• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I just switched to Linux Mint (latest beta release) I AM FREAKING IN LOVE!!! TAKE CARE WINDOWS 10 and 11 LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
I've never had any problem with my realtek audio.
That's not a dedicated sound card. Those are historically very poorly supported. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has Creative Sound Blaster card and attempts to use linux, likely has a very "fun" time. Hours of terminal hell and in the end just give up and use cheapo integrated Realtek. And even if Creative card somehow works, getting EAX to work is probably impossible. And if you have Aureal card, well that's likely even worse.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
That's not a dedicated sound card. Those are historically very poorly supported. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has Creative Sound Blaster card and attempts to use linux, likely has a very "fun" time. Hours of terminal hell and in the end just give up and use cheapo integrated Realtek. And even if Creative card somehow works, getting EAX to work is probably impossible. And if you have Aureal card, well that's likely even worse.
True, I've never really got into using DAC's. I have used Dedicated sound cards for a long time back in my battlefield days when they used EAX, but I stopped using my sound blaster audigy gamer a couple years ago. My Sennheiser HD 518's don't really need a DAC's either. I'm sure if these ever died i'll probably move up to something that will need one. I think this is derailing this thread. If you are having problems with your Topping D10 working with Mint then make a new thread. We have a good amount of knowledgeable users here that will try to help solve your issue. But at the end of the day if it's not compatible with Mint then you may need to get something that is compatible to use the OS like what @lynx29 is using. :toast:

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Mint is way more compatible than Windows with external components
I quote myself:

....... it was only when Mint would not run my new GPU at the time (Radeon VII) I had to find another distro that would work with it and Peppermint was the ticket.
BTW PM10 is just as easy to use as Mint TBH.
This is why I ditched Mint for Peppermint 10.
Don't be suprised if you should encounter problems with drivers with any distro, it happens but you'd think at least Mint would update their drivers for newer AMD cards. I tried the Mint release that came AFTER my Radeon VII was released and it was still not supported - Always threw a warning about and did run in CPU rendering mode.

Peppermint isn't perfect either, Ubuntu, Mint or any other you can name but for most Mint is an excellent place to start, the only reason why I'm throwing Peppermint in is it's just as easy to use as Mint. If you have a newer AMD GPU chances are Peppermint is going to work - With Mint, based on what I ran into it may not work properly.

Try a few distros and see what works and does not is the only real suggestion I can make here.

D

Deleted member 202104

Do you know if there is a way to filter this site to show only gold and platinum games and I can scroll down that list?

Choose Explore from top menu list, then sort by ProtonDB Rating.

Proton.jpg

So first impressions so far today... it's smooth!!! So smooth! It's very user friendly... I have already installed Steam with two clicks, updated all my drivers from the welcome window that pops up on first install, installed proprietary Nvidia driver, got gsync working.

Steam has an awesome feature that only loads automatically compatible Linux games in your library, so I don't have to sift through the store page for each game to see if it is compatible... got two games going so far and no issues at all.

Got firefox all set up as well, 0 issues... honestly... I really see no need for Windows anymore, I already prefer Libreoffice (even when I had windows) and Libreoffice is default on Linux, and it works fantastic.

For a basic user who just browses the web (mostly TPU) and plays older games and indie games... there is seriously no reason to even have Windows anymore. I tried Ubuntu earlier in the year and it felt a little laggy from time to time, but this latest Linux Mint release feels perfect. It's been a seamless transition for me.

It feels good to finally be free. :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
Have you installed WINE? I tried through the software manager and it says it's installed though I have no option to use WINE when right clicking an .exe, also tried doing it manually with not much success, I think it may be down to the fact it is a BETA release and so new, may use the previous release as I am not a Linux expert and it is frustrating trying to google for an answer

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
I've been running an x-fi fatal1ty pci sound card and an asus xonar dg pci soundcard in 2 different linux systems for years. No messing about in the console, just plug and play.
I've even taken the sound blaster zx out of my main system and threw it in a media pc running kubuntu and it also just works. *edit* I've also been running an old pci razer barracuda ac-1 soundcard and it always just worked.

I built a midrange amd-fx based piledriver 'steambox' back in the day when steam first came to linux. Playing linux native games was a breeze, and now with proton things are even better. The only problem I've run into recently is that vulkan stopped working in proton past version 4.16 on my old 7970.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Have you installed WINE? I tried through the software manager and it says it's installed though I have no option to use WINE when right clicking an .exe, also tried doing it manually with not much success, I think it may be down to the fact it is a BETA release and so new, may use the previous release as I am not a Linux expert and it is frustrating trying to google for an answer

no, I have no need for Wine, I have plenty of game backlog that is native to linux or proton works with them, so I really just don't need WINE yet... I'll try it out in a year or two maybe

So first impressions so far today... it's smooth!!! So smooth! It's very user friendly... I have already installed Steam with two clicks, updated all my drivers from the welcome window that pops up on first install, installed proprietary Nvidia driver, got gsync working.

Steam has an awesome feature that only loads automatically compatible Linux games in your library, so I don't have to sift through the store page for each game to see if it is compatible... got two games going so far and no issues at all.

Got firefox all set up as well, 0 issues... honestly... I really see no need for Windows anymore, I already prefer Libreoffice (even when I had windows) and Libreoffice is default on Linux, and it works fantastic.

For a basic user who just browses the web (mostly TPU) and plays older games and indie games... there is seriously no reason to even have Windows anymore. I tried Ubuntu earlier in the year and it felt a little laggy from time to time, but this latest Linux Mint release feels perfect. It's been a seamless transition for me.

It feels good to finally be free. :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
Mint is my very favorite flavor of Linux! Which GUI did you choose? Mate, Cinnamon or XFCE? My fav is XFCE.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Well that's great, but doesn't change the fact that Xonar DG doesn't work and many other sound cards don't work.
Correct - i'm with you that windows has better driver support

I just also see that linux has made huge strides forward recently, its a lot better than 5 years ago

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Its still pretty bad thought if you got a older GPU your out of luck

I just also see that linux has made huge strides forward recently, its a lot better than 5 years ago

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Its still pretty bad thought if you got a older GPU your out of luck
What GPUs?

It seems odd to me that some of you are having trouble with drivers... I’ve kept a Linux install on all my PCs since 2003 or so and haven’t had any issues with sound cards or GPUs. Printers, scanners, and non-Realtek WiFi have been the only real problem devices for me.

Edit: oh and touchscreens, but that’s not really surprising.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I recall having a nightmare on a thin client system i was trying to turn into a NAS, because no matter what it just WOULD NOT install the intel graphics drivers

Skip on about 3 months of using it on windows and i realised it was S3 graphics and not intel (and linux back then just couldnt auto detect it for me)

Space Lynx

Astronaut

ya if I was getting same issues I was getting even a year or two ago I would have went straight back to windows... i'm really surprised how... everything just works and no issue. it's kind of weird. lol this latest beta nailed it. well done whoever the Linux Mint team is. (don't get me wrong there are a few things you need to do, like change to the driver to nvidia, but it makes everything so easy... just follow the welcome screen step by step. thats all I did and its working great)

also how the heck do they make money??? just donations? or does firefox pay them a lot to use firefox exclusively etc?

also how the heck do they make money??? just donations? or does firefox pay them a lot to use firefox exclusively etc?

I don't know but I think a Firefox deal is probably as good a guess as any. Donations seems a bit too scrimpy.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
Mint is great. I have used Mint cinnamon for a very long time but I have to move to Arch when I upgraded my Laptop as I needed a newer kernel.

Mint is using an old kernel and even the newest beta uses 5.4 kernel. I needed 5.11 atleast since it has a patch that benefits my laptop.

Oh as for games, Linux is good for it although newer AAA title still not best. Its like few fps less compared to windows. I still dual boot though because games with anti-cheats will get you banned if you are using linux.

Oh if you have full amd cpu and gpu, check out corectrl and if you want an in game overlay for fps, clocks and temps check out mangohud.

enjoy

D

Deleted member 202104

From https://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php

Why donate money? Linux Mint is free of cost and doesn't generate any direct sort of income. It is funded by advertising, sponsoring and donations and although it is financially supported by its own community of users, its ambition is to compete with projects which are backed by large companies such as Microsoft, Apple, RedHat, Novell and Canonical.

How is the money used? The money is used to finance the needs of the distribution, to pay for hosting, to advertise on other websites, to purchase equipment and to fund the work of the people behind it.

To me, it's worth a monthly donation.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
ut I have to move to Arch when I upgraded my Laptop as I needed a newer kernel.

Mint is using an old kernel and even the newest beta uses 5.4 kernel. I needed 5.11 atleast since it has a patch that benefits my laptop.

What does this mean older kernel? Does it mean I'd be more secure and games do even better if I moved to latest kernel with Arch distro?

edit: nm a quick look at Arch, I can tell its a lot more complicated than Mint right away... so will have to stick with Mint anyway just for the user friendly part of it.

D

Deleted member 202104

Mint is great. I have used Mint cinnamon for a very long time but I have to move to Arch when I upgraded my Laptop as I needed a newer kernel.

5.11 is available as a click and install on Mint 20.1 (this might be Edge)

Kernels.png

What does this mean older kernel? Does it mean I'd be more secure and games do even better if I moved to latest kernel with Arch distro?

edit: nm a quick look at Arch, I can tell its a lot more complicated than Mint right away... so will have to stick with Mint anyway just for the user friendly part of it.

There's a couple of places to see what version Kernel you're running. Quickest way is to open a terminal (GASP!) and type:

Bash:
uname -a

You'll see what you're running like:

uname.png

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise

And another pain point is offline driver installation. If you don't do that stuff through driver manager, it's going to be major pain in ass. And it's not only drivers, basically any software that you download like that and attempt to install not through some software manager or with sudo apt-get, is going to be hell. Seriously, I tired using some other driver for that stupid TP-Link TL-WN721N and that was my only network connected device as I don't have cable in my room. And all I remember is that some dude explained how to do it online and that was pretty much rewriting kernel itself and praying that it works. Needless to say, I failed at that spectacularly. I got out nothing and ended up unearthing RJ45. Obviously wifi adapter never worked, because after certain kernel update, driver breaks and nobody give a shit about fixing it. I also tried installing FreeOffice, because I liked it better than LibreOffice. Too bad they only let you downlead files online and then you have to do some console wizardry to make it install itself. It was 2020, why on Earth I can't just double click it to install it? Needless to day, I failed spectacularly again and I wasn't able to install it. And the last stupid thing are package managers. I was just deleting some stuff that I thought was bloat, basically bunch of printer plug ins and what not. I deleted the wrong one and my desktop was gone and linux didn't boot up properly. I'm pretty sure that it's either unfixable or would require some good CLI knowledge to fix. I swear, shit like this is why I am put off for good from linux.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
5.11 is available as a click and install on Mint 20.1 (this might be Edge)

View attachment 205577

There's a couple of places to see what version Kernel you're running. Quickest way is to open a terminal (GASP!) and type:

Bash:
uname -a

You'll see what you're running like:

View attachment 205578

I'll give it a shot, I wouldn't be surprised if latest beta which I am on is default 5.11, hence beta. but I will double check and report back tomorrow. for now gnite!

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)

newer hardware requires newer kernel since optimization and drivers and baked into kernels.

Yeah arch is not really recommended those who dont like non gui. Try Manjaro if you want to try Arch base. Consider it like a "polished" arch.

But dont get turned off by arch way of installation. They have now a built in non-gui installation and its easy.

I made a video on a vm. Just type archinstall and it wil guide you on the whole installation process.

to all mod: delete if not allowed.

you can choose whatever DE you want. I chose KDE since its my favorite.

Of course you need to search about arch package manager, but once you got it, its actually one of the easiest to manage. All you need is pacman and aur helper (yay, paru,etc) or if you want gui package manager, you have pamac

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
@lynx29 i suppose then I should credit you with planting Linux seeds in my brain again? :laugh:

kub 21.04.png

I took 20.2 Mate for a quick spin, but still just couldn't get away from KDE in the end. Though, if Ubuntu ends up adopting Gnome 40, it could bring me back to the good ol Ubuntu.

I don't know what they changed from 20.04 to 21.04 but when I'm on battery I run both much cooler (no need for undervolt at barely 60C fanless in daily tasks), much quieter (100% fanless), and much longer (weirdly better battery life) than on either Windows or Kub 20.04. Super.

Quickest way is to open a terminal (GASP!)

:D

As a linux noob that's basically me every other week. "Ugh really? terminal again? what did I ever do to deserve this unfinished OS" :roll: I will say, though, starting to get comfrotable living inside Konsole - much easier on the eyes than Powershell even with teal background

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.