• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Solved] Please help! - "program can't start because xlive.dll is missing" [attempts of privacy infringement in thread - Reported]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cai

Hello. Please help! I can't start a game because windows is showing this message. It is a game that is a free standalone expansion.
Clipboard01.png

Last edited:

Cai

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
Try reinstalling the Games For Windows Live client and see if it reinstalls xlive.dll alongside that

Cai

Try reinstalling the Games For Windows Live client and see if it reinstalls xlive.dll alongside that
I don't have "Games For Windows Live" and I have never heard of it before in my life. What is that and where can I get it?

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
All the google-fu I just did pointed to xlive.dll operating alongside the Games For Windows Live client.

GFWL was "an online gaming service used by Games for Windows–branded PC titles that enables Windows PCs to connect to Microsoft's Live service."

What game are you trying to play? No need to be secretive about it. Makes it harder to help when we don't have all the information.

It was generally installed alongside older games (I had to fiddle with it when playing Fallout 3). This thread (google result number 3) has a Microsoft forum member mentioning that "Xlive.dll actually comes in the 'Games for Live' package installer."

In general, laughing at people that are trying to help you doesn't normally go very far.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Thank you. Is that program safe or will it interfere with the rest of my games from steam?
What Lex said about safety/trustworthiness. Shouldn't conflict with anything else as most games likely aren't old enough to even know what GFWL is.

Reactions: Cai

Cai

What game are you trying to play?
A free standalone expansion.

In general, laughing at people that are trying to help you doesn't normally go very far.
I was laughing at the statement that seemed ignorant of the fact that I can't run the game because my system doesn't have the live installed in the first place thus the error message.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Still would be helpful to know what you're playing in case anyone in the future ever finds this thread or has the same issue with the game.

A free standalone expansion.
If it's an expansion, doesn't that mean it's not standalone by design? What is it? I just don't understand the desire for secrecy

Edit: Googled quick, just an expansion related to the game but not requiring the base game to play (think Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero as an example of base game and standalone expansion respectively for anyone else wondering)

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
i though gfwl stopped functioning under win 10
was gta 4 not pulled from steam temp to fix it

Cai

If it's an expansion, doesn't that mean it's not standalone by design? What is it? I just don't understand the desire for secrecy
No need for secrecy only a need for privacy.
It is a standalone expansion separate from the game installation.

Edit: Googled quick, just an expansion related to the game but not requiring the base game to play (think Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero for anyone else wondering)
That is not the game I'm trying to play.

think Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero for anyone else wondering
I thought it was obvious I have no intention of sharing the game title for my own privacy. But given your attempts to uncover what game I want to play, I will have to report you for disrespecting of my own privacy.

Edit: Reported for disrespecting of my privacy.

D

Deleted member 202104

I thought it was obvious I have no intention of sharing the game title for my own privacy. But given your attempts to uncover what game I want to play, I will have to report you for disrespecting of privacy of another member (me).

Best of luck getting Battlestations: Pacific working.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

I thought it was obvious I have no intention of sharing the game title for my own privacy. But given your attempts to uncover what game I want to play, I will have to report you for disrespecting of my own privacy.

Edit: Reported for disrespecting of my privacy.

Maybe i over looked it but maybe just maybe you should say what game it's for ?, might be a work around of sorts for that game.

You know how help works right ?, the more info we have the better chance ?.

Last edited:

Cai

I don't know why you think you are allowed to do that but just know that I have reported
Maybe i over looked it but maybe just maybe you should say what game it's for ?, might be a work around of sorts for that game.
Please read my above comments, I have already reported two members for disrespecting my privacy. I would like to see what the mods will have to say about that. As I mentioned I don't intend to say what game it is, but it is none of the above mentioned titles.

You know how help works right ?, the more info we have the better chance ?.
I have no intention of sharing the title name as that is my private concern, not a technical concern of the topic. The technical topic was the error message by windows.

Pssh enough of you
Sorry but I had to report that for rude behaviour. Possibly cancel culture.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I don't care how many you people you have reported, this is silly cancel culture BS. And if i mod thinks i should be banned or any other person for trying to help you then maybe this site has gone to the dogs already.

No ones trying to step on your privacy and people have tried to help you have but like any thing the more info more chance to be able to help.

Again this i am done as you not worth my time if you don't know when people are trying to help you. Here's a gun and there is your foot.

Cai

I don't care how many you people you have reported, this is silly cancel culture BS. And if i mod thinks i should be banned or any other person for trying to help you then maybe this site has gone to the dogs already.

No ones trying to step on your privacy and people have tried to help you have but like any thing the more info more chance to be able to help.

Again this i am done as you not worth my time if you don't know when people are trying to help you. Here's a gun and there is your foot.
I have thanked the person who has helped me and I have kindly replied to others who have been focusing on off-topic matters, that I do not wish to share the game title as my privacy matters to me, and that it is none of the before mentioned games. No need to be rude to me just because I value my privacy. Privacy is a fundamental human right.

Unfortunately I had to report several members of this thread for attempts of privacy infringement.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Okay, I'm all for the right to privacy. But if there's a specific case where this game (sorry, standalone expansion) is giving many other people this same issue, knowing what it is makes our attempts to help you a lot easier.

The reference to subnautica and below zero was an example of a standalone expansion for anyone else reading the thread currently or who might stumble across it in the future that was originally unaware of what a standalone expansion was like I did. Was in no way guessing that was what you were playing.

Edit: Updated my wording in the subnautica post to reflect that I was using it as an example

Okay, cool, congratulations. Do you see why not sharing that info makes it difficult for us though? It'd be like calling a mechanic and saying "my car makes a buzzing noise whenever I step on the gas and turn left, but I'm not going to tell you what kind of car it is, how many miles it has on it, when it's last service was, or bring it in for you to check out yourself". How would you expect the mechanic to solve the problem there? Maybe there's a recall out on that car and if you provided the mechanic with the info, he'd be able to tell you instantly what the problem was.

Same analogy applies here. It could be that this is a widespread issue with this standalone expansion, but it makes it very hard for us trying to help you (the people you asked to do so) effectively and efficiently.
i though gfwl stopped functioning under win 10
was gta 4 not pulled from steam temp to fix it
It still works but might require some extra tweaking: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/c2a916de-ac00-485d-bc63-f77a385ef7f6

Not sure about GTA IV

Last edited:

Cai

Okay, I'm all for the right to privacy. But if there's a specific case where this game (sorry, standalone expansion) is giving many other people this same issue, knowing what it is makes our attempts to help you a lot easier.

The reference to subnautica and below zero was an example of a standalone expansion for anyone else reading the thread currently or who might stumble across it in the future that was originally unaware of what it was like I did. Was in no way guessing that was what you were playing.

Edit: Updated my wording in the subnautica post to reflect that I was using it as an example

Okay, cool, congratulations. Do you see why not sharing that info makes it difficult for us though? It'd be like calling a mechanic and saying "my car makes a buzzing noise whenever I step on the gas and turn left, but I'm not going to tell you what kind of car it is, how many miles it has on it, when it's last service was, or bring it in for you to check out yourself". How would you expect the mechanic to solve the problem there? Maybe there's a recall out on that car and if you provided the mechanic with the info, he'd be able to tell you instantly what the problem was.

Same analogy applies here. It could be that this is a widespread issue with this standalone expansion, but it makes it very hard for us trying to help you (the people you asked) to do so effectively and efficiently.

It still works but might require some extra tweaking: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/c2a916de-ac00-485d-bc63-f77a385ef7f6

Not sure about GTA IV
Have you been writing this all that time? o_O

It still does not answer why is windows showing that message as the game has no relation to windows live of xbox and is from another download site...

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
No one can help you, you are on your own.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Have you been writing this all that time?
Again, as aforementioned, it's a bit rude to come ask people for help and then laugh/insult them when they try and do so.

It still does not answer why is windows showing that message as the game has no relation to windows live of xbox and is from another download site...
xlive.dll is a component of the Games For Windows Live client. As the wiki page I linked to earlier states, GFWL was Microsoft's client for online integration in their older games. I wasn't PC gaming back when it was relevant, but based on my research it was used for the things that Xbox Live is used for now - online mulitplayer, achievements, etc. If this standalone expansion had those features, it likely utilized GFWL. These older games were packaged with the version of the GFWL client that was relevant at the games release. Attempting to play the game after the fact resulted a lot of the times in the GFWL client needing updated even though you just installed the game fresh from Steam. I would imagine that was the case here - the game installed with a version of GFWL that was outdated, or it didn't install it at all.

The download is from Microsoft's official site. As you can see, Lex has been a member on TPU for almost 8 years and has over 12,000 posts. If he was posting links to malicious downloads, he would've been banned long long ago.

Have you downloaded GFWL and tried to see if that fixes this issue or have you just spent your time bashing those trying to help you? I would like to help you get your game running.

No I'm not.
You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Status
Not open for further replies.