• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor shuts loses signal while pc is still running and fans go on full rpm

bert potokar

So recently my pc started blue screening and yeah monitor was losing signal bla bla. They later checked my pc at the store where I bought it from but they didn't really find the answer they just reinstalled and installed some new drivers and changed some bios. It was looking good till yesterday when my monitor lost signal and pc was running and fans were going on full rpm. The only thing I can do is to restart my pc (button) I also tried repluging hdmi cables but noting. Pls if somebody knows what the case could be I would aprecciate every respond

specs:
GPU-Rtx 2070 super
CPU-Ryzen 7 3700x
PSU-Corsair cx650m
STORAGE-Samsung 970evo plus
RAM-Gskill tridentZ 16gb 3200mhz

Processor 5800X3D 2208PGS -30 CO all cores 120WPPT
Motherboard X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Optimus Foundation, EK FLT80 D5, Bykski Gpu block, Corsair/HWlabs 240mm, 280mm radiators
Memory 4x8 Gskill 3600c15 & Patriot 4400c19 @3800c15-10-16-13-27-40-288 1.51v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3080ti @1875 .850mv ~ 300w
Storage 970 evo plus 2tb, Teamgroup 1tb, 860 evo 500gb, 870 evo 2tb, Exos 4tb, Exos 6tb
Display(s) Acer EI342CKR 34" 3440x1440 @150hz, 27" Acer KA272U 2560x1440 @75hz
Case Corsair C70 OD green
Audio Device(s) Phillips SHP9500
Power Supply ROG THOR 1000w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB wireless
Keyboard Corsair K95 MX Brown
Software Multiboot
Benchmark Scores are good
Is it giving you a Blue screen before it stops displaying anything? or does it just shut the screen off right away and fans ramp up to 100%?

Do you monitor temps? I don't really think that's the issue but just to be sure, everything is staying cool right?
Everything running stock? using pbo? memory oc?

I had a similar issue for awhile (screen goes black immediately and gpu fans begin stage 1 launch) which I think was caused by some static discharge, and the fix turned out to be a combination of these two things:

Make sure your Gpu has good contact, pull it out and clean the golden fingers with isopropyl, gently blow out the pcie slot with some compressed air. (mine had some gunk) Make sure it's seated right when putting it back in.

Be sure that your psu is grounded and plugged into a proper outlet.

Also, Just overall double check all your connections. Make sure nothing is too close/shorting to the case from the back of your mobo, and that all your cables are good.

bert potokar

Motherboard?
Is it giving you a Blue screen before it stops displaying anything? or does it just shut the screen off right away and fans ramp up to 100%?

Do you monitor temps? I don't really think that's the issue but just to be sure, everything is staying cool right?
Everything running stock? using pbo? memory oc?

I had a similar issue for awhile (screen goes black immediately and gpu fans begin stage 1 launch) which I think was caused by some static discharge, and the fix turned out to be a combination of these two things:

Make sure your Gpu has good contact, pull it out and clean the golden fingers with isopropyl, gently blow out the pcie slot with some compressed air. (mine had some gunk) Make sure it's seated right when putting it back in.

Be sure that your psu is grounded and plugged into a proper outlet.

Also, Just overall double check all your connections. Make sure nothing is too close/shorting to the case from the back of your mobo, and that all your cables are good.
No blue screen at all. I think it only crashes when I play games. But the weird thing is sometimes it happens every day then maybe every other day and then no crash for like a month. Its really confusing. Do you think its a hardware problem or maybe cpu temps are to high ? And yeah dude everything is running stock.

Motherboard?
Asus tuf b450-plus gaming

Last edited:
Hi,

OK. This is a pre built system you purchased from a store right?

This sounds like a possible hardware issue.
Is it still under warranty? If so just save yourself a headache, return it, tell them it isn't working correctly and demand they fix it or refund you.
Because If they haven't really inspected the hardware only the OS as you claim then they aren't doing their job. A few simple tests on a workbench will rule out most problems. Ask them to swap the PSU for another and test it. failing that check the CPU is pasted and seated properly. The list is endless and any good store should know what needs to be done.

Be nice of course. If they huff and puff let them. They've got your money and you've got a faulty PC. Don't accept it.

Last edited:

bert potokar

Hi,

OK. This is a pre built system you purchased from a store right?

This sounds like a possible hardware issue.
Is it still under warranty? If so just save yourself a headache, return it, tell them it isn't working correctly and demand they fix it or refund you.
Because If they haven't really inspected the hardware only the OS as you claim then they aren't doing their job. A few simple tests on a workbench will rule out most problems. Ask them to swap the PSU for another and test it. failing that check the CPU is pasted and seated properly. The list is endless and any good store should know what needs to be done.

Be nice of course. If they huff and puff let them. They've got your money and you've got a faulty PC. Don't accept it.
I just noticed 1 fan on the gpu is not working. Is there a chance gpu is the problem? And yes I have warranty.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I just noticed 1 fan on the gpu is not working. Is there a chance gpu is the problem? And yes I have warranty.
How are the temps on your GPU? My old 980 Ti had also one broken fan and the temps got up to 90C.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
My instant bet would be the power supply. Corsair CX???M units are unreliable where im from and ive replaced a fair few of them with non corsair units and everything worked fine after that.

For low end office units or HTPCs. The CX stuff would be more than fine. but for powerful systems. Its not great.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
My instant bet would be the power supply. Corsair CX???M units are unreliable where im from and ive replaced a fair few of them with non corsair units and everything worked fine after that.
Good point, CXs have never been quality ones.

bert potokar

How are the temps on your GPU? My old 980 Ti had also one broken fan and the temps got up to 90C.
I noticed my fps was much lower and I think temps are the reason. It crashed again like 10 min ago.

For low end office units or HTPCs. The CX stuff would be more than fine. but for powerful systems. Its not great.
But like this pc is only like 7 months old.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
But like this pc is only like 7 months old.

poop doesnt turn into french cuisine in 7 months.

If the unit is bad -- it will stay bad. I replaced units that were 3 months old. then the replacement that came factory sealed from the manufacturer and retailer also failed. One failed pretty much instantly. The other took about a month before it went bad again. Swapped them both with EVGA GQ units -- And that was 3 years ago and i havent heard a peep from those clients since otherwise they would have called me up.

Want something good quality that will last for a long time??

Pick a power supply from Tier A, B or C -- You dont need one from a A or B but if you can invest the money, then you'll most likely get a power supply that will last two or three complete system overhauls before being retired and even then you'll retire it because its old and not because its faulty

Last edited:

bert potokar

poop doesnt turn into french cuisine in 7 months.

If the unit is bad -- it will stay bad. I replaced units that were 3 months old. then the replacement that came factory sealed from the manufacturer and retailer also failed. One failed pretty much instantly. The other took about a month before it went bad again. Swapped them both with EVGA GQ units -- And that was 3 years ago and i havent heard a peep from those clients since otherwise they would have called me up
Oh hahhahahha bad one. Are you talking about Cx series. I mean I really have no luck now I probaly have to spend money on a better psu and gpu. I mean I have warranty but which psu do you recommend? And do you think I should get another 2070 super or should I upgrade. For me its just weird how can a f***ing gpu break in 7 months like shit.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Check the list provided and pick something out that fits your budget. higher end corsair units are excellent. FSP, EVGA, Seasonic --- These are great too but check the list to know which ones to buy.

Even things you pay thousands for can fail. Nothing is unbreakable or invincible. Back when the GTX2080Ti was released, those cards cost £1200-1500 and they had problems. Some are design faults while others are just plain RNG.

It pays to get a GOOD power supply. You can cheap out on a lot of things but a power supply is something you never should cheap out on. Your graphics card is probably fine. It just needs repasting or your case needs better airflow.

bert potokar

Check the list provided and pick something out that fits your budget. higher end corsair units are excellent. FSP, EVGA, Seasonic --- These are great too but check the list to know which ones to buy.

Even things you pay thousands for can fail. Nothing is unbreakable or invincible. Back when the GTX2080Ti was released, those cards cost £1200-1500 and they had problems. Some are design faults while others are just plain RNG.

It pays to get a GOOD power supply. You can cheap out on a lot of things put a power supply is something you never should cheap out on. Your graphics card is probably fine. It just needs repasting or your case needs better airflow.
So do you think theres a 100% the psu is the problem. But I'll get my gpu fixed or replaced.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
So do you think theres a 100% the psu is the problem. But I'll get my gpu fixed or replaced.

I mean if you want your PC shipped to me for a full on diagnosis then youre welcome to. I dont work for free though, Otherwise, You'll have to bring me my crystal ball so i can consult it.

I can 100% tell you that the CX power supplies arent very good. If you want to replace everything then its up to you. Im no clairvoyant but Corsair CX power supplies are bad

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Install something like MSI Afterburner to have an OSD to show your GPU temps while you're gaming.

bert potokar

I mean if you want your PC shipped to me for a full on diagnosis then youre welcome to. I dont work for free though, Otherwise, You'll have to bring me my crystal ball so i can consult it.

I can 100% tell you that the CX power supplies arent very good. If you want to replace everything then its up to you. Im no clairvoyant but Corsair CX power supplies are bad
Thanks for u kindness but I live in Slovenia and my pc was already at the shop where I bought it from and these donkeys didn't find the problem. Do you have any questions so I can answer and maybe we can find the problem. It crashed 2 times in 30 min.

Install something like MSI Afterburner to have an OSD to show your GPU temps while you're gaming.
I will tnx alot. What did you do when your 980 fan broke ?

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thanks for u kindness but I live in Slovenia and my pc was already at the shop where I bought it from and these donkeys didn't find the problem. Do you have any questions so I can answer and maybe we can find the problem. It crashed 2 times in 30 min.

I will tnx alot. What did you do when your 980 fan broke ?

Just tell them to replace the power supply with a higher end corsair power supply. TX or HX.

Take it back my friend. It's under warranty. Save your soul....And possible cardiac issues in the future.
If it's built on part sub standard hardware this was bound to happen.

FreedomEclipse is right.

Last edited:

bert potokar

Take it back my friend. It's under warranty. Save your soul....And possible cardiac issues in the future.

FreedomEclipse is right.
I noticed my gpu fans get on max rpm when it crashes.

I would incline for GPU issues too,but, I wouldnt denny PSU troubles.
before RMA de GPU (without obvious reasons) try to dissmantle and reassemble all; sometimes a wonder is happening. Also before RMA (something) try (if you can) some components in another PC known that is stable.
And good luck :))

bert potokar

Ay guys. When I move the PCle cable on the gpu it happens. And red light shows up for like 1 sec on the gpu.

There you go

Ay guys. When I move the PCle cable on the gpu it happens. And red light shows up for like 1 sec on the gpu.

There you go

FreedomEclipse is right.
Just tell them to replace the power supply with a higher end corsair power supply. TX or HX.
I would incline for GPU issues too,but, I wouldnt denny PSU troubles.
before RMA de GPU (without obvious reasons) try to dissmantle and reassemble all; sometimes a wonder is happening. Also before RMA (something) try (if you can) some components in another PC known that is stable.
And good luck :))
Is this the problem ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-104125_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-104125_Instagram.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 844
Try different cables or try it in a friends machine if you can. I wouldn't mess with the cables while the power is on either.
Something may be loose.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Dark Hero
Cooling Custom loop
Memory 32 GB Trident Z Neo 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Palit 3090 Gaming Pro
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500gb Nvme, Samsung: 860 2tb SSD x2, 870 1tb, sandisk 4tb
Display(s) Asus PG32uq
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Rog Chakram Core
Keyboard Tuf Gaming
Software Win 11 64bit
In the pic shown looks like the 2pin section of pciepower for gpu is not pushed all the way in ( the one towards the backend of gpu)