• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek Modded Audio Driver for Windows 10/11 - Only for HDAUDIO

skbak

I'm getting a severe performance hit after installing and setting up (to the best of my abilities, at least) the latest release.

The sound blaster connect is unable to detect a device as well.

@teaykhuad, I have not started with the OEM universal Dolby APO, I gave Alan the info but I am not sure what he's done with it.
Alan's version is a fair amount different in programming than the OEM universal one, which uses different FX.

Support for it most certainly can be added (if not already present), however a self licensing app is not likely.

----

@MathePro, yes with some modifications, I was able in some part unlock Atmos for Home Theatre on SPDIF for example.

----

@skbak, that's one for Alan, as this is not my driver package, I can assure you if things are up-to-date with DTS, its not DTS.

Last edited:

throbbingmember

so ive never been able to get dts connect working
the options are there but it still doesnt play dialog in the center channel
im using a gigabyte aorus master x570
im using analog inputs 7.1
would much rather have Pro Logic II but cant find it alan finotty's drivers

That's the patched Realtek APO, it shows the controls but does nothing with them. To be honest APO4 with multichannel and E-APO stereo upmixer, connect is redundant.
DTS Connect is a two part system, DTS Interactive (5.1 analogue to 5.1 digital DTS transcoder), and DTS Neo PC (stereo expander for stereo).

Unfortunately more often than not, Neo PC will make noise in expanding the stereo, this common for expand.

----

1624494112519.png
1624494469561.png
1624494589169.png

Last edited:
@teaykhuad, I have not started with the OEM universal Dolby APO, I gave Alan the info but I am not sure what he's done with it.
Alan's version is a fair amount different in programming than the OEM universal one, which uses different FX.

Support for it most certainly can be added (if not already present), however a self licensing app is not likely.

----

@MathePro, yes with some modifications, I was able in some part unlock Atmos for Home Theatre on SPDIF for example.

----

@skbak, that's one for Alan, as this is not my driver package, I can assure you if things are up-to-date with DTS, its not DTS.
Amazing man, thats what i need, "able in some part unlock Atmos for Home Theatre on SPDIF". How can i do it? i have the Dolby Atmos for headphones paid version( i buy it years ago).

Alan can probably do it with just the FX system, else you need to trick Windows into thinking the analogue portion is HDMI, which is much harder to make work properly.
I still have not worked on the Dolby APO yet, I minorly scratched it with Alans files. I'm trying to push SPDIF with Windows and DTS-Dolby, its 125mpbs.

1.png2.png

'Atmos for Home Theatre on SPDIF' sounds neat, but wouldn't it be only useful if the receiving device (receiver or sound system) is able to decode Atmos when it's presented through SPDIF? Since this is not the 'expected' route for the receiving device, normally it's presented via HDMI, they might not support it at all.

Anything that can run on headphones or speakers can run on HDMI and SPDIF, the 3.5mm pins etc, which are analogue can only transport analogue (no digital).
Both HDMI-DP and SPDIF have two operating modes, analogue (same as speakers), and digital, digital uses exclusive mode and direct data.

In terms of aggregate sample rate, it should be down to the receiver, which decodes the digital to analogue.

----

Digital steam carrying audio + other -> Receiver must understand and process all the audio and data.
Pre-processed audio with all effects -> Audio out with spatial, so on.

Last edited:
Yes and I'm referring to the 'it should be down to the receiver, which decodes the digital to analogue' part. A receiver won't be expecting Dolby Atmos (or DTS:X for that matter) over SPDIF, so there's a chance it won't support it via that input, while technically it can decode it just fine. But then again, we won't know unless we try :).

True, but also false at the same time, I have a high spec HDMI Extractor (HDMI 2.0b), gifted by a friend, which does all formats, and supports 192khz 32 bit.
My older AMD GPU is an R7 370 (can be flashed to R9 370), with only HDMI 1.4a, it supports DTS-HD MA, max bitrate 24.5 Mbps.

Here is the strange part, as mentioned the extractor does TrueHD, and TrueHD max bitrate is 18 Mbps.

1.png

Both formats go up to 24-bit/192 kHz per channel.

----

HDMI 1.4 Feature Comparison Chart | C2G (cablestogo.com)
1277913766_AVR_1611.pdf (mislimited.co.uk)

HDR UHD HDMI audio converter / HDMI audio extractor

HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2

- Supports sampling rates up to 192 kHz, 32 bit, 3D-capable
- Supports integrated audio EDID switch LPCM2, 5.1 / 7.1 or bitstream
- HDMI audio formats: PCM2, 5.1 / 7.1CH, Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1, Dolby-TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS-X, Dolby Atmos
- Digital audio output (Toslink): PCM2, Dolby 2 / 5.1, DTS 2 / 5.1

- Frequency bandwidth: 18Gbps
- Input: 1x HDMI socket
- Output: 1x analog (stereo), 1x Toslink output (digital) 1x HDMI socket
- Dimensions: Length (depth): 73.5mm, Width: 60.7mm, Height: 17mm
- Operating voltage: 5 V

====

I did a bitrate test on my ALC 889 SPDIF, Toslink, still not sure what's its max is (bitrate and aggregate sample rate), but it will send 8 channels, 192khz, 32 bit (~51mpbs), I cant test further than 8 channels.

I made my own DTS-HD MA 5.1, 192khz 24bit, with a 5.1 core, 96khz 24bit. Bitrate: 18.4mbps | 12.2mbps. My Z906 will only playback the core and dump the rest.
Ignore the 2 channel 16 readout, it always shows that with DTS tracks for some reason. I intentionally disabled interactive.

As expected, Potplayer entered DTS-HD passthrough, my Z906 played back all channels correctly.

1.png

Last edited:
So do you use the SPDIF on the mainboard or the HDMI audio extractor to output to your Z906? If it is the latter, I then don't understand what Realtek has to do with it? Or does the Realtek APO also work on other audio outputs, in this case HDMI?

The specs of the HDMI audio extractor lists that it strips 'fancier' formats like Atmos or DTS:X to its core of 5.1 channel.
'Digital audio output (Toslink): PCM2, Dolby 2 / 5.1, DTS 2 / 5.1'

As I understand it, both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are lossless formats, so a higher bitrate is not necessarily 'better'. But due to difference in compression algorithm, the resulting bitrate can of course differ.

---EDIT---
Ah I now see in the pictures / attachments of your post. You use both the Z906 and a Denon 1611 receiver?
If you output 8 channel LPCM via SPDIF, does the receiver understand this? Or does it have to be encoded into DTS (or Dolby) for it to work?

Last edited:
System Name Snk3 PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 3
Cooling CM Hyper H410R
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT Gray 2x8GB 2666MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
Storage Crucial BX500 SSD 240GB + Western Digital HDD 3TB + XrayDisk NVME 256GB
Display(s) TCL 40S6500FS
Case Sharkoon TG5 Red
Audio Device(s) Logitech G933 AS Snow + OneOdio A71 + Samsung HT-C550
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Logitech G603 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
Software Windows 10 PRO 21H1
The only issue I am having for now is with the Smart Amp, sometimes even being on and at level 3, it sounds like level 1 (not sure if it happens after I change input) or deactivated, then I have to switch level and switch back do level 3 to get higher volume, any tip to fix it or keep always on 3? Thanks.

View attachment 204909

I have another question, how can I get ASIO working in foobar2000? It's set there but musics does not play.

Anyone? At least if I can fix smart amp thing, it's really annoying.

Alan can probably do it with just the FX system, else you need to trick Windows into thinking the analogue portion is HDMI, which is much harder to make work properly.
I still have not worked on the Dolby APO yet, I minorly scratched it with Alans files. I'm trying to push SPDIF with Windows and DTS-Dolby, its 125mpbs.

View attachment 205236View attachment 205237

Amazing, i think Dolby doesnt do that cause they dont want to spend any mney u know, its not proft for then. i mean, u can do "virtual surround dolby atmos on any headphones", but not on a normal 5.1ch system??? how thats make sense? imagine that, they call it a "object audio" so it doesnt matter how many channels u have cause its all on a virtual plane and the decoder says how much sound each speaker gnna get, on a old system of surround sound each channl had its own track. so, its way easy to do that on pc and just send to a discret 5.1/7.1 ch system, but they dont wanna that. If u see now, u have to pay a good amount to have atmos, so why im gonna buy a expensive system if i can steel using my old one?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85M-D3H
Memory 8,00 Go (7,89 Go utilisable
Video Card(s) GPU 1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/ GPU 0 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Display(s) Samsung Q60T
Case Zalman case
Mouse USB NGS
Keyboard Old Dell keyboard
Amazing, i think Dolby doesnt do that cause they dont want to spend any mney u know, its not proft for then. i mean, u can do "virtual surround dolby atmos on any headphones", but not on a normal 5.1ch system??? how thats make sense? imagine that, they call it a "object audio" so it doesnt matter how many channels u have cause its all on a virtual plane and the decoder says how much sound each speaker gnna get, on a old system of surround sound each channl had its own track. so, its way easy to do that on pc and just send to a discret 5.1/7.1 ch system, but they dont wanna that. If u see now, u have to pay a good amount to have atmos, so why im gonna buy a expensive system if i can steel using my old one?
There's a difference from the space between your ears with a headphone (where it sticked to the head) and a audio system (where it's farthest), and so, it's not the same emulating or creating virtual surround on a headphone that on a audio system.

In my opinion Atmos or DTS:X --> 5.1 (or 7.1) discrete channels is more like a 'downmix' thing, not so much an emulation thing. The decoder will have to decide how much 'sound' each discrete channel gets based on the virtual position of the sound object in Atmos/DTS:X.

Atmos and DTS:X expand on channels, for example height speakers, unseen with 7.1 audio, in fact it has to be compressed, no common analogue system supports more than 8 channel processing.
In a lot of ways, spatial is like throwing your voice, where for example the front is played as normal, but side and rear audio is thrown from stereo speakers (or headphones).

Object data is much the same, and imo essentially layers on top of spatial, where the object is thrown from stereo speakers, or multichannel.
On stereo, you need to emulate virtual speakers, with multichannel, it should only emulate height or extra channels.

With 5.1 (6 channel), you can tell it to process the extra 2 channels in 8 channel audio as virtual side, between the front and rear.

1.png

The registry part is setup by the driver (DTS DCH).

What Is DTS Virtual:X? (crutchfield.com)

Last edited:

David V.

DTS Sound Unbound does not work, any solution?

Attachments

• 1624683305511.png
    1624683305511.png
    350 KB · Views: 104
Odd, looks like the right version, disable store updates (Store app, settings), then uninstall Sound Unbound. Right click 7-zip and run as admin, locate: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\
Delete the DTS Sound Unbound Folder (hold shift and delete), then restart your computer, then install the provided Sound Unbound (with license).

1624721783952.png

David V.

I did the process and it still doesn't work

the strange thing is that when I installed the driver for the first time everything worked normally and when yesterday I turned on the pc dts it no longer worked.

Check APO4 is running, else I am not sure, I used that app for a good few months no issues, before purchasing my own license.

drnick88101

Hello. I was wondering what the differences were between Creative 360, 720, and Cinema 5? I tried using all of them but couldnt really notice a big difference. Is one of them better than the others in your opinion? Also basically the same question but with Dolby Atmos Speaker System vs Dolby Atmos for Gaming. Again I didnt really notice a big difference. Thanks for this package, btw. I love it!

If Alan merges his files with the OEM data, he should be able to unlock all the Dolby apps, however self licensing might be harder. I have not tried it myself.

Hello. I was wondering what the differences were between Creative 360, 720, and Cinema 5? I tried using all of them but couldnt really notice a big difference. Is one of them better than the others in your opinion? Also basically the same question but with Dolby Atmos Speaker System vs Dolby Atmos for Gaming. Again I didnt really notice a big difference. Thanks for this package, btw. I love it!
The sound blaster tools are basically the same as far as functions in different orderly ways, in my case i use sound blaster 720 which allows me to activate 7.1.
The differences are that Dolby Atmos Speaker System has a clearer, more crystalline sound and Dolby Atmos for Gaming has more bass, for me this one is more useful because I have headphones with a very clear sound and I like the bass. the dolby tools are not perfect, and I have noticed that sometimes in dynamic adjustment they lower some sounds that should not be lowered. at the moment I am testing boom3d this setting is quite interesting because it highlights the background sounds without losing the fidelity of the different channels

If Alan merges his files with the OEM data, he should be able to unlock all the Dolby apps, however self licensing might be harder. I have not tried it myself.
It would be great to have something new for dolby

Attachments

• boom.jpg
    boom.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Boom3D - Is one of my suggested ones to try, Its in my top 3. It mostly replaces the Realtek panel and adds more features.
Boom 3D Desktop Review: Surround Yourself with Better Audio on Windows & Mac - Make Tech Easier

Also note, if you want more quality, stop using conductive circuit.

----

To put that into perspective, in a short way, if I tuned my analogue TV badly, I get static from space, which is very old.
Why, because metal conducts, this is how antenna work, Wifi, even faulty lights can effect quality.

----

I used to have SPDIF headphones (Tritton 720+), but I don't like headphones, as after about 1 hour my ears hurt. Here are the specs you need to know about SPDIF.

1.png2.png
3.png4.png

As you can see, multichannel 48khz 24bit, is more than doable down SPDIF, regardless you guys are interested in stereo PCM.
If you do your research you should be able to find better than 720+, with DTS and maybe HDMI.

----

Another option, is to turn your GPU, into almost a full soundcard, using an HDMI Extractor (example unit).
In my case, I also added DTS:X (APO4), and Interactive (Interactive:X), my GPU is only HDMI 1.4a.

----

Exclusive mode test, bitstreaming turned off (else WASAPI is weird).

Last edited: