• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maps, science, data & statistics tracking of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I still think mRNA has saved the day more than anything else, but I understand your arguments too. As far economies not collapsing goes, if I were running a country, I think I'd be switching over to mRNA. (this is just from a strategic standpoint economically speaking)

I still think mRNA has saved the day more than anything else, but I understand your arguments too. As far economies not collapsing goes, if I were running a country, I think I'd be switching over to mRNA. (this is just from a strategic standpoint economically speaking)

mRNA is only useful if you have the strategic supercomputers (and the research programs / computer programs that run on those computers) needed to compute the protein folds. There's a reason why only the USA is manufacturing these.

There's discussion about whether or not the US should release the patent to the mRNA vaccine. I'm not sure what to think of it. "Trust in big-pharma" is probably wrong. But there's something to be said about why something like this is incredibly valuable. If our patent system came up with the solution, then yes, it was the success of our patent system... and we shouldn't undermine it (so that the next disease can also be attacked with our patent system).

EDIT: We know what the virus looks like: https://github.com/berthubert/bnt162b2/blob/master/ncov-s.fasta

We know what the vaccine looks like: https://github.com/berthubert/bnt162b2/blob/master/vaccine-s.fasta

The DNA-printers that make this stuff are available for 15000 EUR or so, probably more for a manufacturing-quality version. Its now a question of patent law, and the supercomputer infrastructure needed to support these kinds of designs.

EDIT2: This blog post talks about the manufacturing details: https://blog.jonasneubert.com/2021/...fizer-biontech-and-moderna-covid-19-vaccines/. A major step is verification of all of these molecules: ensuring we've got the right mRNA in the vat-of-proteins before we inject it into our veins. There are also lots of special equipment (mRNA is good and all, but it needs to be combined with lipids before our body accepts it. And very few people know the details of that magic process).

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Millions gather in Hindu ritual as coronavirus surges in India

So India apparently hasn't learned it's lesson yet and is aiming to achieve herd immunity through other means... sigh...

• Sad
Reactions: 64K

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

So India apparently hasn't learned it's lesson yet and is aiming to achieve herd immunity through other means... sigh...

Amazing!

Space Lynx

Astronaut
mRNA is only useful if you have the strategic supercomputers (and the research programs / computer programs that run on those computers) needed to compute the protein folds. There's a reason why only the USA is manufacturing these.

There's discussion about whether or not the US should release the patent to the mRNA vaccine. I'm not sure what to think of it. "Trust in big-pharma" is probably wrong. But there's something to be said about why something like this is incredibly valuable. If our patent system came up with the solution, then yes, it was the success of our patent system... and we shouldn't undermine it (so that the next disease can also be attacked with our patent system).

EDIT: We know what the virus looks like: https://github.com/berthubert/bnt162b2/blob/master/ncov-s.fasta

We know what the vaccine looks like: https://github.com/berthubert/bnt162b2/blob/master/vaccine-s.fasta

The DNA-printers that make this stuff are available for 15000 EUR or so, probably more for a manufacturing-quality version. Its now a question of patent law, and the supercomputer infrastructure needed to support these kinds of designs.

EDIT2: This blog post talks about the manufacturing details: https://blog.jonasneubert.com/2021/...fizer-biontech-and-moderna-covid-19-vaccines/. A major step is verification of all of these molecules: ensuring we've got the right mRNA in the vat-of-proteins before we inject it into our veins. There are also lots of special equipment (mRNA is good and all, but it needs to be combined with lipids before our body accepts it. And very few people know the details of that magic process).

Biden team says it supports waiving patent protections on Covid-19 vaccines

Let's hope Pfizer and the others are still willing to innovate after this...

That's old news & video footage ~ no election rallies held for at least a fortnight by Modi & Kumbh also ended a while back. Why is CNN regurgitating the same old piece again?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That's old news & video footage ~ no election rallies held for at least a fortnight by Modi & Kumbh also ended a while back. Why is CNN regurgitating the same old piece again?

no idea. but that article was posted today when I linked it anyway. its a video so can't tell for sure, but I know it was the front page today. so I have no idea.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

It’s highly unlikely that they’ll let the patents ago, but realistically there’s not much innovation going on here. mRNA vaccines have been around for awhile, and only required a few tweaks to produce a working Covid vaccine (never mind that this work was subsidized by project warp speed and other initiatives).

I know I posted this before but for posterity’s sake, here’s a university that produced a vaccine back in May of last year based on public research and without proprietary methods — they just couldn’t secure investment for phase three trials:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It’s highly unlikely that they’ll let the patents ago, but realistically there’s not much innovation going on here. mRNA vaccines have been around for awhile, and only required a few tweaks to produce a working Covid vaccine (never mind that this work was subsidized by project warp speed and other initiatives).

I know I posted this before but for posterity’s sake, here’s a university that produced a vaccine back in May of last year based on public research and without proprietary methods — they just couldn’t secure investment for phase three trials:

Pfizer is making crazy money right now, selling the vaccine to many countries. Take that away from them, or even remove the patent from that, means they have less incentive to push hard in the future for something else ground breaking. Why cure cancer with mRNA when you will have to sell it for free after only a minimal profit? I'd like to think people have good hearts too, but the world has chewed me up and spit me out to many times to fall for that old cliché again.

Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
You missed the point... A public university “innovated” mRNA more efficiently than Pfizer did in only a few weeks using non-proprietary research... If a small, publicly funded university lab can produce a working vaccine sooner than a multi-billion dollar Pfizer/biontech can (using German tax payer money to do so), then how exactly did Pfizer innovate? I’d hardly call replicating what a small lab did in a few weeks in several months “groundbreaking.”

The patent waivers don’t actually prevent them from owning patents, it just forces them to share the patent with other manufacturers who can then manufacture x company’s drug for the duration of the waiver. They still own the IP and can exercise their right to it once the waiver expires. I know Moderna said they planned on doing as much back in October, I’d be surprised if the rest didn’t say the same (and aren’t simultaneously fighting the waivers lol).

Really — if that Finland vaccine had been brought to and completed stage three trials then proprietary Covid vaccines wouldn’t be profitable at all...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You missed the point... A public university “innovated” mRNA more efficiently than Pfizer did in only a few weeks using non-proprietary research... If a small, publicly funded university lab can produce a working vaccine sooner than a multi-billion dollar Pfizer/biontech can (using German tax payer money to do so), then how exactly did Pfizer innovate? I’d hardly call replicating what a small lab did in a few weeks in several months “groundbreaking.”

The patent waivers don’t actually prevent them from owning patents, it just forces them to share the patent with other manufacturers who can then manufacture x company’s drug for the duration of the waiver. They still own the IP and can exercise their right to it once the waiver expires. I know Moderna said they planned on doing as much back in October, I’d be surprised if the rest didn’t say the same (and aren’t simultaneously fighting the waivers lol).

Really — if that Finland vaccine had been brought to and completed stage three trials then proprietary Covid vaccines wouldn’t be profitable at all...

good point and I believe DARPA or some USA government heavily funded Moderna early on too... which is ultimately tax payer money, so yes you are correct. I concede. Thank you for explaining it better.

Hmm. Not sure where we go from here though, because the means is in the production capabilities though... so a small university as you say, does still need to prove itself in that regard, even with funding... creating a factory is no easy task, and Pfizer has done that many times. Small universities have done that probably 0 on the scales needed. That would be the only argument I have left.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Can the US even make a decision either way regarding the Pfizer vaccine? My understanding is that the patent rests with the developer of the vaccine which is BioNtech, Pfizer was brought to the party for support with clinical trials, logistics, and manufacturing, but not sure how it works in these circumstances.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Pfizer and other mRNA vaccines were built on university studies, not on their in-house technology. So: public, taxpayer money facilities.

They better not whine about it. Did you see the profit margin yet? Billions, and over 3x the cost of making one.

Ah. Thanks. I think we're reading news in a similar place of the world, seeing as we bring similar points pretty often :D

Space Lynx

Astronaut

looks like Germany agrees with the argument I just made, it's not about the patent its about the safety and complexity of the manufacturing process staying in experienced hands. basically was my last argument a few posts up. maybe Germany politicians read this thread LMAO

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
looks like Germany agrees with the argument I just made, it's not about the patent its about the safety and complexity of the manufacturing process staying in experienced hands
I thought determining if the end product was safe was the FDA's purpose for existing?

I thought determining if the end product was safe was the FDA's purpose for existing?

To a fault. IIRC: FDA doesn't do comparative studies (is X better than Y?). FDA only does efficacy studies (is X better than placebo?).

It turns out that those are very different: you can't just combine two efficacy studies (is X better than placebo) vs (is Y better than placebo), because the two studies may have subtly different methodologies and/or pools of people they studied. I mean... you can do so and try to form an argument (and many people make arguments of that nature). But arguments of this form are fundamentally invalid.

But yes, FDA's bread-and-butter regulation / studies are "X better than placebo??" questions.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
To a fault. IIRC: FDA doesn't do comparative studies (is X better than Y?). FDA only does efficacy studies (is X better than placebo?).

It turns out that those are very different: you can't just combine two efficacy studies (is X better than placebo) vs (is Y better than placebo), because the two studies may have subtly different methodologies and/or pools of people they studied. I mean... you can do so and try to form an argument (and many people make arguments of that nature). But arguments of this form are fundamentally invalid.

But yes, FDA's bread-and-butter regulation / studies are "X better than placebo??" questions.
I'm not so concerned about efficacy as that'll sure be out in data form eventually regardless, even if not at a specific generic product launch.

I was speaking specifically to product safety, ie "this will not kill you or cause you to be in severe pain"

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I don't think you understand at all the issue here, this has nothing to do with United States FDA...

USA wants to release patent so OTHER countries can make their own Pfizer vaccine. BioNTech did all the research on this mRNA tech, it is true, I don't think they care about the patent, they are rich enough now, but they are worried about say some poor country having access to how to make the Pfizer vaccine (once patent becomes open source for it), and they will mess up some very small detail during the manufacturing process that might cause severe symptoms or death in those who get that vaccine - because this level of manufacturing is extremely advanced, and Pfizer is probably one of the few companies with enough experience and engineers to do it. The more accidents you have from some poor countries poor attempt at the recreation of the Pfizer vaccine, the less people will trust vaccines in those countries.

It would be much much cheaper to just keep making deals with Pfizer and Moderna to scale up their operations - and sell cheaply to other countries, but Pfizer/Moderna (operating within certain regions to better service multiple regions of the world) is the best approach imo. WHO already has funds to buy these vaccines from Pfizer/Moderna to send to poorer countries, that funding just needs expanded now that we see what's happening in the Seychelle's. Prevention of death is great and all, but you want the vaccine that will re-open the world economy so it doesn't all collapse. (the Seychelle's economy is currently closed even though a lot are vaccinated, just not with the mRNA one).

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I don't think you understand at all the issue here, this has nothing to do with United States FDA...
I was indeed being geocentric to my region, apologies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I was indeed being geocentric to my region, apologies.

No need to apologize, just think you had some brain fog in relation to the issue at hand lol

it's ok covid recovery Frog, I got yo back... buy you flies to eat... :clap:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) A LOT

looks like Germany agrees with the argument I just made, it's not about the patent its about the safety and complexity of the manufacturing process staying in experienced hands. basically was my last argument a few posts up. maybe Germany politicians read this thread LMAO
Most of the EU are saying they are for patent waivers, except Germany, according to the article, but are annoyed that the US changed their position on COVAX, which makes a lot of sense since the US still hasn’t agreed to participate in COVAX and is stockpiling 2x as many doses as we could possibly need. In this way, the US suddenly being pro patent waivers is disingenuous, since patent waivers would still mean that the US hasn’t committed to the global vaccination effort while COVAX partners would foot the bill with whatever alleged benefit patent waivers bring in reducing costs.

Most vaccines aren’t actually produced in the country of origin, or even by the developer, but are actually outsourced to companies in places like India, who is producing the majority of Covid 19 vaccines for the world (ironically, their outbreak is supposedly what changed the US’s mind, and they stopped exporting vaccines two months ago).

If I understand correctly (please correct me if I’m wrong), from there they’re sent to places like the US, where a regulatory body, like the FDA, determines if they’re safe.

If you read further down in the article, those defending patent rights are actually more concerned about patents surrounding things like manufacturing and storage techniques, which are beyond the scope of the patents for the vaccine themselves.
USA wants to release patent so OTHER countries can make their own Pfizer vaccine. BioNTech did all the research on this mRNA tech, it is true, I don't think they care about the patent, they are rich enough now, but they are worried about say some poor country having access to how to make the Pfizer vaccine (once patent becomes open source for it), and they will mess up some very small detail during the manufacturing process that might cause severe symptoms or death in those who get that vaccine - because this level of manufacturing is extremely advanced, and Pfizer is probably one of the few companies with enough experience and engineers to do it. The more accidents you have from some poor countries poor attempt at the recreation of the Pfizer vaccine, the less people will trust vaccines in those countries.
I would not put this much faith in big pharma :) biontech and Pfizer are beholden to their shareholders, and while most manufacturers are selling vaccines at low prices now, they have every intention of raising prices in the coming months (Pfizer and their CEO have been very candid about this, as have others, with increases expected in September). Like I mentioned, Moderna claimed they’d waive patents back in October, yet here we are in May and there’s still no generic Moderna vaccine...

They could give a shit about these poorer countries, whom they often use as guinea pigs for new pharmaceuticals... As I mentioned above, vaccine (really all pharmaceutical) production is often outsourced to places like India, Malaysia, the Philippines... These countries are already more than capable of producing the vaccine themselves.

What patent waivers do is allow other manufacturers in poorer countries to produce and distribute vaccines royalty free/at cost, but that doesn’t really matter since the world’s vaccine producers are already at capacity. What’s needed is more buyers, more resources, and more facilities. The perils of just-in-time/LEAN production — the same reasons our hospitals were overwhelmed!

It’s a clusterfuck to say the least

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Most of the EU are saying they are for patent waivers, except Germany, according to the article, but are annoyed that the US changed their position on COVAX, which makes a lot of sense since the US still hasn’t agreed to participate in COVAX and is stockpiling 2x as many doses as we could possibly need. In this way, the US suddenly being pro patent waivers is disingenuous, since patent waivers would still mean that the US hasn’t committed to the global vaccination effort while COVAX partners would foot the bill with whatever alleged benefit patent waivers bring in reducing costs.

Most vaccines aren’t actually produced in the country of origin, or even by the developer, but are actually outsourced to companies in places like India, who is producing the majority of Covid 19 vaccines for the world (ironically, their outbreak is supposedly what changed the US’s mind, and they stopped exporting vaccines two months ago).

If I understand correctly (please correct me if I’m wrong), from there they’re sent to places like the US, where a regulatory body, like the FDA, determines if they’re safe.

If you read further down in the article, those defending patent rights are actually more concerned about patents surrounding things like manufacturing and storage techniques, which are beyond the scope of the patents for the vaccine themselves.

I would not put this much faith in big pharma :) biontech and Pfizer are beholden to their shareholders, and while most manufacturers are selling vaccines at low prices now, they have every intention of raising prices in the coming months (Pfizer and their CEO have been very candid about this, as have others, with increases expected in September). Like I mentioned, Moderna claimed they’d waive patents back in October, yet here we are in May and there’s still no generic Moderna vaccine...

They could give a shit about these poorer countries, whom they often use as guinea pigs for new pharmaceuticals... As I mentioned above, vaccine (really all pharmaceutical) production is often outsourced to places like India, Malaysia, the Philippines... These countries are already more than capable of producing the vaccine themselves.

What patent waivers do is allow other manufacturers in poorer countries to produce and distribute vaccines royalty free/at cost, but that doesn’t really matter since the world’s vaccine producers are already at capacity. What’s needed is more buyers, more resources, and more facilities. The perils of just-in-time/LEAN production — the same reasons our hospitals were overwhelmed!

It’s a clusterfuck to say the least

mRNA vaccines are only made in mass on United States soil to my knowledge. not India.

Audio Device(s) A LOT
My bad; Pfizer does not produce in India (they do in Europe and China, though), the rest though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfizer–BioNTech_COVID-19_vaccine#Manufacturing

Edit: just so we’re on the same page, I have no hostility to you whatsoever and am certainly not an expert (or even educated) in these matters. We’re all just learning here (well except for the actual doctor). Sorry if my responses felt flippant or argumentative :)

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
mRNA vaccines are only made in mass on United States soil to my knowledge. not India.

The Pfizer/Biontech is made by both companies and not solely in the US.

Untitled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.