• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Technical Issues - TPU Main Site & Forum (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Jeez. The web sure is a shady place these days.
"These" days? Ummm, to me, it seems it always has been.

You might see if you have a nextdoor.com or similar site in your local area. Of course, your "reach" to potential buyers will be greatly limited but the risks of getting ripped off are less too.

Our local police station has 2 parking spots that are under constant camera observation for the safety of all involved, providing a great place for the swap.

Then TPU has a its own Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway forum. but it has its own limitations too, in terms of trust, shipping fees, etc.

"These" days? Ummm, to me, it seems it always has been.

You might see if you have a nextdoor.com or similar site in your local area. Of course, your "reach" to potential buyers will be greatly limited but the risks of getting ripped off are less too.

Our local police station has 2 parking spots that are under constant camera observation for the safety of all involved, providing a great place for the swap.

Then TPU has a its own Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway forum. but it has its own limitations too, in terms of trust, shipping fees, etc.
Depends who you're dealing with I guess. Never had real issues in the past. Just seeing more and more con artists hit online market places, not that it's anything new. It's just the fact they know how the system works and exploit it to the max leaving others to pay for it via increased fees.

No local trading places here in the U.K, it's all geared towards online sales. Boot sales were vanishing before Covid now they don't exist any longer.
We used to have Computer fairs, again all gone. So, I'm left with either the Bay or Gumtree.

Yeah I just signed up for Heatware but I see it's mostly for people based in the U.S.
I used to use AVFORUMS to sell a few yeas back but the begging from some members put me off.

I'll take a look at nextdoor.com, thanks :)

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Depends who you're dealing with I guess. Never had real issues in the past. Just seeing more and more con artists hit online market places, not that it's anything new. It's just the fact they know how the system works and exploit it to the max leaving others to pay for it via increased fees.
I agree. But I would suggest there are more and more con artists simply because the Internet keeps growing and growing. That means more con artists and more inexperienced users to con.

And of course, there's always the recent, highly overused, catch-all, universal excuse we keep hearing these days to explain everything bad; COVID-19. :(

No local trading places here in the U.K

That's a big blanket statement that I am pretty sure, like all blanket statements, is not accurate.

The UK is a big place. I lived in East Anglia for quite a few years.

I am NOT talking about swap meets, boot sales, computer/consumer electronics shows and fairs, etc. I am talking about where the individual seller and individual buyer have already arranged the sale and have agreed to meet some place to complete the transaction. This place is used so neither party has to reveal their home address. Often church or store parking lots, fire or police stations are used - some public, well lit, exposed place where a buyer won't bop the seller with a bat and steal the goods, or where the seller won't bop the buyer and steal his or her cash.

The safe places I am talking about are established by local towns and communities. While there may not be anything like that in your community, pretty sure you cannot speak for every city, town and village in the UK.

This is were nextdoor.com comes in. You join the group for your local area. So only people who live in your neighborhood and surrounding area are in that group. I am not saying nextdoor.com operates in the UK. But hopefully there is something similar.

If you have no luck finding a buyer, I would urge you to search out an electronics recycling center [hopefully] near you. These facilities properly recycle and dispose of these materials in an environmentally safe manner - keeping the abundant hazardous waste found in electronics out of landfills and our water supplies.

The recycling center in my area actually pays us for the aluminum, steel, and recoverable precious materials found in electronics. Of course it is pennies on the dollar (or pound in your case) but better than nothing. I cleaned out a basement storeroom and was paid $80. Now I have a nice guest bedroom. :)

The hard part was simply parting with all that stuff I was saving because I knew I might need it someday. So far, no regrets.

I agree. But I would suggest there are more and more con artists simply because the Internet keeps growing and growing. That means more con artists and more inexperienced users to con.

And of course, there's always the recent, highly overused, catch-all, universal excuse we keep hearing these days to explain everything bad; COVID-19. :(
I'm old time Bay user of 18 years. I've watched how the world connected over the years, and with that people's attitudes changed.
Once a safe place to do buisiness and chat with people about anything, now turned into another faceless machine.
Then we have all the economic woes, people out of work, professional con artists that no longer have to kick your door in or climb through your window to steal your possesions etc etc..

I agree Covid-19 has been over used, it slowed the globe down to a point, not the Corps but the consumer. I guess many of us are missing those 12+ months that seemed to vanish as we sat indoor wondering when the hell it would all end.

That's a big blanket statement that I am pretty sure, like all blanket statements, is not accurate.
I wish that was the case. Covid rules have kept people from gathering, no concerts, stores closed, restaurants and bars closed. The list is endless.

The UK is a big place. I lived in East Anglia for quite a few years.
I've been in and around various East Anglian towns. Cambridge for one, nice place. Pub ceiling were too low for this giant though :p

I am NOT talking about swap meets, boot sales, computer/consumer electronics shows and fairs, etc. I am talking about where the individual seller and individual buyer have already arranged the sale and have agreed to meet some place to complete the transaction. This place is used so neither party has to reveal their home address. Often church or store parking lots, fire or police stations are used - some public, well lit, exposed place where a buyer won't bop the seller with a bat and steal the goods, or where the seller won't bop the buyer and steal his or her cash.
No system like that here. Covid strikes again.
The safe places I am talking about are established by local towns and communities. While there may not be anything like that in your community, pretty sure you cannot speak for every city, town and village in the UK.
No such luck again. We've had lock down and people from different households and counties were not allowed to meet.

This is were nextdoor.com comes in. You join the group for your local area. So only people who live in your neighborhood and surrounding area are in that group. I am not saying nextdoor.com operates in the UK. But hopefully there is something similar.
The only place you can either ask for or give away is Freecycle. No exchange of monies allowed.
I looked at Nextdoor.com on Trustpilot, it doesn't look good. Many complained about privacy and security issues.

If you have no luck finding a buyer, I would urge you to search out an electronics recycling center [hopefully] near you. These facilities properly recycle and dispose of these materials in an environmentally safe manner - keeping the abundant hazardous waste found in electronics out of landfills and our water supplies.

The recycling center in my area actually pays us for the aluminum, steel, and recoverable precious materials found in electronics. Of course it is pennies on the dollar (or pound in your case) but better than nothing. I cleaned out a basement storeroom and was paid $80. Now I have a nice guest bedroom. :)

The hard part was simply parting with all that stuff I was saving because I knew I might need it someday. So far, no regrets.
Recycling took a hit as prices dropped. And with other countries refusing to take our junk it went to designated centres that are closed from the public.
At one time the Bay would be full of recycle centres selling off what companies had disposed of, not so much any longer. Nearly all of them have gone.
They'll take scrap metal here but only cars and metal household goods.

The Council are all for taking batteries large and small off our hands-----for free of course.
It's the same with cell phones and any device containing precious minerals. They don't miss a trick where money is concerned and won't give you a penny for it.

Perhaps @qubit has a different experience although we are probably at different ends of the country.

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Um somehow the website is circumventing my addblocker
any reason why its doing that

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Report it to your adblocker support... would, probably, be the best thing.

Edit: Just checked/tested my blocker (AdGuard) works fine on the site; however, I leave it turned off for TPU.

Last edited:
Actually, TPU uses a method of showing certain ads that can not be blocked unless you block the whole site. While they can not be blocked, they also are completely inoffensive and unintrusive. It's a form of showing ads that respects user privacy. W1zzard came up with it a few years ago as a "meet-in-the-middle" solution to showing ads while at the same time respecting us users.

There is no problem. TPU is one of the few sites on the net that does not pose any risk to anyone who visits here. My advice is not to worry about it and let TPU earn some well deserved revenue.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
hold up its not actually blocking all of em
Report it to your adblocker support... would, probably, be the best thing.

Edit: Just checked/tested my blocker (AdGuard) works fine on the site; however, I leave it turned off for TPUl

Actually, TPU uses a method of showing certain ads that can not be blocked unless you block the whole site. While they can not be blocked, they also are completely inoffensive and unintrusive. It's a form of showing ads that respects user privacy. W1zzard came up with it a few years ago as a "meet-in-the-middle" solution to showing ads while at the same time respecting us users.

There is no problem. TPU is one of the few sites on the net that does not pose a risk to anyone who visits here. My advice is not to worry about it and let TPU earn some well deserved revenue.
To each their own but i have a no exception policys with ads
they all use bandwith and waste it
i would rather have to pay a entry fee then have ads

Attachments

• 1620170906773.png
    1620170906773.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 51
To each their own but i have a no exception policys with ads
Given how they're structured you have two choices, block them on a per-page-element basis or not visit TPU.
they all use bandwith and waste it
Those ads take up much less bandwidth than one of the many high res photos that load in an average article. It's nothing to worry about.
i would rather have to pay a entry fee then have ads
There is the TPU Patreon page. Sign up, and login before viewing anything on the site and you get an ad free experience as one of the perks.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Given how they're structured you have two choices, block them on a per-page-element basis or not visit TPU.
its never had a problem before this though
also thats a montly fee

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
also thats a montly fee

Avoid the home page, problem solved. I just keep a favorite link to the forums since that's what I mainly use. I don't go to the homepage unless I absolutely have to, which is maybe a handful of times a year.

also thats a montly fee
My advice is to live with it. W1zzard has taken a great deal of time carefully selecting what gets shown and how. To be blunt, if you have a problem with the ads on TPU, you have the problem. TPU is not an ad shitstorm such as sites like The Verge, Wired or Toms Hardware, for example. This is a VERY ad conservative site.

EDIT; Additionally, the ads that are shown are directly related to the scope of TPU, IE, they are tech product ads, and very good ones. Tasteful would also be a good description. So take moment to step back and look at the context of the situation. If you think about it, you might not care. TPU is one of a very few sites I whitelist. That list can be counted on one hand. Like you I despise ads. TPU is worth making an exception for.

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Avoid the home page, problem solved. I just keep a favorite link to the forums since that's what I mainly use. I don't go to the homepage unless I absolutely have to, which is maybe a handful of times a year.
this is a good idea
i will implement it thx

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
This comment might go down like a lead balloon. But... Ad revenue pays the wages of the guys that write the articles and run the site. It's a strange facet of modern life where folks forget people need an income to survive. That's why I don't block ads.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
This comment might go down like a lead balloon. But... Ad revenue pays the wages of the guys that write the articles and run the site. It's a strange facet of modern life where folks forget people need an income to survive. That's why I don't block ads.

HOW DARE THEY HAVE WAGES

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't block ads here either. Some people think that everything on the web should be free but that isn't reality.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

There is no problem. TPU is one of the few sites on the net that does not pose any risk to anyone who visits here. My advice is not to worry about it and let TPU earn some well deserved revenue.
+1 I turn off my ad blocker here as a courtesy to W1zzard. It only seems fair.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
I mean this still does not tell me how it magically started going around my addblocker

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
It's not magic. The ads are being coded into the display page as a page element being served by the TPU server itself, nothing for an adblocker to home in on.
I mean. If I point it at the ad it can

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Honestly its not that the ads changed, its just that most of them are so small you never noticed them due to all the white space around them

thats why we had a big fluff about the nicehash ad, because it was honking huge and brightly coloured

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Some other sites are poo, resorting to pop-ups (the new kind, not the ones that look like Windows pop-ups)

The worst are the ones that suddenly are there and I accidentally click on one!

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Some other sites are poo, resorting to pop-ups (the new kind, not the ones that look like Windows pop-ups)

The worst are the ones that suddenly are there and I accidentally click on one!
Firefox blocks popups maybe switch to it

Status
Not open for further replies.