• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP OEM 3080 BIOS flashing - For BAR support

Mansen

TLDR; HP hasn't released a BIOS update for their 3080 cards (and I doubt they ever will - It's HP), so I am currently stuck with a reference 3080 card that there is no official tool to update with.

Can anyone help me identify the actual manufacturer (I have been informed HP don't actually make the PCBs and just rebrand other partners like PNY with their own logos), so I can flash the card to said manufacturer going forward? So that I can get a BAR supported BIOS (and maybe get a slightly better BIOS in general)

I'd rather not go in blind cause the card is currently waterblocked and in a loop. So if I end up with a non-posting card, it's going to take hours to mend and re-flash. (Especially given how my motherboard currently does not work with Riser cables due to a less than awesome ASRock BIOS update)

Attachments

• HP_OEM_GPUZ.gif
    HP_OEM_GPUZ.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 258
  • HP_OEM_GA102.zip
    397.8 KB · Views: 93

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You've got a HP branded 3080? Did that come in a prebuilt gaming system?

System Name FATTYDOVE-R-SPEC
Processor Intel i9 10980XE
Motherboard EVGA X299 Dark
Cooling Water (1x 240mm, 1x 280mm, 1x 420mm + 2x Mo-Ra 360 external radiator)
Memory 64GB DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Super / RTX 3090
Storage Crucial MX500
Display(s) 24", 1440p, freesync, 144hz
Case Open Benchtable (OBT)
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA Supernova T2 1600W
Mouse OG steelseries Sensei
Keyboard steelseries 6Gv2
Software Windows 10
Did you try the Nvidia tool yet? It should tell you if it is not supported by your card, but my Vendor (Inno3D) linked me to it as I have a reference pcb 3090 (NOT Founders Edition) and it did it for me.

EDIT: nvm just figured out that HP is not a supported vendor by Nvidia.

Mansen

Sure did - Consider it my desperate way to grab a 3080 in a country where they are rarer than minted gold bars.'

It's 100% ref PCB (Got an EK Classic block on it atm) but HP's silkscreened their logo and serial numbers on it.

Did you try the Nvidia tool yet? It should tell you if it is not supported by your card, but my Vendor (Inno3D) linked me to it as I have a reference pcb 3090 (NOT Founders Edition) and it did it for me.

Given how the BIOS is rebranded by HP (I assume only the header info?) none of the official brand tools will work. They all put the card into hibernation, then go "Not our card, contact manufacturer". Yes - All of the tools.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Given how the BIOS is rebranded by HP (I assume only the header info?) none of the official brand tools will work. They all put the card into hibernation, then go "Not our card, contact manufacturer". Yes - All of the tools.
That sounds really frustrating. Looks like a risky BIOS flash is the only solution. Not sure it's worth the risk to be honest, but it's your call.

Mansen

That's exactly why I made this thread - To see if anyone could help figure out who made the card based on the BIOS and information. So I try the least risky flash.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
HP hasn't released a BIOS update for their 3080 cards
youre not missing anything.

its certainly not worth ANY risk, even the most minimal, unless you do some very important activity , which will benefit enough from BAR support that it is worth the value of the device or more.

im not trying to discourage you updating, im just telling you ther will be no discernable change after updating over before, unless what i posted above is true

Mansen

Games need to be coded specifically to utilize BAR - That much is true. But that only means there isn't anything to gain - Today.
Tomorrow is another case - And I genuinely am not holding my breath that HP will ever address this. So... hoping I can convert the card to another brand BIOSwise and keep it there.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
You're right about wanting the RBAR functionality. TPU has reviewed it and it can give massive performance gains at 1080p, enough to lift the performance of the graphics card up to the next tier. Nobody would want to leave that much performance on the table.

Again, it's that risk and whether you can successfully RMA it should it get bricked. You'd have to send the whole PC in though, not just the card, another factor to consider. I dunno, it's a tough call and I certainly wouldn't wanna feel shut out of an important feature just because I'd bought the "wrong" brand. I'd probably live with it though, unless I could be damn near certain that I could flash it without bricking it.

Last edited:

Mansen

I'll be honest - I've never heard of people literally bricking cards like this. Only needing to flash them while another cards is main card.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'd rather not go in blind cause the card is currently waterblocked and in a loop. So if I end up with a non-posting card, it's going to take hours to mend and re-flash. (Especially given how my motherboard currently does not work with Riser cables due to a less than awesome ASRock BIOS update)
There's your problem, it's not the Bios update it's the riser.
Set the PCI-e version to 3 and the riser should work.

Mansen

There's your problem, it's not the Bios update it's the riser.
Set the PCI-e version to 3 and the riser should work.

1. Entirely irrelevant to the thread topic.
2. You must think very little of me, if you're telling me to "turn it on and off". Of course I made sure to both reset the CMOS fully and set it to Gen3 fallback. Still isn't working after BIOS was updated. Sure I could rollback, but I'm waiting for the "AMD USB Fix" AGESA update anyhow so cba to rollback my BIOS.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
1. Entirely irrelevant to the thread topic.
2. You must think very little of me, if you're telling me to "turn it on and off". Of course I made sure to both reset the CMOS fully and set it to Gen3 fallback. Still isn't working after BIOS was updated. Sure I could rollback, but I'm waiting for the "AMD USB Fix" AGESA update anyhow so cba to rollback my BIOS.
Actually it's totally relevant to this topic as you brought it up, and with that attitude, sionara baby, good luck.

Mansen

But it IS entirely irrelevant to the topic - Allowing my Riser cable to work doesn't in any way help identify my card's vBIOS or in any way assist in getting BAR to run. :wtf:

Also it's Sayonara - Since apparently we're being eltist and childish here. (Great forum Y'all have!)

Anyway... before this derails completely.

My end goal is to get BAR support. And since HP is unlikely to get get around to releasing a BIOS update, find a different reference BIOS to replace the one HP slapped onto my card, so I can have BAR support - Hoping to get a qualified guess based on my GPU-Z, BIOS dump and PCB pics (though I assume these won't help at all since it's... well Reference)

My situation with the Riser and motherboard fallback is more of a "This is why I am not just blindly flashing whatever I can grab from the web".

Attachments

• oem_3080_front.jpg
    oem_3080_front.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 175
  • oem_3080_back.jpg
    oem_3080_back.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 195
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Honestly, it should crossflash fine to an nvidia reference bios from the database using the right nvflash that can crossflash.

Should being the key word here.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Honestly, it should crossflash fine to an nvidia reference bios from the database using the right nvflash that can crossflash.

Should being the key word here.

Since it appears to be totally vanilla, then a forced cross flash to an nvidia branded bios is probably going to be your only way out. And given that HP won't likely do it anytime soon (no surprise they are glacial in everything including enterprise) then it's likely also your only realistic way forward.

Any BIOS flash even sanctioned is at risk.

Honestly if I was in this situation, I'd be wanting to flash the card to non-HP to avoid having to deal with this exact BS in the future - I find it weird though that the HP firmware seems explicitly not-supported by tools. If it's a reference card then I'd be looking to see what would likely be the most common and likely supported firmware (founder's edition bios?) and try that.

NOTE: that is just a guess, I don't actually know if the Founder's Edition bios is compatible with your card.

But that said - again - this early in the game is the risk worth it "just" for BAR support. Only you can decide that. There is a slim chance there is a reason they made the bios "blacklisted" but...

Mansen

Yeah that's the thing. I don't think Founder Cards are comparable to Ref cards at all. I'd need to flash it to one of the reference partner BIOS'es... the question is... which one. Kind of wish I could figure out who made the actual card and let HP firebrand it with their logos and BIOS header edits (the last being an assumption on my part)

Unless of course someone here knows from experience that "Ref is Ref" and I should essentially be able to overwrite using any BIOS that comes from a card without any PCB modifications (and thus no issues with different hardware power limits or the likes)

I've ordered some more softtubing and grabbed a second Riser cable - And ASRock have finally gotten around to releasing a Beta BIOS for my Motherboard that incidentally also fixes the "AMD USB" issue. So I might be able to flash the motherboard first, get my Riser working and essentially be able to throw caution to the wind by POST'ing using a secondary card and leaving the "braindead" 3080 in a slave mode, letting me re-flash it indefinitely till something sticks.

D

Deleted member 205776

I'd rather keep a functioning card (a very rare one mind you) rather than risk doing something stupid over a literal marketing gimmick/e-peen points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mansen

I mean... it isn't just a gimmick.

It may not have a lot of relevance for most games out now - And that makes sense, cause games need to be written to make use of the BAR. Like how Gears of War gains a significant performance boost. AND it has the side effect of me getting away from the "HP" aspect of the card. :laugh:

Anyway ... Not much to do till parts arrive, so I can more safely flash the card and not end up with a Ryzen system with no functioning GPU.

D

Deleted member 205776

Yes, keyword now. During the GPUpocalypse.

I'm sure the headaches you'll spend trying to fix a broken card won't be worth the extra 1 FPS if it works.

Mansen

I mean - Worst case I can re-flash it with another GPU in the PC, no?

Admittedly it's been a hot moment since I last tried BIOS flashing GPUs, but I don't remember being able to literally brick a card with something this tame. It's not like I'm tossing an experimental, modded BIOS on the card, just another reference one from another manufacturer. I'm expecting to need to toss in a GPU from my secondary PC to get image, and then re-run NVFLASH as many times as needed to make the HP 3080 POST properly? Feel free to correct me.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Cmon guys, why are you trying to talk him out of it? He's already decided he wants to do it and weighed up the risk, bios modding and info is one of TPU's strengths.

I think you're on the right path getting a different card in as the primary and thus being able to flash the 3080 as a slave till you get it right, it seems the least risky given you always have the stock bios to flash back on if needed.