• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games Store: hundreds of millions of dollars in losses per year

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
We give you games for free, then we hope you pay for over priced DLC's, Yeah right.
some of the games dont even have dlcs lol

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I haven't run across very many DLCs that are even worth buying anyway.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
some of the games dont even have dlcs lol

All the ones i picked up from there do. Some in fact on steam and in the end was just cheaper to buy of Steam or else were.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
All the ones i picked up from there do. Some in fact on steam and in the end was just cheaper to buy of Steam or else were.
well bad luck either way they have given away some amazing games that you dont need to dlc
Gta V
Neo geo
Rollercoaster tycoon 3
Arkham games
a total war sage was free ON LAUNCH

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Well epic launcher is a epic fail. It's in my opinion the worst of all the game launchers, so I try to avoid buying games from there.

The metro exodus was an aw full experience.
I cut not predownload the game, I had to wait for launch day and then all at the same time wanted to get the game. How do you think that ended?
Yes downloading was slow and unstable = no gaming on launch day.

This year I had a problem so I cut not type in "@". Support was no help, I had to reinstall epic launcher before it worked again. But the worst thing is metro exodus vanished from my epic game library this year. Wtf and once again there support was useless. Ended up buying the game again but for steam.

Other launchers have given me a few problems over the years, but nothing line the epic launcher. Yes I am so done with epic now. At least I only buy two games for epic while one of them is gone, the rest is free games.

If others are experience what I have, no wunder they lose money and people getting upset and tired of this bullshit.
You don't need their launcher. 90% of their games work with no launchers. Doesnt that make it better?

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
This is just the movie industry shit again. I don't watch movies, but my wife sometimes does and when Netflix came to market she was a happy camper - yay, the convenience of having everything in one place with one monthly payment. Then everyone and their dog suddenly needs to have their own platform so you have to pay tens if not hundreds of euros a month and give your information to several companies which will leak or just sell it to marketers sooner rather than later. Of you can just pay five euros a month for a VPN and do "you know what" from "you know where".

That's why I made a conscious decision to stick with GOG as my primary source with Steam as a secondary if there's a game which really interests me. Games are not important enough to me to give out my personal data to any bunch dipshits or beg for freebies like a drunk homeless guy. I prefer to keep my dignity, buy only what I actually want and stick to known sources.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
This is just the movie industry shit again. I don't watch movies, but my wife sometimes does and when Netflix came to market she was a happy camper - yay, the convenience of having everything in one place with one monthly payment. Then everyone and their dog suddenly needs to have their own platform so you have to pay tens if not hundreds of euros a month and give your information to several companies which will leak or just sell it to marketers sooner rather than later. Of you can just pay five euros a month for a VPN and do "you know what" from "you know where".

That's why I made a conscious decision to stick with GOG as my primary source with Steam as a secondary if there's a game which really interests me. Games are not important enough to me to give out my personal data to any bunch dipshits or beg for freebies like a drunk homeless guy. I prefer to keep my dignity, buy only what I actually want and stick to known sources.
its not though because it costs money to join those services to watch the movies
I have 7 launchers on my computer and have only payed money to 3 of em cause its not a monthly bill
also if you think grabbing a free game on epic is begging for games is like being a drunk homeless then you must think every single drunk homeless person on the street has at least a mid range pc to run the games epic gives out +a ups cause they wont have any power+ somewhere to charge the ups
I mean if their is a 99% sale of a game does that mean you are begging for a massive discount no
Epic does not take any more personal data then steam and gog
So as i see so comman the only reason to avoid epic is fan boys be fan boys
I know its not as good as steam but their is no reason to ignore it

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
You don't have to store any info on EGS if anyone is concerned that they might be reselling your info.

Epic is the one to choose whether on not to give a game away and the Publisher/Developer gets compensated for each free game given away. Normally these aren't the kind of games that I would pay for so the Publisher/Developer at least is making some money.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
You don't have to store any info on Epic if anyone is concerned that they might be reselling your info.

Epic is the one to choose whether on not to give a game away and the Publisher/Developer gets compensated for each free game given away. Normally these aren't the kind of games that I would pay for so the Publisher/Developer at least is making some money.
Yeah I think at least in rockstars eyed giving GTA away was a good gamble cause the online is a microtransaction hell hole

Processor 9600k
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
VR HMD HTC Vive
its not though because it costs money to join those services to watch the movies
I have 7 launchers on my computer and have only payed money to 3 of em cause its not a monthly bill
also if you think grabbing a free game on epic is begging for games is like being a drunk homeless then you must think every single drunk homeless person on the street has at least a mid range pc to run the games epic gives out +a ups cause they wont have any power+ somewhere to charge the ups
I mean if their is a 99% sale of a game does that mean you are begging for a massive discount no
Epic does not take any more personal data then steam and gog
So as i see so comman the only reason to avoid epic is fan boys be fan boys
I know its not as good as steam but their is no reason to ignore it
You are kind of right, but not really.
The amount of money you have to pay to watch movies is what I meant as a problem. There are now quite a few platforms which fight for exclusive content so you have to sign up for several if you want to access a variety of movies, so the price went up dramatically. Back when it was just Netflix there was only one payment and the convenience factor was very high.
Signing up just to grab whatever for free is just the "drunk homeless guy" move I talked about. Or rich people throwing out coins to grab some slaves if you prefer a more classical way of looking at it.
Yes, Steam takes your personal data. GOG takes your personal data. Now a dozen others want it too, are you sure you just want to throw your private life around for every marketing company to use? Also, if you have so much of their software on your private machine, grab some debugging and process tracing software and check what kind of data they scrape in the background, you'll be unpleasantly surprised.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
You are kind of right, but not really.
The amount of money you have to pay to watch movies is what I meant as a problem. There are now quite a few platforms which fight for exclusive content so you have to sign up for several if you want to access a variety of movies, so the price went up dramatically. Back when it was just Netflix there was only one payment and the convenience factor was very high.
Signing up just to grab whatever for free is just the "drunk homeless guy" move I talked about. Or rich people throwing out coins to grab some slaves if you prefer a more classical way of looking at it.
Yes, Steam takes your personal data. GOG takes your personal data. Now a dozen others want it too, are you sure you just want to throw your private life around for every marketing company to use? Also, if you have so much of their software on your private machine, grab some debugging and process tracing software and check what kind of data they scrape in the background, you'll be unpleasantly surprised.
i mean i am awear what i do online is not private thats why i treat it as public
I mean i did not sign up to epic because of free games i signed up because they where offering better deals (not just free)
and as a non fanboy i just go for whatever is cheaper

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I've picked only the free games there. I'll rather be without a game than buy that exclusive title from there.
Honestly, I'll buy it at EGS over steam as long as it's DRM-free, and a lot of their titles are despite not being marketed as such...

Nothing at steam is DRM free, really. It's just less annoying DRM.

Processor 9600k
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
VR HMD HTC Vive
i mean i am awear what i do online is not private thats why i treat it as public
I mean i did not sign up to epic because of free games i signed up because they where offering better deals (not just free)
and as a non fanboy i just go for whatever is cheaper
Fair enough, to each his own I guess. Personally I use disposable emails or aliases and single use payment cards or gift cards to pay for games, so when a company loses my data (and every company does at some point) no one gets anything of any value, but in general I prefer not to be a product being sold for a few cents by a corporation.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Honestly, I'll buy it at EGS over steam as long as it's DRM-free, and a lot of their titles are despite not being marketed as such...

Nothing at steam is DRM free, really. It's just less annoying DRM.

There are a few games on Steam that don't use the Steam DRM. Mostly older games. It's up to the Publisher whether or not the Steam DRM is used.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Nintendo and Microsoft, got huge audience and an identity amongst competing consoles because of Mario, Zelda, and Halo exclusivity for there consoles
I understand that. But this is PC so.....

But with that said, I am ok using EGS compared to a lot of others because having another launcher, while annoying, isn't really much of a problem. And I tend to get better prices from EGS than I do at Steam.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
They have taken the wrong approach.

The differentiator should be the launcher/store not the exclusives. Snatching up 3rd party exclusives I consider vile and very anti consumer.

Really they should have done this and early on as well.

Achievements, Libraries, Shopping Cart, Reviews and other steam feature parity.
Added social media integration, twitch, youtube, discord etc.
Added achievement points to store points feature.
Added allow rollback game patch feature. (control in hands of user not dev).

Thats a starter point, my point is there is areas steam is lacking, its not a perfect product, and these features would make it standout rather than just nabbing store rights and forcing people to use their launcher if they want to play specific games.

Even today years after its launch its lacking in many basic features.

The sad thing is epic seem stuck on the wrong path, they still filing new court cases because they want to use their own launcher on every platform, and are still nabbing exclusives even though its proven unpopular and unprofitable.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
They have taken the wrong approach.

The differentiator should be the launcher/store not the exclusives. Snatching up 3rd party exclusives I consider vile and very anti consumer.

Really they should have done this and early on as well.

Achievements, Libraries, Shopping Cart, Reviews and other steam feature parity.
Added social media integration, twitch, youtube, discord etc.
Added achievement points to store points feature.
Added allow rollback game patch feature. (control in hands of user not dev).

Thats a starter point, my point is there is areas steam is lacking, its not a perfect product, and these features would make it standout rather than just nabbing store rights and forcing people to use their launcher if they want to play specific games.

Even today years after its launch its lacking in many basic features.

The sad thing is epic seem stuck on the wrong path, they still filing new court cases because they want to use their own launcher on every platform, and are still nabbing exclusives even though its proven unpopular and unprofitable.
I feel its the only real way to get a footing sure you dont like it but if their was no reason to jump off steam no one would

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I hope Epic meets their profitability goal. They're still missing a couple important features for me personally, but they're coming. Steam needs the competition and Epic does still pay more to publishers.

I still think Uplay is underrated. I really love the in-game rewards system you get for doing achievements on Uplay, its a lot of fun to me and actually makes me want to do achievements, on steam I just ignore the achievements. /shrug

We give you games for free, then we hope you pay for over priced DLC's, Yeah right.

no one says you have to pay for the overpriced dlc's, its up to the individual if they have enough discipline and perspective to simply enjoy the base game and move on with their lives. i for one am thankful for all the free games.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Why all the hatred? If you don't want to use it, don't.
Yes, it sucks having half a dozen different game launchers installed, but competition is needed.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Why all the hatred? If you don't want to use it, don't.
Yes, it sucks having half a dozen different game launchers installed, but competition is needed.

yeah, Steam's half-hearted attempts at copying facebook stuff over the years was really annoying. i also dislike the cards/badge crafting system, its a lot of fluff/time consuming... none of my friends even use the facebook 'wall' feature on steam anymore, or the activity feed. I'd rather see them encourage companies to do a Uplay reward in-game based system for unlocking achievements, like a 1% discount on their share of the profit if your game is on steam and offers that feature or something. /shrug

these days i don't really care what any of them do. i just fire up PC and game. and turn off PC.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
I still think Uplay is underrated. I really love the in-game rewards system you get for doing achievements on Uplay, its a lot of fun to me and actually makes me want to do achievements, on steam I just ignore the achievements. /shrug
True, UPlay is pretty solid these days. I have all my AC collection and a few others on there. And yeah, the ability to turn achievements into actual game discounts is very nice. But it's (mostly/completely?) a publisher store so the catalog is very shallow.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
True, UPlay is pretty solid these days. I have all my AC collection and a few others on there. And yeah, the ability to turn achievements into actual game discounts is very nice. But it's (mostly/completely?) a publisher store so the catalog is very shallow.

I do the in-game rewards not discounts. meh

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
yeah, Steam's half-hearted attempts at copying facebook stuff over the years was really annoying. i also dislike the cards/badge crafting system, its a lot of fluff/time consuming... none of my friends even use the facebook 'wall' feature on steam anymore, or the activity feed. I'd rather see them encourage companies to do a Uplay reward in-game based system for unlocking achievements, like a 1% discount on their share of the profit if your game is on steam and offers that feature or something. /shrug

these days i don't really care what any of them do. i just fire up PC and game. and turn off PC.
Eh? I didn't even know these things existed...