• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unpopular opinion: GPU shortage is actually a good time

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This is kind of an inevitability anyway. Desktops are going the way of the dodo. I don’t think the shortage affects that timeline though.

Your words not mine; and history doesn't really have a strong indicator that they are. The only indicator is that the market is both diversifying and saturated on device usage. We gained mobile, we gained tablet, we gained laptop, and yet, enterprise is full of desktops and/or laptops connected to a screen on a desk, even if only just for ergonomic purposes; desktops still possess local processing power unmatched by any other device and deliver latencies and hardware upgrade cycles much faster and earlier to individuals.

In addition, PC is still the core machine for any development work and even with apps being huge these days, dev work still happens on a powerful desktop or laptop. I say desktop or laptop because I do see those as similar/same devices, its customizable hardware that runs any OS you want, instead of walled garden nonsense like consoles or mobiles have it - those are managed ecosystems built for consumers to buy stuff on. Its a different market that exists alongside the PC. It is, will be and has always been completely misguided to view those as a single market or at odds with one another - that only applies to the consumers that only consume and never get past it. However, both content consumption AND creation are major growth markets as they have always been. Irony has it that with more consumers you also need more creators to get content to consume.

Its the same thing for gaming. There are more games than there have ever been, the market generates more revenue than ever, and despite mobile and consoles growing YoY, the gaming PC is still here to stay. A few years of shite GPUs won't change that; cloud gaming won't change it; nor the fact people also use other devices to game on. There are no numbers backing that up. There are only numbers backing up a net growth and some shifts in the devices or services we use.

Last, a big aspect of the PC is the unmatched versatility and freedom. As gardens get more walls, the demand for such a free haven also increases or becomes more of a unique selling point. The demand for such devices, as a specific demand, not something 'nice to have'; is also growing - a similar trend that is a constant throughout history. People want control, and even more so when they feel it slipping away.

About glasses being half-full and all ;)

I wonder how many people know that you can max out textures (assuming that you have enough VRAM) and anisotropic filter without fps loss.

This... now rewind a few months about the big discussions on VRAM on Ampere GPUs and how none of it was true, Nvidia was doing all as intended and everything is fine when gen-over-gen GPUs actually lost more than half their VRAM per % of core performance. We also have a few bright lights on this forum - scientists even ;) - that keep yapping about how AFx16 and ultra textures are nonsensical or performance hogs and can easily be turned lower for a big advantage in some odd way. Goes to show how people have different takes on reality - even those who spout being knowledgeable. Its staggering to see how a few marketing blurbs distort people's sanity or things they've always considered logical.

Welcome to the internet :D We all do this though, whatever we think is true is our reality. The best we can do is learn as we go and admit we've been wrong. A quality many have forgotten lately, it seems; and I'll admit right here I can use a reminder from time to time myself.

Last edited:
System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
his... now rewind a few months about the big discussions on VRAM on Ampere GPUs and how none of it was true, Nvidia was doing all as intended and everything is fine when gen-over-gen GPUs actually lost more than half their VRAM per % of core performance. We also have a few bright lights on this forum - scientists even ;) - that keep yapping about how AFx16 and ultra textures are nonsensical or performance hogs and can easily be turned lower for a big advantage in some odd way. Goes to show how people have different takes on reality - even those who spout being knowledgeable. Its staggering to see how a few marketing blurbs distort people's sanity or things they've always considered logical.

Welcome to the internet :D We all do this though, whatever we think is true is our reality. The best we can do is learn as we go and admit we've been wrong. A quality many have forgotten lately, it seems; and I'll admit right here I can use a reminder from time to time myself.
And particularly anisotropic filtering one has been probably known pretty much since anisotropic filtering was made. Texture one I don't even know since when. As long as they fit, there's no performance impact of setting them higher. This stuff has been known since early AGP era and now we are in PCIe 4 era. This stuff is literally ancient, but perhaps integrated graphics don't work the same way. I dunno, I never had proper integrated graphics to test that.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Your words not mine; and history doesn't really have a strong indicator that they are. The only indicator is that the market is both diversifying and saturated on device usage.
I'm not sure if this is a glass-half-full take or just wishful thinking :) The writing's been on the wall for quite some time... Don't get me wrong -- I can't imagine desktops going away within this decade, but every market is moving to SoCs and SaaS.

Unfortunately, history actually is a strong indicator. The numbers are actually pretty stark — desktop sales are half of what they were ten years ago, while laptop and tablet sales have been increasing.
We gained mobile, we gained tablet, we gained laptop, and yet, enterprise is full of desktops and/or laptops connected to a screen on a desk, even if only just for ergonomic purposes;
Enterprise work is full of thin clients, tablets, and laptops, and more and more software is moving to SaaS (MS Office and Adobe being the "beacons" here).
In addition, PC is still the core machine for any development work and even with apps being huge these days, dev work still happens on a powerful desktop or laptop.
Most development happens on laptops... maybe if you’re talking about games, which only a minority of developers work on, but the vast majority of developers are working on the web. The processing power comes from a virtual machine in the cloud.

See also: https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/devecosystem-2020/
Its the same thing for gaming. There are more games than there have ever been, the market generates more revenue than ever, and despite mobile and consoles growing YoY, the gaming PC is still here to stay. A few years of shite GPUs won't change that; cloud gaming won't change it; nor the fact people also use other devices to game on. There are no numbers backing that up. There are only numbers backing up a net growth and some shifts in the devices or services we use.
I don't know -- maybe you have numbers that tell another story, but if the steam numbers posted here and the numbers I posted above are at all accurate, the answer is people are moving to mobile.
Last, a big aspect of the PC is the unmatched versatility and freedom. As gardens get more walls, the demand for such a free haven also increases or becomes more of a unique selling point. The demand for such devices, as a specific demand, not something 'nice to have'; is also growing - a similar trend that is a constant throughout history. People want control, and even more so when they feel it slipping away.
The numbers don't seem to bear this out at all... If anything, consumers seem to be willing to give up control -- people love iphones, dvd/blu-ray/CD/vinyl sales are going down while streaming services dominate, major motion picture studios are streaming on the day of theatrical release... the list goes on and on.

Desktops are becoming more and more of a niche, especially for what were traditionally the largest markets. Workstations still make sense for AV production and scientific research for the foreseeable future, but most markets are moving to distributed and cloud solutions or embedded SOCs, precisely because desktop products are overkill/inefficient for most buyers. It's only a matter of time before desktop as a service becomes mainstream.

Gaming will probably go this way, too — we’re just a super-profitable afterthought market at this point. The real money (and innovation) is in the enterprise, research, and cloud markets — the stuff we buy is just a trickle-down of all of the investment Intel/AMD/Nvidia puts into those markets.

No disrespect to PCs (I am on this forum after all, and I’ll never give up my mouse and keyboard!), but the future for consumers, enthusiasts, and workplaces is the cloud and DaaS, for better or worse. :(

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I'm not sure if this is a glass-half-full take or just wishful thinking :) The writing's been on the wall for quite some time... Don't get me wrong -- I can't imagine desktops going away within this decade, but every market is moving to SoCs and SaaS.

Unfortunately, history actually is a strong indicator. The numbers are actually pretty stark — desktop sales are half of what they were ten years ago, while laptop and tablet sales have been increasing.

Enterprise work is full of thin clients, tablets, and laptops, and more and more software is moving to SaaS (MS Office and Adobe being the "beacons" here).

Most development happens on laptops... maybe if you’re talking about games, which only a minority of developers work on, but the vast majority of developers are working on the web. The processing power comes from a virtual machine in the cloud.

See also: https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/devecosystem-2020/

I don't know -- maybe you have numbers that tell another story, but if the steam numbers posted here and the numbers I posted above are at all accurate, the answer is people are moving to mobile.

The numbers don't seem to bear this out at all... If anything, consumers seem to be willing to give up control -- people love iphones, dvd/blu-ray/CD/vinyl sales are going down while streaming services dominate, major motion picture studios are streaming on the day of theatrical release... the list goes on and on.

Desktops are becoming more and more of a niche, especially for what were traditionally the largest markets. Workstations still make sense for AV production and scientific research for the foreseeable future, but most markets are moving to distributed and cloud solutions or embedded SOCs, precisely because desktop products are overkill/inefficient for most buyers. It's only a matter of time before desktop as a service becomes mainstream.

Gaming will probably go this way, too — we’re just a super-profitable afterthought market at this point. The real money (and innovation) is in the enterprise, research, and cloud markets — the stuff we buy is just a trickle-down of all of the investment Intel/AMD/Nvidia puts into those markets.

No disrespect to PCs (I am on this forum after all, and I’ll never give up my mouse and keyboard!), but the future for consumers, enthusiasts, and workplaces is the cloud and DaaS, for better or worse. :(

Trends that may or may not work out this way. I think its a mistake to consider desktop a norm as it really never was; it was always catering to a subset of users. This market is so big... its ever more diverse alongside it. Was there ever a typical PC gamer? The nerd of yesteryear isnt it... the PC nerd that is. This wotld moves fast. But the basic needs really havent.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Not 1 game maker will be producing for old architecture, to even mention that? Yeah, lets build XP games....

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Not 1 game maker will be producing for old architecture, to even mention that? Yeah, lets build XP games....
What architecture? No software is made for any specific architecture.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
i could not agree more, "hardtimes" it brings out the best in all things and when "when" we can get hold of the gpu of our dreams we will enjoy it all the more. i find this a very up lifting post .thanks.
ps i think with china banning mining the rest of world will have to follow "im not judging miners, guys do what thay have to do to make a living" but i think by christmas the gpu situation will be back to normal " fingers crossed".

Last edited:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
ps i think with china banning mining the rest of world will have to follow "im not judging miners, guys do what thay have to do to make a living" but i think by christmas the gpu situation will be back to normal " fingers crossed".
Funny.
I don't mean to be rude but Miners are a plague that must be eliminated otherwise the GPU shortage won't end any time soon.

Last edited:
Funny.
I don't mean to be rude but Miners are a plague that must be eliminated otherwise the GPU shortage won't end any time soon.
I'm against miners because of their environmental impact and the fact they waste power thus increasing the demand on already strained power grids.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
We all waste power, ive got solar but it dont give me power 24/7 i use far too much. i be a hipo-crite to say any diff. its really not a guy with a few cards trying there luck its these huge gpu farms whats the real problem one farm can use more power than a small city.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
its really not a guy with a few cards
A guy with a few few cards + another one with a few cards too and you continue adding more guys with a few cards all together become a problem.
Hope you got my point.

yes you are quite right, but where do we draw the line , none of us can take the higher ground we are all killing the planet its just some are doing more and to want more is human nature bud.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
A guy with a few few cards + another one with a few cards too and you continue adding more guys with a few cards all together become a problem.
Hope you got my point.

If we allow systems to exist where capital can be used to generate more capital we have created a wasteful practice. Its that simple and if its not mining its something else - such as the 'get rich' mentality of liberal societies. All this will always only work at the expense of others. After all, my rich is your poor, Ill always get more faster - this is as old as human history. And so all these guys with a few cards are really pissing in the wind. Theyre not getting rich - some whales are getting a whole lot richer. So we get some more GPUs...

The problem isnt mining. Its the concept crypto floats on right now. Proof of Stake is supposed to change that but its really more of the same, and much alike the real world and its stock markets.

yes you are quite right, but where do we draw the line , none of us can take the higher ground we are all killing the planet its just some are doing more and to want more is human nature bud.

To want more is indeed human nature, a fundamental problem that requires robust and dynamic systems to keep in check. Systems we try to erode daily.

what it all boils down to is Population, theres too many people and we still keep growing and we all want more. i dont think we can change im mean the writings on the wall and its been there for a long time but nobody truly reads it "me for one".

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
what it all boils down to is Population, theres too many people and we still keep growing and we all want more. i dont think we can change im mean the writings on the wall and its been there for a long time but nobody truly reads it "me for one".

1 child politics. I say go. Less people = higher quality of life for everyone, it is that simple. But its totally against human instinct :)

When I think about this stuff, I can't help but think of sci-fi, and how species are all on a similar learning curve - how you progress through technologies, attain a higher form of understanding of how things could work, etc. Its like Stellaris is happening right in front of us :p Time for us to make an evolutional leap?

Anyway, GPUs. I kinda want one soon-ish :p

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
The GPU/semiconductor shortage is a bad thing if you're an American adult with a retirement account or pension fund.

These companies are leaving money on the table because supply cannot meet demand. Note that the inflated prices driven by scalpers do not line the pockets of the big corporations nor their investors. Increased shareholder value is stifled because these companies are unable to grow as fast as the market is calling for.

Note that the general semiconductor shortage also affects other big industries like auto and aerospace. It basically causes a trickle down effect to anything that has semiconductors in it which is practically everything powered by electricity these days.

So it's not just the Nvidias, Intels, AMDs, TSMCs, and Samsungs of the world that are affected. The semiconductor shortage affects all big business and thus all investments in those companies.

Ultimately supply and demand will come back into balance at some point but steady availability is better than massive shortages. Price gouging only benefits a few and not in a way that really benefits the typical investor.

I bought a wimpy Sapphire Radeon RX 550 2GB (for an SFF productivity build) in September for $65, about $14 less than the $79 launch price of the AMD reference card. $65 is what a Lexa Pro card was honestly worth. A week ago, these were going for $300 from Amazon third-party resellers. That is 4.6x what it was nine months ago.

Four. Year. Old. Graphics. Card.

The only ones who benefit from the GPU shortage are price gougers.

The semiconductor shortage only benefits the price gougers. Everyone else loses including people who invest in Fortune 500 companies for retirement. Heck, it affects people who just need to buy a webcam because of work-from-home COVID-19 policies or if you're some construction worker trying to buy a new pickup truck.

Cryptocurrency mining is rather stupid anyhow. The smart ones don't shell their money on silicon. They just buy the cryptocurrency. In the same way, you'd be crazy to think you'd get rich from Amazon by going to work for them as a delivery driver. You're better off buying AMZN shares.

Remember that most of the world's wealth is from investments not from wages. Moreover cryptocurrency investment gains (at least in the USA) are taxed as ordinary income; there is no accommodation for long-term capital gains. If you had $10,000 you'd be better off buying NVDA, TSLA, and AMZN instead of buying five RTX 3080 cards. If your appetite for risk is considerable, go ahead and buy some cryptocurrency. Just remember that as a financial instrument, cryptocurrencies routinely lose 50% of their value in short periods. Better off diversifying and not going all in on a risky bet.

No one is going to get rich mining. It might buy some groceries, maybe even pay rent.

Remember that companies that use semiconductors have several options. One is to increase product prices and pass the cost to the consumer. That hits YOUR wallet. Another option would be for manufacturers to eat the extra costs and see their margins erode. Shareholders don't like that. The primary duty of a publicly traded company is to increase shareholder value. That's why we see prices go up.

Last edited:
System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
- Popular opinion: if you want to get attention, pick any negative, controversial topic, and say publicly its a good thing !
That's still way better than 100th thread about some sore looser crying about RTX 3080 being expensive.

We all waste power, ive got solar but it dont give me power 24/7 i use far too much. i be a hipo-crite to say any diff. its really not a guy with a few cards trying there luck its these huge gpu farms whats the real problem one farm can use more power than a small city.
Definitely. But when I'm having rolling power outages I definitely wonder if miners aren't contributing to that -- especially during the summer, when it's 100°F and their mining produces even more heat load because they have to run their aircon more often.

1 child politics. I say go. Less people = higher quality of life for everyone, it is that simple. But its totally against human instinct :)

When I think about this stuff, I can't help but think of sci-fi, and how species are all on a similar learning curve - how you progress through technologies, attain a higher form of understanding of how things could work, etc. Its like Stellaris is happening right in front of us :p Time for us to make an evolutional leap?

Anyway, GPUs. I kinda want one soon-ish :p
The People's "Republic" of China tried the one child policy and little infant girls ended up getting killed en mass because of it.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Looks like all 3070 Ti's have effectively pushed out 3080's LHR from the market, at least at caseking. You now have a choice between 3070 Ti at around €900 and 3080 non-LHR for €1400+.

1625219556973.png

1625219578302.png

AMD options are still overpriced:
1625219772527.png

Overall it looks like availability is improving but prices will take weeks if not months before (if ever) they come down to MSRP.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Looks like all 3070 Ti's have effectively pushed out 3080's LHR from the market, at least at caseking. You now have a choice between 3070 Ti at around €900 and 3080 non-LHR for €1400+.

View attachment 206224

View attachment 206225

View attachment 206226

Overall it looks like availability is improving but prices will take weeks if not months before (if ever) they come down to MSRP.
That's nice and all, but I think that the biggest problem now is that no manufacturer has a proper mid tier card at 200-300 Euros and at about 150W TDP. It seems that nV and AMD are now only serving rich people and people willing to spend a lot on their hobbies. I guess that's a good strategy, if you know you wouldn't be able to sell lots of units, so you sell less at more. Perhaps things will recover, but imo loosing top tier cards isn't a loss to gamer, the real loss to us are those mid-tier bang for the buck cards that have mass appeal. I would dare to say that pretty much any xTX xx70/xx80 card has been mostly irrelevant and very unimportant, same for AMD.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel

View attachment 206224

View attachment 206225

View attachment 206226

Whatever you buy from Caseking it's always more expensive than other sellers.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
That's nice and all, but I think that the biggest problem now is that no manufacturer has a proper mid tier card at 200-300 Euros and at about 150W TDP. It seems that nV and AMD are now only serving rich people and people willing to spend a lot on their hobbies. I guess that's a good strategy, if you know you wouldn't be able to sell lots of units, so you sell less at more. Perhaps things will recover, but imo loosing top tier cards isn't a loss to gamer, the real loss to us are those mid-tier bang for the buck cards that have mass appeal. I would dare to say that pretty much any xTX xx70/xx80 card has been mostly irrelevant and very unimportant, same for AMD.
You're still stuck in 2017 era of "mid tier. 200-300 € is no longer "mid tier", not with 1440p and 4K high refresh rates gaining more popularity. With 4K 144 Hz gaining ground mid tier will now be 1440p high refresh rate. 200-300€ is now the low-mid tier but yeah, there's nothing out there brand new that matches this price range. Unless this changes low end will be down to whether or not you want to buy a console and use basic PC for office stuff.
Whatever you buy from Caseking it's always more expensive than other sellers.
It's the only German retailer that's shipping outside of Germany to Poland (yeah yeah, mindfactory ships to Austria and Denmark or something like that). I'm well aware of their prices being higher than the competition. It's still cheaper than prices in Poland right now (but I'm not touching them unless they match the MSRP).

Last edited: