• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with headphone not detecting on windows and no sound from speakers on laptop

insantus

Hello, I recently replaced the motherboard on my toshiba z40-a laptop and after replacing it i notice i don't get no sound from the speakers neither when i plug in a headphone, the laptop doesn't detect a headphone is plugged on windows. i have tried everything i could find online:

- Reinstalling Realtek audio driver
- Uninstalling Realtek audio driver then restarting laptop
- Disable enhancements in sound settings
- Changing Realtek audio driver to high definition restarting then still nothing
- Unplugging speaker cable and headphone cable reconnecting them back still nothing.

But when i use a bluetooth speaker to connect via bluetooth i hear sound playing. What could be causing this issue to happen where i don't hear any sound from the speakers and the laptop doesn't detect when a headphone is plugged in but when i connect a bluetooth speaker to the laptop, i hear sound?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Did you check all ribbon cables were inserted and locked in correctly when you reassembled the laptop?

insantus

Did you check all ribbon cables were inserted and locked in correctly when you reassembled the laptop?
Yes i did, i took off the speakers and the connector for the hdmi and headphone jack and they are placed correctly

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member

insantus

Check device manager for any exclamation points (!).
Run the Device troubleshooter for the audio and sound. (with admin rights):
Fix sound problems in Windows 10
How to quickly troubleshoot your Windows 10 audio
How to Fix Sound Problems in Windows 10

If it still won't work.
I would send the MB back, from where you got it, for replacement (RMA), that is, if you are sure, you connected it correctly and get no sound from the ports.
I have tried all the options on the link and still nothing, i check all the connections and still nothing, i suspect its a problem with the motherboard itself sadly so i will have to send it back for a replacement. What is interesting is i dont hear no sound from speakers and headphones don't even show detected on my computer but when i connect a bluetooth speaker or headphones to the computer, i hear sound.

System Name The Worker/ Laptop
Processor Ryzen 5 3600/ i5 1035g1
Motherboard MSI b450 Tomahawk Max / Lenovo proprietary
Cooling Arctic Freezer 33 eSport One
Memory 16Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz Corsair vengeance LPX / 12gb ddr4 3200Mhz (4gb are soldered :( )
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx 1660 Ti OC @2030Mhz core and 7400Mhz memory / Intel G1 UHD
Storage 1 970Evo plus 500gb, 2x250Gb Samsung 850 Evo,3 TB HDD / 250gb WD SN530
Display(s) Asus mx259h / 15.6 FHD TN
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply CoolerMaster G750M
Software W10 64bit
Hello, I recently replaced the motherboard on my toshiba z40-a laptop and after replacing it i notice i don't get no sound from the speakers neither when i plug in a headphone, the laptop doesn't detect a headphone is plugged on windows. i have tried everything i could find online:

- Reinstalling Realtek audio driver
- Uninstalling Realtek audio driver then restarting laptop
- Disable enhancements in sound settings
- Changing Realtek audio driver to high definition restarting then still nothing
- Unplugging speaker cable and headphone cable reconnecting them back still nothing.

But when i use a bluetooth speaker to connect via bluetooth i hear sound playing. What could be causing this issue to happen where i don't hear any sound from the speakers and the laptop doesn't detect when a headphone is plugged in but when i connect a bluetooth speaker to the laptop, i hear sound?
this happened also with my laptop, but in that case I forgot to plug back the cable when I disassembled it.
Have you tried a linux live distro to see if it works? could also be that windows is just broken

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Did you install all the chipset drivers for the new Motherboard also?

insantus

this happened also with my laptop, but in that case I forgot to plug back the cable when I disassembled it.
Have you tried a linux live distro to see if it works? could also be that windows is just broken
I didn't try linux but i did a fresh install of windows 10 and it still did the same thing...
Did you install all the chipset drivers for the new Motherboard also?
I can't seem to find the chipset drivers online for my model, Toshiba Z40-A

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I can't seem to find the chipset drivers online for my model, Toshiba Z40-A
Enter your serial number, or the drop down section where you select the exact model, then navigate to downloads after pressing go.
Edit, It's a Windows 7 laptop so drivers may not be supported if you have installed Windows 10.

insantus

Enter your serial number, or the drop down section where you select the exact model, then navigate to downloads after pressing go.
Edit, It's a Windows 7 laptop so drivers may not be supported if you have installed Windows 10.
Yea windows 10 i got so unfortunately i won't find any chipset for it unless i try downgrading to windows 7 or 8