thermal paste are either silica, ceramic or metallic
So why when I used Kryonaut before, or NT-H1, GC Extreme, CM's and Arctic greases, they were never abrassive and leaved IHS and coldplate in perfect condition? Because now I picked sandpaper or drill to fondle 1000$ 5900X to get 200$ compensation? OK.

@mtcn77 u should google to see what LM doing with IHS and where/when u should apply it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Replacement thermal paste because? So agree its failed? So no, technically and literally zero warning what it can do. Or it's not suppose do to it. So, theoretically, new replacement paste and damaged hardware. I have in the a$$ u think its cosmetic, i see it IRL, i didnt agrees for that and wouldnt happen with different grease. Simple. Sad but True my TG friend.

@OneMore the sandpaper doesn't make the pitting u should see on the pics, what is odd they look very simillar in other threads "Kryonaut scratching".
?
By definition cosmetic means you can see it. either there's a language barrier here or you're just getting hostile over nothing - i dont even know what "i have in the ass" is meant to mean, but beware insulting other members here.

That pitting you see is purely visible, has not voided your warranty on CPU or cooler and very likely wont affect the cooling of them either... so that means its cosmetic damage, not functional damage or something to void your warranties. What are you asking for? Do you want replacement thermal paste? some sandpaper? a brand new CPU? What are you expecting from TG, here?

Have you confirmed you got one of the bad batches, or was it an assumption? User error can also genuinely happen here

xdk

:laugh:
If they offered you $200, they offered you way too much.
They offered 150€ for 80€ brand new price Noctua cooler in other thread, just read all before post.

I didn't told what they offered, I know its fragile topic. Of course and I think its obvious that I would like to have undamaged both such expensive and rare CPU (almost impossible to find in stock already), and the cooler. How recently these components come to me, and almost new hardware looks already battle scarred. To compare, before getting 5900X I owned much lower price 3900X for longer time, where I changed coolers and grease many times, and still it looked like brand new at sell time. No doubt if I would like to sell CPU and cooler now as briefy used, it would be suspicious for potential buyer and solid point to lower resell value. How you don't look at this, I'm injuried.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11

They offered 150€ for 80€ brand new price Noctua cooler in other thread, just read all before post.

I didn't told what they offered, I know its fragile topic. Of course I would like to have undamaged both components as how recently they come to me, and almost new hardware looks already battle scarred. To compare, before getting 5900X I owned much lower price 3900X which I changed coolers and grease many times, and still it looked like brand new at sell time. No doubt if I would like to sell CPU and cooler now as briefy used, it would be suspicious for potential buyer and solid point to lower resell value. How you don't look at this, I'm injuried.

I am having a trouble time understanding you. It must be a language barrier. I know you are trying to explain why you feel the compensation isn't enough, but can you kindly give a breakdown as to how it isn't enough?

So you are saying that someone got 150 euro's for a 80 euro cooler and you are wanting similar compensation for your cooler, is this correct? You have said it is insufficient but you haven't really made clear how or why.

Just to get some clarity - are you wanting them to pay you for both a new processor and a new AIO?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
175.00 usd is way more then I thought they would offer
as for resell value your point is shaky at best cosmetic damage very rarely effects price, in this market with the scarcity you are still likely to get more then msrp

this thread is going no-ware its just turned into a public name and shame

House79

I didn't told what they offered, I know its fragile topic. Of course and I think its obvious that I would like to have undamaged both such expensive and rare CPU (almost impossible to find in stock already), and the cooler. How recently these components come to me, and almost new hardware looks already battle scarred. To compare, before getting 5900X I owned much lower price 3900X for longer time, where I changed coolers and grease many times, and still it looked like brand new at sell time. No doubt if I would like to sell CPU and cooler now as briefy used, it would be suspicious for potential buyer and solid point to lower resell value. How you don't look at this, I'm injuried.
What about temps after and before those scratches on ryzen? Have they changed significantly? I have the same scratches on my 5900x after using kryonout

It seems like i explained it not carefully enough. With micro scratches im referring to scratches which are mostly not even visible and are on most coolers even if they are fresh out of the box. If you look at a bottom of a cooler they are never 100% plain, more like 99,8%, you will always see some rings on them. The scratches you are facing are a whole different category, but are still not affecting the performance in any way.

Jannik - Thermal Grizzly
I'm having the same issue, same scratches on my 5900x after kryonout

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
If the scratches come up as an issue for an rma claim then it's a problem otherwise don't use thermal grizzly kryonaut.