• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[EOL] Arctic MX-5 is here!!Tests incoming! Completed. Now its MX-6 testing time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone might want to try dielectric grease; it claims high thermal conductivity (this I don't believe) but it is good to 400°F
Technical_Data_Sheet_Silicone_Dielectric_Vacuum_Grease.pdf (super-lube.com)
0.16 W/K m

I already tried petroleum jelly and it wasn't that great even if it beat SuperLube thermal compound, and yes I understand why one might not want to risk trying this.
I actually have some of that very grease. I use it to service & relube fan bearings. I tried it at one point more than a year ago when I first tried out the copper grease. It did not perform well, thermally. The CPU was edging near thermal throttle. I killed the test part way through. Just didn't document it at the time. Can't remember if I mentioned it in the thread of discussion back then..

Last edited:
I actually have some of that very grease. I use it to service & relube fan bearings. I tried it at one point more than a year ago when I first tried out the copper grease. It did not perform well, thermally. The CPU was edging near thermal throttle. I killed the test part way through. Just didn't document it at the time. Can't remember if I mentioned it in the thread of discussion back then..
Hi! Which paste would you recommend for laptop direct dies in terms of longevity and no pump-out? Thanks! :)

Hi! Which paste would you recommend for laptop direct dies in terms of longevity and no pump-out? Thanks! :)
I thought this was answered several times already.

Thermalright TFX (probably most durable but most difficult to spread, try a hair dryer or boil the syringe first (let it cool down before handling).
SYY 157 / FuzeIce Plus / Maxtor CTG9 (these all seem to be the exact same paste. Very similar in behavior to TFX but much easier to spread than TFX, still thick. SYY-157 is the cheapest price, $13 for 8 grams on Amazon from "TG-US").

I have seen no evidence of "pump-out effect"... ever, with any TIM. Worrying about it is as effective as trying to put C3PO back together with bubblegum.

That said, "dry-out" is actually a real problem but the effect of which will vary from TIM to TIM. MX-5 will not suffer from that problem due to it's formulation. So MX-5 is good choice. MX-4(if you can find it) is also a good choice. However, pretty much any quality TIM will work well for you in a laptop.

BTW, Welcome to TPU!

Last edited:
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I have seen no evidence of "pump-out effect"... ever, with any TIM. Worrying about it is as effective as trying to put C3PO back together with bubblegum.

That said, "dry-out" is actually a real problem but the effect of which vary from TIM to TIM. MX-5 will not suffer from that problem due to it's formulation. So MX-5 is good choice. MX-4(if you can find it) is also a good choice. However, pretty much any quality TIM will work well for you in a laptop.

BTW, Welcome to TPU!

Pumping out is very real on laptop, MX4 and Kryonaut wouldn't last more than a few months before sign of degradation show up, lots of TPU forum users already reported it.

Like @Falkentyne said, Thermalright TF-X is currently the best TIM suited for laptop, I have had TF-X for a year now on my 10875H + 2070 Super laptop and thermal performance is still top notch.

Pumping out is very real on laptop, MX4 and Kryonaut wouldn't last more than a few months before sign of degradation show up, lots of TPU forum users already reported it.
I've never seen this and I work on laptops all the time. MX-4 performance never degrades. I don't know where all this talk about "pump-out effect" is coming from but I call complete BS.

Thermalright TF-X is currently the best TIM suited for laptop
Ok, go with that. TFX has been test and seems to perform very well if you want to spend the money. Examples;
Thermalright TFX $14

MX-4 $7

MX-5 $7

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Ok, go with that. TFX has been test and seems to perform very well if you want to spend the money. Examples;
Thermalright TFX $14

MX-4 $7

MX-5 $7

1-time application of TF-X would last forever on laptop while you would be replacing MX4 every 2-3months or at best every 6months so comparing price of TIM is futile.

And what do you mean "work on laptops"? do you mean replacing the TIM and give it back to customers or you have a high end gaming laptop yourself? because you need to check the thermal every now and then to know if there is any degradation.

I've never seen this and I work on laptops all the time. MX-4 performance never degrades. I don't know where all this talk about "pump-out effect" is coming from but I call complete BS.

Thermalright TFX $14

MX-4 $7

MX-5 $7
Nguyen is right on this. Check notebookreview forums. There are posts everywhere in almost all of the sections about degrading paste performance. Most are in the Alienware sections, and some discussion in random MSI BGAbook and some Clevo sections. The overwhelming complaints however are in the Dellienware sections, with the Tripod imbalanced heatsinks and warped cold plates and imperfect mounts (did anyone really think a heatsink with three screws was a good idea?).

I dealt with this pump out effect _extensively_ on my own MSI Titan. When I first used Kryonaut, I had to deal with high core temp deltas (core #1 being like 8C hotter than core #0), which I was only able to fix by using thinner VRM thermal pads and playing musical chairs with screwing down the heatsink a certain way. But after a few days, up to one week, sure enough, I noticed the core temp deltas doing the "Runaway temps" thing. Then I realized what the other users were finally dealing with. And sure enough, whenever I saw the core temp deltas reach 10C, I took off the heatsink and noticed most of the thermal paste was outside of the core. Yikes.

That's your pump out.

Some users have had MX-4 dry out--basically the paste separating from the oil due to extremely high heat on direct die (MX4 doesn't exactly like 99C temps). So you ended up with paste around the edge of the entire CPU, and swimmy liquidy material on the core.

I managed to get it somewhat stabilized with a LOT of work, but I still couldn't get the core temp deltas below 6C. So I started buying other pastes. I tried Phobya Nanogrease Extreme first, but that degraded *faster* than Kryonaut! Even though the initial temps were 1C cooler. And I'm very OCD about this stuff. Then I switched to Coolermaster Gel Maker Nano. That was more stable for a little while (although performed worse than Kryonaut) but even that pumped out.

So then I moved to liquid metal. Conductonaut.

I applied it, got nice temps at first, but after about one week, I saw the core deltas slowly getting away from each other. At that point I knew exactly what was going on. The temps were still better than Kryonaut. So I left it on for about a month and just dealt with it. After a month....10C core temp deltas and temps were WORSE than Kryonaut was on a fresh application.

I took off the heatsink and noticed ALL of the LM had hardened and was nothing but an oxidized layer. I never even realized something like that was possible. I scrubbed all of it off, applied a new layer and temps were back to normal, maybe 1C worse, but the same issue stared slowly happening again.

Thats when i got into heatsink modding. I ordered a spare heatsink from MSI (From Tom Ho, from their parts department) and sanded the heatsink as flat as possible. First I polished it to 5000 grit, however I remember people on the Clevo section of NBR saying that LM hates polished surfaces (I later found this out the hard way with my delidded 9900k and IHS underside) and again had some long term issues, so I roughened the heatsink up with 1500 grit, (this was after I found out what to do with my 9900k IHS and seeing how LM tends to "pool to itself slowly" on fully polished surfaces under compression--very poor wetting ability!)), and then spread the LM (without applying downwards pressure) for about 15 minutes around the entire HS until it stared becoming "thicker" (due to gallium absorption slowly into the roughened surface), applied a second layer on top, mounted it, and bam: perfect temps. 2C core temp delta max.

It's been almost 2 years now and still the same 2C core temp delta, with a perfectly flat heatsink and roughened surface and LM.
I even wrote a guide on notebookreview about how I helped address the LM on copper heatsink durability issue.
Papusan has his own method--he applies LM on IHS and heatsink, bakes it in an oven at 100C for two hours (as long as the heatsink is safe to bake), then removes the parts from the oven, wipes off the old LM, leaving the silver stain behind, then reapplies new LM on top. Gives 1+ year durability since the high heat caused early gallium absorption (thus limiting the battery effect (CU->GA differential) from a new LM layer).

Unfortunately I didn't test regular paste with the sanded heatsink, so I can't give you the results of that. But pumpout is very real, and it all depends on how well the laptop is designed and how balanced the heatsink is. Imperfect heatsinks + weak PSI pressure + convex cores=durability issues.

BTW I'm the person who 'cracked' the MSI power Limit problem with the 230W (GTX 1070) vs 330W (GTX 1080) limitations (to avoid premature CPU throttling and extremely high battery drain) on TDP modded GTX 1070's that exceeded 200W TDP, via the EC RAM (in RW Everything), to make the laptop think a 1080 was installed instead of a 1070. So I put in a hell of a lot of time and work in on this stuff.

Anyway I know I linked this thread before, but you should go through it carefully. You'll find this pump out and dry out information discussed at length.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
1-time application of TF-X would last forever on laptop while you would be replacing MX4 every 2-3months or at best every 6months

what are you smoking bro. you don't have to replace mx-4 or mx-5 that often. even in 4-6 years these pastes are still fine.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
what are you smoking bro. you don't have to replace mx-4 or mx-5 that often. even in 4-6 years these pastes are still fine.

Yeah sure for desktop CPU any TIM is fine for a long time, we are talking about laptop CPU here.
Choosing the best TIM for laptop is very important as you can improve CPU performance considerably, with ASUS using LM for their 2021 laptops.

My 10875H with TF-X would beat any laptop with 10980HK with stock TIM in cinebench, the best 14usd I ever spent LOL

cinebench.png

Yeah sure for desktop CPU any TIM is fine for a long time, we are talking about laptop CPU here.
Choosing the best TIM for laptop is very important as you can improve CPU performance considerably, with ASUS using LM for their 2021 laptops.

My 10875H with TF-X would beat any laptop with 10980HK with stock TIM in cinebench, the best 14usd I ever spent LOL

View attachment 202928

That's a 7C temp delta on an 8 core CPU. That's about the same delta as my delidded 9900k + LM on die + resealed HS + TFX on top. That's about as good as you can get and shows that Nguyen is on point here. Without TFX, his delta would probably be 10C or more. That's some good paste.

For reference, when I had LM (instead of TFX) on the top of my 9900k IHS, the delta was 6C. Since my 9900k is a test bench now (even my 10900k ES is on standby as I'm on a 11900k), there's no need to have LM on the 9900k anymore.

@Falkentyne @nguyen
The discussion about "pump-out effect" is kinda off-topic here. If you want to continue the discussion, create a new thread dedicated to the subject.

Additionally, unless you can provide information that has evidence and merit it's not worth discussing. If such an effect were real it would have been discovered long ago(decades) and would be common knowledge. It isn't. It's total hogwash. Let it go.

And for the record, where thermal performance is concerned, there are no fundamental differences between desktops and laptops. The physics are the same, the mechanics are the same and the engineering is the same. TIM's will perform IDENTICALLY on one VS the other.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
@Falkentyne @nguyen
The discussion about "pump-out effect" is kinda off-topic here. If you want to continue the discussion, create a new thread dedicated to the subject.

Additionally, unless you can provide information that has evidence and merit it's not worth discussing. If such an effect were real it would have been discovered long ago(decades) and would be common knowledge. It isn't. It's total hogwash. Let it go.

And for the record, where thermal performance is concerned, there are no fundamental differences between desktops and laptops. The physics are the same, the mechanics are the same and the engineering is the same. TIM's will perform IDENTICALLY on one VS the other.

Pretty sure this video has been posted before in this thread but it seems that you were "too experienced" to watch through it

Pretty sure this video has been posted before in this thread but it seems that you were "too experienced" to watch through it
Got a time index? I did see that video, skimmed through it...

New thread created, let's move this topic of discussion over there;

Last edited:
Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Got a time index? I did see that video, skimmed through it...

Go to 9:00, or if you are too lazy
TL;DR: Curing time is BS, avoiding air bubble in TIM is BS, effect of mounting pressure, pump-out effect is the biggest problem, LM is more effective at high temperature, etc...

Go to 9:00, or if you are too lazy
TL;DR: Curing time is BS, avoiding air bubble in TIM is BS, effect of mounting pressure, pump-out effect is the biggest problem, LM is more effective at high temperature, etc...
Yeah I remember this video. Can't believe I managed to sit through all of it. Good stuff but a little too "Buy my stuff" heavy for me.
Curing is interesting, actually. I know my TFX temps decreased by 2C after the first week of application on my 10900k. I assume that's because it's such a thick paste and as it settles through thermal cycling, it gets into the imperfections better with time. I never saw that with Kryonaut and definitely not with MX-5.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
That's a 7C temp delta on an 8 core CPU. That's about the same delta as my delidded 9900k + LM on die + resealed HS + TFX on top. That's about as good as you can get and shows that Nguyen is on point here. Without TFX, his delta would probably be 10C or more. That's some good paste.

For reference, when I had LM (instead of TFX) on the top of my 9900k IHS, the delta was 6C. Since my 9900k is a test bench now (even my 10900k ES is on standby as I'm on a 11900k), there's no need to have LM on the 9900k anymore.

Well I tried Kryonaut before TF-X on my Laptop and the Kryonaut pumped out after 1 month, leading CoreT delta of 15C, basically 1 core just hit thermal throttle point way before others :(, at much much lower TDP too.
I have plenty of other pastes to try out but since TF-X is so good, I'm keeping it as is.
Thermal paste.jpg

Maybe I will do a test between these: Thermagic ZF-EX, Noctua NT-H2, Kingping KPx, Conductonaut and Hydronaut on an R9 290 GPU later this month

Well I tried Kryonaut before TF-X on my Laptop and the Kryonaut pumped out after 1 month, leading CoreT delta of 15C, basically 1 core just hit thermal throttle point way before others :(, at much much lower TDP too.
I have plenty of other pastes to try out but since TF-X is so good, I'm keeping it as is.
View attachment 202935

Maybe I will do a test between these: Thermagic ZF-EX, Noctua NT-H2, Kingping KPx, Conductonaut and Hydronaut on an R9 290 GPU later this month

I would test SYY-157. That's the current paste to give a shot at.
It seems that SYY-157, Maxtor CTG9 (Unconfirmed but from watching a spread video on aliexpress, it acts identically to SYY-157) and FuzeIce Plus are the exact same paste.

ZF-EX is the same as TFX. Tested them both side by side. Finger test shows them identical exactly, and identical performance. Just the usual batch variations like the four 6.2g TFX tubes I've had (some extremely dry/rubbery, some normal, still extremely thick), but one of the TFX tubes was drier than the worst ZF-EX tube (still worked, just could not be spread at all, had to do the X pattern). The best ZF-EX and best TFX syringes had the exact same consistency. One of the TFX syringes I had was a bit wetter than any of the others.

Anyway,
Grab it while the 15% coupon still works. Id get the 8g one (comes in two 4g syringes).

System Name Msi PC
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI b550 gaming gen 3
Cooling deepcool gammaxx 200t (deepcool z10 paste)
Memory 32(4x8) gb g.skill 3200 (qvl)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 8GB Ventus 2X OC
Storage Ssd Crucial mx500 500 gb
Display(s) Philips 222V8LA/00 dp 75 hz freesync
Case Q-Tech Hermes 1004 (4x12cm fans)
Audio Device(s) Audigy fx pcie
Power Supply Corsair cv 750w bronze
Mouse PATRIOT PV530OULK VIPER V530 (500hz)
Keyboard Gigabyte force k81
Software Windows 11
@Falkentyne i found that the deep cool z9 don't suffer also from this effect. It is hard and only 20% silicon.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
I want to try a different paste on some GPU's. MX-5 or SYY? I have Amazon Prime and will order it today. What's the consensus? I'm not changing from Gelid GC Extreme on my AIO's and have a nice supply already on hand. I also have MX-4 and a few other brands here as well. The last GPU's I did with MX-4 a few months ago are already running warmer to the point of wanting to repaste them again.

I want to try a different paste on some GPU's. MX-5 or SYY? I have Amazon Prime and will order it today. What's the consensus? I'm not changing from Gelid GC Extreme on my AIO's and have a nice supply already on hand. I also have MX-4 and a few other brands here as well. The last GPU's I did with MX-4 a few months ago are already running warmer to the point of wanting to repaste them again.

SYY-157 on Nvidia GPU's or any laptops for sure.
MX-5 on IHS CPU
MX-5 may be fine on AMD GPU's since afaik they are nice and flat and have tons of contact pressure with all the zillions of screws.

I'd get 8g of SYY-157 especially with the double discount (15% off on amazon and a 15% off coupon on top of that).

And Elmor was impressed with SYY-157.

1623096005745.png

That's on an IHS.
direct die and GPU's should fare even better (I found SYY-157 to be equal to or 1C *BETTER* than Kryonaut Extreme on my mobile GTX 1070 MXM).

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I just ordered an 8g tube of SYY-157 for about $10.60USD plus shipping. I am using the TF7 that came with my cooler, but it only had 2 applications in it. This one is a tad thin.. I wont have it for a couple of weeks, as I just made the order and posted here.

And right now I am to snobby to break out my AS5.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Lots of pastes are within 2c of thermal grizzly kryonaut one being nt-h1 lol

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
SYY-157 on Nvidia GPU's or any laptops for sure.
MX-5 on IHS CPU
MX-5 may be fine on AMD GPU's since afaik they are nice and flat and have tons of contact pressure with all the zillions of screws.

I'd get 8g of SYY-157 especially with the double discount (15% off on amazon and a 15% off coupon on top of that).

And Elmor was impressed with SYY-157.

View attachment 203075

That's on an IHS.
direct die and GPU's should fare even better (I found SYY-157 to be equal to or 1C *BETTER* than Kryonaut Extreme on my mobile GTX 1070 MXM).
8 grams on the way via Amazon Prime for $10.57, here in two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.