• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Even CDPR devs were laughing at the state of Cyberpunk 2077 before release...

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I saw those videos earlier today thought and they were pretty funny. I doubt the millions that pre-ordered the game or bought it shortly after release found them all that funny. CDPR needed another year to fix the game before release but it's common for games to release that are buggy or just plain broken.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Hero (soon to be replaced by Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master)
Cooling 360mm Be Quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood; is currently Razer Basilisk V3; Basilisk Ultimate for gaming
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently HyperX Alloy Origins 65
I saw those videos earlier today thought and they were pretty funny. I doubt the millions that pre-ordered the game or bought it shortly after release found them all that funny. CDPR needed another year to fix the game before release but it's common for games to release that are buggy or just plain broken.

The sad thing is, it never was "back in the day". I'm speaking mainly from a console perspective, mind you, but when you bought a game, it was an actual finished game, rather than the half-assed crap that's out there now. Sure, Company A releases a game @ 60 bucks, but you're not actually getting a complete product, which is where DLC crap comes in, so on top of the initial 60 bucks, you now have to spend EVEN MORE to get content that should have been included with the initial purchase price!

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I doubt the millions that pre-ordered the game or bought it shortly after release found them all that funny. CDPR needed another year to fix the game before release but it's common for games to release that are buggy or just plain broken.

Still remember a year ago when I was talking to people on this very forum telling them that the delays are not a good sign at all and that the game is gonna be a dud and quite literally no one believed me. Everyone thought that they just needed time to "polish" the game. You don't delay a game four times for polish, you do it because the game is in a catastrophically bad, non shippable state.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Still remember a year ago when I was talking to people on this very forum telling them that the delays are not a good sign at all and that the game is gonna be a dud and quite literally no one believed me. Everyone thought that they just needed time to "polish" the game. You don't delay a game four times for polish, you do it because the game is in a catastrophically bad, non shippable state.

It's because CDPR was saying in the gaming news when they were saying that Cyberpunk 2077 "would not release until it's ready. Hell, the game sold on pre-orders 8 million units and even got really good reviews by the media for the PC version but not the consoles version. It won over 100 awards at E3 2018. The hype was incredible.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The sad thing is, it never was "back in the day". I'm speaking mainly from a console perspective, mind you, but when you bought a game, it was an actual finished game, rather than the half-assed crap that's out there now. Sure, Company A releases a game @ 60 bucks, but you're not actually getting a complete product, which is where DLC crap comes in, so on top of the initial 60 bucks, you now have to spend EVEN MORE to get content that should have been included with the initial purchase price!

yep, those were the good ol days.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Because at the time. CDPR didnt have a history of any sort of wrong doing or anti-consumer BS under its belt, They gave the community no reason to doubt them. They built quite a cult following with their Witcher franchise. Great games that didnt have massive chunks cut off to sell back as DLC one small peice at a time or loot boxes containing XP/Gold boosters or weapon/armor skins.

The community had a lot of faith in CDPR that they would deliver an amazing game. But they of course shot themselves in the foot and nobody expected it or saw it coming. Even though they made tonnes of money from pre-orders, Its already a dead game. Nobody even talks about it anymore. Occasionally you'll get the odd youtuber who talks about updates that are coming out for the game but thats about it. Just about every other channel was talking about it post-launch and now all the noise is dead and people are off playing different games.

The free DLC will probably bring a few thousand players back to the game but otherwise the game is done. CDPR is done and on just about everyones shit list when it comes to publishers/developers that cant be trusted.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Because at the time. CDPR didnt have a history of any sort of wrong doing or anti-consumer BS under its belt, They gave the community no reason to doubt them. They built quite a cult following with their Witcher franchise. Great games that didnt cut massive chunks of the game off to sell back as DLC one small peice at a time or loot boxes containing XP or gold boosters.

The community had a lot of faith in CDPR that they would deliver an amazing game. But they of course shot themselves in the foot and nobody expect it or saw it coming. Even though they made tonnes of money from pre-orders, Its already a dead game. Nobody even talks about it anymore. Occasionally you'll get the odd youtuber who talks about updates that are coming out for the game but thats about it. Just about every other channel was talking about it post-launch and now all the noise is dead and people are off playing different games.

The free DLC will probably bring a few thousand players back to the game but otherwise the game is done. CDPR is done and on just about everyones shit list when it comes to publishers/developers that cant be trusted.

Exactly. I didn't pre-order because I simply don't do that anymore, but I did trust them as a company more than I had ever trusted a company in the past. I think it was a shock to everyone. Lesson learned. /shrug

There is only one game I am looking forward to this year and that is Two Point Campus, spinoff of Two Point Hospital. Getting to make my own University campus and have an RTS view of it all sounds like a blast to me.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
PRODUCER CALLS PRE-RELEASE VIDEOS “A FUN COMPOSITION” IN NOW-DELETED TWEET

Clickbait title at its finest.
"Even CDPR devs were laughing at the state of Cyberpunk 2077 before release..."
The videos, which are claimed to have been created a few months before Cyberpunk 2077’s release in December 2020

While I do not like the state that CP2077 shipped in videos like that are a normal thing that helps people vent. Bugs and glitches are a normal thing in development cycle. If anyone f'd up here it was the management.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Bugs and glitches are a normal thing in development cycle.
Not bugs and glitches that were that bad and not nearing the end of development cycle.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Clickbait title at its finest.
"Even CDPR devs were laughing at the state of Cyberpunk 2077 before release..."

While I do not like the state that CP2077 shipped in videos like that are a normal thing that helps people vent. Bugs and glitches are a normal thing in development cycle. If anyone f'd up here it was the management.

At the end of the day the fault always lies with the management. Even if it's incompetent employees messing things up it's still the management to blame because they could have fired the incompetent employees if they couldn't be helped to perform better. CDPR gave into the pressure to release the game and not keep delaying it so it got released with too many bugs.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Not bugs and glitches that were that bad and not nearing the end of development cycle.
Do you have a specific date for each one in the video? Because as far as we all know it took more than few months to make a game of that scale.

Bug video for Witcher 3:
1623179537885.png

3 years and borked launch make a difference, huh?

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Do you have a specific date for each one in the video? Because as far as we all know it took more than few months to make a game of that scale.

I was talking more about the bugs and glitches that ended in the final game not about those videos in particular. I have some insight in the gaming industry and I can tell you that some of the issues the game was shipped with should have prevented the game to even pass into the beta phase.

It's cool to make fun of Witcher 3 since that game turned out mostly fine but not so much with Cyberpunk.

"Our testing did not show a big part of the issues you experienced while playing the game"​

it shows within the video its on dec 7 2020, same month as game launch...

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Haha, I remember that too. Because I was thinking and saying the same. First one, I let slide. Well... I made a cheeky joke about war in the streets if the game was a hot pile. Second one made it crystal clear that joke was less of a joke than I meant it to be.

FWIW I still enjoyed the game, but for me the delays, and the things they were saying about the delays were like... "We've all seen this before." It was so obviously bad management... not even different bad management. It was the same exact thing you see anywhere else. Same spiels and noncommittals. Oh, and the crunching after making such a big deal out of never ever needing to do it again. That says to me that a plan fell apart big time somewhere. I have some experience in management and I can tell you if I ever got that sort of thing from someone on a task or project, I'd already be mounting for a remediation of coming problems. I felt like I knew going in that it was gonna be a mess. Of course, I couldn't actually know, but the sense was so strong. And it's not like that struck me as some big insight that only I could have. It was as intuitive as "Looks like rain today." I brought an umbrella to the Epic store.... looking around like "Nobody seeing this? Okay. Time will tell. Here we go..." No lie, part of me bought it at launch just to see first hand. It just felt like something big...

Like... man. They KNEW so much. And they hid it. Even in acknowledging it, they dodged heavier criticisms about features and mechanics to talk about bugs. It's not cool. I have a hard time respecting how they tried to smooth things over. Everyone behind that can go as far as I care.

They had a lot of goodwill. People wanted to believe their promises. I never fully did, myself. It was more like "Okay, lets see what they do. This could be cool." I can throw in that much. I like TW3 a lot and saw them as one to watch... a studio that could do something special at their best. They've kept more of it than I expected. I really hope this was a big wake-up call for those remaining in the company. The game had so much potential, and not even half of it was realized. Instead, it almost ended them. So it was about the worst outcome, for everyone.

I can get the defensiveness. It's such a huge disappointment for many. I don't really begrudge people that. For others, it was fine. To me, that's regular people stuff that comes with the territory. You are never going to have a situation like this where that isn't a factor. I chalk that up to the ways of the entertainment world and experience. It's going to come down to expectations and experiences every time. I myself would like for there to be clear logic behind these forces, but if there is, I haven't seen it yet. I sometimes get nothing out of games that are objectively good only to lose my life to games that by my own standards have glaring issues.

End of the day, I think it brought some recurring things back to the forefront in ways many didn't expect, when they probably should've. I think people might need to see that. To understand. I think Cyberpunk is still a fun game. I really like it, actually. But I also understand perfectly well what it is... and that many people will still have experiences with it that aren't enjoyable or fulfilling at all. I can look at different parts of the game and see why. And it's obvious where the bulk of the problems came from.

Last edited: