• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Meet Auburndale. The first attempt at an Intel iGPU. Never released, never photographed before now.

System Name CS Prime
Processor i7-5775C @4ghz eDRAM @ 2ghz
Motherboard Z97 Sabertooth USB 3.1 Mk1
Cooling Corsair H90
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3L @ 2ghz x2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080
Storage 512GB NVMe MyDigitalSSD BPXP, 4TB SATA WD Blue
Display(s) Q900RB
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-X3700H
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 650
Mouse MX Master
Keyboard MX Keys
Pity it will never see power.

Attachments

• PXL_20210607_212824731.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210607_212824731.NIGHT.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 263
  • PXL_20210607_211738492.jpg
    PXL_20210607_211738492.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 242
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
never photographed before now.

Ummm, pretty sure that's not true. There is a Youtube video with photos out there from April 2020. And of course, others on your reddit thread showed where there are earlier photos on ebay.

My friend Bing Google can find more.

Not sure I would call that Intel's first attempt either. I note this from 2009: Intel details first CPU with integrated GPU. From what I can find, this is about the same time as the Auburndale. If it got to the prototype/engineering stage of development too, I suspect there were even earlier attempts. I seem to remember discussing integrated processors years before then but my aging memory may be a little fuzzy there. I just seem to remember discussing this with a couple specific colleagues with whom I worked with around 2004 - 2005. But again, not sure of my timing there.

I would not call it a pity it will never see power or hit the market. Intel wisely pursues multiple lines of research and development simultaneously. And when one line of pursuit clearly shows promise over the other(s), they drop R&D on those that don't show as much promise.

Plus, IMO, having a discrete CPU and discrete GPU on the same substrate is not technically an "integrated" processor - at least not as it is known today where they are both on the same die.

BUT - if your point is to illustrate to those interested in the history of microprocessors an important step in the evolution of integrated graphics, then for me, it was a nice walk down memory lane. :)

System Name CS Prime
Cooling Corsair H90
Display(s) Q900RB
Mouse MX Master
Keyboard MX Keys
Ummm, pretty sure that's not true. There is a Youtube video with photos out there from April 2020. And of course, others on your reddit thread showed where there are earlier photos on ebay.

My friend Bing Google can find more.

Not sure I would call that Intel's first attempt either. I note this from 2009: Intel details first CPU with integrated GPU. From what I can find, this is about the same time as the Auburndale. If it got to the prototype/engineering stage of development too, I suspect there were even earlier attempts. I seem to remember discussing integrated processors years before then but my aging memory may be a little fuzzy there. I just seem to remember discussing this with a couple specific colleagues with whom I worked with around 2004 - 2005. But again, not sure of my timing there.

I would not call it a pity it will never see power or hit the market. Intel wisely pursues multiple lines of research and development simultaneously. And when one line of pursuit clearly shows promise over the other(s), they drop R&D on those that don't show as much promise.

Plus, IMO, having a discrete CPU and discrete GPU on the same substrate is not technically an "integrated" processor - at least not as it is known today where they are both on the same die.

BUT - if your point is to illustrate to those interested in the history of microprocessors an important step in the evolution of integrated graphics, then for me, it was a nice walk down memory lane. :)

Knock yourself out with the search engines, there is exactly one previous photo I could find of a similar CPU, which was a previous version, and the photo was corrupt. If you can, more power to you.

That video also isn't the same CPU.

My 5775C also heavily disagrees with your definition of iGPU, since it's also not on the same die and all.

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Knock yourself out with the search engines, there is exactly one previous photo I could find of a similar CPU, which was a previous version, and the photo was corrupt. If you can, more power to you.

That video also isn't the same CPU.

My 5775C also heavily disagrees with your definition of iGPU, since it's also not on the same die and all.

5775C is not what you think it is. The only thing on the separate die is the 128MB eDRAM. The cores, SA, iGPU and eDRAM controller are all on the same die. The GT3e BGA parts are the same, and the GT3 parts have the same fully functional iGPU without the eDRAM.

It is a cool product still and I don't see the reason for all the holier-than-thou hate above, but Clarkdale is essentially the same thing just die shrunk and readily available. I like to think of this as Clarkdale's early early ES lol

System Name CS Prime
Cooling Corsair H90
Display(s) Q900RB
Mouse MX Master
Keyboard MX Keys
5775C is not what you think it is. The only thing on the separate die is the 128MB eDRAM. The cores, SA, iGPU and eDRAM controller are all on the same die. The GT3e BGA parts are the same, and the GT3 parts have the same fully functional iGPU without the eDRAM.

It is a cool product still and I don't see the reason for all the holier-than-thou hate above, but Clarkdale is essentially the same thing just die shrunk and readily available. I like to think of this as Clarkdale's early early ES lol
Yeah, just too tired and too heated at all the hate to think clearly, sorry and thanks. You'd think of all people I would know better too since I delidded the stupid thing.

I swear I don't know why I bother sometimes though.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
but, the real question is....can it...it should it be able to...run Crysis?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Yeah, just too tired and too heated at all the hate to think clearly, sorry and thanks. You'd think of all people I would know better too since I delidded the stupid thing.

It was nice to see bare chipage either way mate Ty.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK

I'm not sure where the hate is coming from, since they're telling the truth as far as we know. You never listed a specific model of what you delidded.

As for your 5775c.

It's literally a 4770k with big iGPU and eDRAM. The entire eDRAM is the other die on the chip.

System Name CS Prime
Cooling Corsair H90
Display(s) Q900RB
Mouse MX Master
Keyboard MX Keys
I'm not sure where the hate is coming from, since they're telling the truth as far as we know.

Auburndale was a mobile only chip, the desktop version, that would have been Havendale.

The only "real" version of it, would be BGA, like the one I found. The previous corrupt picture I found was also BGA. All the other pictures I've found, that video included, are PGA parts. It's easy to see, square, vs rectangle. If it was to actually go into a laptop, it should look like this.

You'll notice in the video Bill_Bright posted above
Watch towards 2/3rd when he posts the pictures of the released Arrandale. You'll notice it's also rectangular. But that was also on a new shrink, so the dies are of differing size.

I've seen lots of supposed pictures of Auburndale, but this is the only one I've ever seen that looked that like corrupted one, and also resembles something that would actually go into a laptop. Somebody in the Reddit post said that there were PGA Auburndales as he tested them. But I can't find any confirmation on that. He DID however, verify that any with dies of varying size are not Auburndale.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
Auburndale was a mobile only chip, the desktop version, that would have been Havendale.

The only "real" version of it, would be BGA, like the one I found. The previous corrupt picture I found was also BGA. All the other pictures I've found, that video included, are PGA parts. It's easy to see, square, vs rectangle. If it was to actually go into a laptop, it should look like this.

You'll notice in the video Bill_Bright posted above
Watch towards 2/3rd when he posts the pictures of the released Arrandale. You'll notice it's also rectangular. But that was also on a new shrink, so the dies are of differing size.

I've seen lots of supposed pictures of Auburndale, but this is the only one I've ever seen that looked that like corrupted one, and also resembles something that would actually go into a laptop. Somebody in the Reddit post said that there were PGA Auburndales as he tested them. But I can't find any confirmation on that. He DID however, verify that any with dies of varying size are not Auburndale.

I just watched that video and it incorrectly states the F series doesn't have an igpu. Sure it is disabled, probably due to a defect in thqe gpu, but it is the video would be better for a video intended to be informative. I thought the rest was pretty good otherwise.