• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The shortage drives me to Console

Processor Intel Core i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 2 x 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX RX 570 4GB OC
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850W
Your not the first and certainly wont be the last to supplement their gaming fix with a console rather than a gpu. Many find both to be equally satisfying despite the imaginary line some like to draw in the sand. Theres no reason why you cant do both pc and console gaming with equal gusto! Just do you and ignore the outside noise i say.
Thanks! I always uphold the attitude about outside noise, a firm believer in independent thinking myself.:)

Just found some proof to convince myself, along with deeply impressive feel about one of the most acclaimed games that I love
Check it out mate:

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
At least you'll have something to do when the Eastcoast/Southern USA fuel runs out. If it goes as the scaremongers' tout, you better buy a gun and learn to hunt, fish, and build a fire. ;)
Back to the stone age:rockout:

This national security issue is outstanding. Should encourage "pure blood". Some nations in the world are very selective almost close to immigrants. USA's policies makers' mind has to be elevated a bit more.

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Another way to skin a cat would be to buy a pre-built machine from companys like Cyberpower, maingear & originpc. Then just take what you want from your old pc and flog the rest on ebay or craigslist when your new system arrives. People are so desperate for hardware that you'll recoup a fair chunk of the cost you spent on the pre-built.

This seems the easiest and most straightforward way that will guarantee you get a graphics card that you want.

My friend tried to do the same thing with Cyberpower. Though that didnt go to plan unfortunately. They took his money then told him there was an error with the system and they couldnt send him the system he specced out despite him receiving a confirmation email. He called them three times to try and resolve the issue so that he would still get what he paid for but apparently there was nothing even the managers could do. He had to wait two weeks for their system to auto process his refund.
DON'T DO THAT!

That's one of the few points I'm trying to make to the crowd, don't you see?!

X Box Series X is no longer XBox One. It has significantly improves, check out the Crysis remastered video above. Also, check out those about CP 2077 and Watch Dog Legion. These are the titles which can bring a PC to its knees easily even talking about a RTX 3080 or 6900 XT. The price/performance just can't compare.

Apart from the haunting price, you have to use DLSS of FSR to boosts the frame rates and that only give you something close to 60 FPS after all the extra efforts put into it. Just not worthy of it.

And the long wait? Give it up man! Switch to consoles now. You can still keep your PC and play other games on it which don't require high end graphics card. Let the miners get them, the more they get the more their stock prices soar - nVidia and AMD. This wave will go on forever, I ain't kidding! You can see the trend actually if you put your heart to it and study the current affairs. These digital currencies will not only rise to its all time high in the coming months but will continue to grow to such extent that no matter how many cards they produce, they'll all be consumed until the US dollars is wiped out. So the waiting for the cards to drop to MSRP or a reasonable value will be in vain.

Consoles are like Fire and Forget missiles, once they released they will home in onto the target you don't need to worry about how they get to that. Or like iPhone, easy to use, with high quality guaranteed.

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Thanks! I always uphold the attitude about outside noise, a firm believer in independent thinking myself.:)

Just found some proof to convince myself, along with deeply impressive feel about one of the most acclaimed games that I love
Check it out mate:

I personally can't aim on a controller for shit but idk

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Given that it's the people that protect the patents and IP of these companies, they also have a responsibility to return the favor by reasonably pricing their graphics card. People always use the "free market" defense but forget that 1) It's not a free market 2) They are indebted to the people whos pockets they are picking and are doing so during a pandemic no less.
No more Capitalism then? Are you quite sure, Sir?!

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
muscle memory takes time to train.
That's not muscle memory Also no I went W full generation without a pc and only played using DS3 on ps3 still did not get good and was still good at PC gaming when I went back

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Back to the stone age:rockout:

This national security issue is outstanding. Should encourage "pure blood". Some nations in the world are very selective almost close to immigrants. USA's policies makers' mind has to be elevated a bit more.
Less post-apocalyptical political theories, more relevant posts please.

Not trying to single you out as it was a long chain of posts, but we should stick to the subject.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I can see why you've bought it and it makes sense for now, but ultimately, the situation is temporary, if a long one. Eventually, it will be possible to buy high end graphics cards again and the PC will leave it in the dust. The irony is that the situation is the same for the PS5 - try buying one right now.

Consoles do have the advantage of generally just working, though. With a PC, one is always fiddling with drivers, updates, glitches etc, which is a royal pain in the ass. There's definitely a price to pay in convenience for all that extra performance. I'm still a PC gamer, but have a PS4 Pro to play online with my friends.

I went the same route when I could not get the GPU that I wanted. Settled with an Xbox Series X as well since I wasn't able to get a PS5, at least not at MSRP. While I agree that there are shortfalls with going with a console, but I figured I am more into hack and slash, and driving sim, thus, I am not losing out much without keyboard and mouse control. In fact I had a blast playing older games, than current titles. At USD 499, its uber good in value when you consider that one may not be able to get a GPU that performs just as well as the RDNA chip in the Xbox at this price range and amidst the current shortage. And that is not including the fact that you need other parts to have a complete PC and a legit OS to run and game on it. Sure, it can't allow you to work on it, i.e. not as versatile as a PC, but I can buy a laptop for work and still be in the money as oppose to trying to build a gaming PC at this point in time.

I can see why you've bought it and it makes sense for now, but ultimately, the situation is temporary, if a long one. Eventually, it will be possible to buy high end graphics cards again and the PC will leave it in the dust. The irony is that the situation is the same for the PS5 - try buying one right now.

Consoles do have the advantage of generally just working, though. With a PC, one is always fiddling with drivers, updates, glitches etc, which is a royal pain in the ass. There's definitely a price to pay in convenience for all that extra performance. I'm still a PC gamer, but have a PS4 Pro to play online with my friends.
I agree the shortage is temporary, but nobody is sure how long this will last. I was anticipating a June to Sep 2021 timeframe when this shortage started last year, but it seems its gonna take awhile longer. For those who are not looking to play games that requires a keyboard and mouse for best experience, I feel console is the way to go. Even down the road when everything settles down and GPUs are readily available, I still think its a good investment to tide me through the GPU drought.

Visually and in performance, consoles can't beat a good GPU/ gaming PC for sure. But like you said, it just works with minimal hassles. Developers would have optimized the visuals vs performance to the best they could, instead of leaving us to try and fiddle around with it. They are however not always bug/ glitch free. One mostly just don't have to contend with issues where a Windows update will break something in game, etc. The one downside with console gaming is that we tend to pay more for the games. Even on sale, the prices I find on Xbox store tend to cost more than say Steam.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
uh i will say i play games with basicly no trouble
maybe 5 min of fidiling with settings but its rare to have to fuck with drivers

w

indows 10 is a legit os and free
That depends. If you are buying a pre-assembled PC from the likes of Dell, Lenovo, etc, its not. That's factored into the price you pay.

This is true. No need to fiddle with drivers.

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
That is highly debatable.
It could be subjective though. But for all the videos I 've watched so far, they just look stunning.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
The console is good for one thing..media and gaming which is what most people want when you want to sit down, relax and play a game that 90% works without any issues. You don't need to worry about drivers or anything as it just works.
I've been "lucky" in the pot in managing to obtain a Palit RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 FE at retail price and launch(though the palit card value was increased slightly because of supply), i've also been lucky to casually check for stock on PS5 and managed to get one in December.
An idiot friend of mine had the opportunity to secure one few months ago from shopto but he wanted digital version and not disc version. So now he is stuck waiting for stock like everyone else.
If you are looking to pick up the new generation consoles then take the opportunity when they are available at retailers to avoid waiting if you got the cash available.
The stocks for GPUs will come back i'm sure, luckily the laptop market isn't looking too bad and the new RTX laptops performance are pretty good.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
well done bud "needs must as the devil drives" its a sad fact the some miner has other peoples cards and killing the planet to boot.

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
It's just too much, you see. That price to pay including extra time and fiddling is just too much.

Ask yourself what you originally want it for, for fun, right? And I don't feel like it. It's truly pain on the neck. So I give it up and without regrets.

As I've said, I also bought an Airpod 2 pro and that's a marvelous device BTW, only 250 bucks. Also, a cheap 4K Samsung TV only 400 bucks! The total amount of money won't be enough for a heck 3080!! And you have to like joining a lottery draw, as I said, we ain't beggars. Cash is King, with cash we can buy whatever we want, right?

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
I went the same route when I could not get the GPU that I wanted. Settled with an Xbox Series X as well since I wasn't able to get a PS5, at least not at MSRP. While I agree that there are shortfalls with going with a console, but I figured I am more into hack and slash, and driving sim, thus, I am not losing out much without keyboard and mouse control. In fact I had a blast playing older games, than current titles. At USD 499, its uber good in value when you consider that one may not be able to get a GPU that performs just as well as the RDNA chip in the Xbox at this price range and amidst the current shortage. And that is not including the fact that you need other parts to have a complete PC and a legit OS to run and game on it. Sure, it can't allow you to work on it, i.e. not as versatile as a PC, but I can buy a laptop for work and still be in the money as oppose to trying to build a gaming PC at this point in time.
Glad we have one who understands what I'm trying to point out. Good on you mate!

From the Crysis Remastered video, we can see clearly that the RDNA chip is juggling with different resolutions all the time which is fabulous! This could be misleading but I say FidelityFX CAS or FSR is built-in to the XBox Series X. Rumour says it will be released to PC soon, something like in June?

At USD 499 it's really a very good deal. Check this one out @ 15"20' when he meant to say that the price/quality of the parts are so unbelievably good

Last edited:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
No point in building a gaming pc if all you do is game.. really.
That means if all what i want to do is Gaming i better buy a Console?

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
I agree the shortage is temporary, but nobody is sure how long this will last. I was anticipating a June to Sep 2021 timeframe when this shortage started last year, but it seems its gonna take awhile longer. For those who are not looking to play games that requires a keyboard and mouse for best experience, I feel console is the way to go. Even down the road when everything settles down and GPUs are readily available, I still think its a good investment to tide me through the GPU drought.

Visually and in performance, consoles can't beat a good GPU/ gaming PC for sure. But like you said, it just works with minimal hassles. Developers would have optimized the visuals vs performance to the best they could, instead of leaving us to try and fiddle around with it. They are however not always bug/ glitch free. One mostly just don't have to contend with issues where a Windows update will break something in game, etc. The one downside with console gaming is that we tend to pay more for the games. Even on sale, the prices I find on Xbox store tend to cost more than say Steam.
That's why they come up with the Game pass which is ingenious. I paid 50 bucks for CP2077 and now it's sitting in the library becoz my PC can't run it with Ray Tracing. With game pass I don't need to own the game, a bit like Netflix.

That's one thing. The other is that there are far too many models out there each with different capabilities and prices. It's just too confusing and after weeks of research, I still can't figure out which is the best value to get, can you? Frustrating is that while one is good for a few titles the same card is not as good for another few titles, I mean phuck it man!

Why is it that some titles are favoring n- cards while some are favoring A- cards? You (nVidia & AMD) fight against each other no problem with that, but don't divide the gamers community for Christ sake!

Yet, some titles are exclusive to consoles and they are really darn good. I still keep my PC, but now I open up my hobbies to one more platforms which I see it being healthier and happier in the days, weeks and years to come. In a way, I get less addicted to PC gaming in the long run.

Last edited: